The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 10-31-2012, 06:11 PM   #351
Sun_Down
There's No Crying in Noir

Default Re: The Official Zack Snyder Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shield View Post
Yes, that's what's been said. But I think he's had a little more of an influence then they would like to let on. That's just me. One thing is for sure, he has a lot to do with everyone being tight lipped.
See, I have a hard time buying this. If anything, WB would want to emphasize his involvement.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:33 PM   #352
Gabe99
Side-Kick

'Steel' this movie
Superman and his new director dish on next summer’s reinvention of the world’s first comic-book superhero
Quote:
Originally Posted by REED TUCKER
Consider the utterly messed-up cinematic world we live in. Superhero movies have become so popular that someone is actually considering remaking “Condorman.” Meanwhile, nobody has yet figured out how to launch a viable franchise featuring the granddaddy of the entire spandex scene: Superman.

This could all change this summer when “Man of Steel” lands on screens and attempts to KO pretenders with a big Kryptonian right hook.

Little is known about the plot. It will mostly follow the familiar origin story: A baby travels to Earth from a distant planet, lands in Middle America and grows up to become a costumed hero who fights baddies — in this case, General Zod, played by Michael Shannon, a character that appeared in “Superman II.”

The one thing that can be gleaned from the single teaser trailer that’s been released is that this could be a darker, more humanistic take on the character than movies past.

“We tried to approach this as though there’s never been a Superman movie before, but at the same time respecting the canon and mythology,” director Zack Snyder tells The Post in an exclusive interview. “There are the pillars that you have to respect, and I’m not about to break them. But it is fun for me to bend them and mess with them.”

Christopher Nolan, the director of the recent Batman movies, was brought in by Warner Bros. as producer and godfather of the project.

“There’s a logic and concreteness that has to exist with Chris,” Snyder says. “You can’t just do stuff because it’s cool. He demands that there be story and character behind all of it, which I’m a big fan of.”

Henry Cavill, who becomes the first Brit to play the character, says he’s also a fan of the more down-to-earth approach.

“I liked the idea of the realism immediately,” Cavill tells The Post in an exclusive on-set interview. “Traditional Superman fans know what it’s all about, and they will hopefully love and associate with the character anyway. But the people who aren’t die-hard Superman fans still need to associate with the character, and that needs to have some realism in today’s world, certainly, in sense of a science as opposed to mythology attached to it as well.”

One of the obvious changes is with Superman’s costume. Gone is the flimsy spandex in favor of a slightly metallic, more armored look.

“The costume was a big deal for me, and we played around for a long time,” Snyder says. “I tried like crazy to keep the red briefs on him. Everyone else said, ‘You can’t have the briefs on him.’ I looked at probably 1,500 versions of the costumes with the briefs on.”

Gabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:33 PM   #353
Gabe99
Side-Kick

'Steel' this movie
Superman and his new director dish on next summer’s reinvention of the world’s first comic-book superhero
Quote:
Originally Posted by REED TUCKER
The final version is a brief-free, all-blue unitard with red boots and a red cape.

“If you look at the costume, it’s very modern, but the relationship to the original costume is strong,” Snyder says.

“You come onto a project like this, and you hear about modernization and you hear about bringing things forward to today, and all you can do is hope that it’s going to look cool and different from

anything you’ve seen before,”

Cavill says of the suit, which takes him 15 to 25 minutes to put on. “And I’m pretty sure it does.”

To fill out the costume, Cavill worked out intensely for two hours each morning, and consumed as many as 5,000 calories a day.

“I have been put through the ringer big time,” Cavill says. “An example of the workouts we’ve been doing, it was 100 front squats of body weight. There are kettle-bell workouts. It’s very hard work.”

If “Man of Steel” pays off, it will have been worth it. The film is already saddled with gigantic expectations.

“I heard one time that the Superman glyph is the second or third most recognizable symbol on Earth after the Christian cross,” Snyder says. “It’s this crazy responsibility.”

The film will also be expected to launch a new franchise, which 2006’s lukewarmly received “Superman Returns” failed to do. Cavill confirms he is signed up for three films. Snyder is mum about directing more.

“We approach the film as a single endeavor,” he says. “There are a lot of gears that have to turn in the world of commerce and the world of the mythology we create to facilitate more adventures for this character. We’ll see what happens.”

What’s perhaps most interesting about “Man of Steel” is that it might serve as the launching point for a DC Comics universe of films in the same way 2008’s “Iron Man” inaugurated Marvel’s interconnected movie world.

Warner Bros. is reportedly plowing ahead with “Justice League,” a superteam movie featuring Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and others, rumored to hit in 2015. Nolan’s Batman trilogy has concluded and bomb “Green Lantern” is likely to be disregarded, making “Man of Steel” the first film set in this new universe.

“I don’t know how ‘Justice League’ is going to be handled. Honestly, I don’t,” Snyder says. “But ‘The Man of Steel’ exists, and Superman is in it. I don’t know how you’d move forward without acknowledging that.”

When asked whether he had conversations with the studio about integrating “Man of Steel” into a larger superhero universe, Snyder treads carefully.

“Um, how can I answer that?” he wonders. “I can’t really say anything to that, because that’s a big spoiler. I will say, yeah, they trust me to keep them on course.”

Wildly speculating, it sounds entirely possible that “Man of Steel” will mention another costumed crime-fighter — maybe in a post-credits sequence — that leads into another superhero film. Universe launched.

For now, Cavill is focused on this one movie and trying to handle the expectations.

“There have been a couple of times where people have been explaining all of these Superman cookies and ice creams . . . and there was a second where I went, ‘Wow, this is massive!’ ” Cavill says. “You’ve got to ignore that and not let it get it to you, otherwise you’ll be focusing so much on the pressure as opposed to dealing with the important thing of doing justice to the character.”

Justice will be served June 14.

Gabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:13 PM   #354
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

Such a great article!

- BEN AFFLECK IS BATMAN-#TrustBatfleck -
SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10
DaRkVeNgeanCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:04 AM   #355
terry78
Smiling is for sellouts

Watching that guardians owl movie on ABC family. I forgot Snyder directed that.

terry78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:55 AM   #356
Project862006
Banned User

only snyder could make cgi owls bad ass

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:21 AM   #357
hopefuldreamer
I will find him!

Love that film

hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #358
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
only snyder could make cgi owls bad ass
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
Love that film
I'm with you guys. It looks amazing!

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

The Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #359
hopefuldreamer
I will find him!

I'm a total softie for the sentiments of the story too.

The whole 'power of dreams' thing + the 'you have to feel it in your gizzard' stuff... Makes me cry like a baby

Old 01-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #360
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm a total softie for the sentiments of the story too.

The whole 'power of dreams' thing + the 'you have to feel it in your gizzard' stuff... Makes me cry like a baby
I am genuinely concerned that I'm going to be weeping all through MOS. Like that's starting to become a legitimate concern for me. I'll be seeing the movie with friends who aren't nerds like me. I'm tearing up just watching the trailer still (and I've seen it like a million times).

Smallville13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #361
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Hahaha they went over kill with the "gizzards" for me. I appreciated it but they said it like a gazillion times. lol I was like, ARRRgghh, Stop saying that word over and over. hahaha

Old 01-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #362
Project862006
Banned User

too bad movie flopped so we couldn't get a sequel there are like 14 books

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #363
hopefuldreamer
I will find him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
I am genuinely concerned that I'm going to be weeping all through MOS. Like that's starting to become a legitimate concern for me. I'll be seeing the movie with friends who aren't nerds like me. I'm tearing up just watching the trailer still (and I've seen it like a million times).
I'm the one who needs to be worried! I cry at everything

Seriously can't remember the last time I left the cinema dry eyed. And not just cause stuff was sad. I cried at both The Avengers and TDKR out of sheer 'this is awesome' gratefulness'.

MOS is going to turn me into a blubbering quivering drooling mess

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 01-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #364
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
too bad movie flopped so we couldn't get a sequel there are like 14 books
It really sucks when a good movie flops in the box office. It's unfair. But stupid dance movies get like 10 sequels.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #365
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shield View Post
It really sucks when a good movie flops in the box office. It's unfair. But stupid dance movies get like 10 sequels.
I know right?

That's why I hate that Green Lantern flopped it wasn't that bad there's been far worse films that have made a shed load.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:17 PM   #366
JAK®
Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
If that's how it is, then that's a pretty damn big involvement still. The story is everything and not Snyder's big force. He just took over more or less after the hard work had been done. Well, I'm sure he's had his hands full and all, but Goyer and Nolan deserve more than simply a story-credit. With all due respect I'm sure they're the reason we're getting this movie right now.
Films have a script before a director is attached literally all the time, especially when it comes to genre films.

In fact, you'd be hard-pressed to find a single film that is currently in production that didn't have writers before a director was hired.

We knew who was writing Star Wars Episode VII months ago. Is it fair to say that J.J Abrams isn't doing any of the hard work?

JAK® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #367
hopefuldreamer
I will find him!

Exactly.

Downplaying Snyder's influence on how this turns out is pretty much just downplaying the importance of a director in a project in general... which is just silly.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 01-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #368
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Exactly.

Downplaying Snyder's influence on how this turns out is pretty much just downplaying the importance of a director in a project in general... which is just silly.
great post

Old 01-29-2013, 05:03 PM   #369
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK® View Post
Films have a script before a director is attached literally all the time, especially when it comes to genre films.

In fact, you'd be hard-pressed to find a single film that is currently in production that didn't have writers before a director was hired.

We knew who was writing Star Wars Episode VII months ago. Is it fair to say that J.J Abrams isn't doing any of the hard work?
Quote:
Exactly.

Never downplayed Snyder about anything. I merely stated who was responsible for the movie getting of the ground in the first place. That certainly wasnt Snyder.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #370
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Never downplayed Snyder about anything. I merely stated who was responsible for the movie getting of the ground in the first place. That certainly wasnt Snyder.
Wasn't it Goyer? Cause Nolan said Goyer approached him with the idea

Old 01-29-2013, 05:15 PM   #371
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Wasn't it Goyer? Cause Nolan said Goyer approached him with the idea
Yeah, Goyer was the main reason it happened. Nolan took his idea to WB and helped with the story. That's how I've understood it.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #372
JAK®
Upstart

I'm pretty sure it was the court's decision, considering they demanded that WB have a Superman movie in production by 2013 or they lose the rights.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:32 PM   #373
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK® View Post
I'm pretty sure it was the court's decision, considering they demanded that WB have a Superman movie in production by 2013 or they lose the rights.
That's probably a really big factor, but it doesnt sound like it was what fuelled Goyer, but who knows. WB might've asked for a pitch.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #374
JAK®
Upstart

Quote:
That's probably a really big factor, but it doesnt sound like it was what fuelled Goyer, but who knows. WB might've asked for a pitch.
Goyer has likely been working on a script for years, he's a comic fan and a writer, no doubt he indulges in fan fiction.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #375
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Happy Birthday Zack Snyder!