The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 03:23 PM   #276
shauner111
Side-Kick

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - Part 143

I never had any attachments to the side characters anyway (in the comics/animation). So it never bothered me if we saw the traditional mobsters, cops like Bullock, Holly Robinson, etc or not. Whatever we got was a bonus in my eyes.

Jen was still Holly to me, even though i agree that it didn't matter. Because it's true, these small characters weren't there to serve the fans or for the actual characters themselves. They were there to serve the story. They're almost disposable in this case. You have them serve that part of the story and then it kinda doesn't matter whether you kill them off, lock em' away or leave them hanging. That's not really the point.

Flass, Loeb, Ramirez, Jen, Wuertz, Stephens, Foley, Stryver, Barsad, Chechen, Gambol, Lau, Garcia, etc. They're there to serve the bigger picture not necessarily for character development.

Some are given a little more time, some not so much. But these kind of movies always need people to fill up these kinds of roles. I can't walk around thinking "This small side character was useless or not developed enough or should have been called Renee Montoya for the hardcore fans". It is what it is and they served their purpose. I didn't mind any of them at all. Even Modine/Foley.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #277
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Batman was the ultimate guy in charge, but even in the previous movies, he doesn't exactly keep check on the folks he assigns to do things. He tells them what he needs and lets them do their jobs. We never really see him pass judgment on those doing work on the ground. Even when Dent is doing that to Gordon's cops in TDK, Batman doesn't say a word, even if he might have reservations.
Of course he can't keep check, he has his own task of taking down Bane, but did he assign Foley to that position? and if so how did that meeting with Batman affect Foley? Did Foley demand to lead the army? How did Batman's theatrics have an effect on Foley on a more personal level? I wanted to see at least a single scene like that. You know, to flesh out his arc. Which was my original point before this debate spiraled out into the minutiae of Batman's commandeering skills.

Quote:
I'm still not convinced that Foley gave any necessary orders to the police army. Even when he died, they still prevailed.
Perhaps they were already on the edge of victory as Talia ran him down. I don't know. We see very little of the fight between the police army and the LOS. Nolan rushes through the whole sequence. And why shouldn't he? It's not like he highlighted the plight of the downtrodden the entire film, it wasn't important to him or the film.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 01-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #278
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

The whole point of the police battling the mercs was to be a distraction and to focus all the LOS's manpower in one spot, in order to make the primary task of locating the bomb/placing the signal jammer more attainable. There really was no need and no time for any sort of elaborate strategy in terms of the police's attack. To quote Tony Stark, they had a plan...attack. Their job was simply to engage Bane's men. Even if they hadn't actually won the battle, as long as Batman accomplished the primary objective they'd have still won the war.

Foley joins the fight on his own accord, that's why we see him walking towards the front lines when everyone else is already in position. That has been my understanding since the first time I saw the film.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 01-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #279
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
Of course he can't keep check, he has his own task of taking down Bane, but did he assign Foley to that position? and if so how did that meeting with Batman affect Foley? Did Foley demand to lead the army? How did Batman's theatrics have an effect on Foley on a more personal level? I wanted to see at least a single scene like that. You know, to flesh out his arc. Which was my original point before this debate spiraled out into the minutiae of Batman's commandeering skills.

Perhaps they were already on the edge of victory as Talia ran him down. I don't know. We see very little of the fight between the police army and the LOS. Nolan rushes through the whole sequence. And why shouldn't he? It's not like he highlighted the plight of the downtrodden the entire film, it wasn't important to him or the film.
This was the whole point of Batman lighting up the Bat-sign, and Nolan shows Foley and his family gazing up at it as it's lit. He shows that this act inspires Foley to take Gordon's words to heart and be part of the solution.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:33 AM   #280
Carnotaur3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
This was the whole point of Batman lighting up the Bat-sign, and Nolan shows Foley and his family gazing up at it as it's lit. He shows that this act inspires Foley to take Gordon's words to heart and be part of the solution.
Yeah, Foley spends much of the film not knowing what the hell is going on. Not privy to the greater danger. Only Gordon, Bats (to a degree) and Blake understand the ramifications. Foley goes for Bats over Bane. Foley doesn't believe Gordon about the lair. Foley doesn't believe Gordon about the bomb.

And then with months of Batman missing, the signal is lit. I can see why it changes his mind.

http://www.vimeo.com/13170472
Old 01-21-2013, 01:46 AM   #281
batfreakforever
A real fan

Foley was great.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:18 AM   #282
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Foley is a commoner. A simpler character. Simple traits. Simple resolution. He doesn't need any sort of elaboration. He's a little sparkle in the movie. Not everything needs to overachieve. He fulfills his functions in the narrative. (the only thing i dislike about him his the fast zoom edit with him laying on the ground).

Usually characters like him in movies are reduced to zero. Nothing. They are clear narrative operators. They exist solely to guide us through something , and shape any sort of questions the narrative itself creates. Its really cool he ends up having a little juice in him. I think people talking so much about a simpleton , reveals how well he's written for such a small role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Lol, luchas influence Bane's look in the comics/cartoon, Bane's look in the film influences luchas. It's the circle of Bane.
Eheh , now nobody cant say the apparatus doesn't resemble a mask from a wrestler

Old 01-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #283
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
Unfortunately that's very true!

- The Joker
Old 01-21-2013, 10:44 AM   #284
TDK elbowstrike
"I'm a man of my word..."

Poor Foley. I kind of feel bad for the guy. Hes the kind of character no one takes seriously. Even his death cant be taken seriously. I still loved the character, even though im clearly in the minority. Heck, i may be the only person who liked Foley. Poor guy.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #285
ThreadPool
Internet Narcissist

I'm not sure I'l ever understand why they cut that scene the way they did. What they shot seemed way better.

COME SAY HELLO
SZA
Julia
Old 01-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #286
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by the last son View Post
Yea I wish Bullock would have been here since Begins and had the same role foley had in tdkr. That would have been emotional.
Bullock is a character, that like Gordon, needs to be in an entire trilogy/series and not just one film because Bullock can be a pretty important character as well. Using newly-created characters in TDK/TDKR(even if they're inspired by actual CB characters) is what I'd have done as well if I didn't end up using Bullock from the very beginning.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:02 AM   #287
Just_Human
Side-Kick

Who the hell is that Foley guy everyone is talking about ?

Old 01-21-2013, 11:02 AM   #288
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK elbowstrike View Post
Heck, i may be the only person who liked Foley.
You're not alone. I liked Foley as the character grew on me since I started to watch TDKR at home and I'm sure others liked him as well.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #289
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Human View Post
Mathew Modine's Cop character. The idiot who put chasing Batman a priority over catching the criminals with hostages!

- The Joker
Old 01-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #290
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Mathew Modine's Cop character. The idiot who put chasing Batman a priority over catching the criminals with hostages!
But he was going to do what Jim Gordon could never do.....he was going to arrest The Batman.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #291
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz

You could say that Foley was foolish

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #292
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Human View Post

Bang bang!

Old 01-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #293
Just_Human
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Modine was in the movie ?

Old 01-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #294
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
But he was going to do what Jim Gordon could never do.....he was going to arrest The Batman.
Well what was more important...some robber or the son of a ***** who killed Harvey Dent?

Old 01-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #295
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Foley was such a waste of a character, wasting precious screentime in an already bloated movie...

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 01-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #296
The Guard
Side-Kick

Foley's a horribly written, poorly executed character, and a shadow of the comic book character Foley, who was actually kind of an interesting character.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 01-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #297
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Foley was awful, he shouldn't have even been in the film, poorly written and poorly aced. We lost Batman screen time for that pleb.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 01-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #298
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Yeeeeesh.

Modine wasn't that bad in the role. I'll take him over the guy who played Commissioner Loeb. Modine got a little hammy at times, but Loeb was ham-central. They both had comparable amounts of screen time and they both essentially fill the same "smug, complacent cop" role.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #299
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz

When people say that it took away "valuable screen time", I cringe a little. Because I don't feel any character took away time from any particular prominent character on the film. It seems that the main characters didn't get the time they deserve, when in fact they did.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #300
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Not to mention, it's assuming a lot to say that if there was less Foley there'd automatically be more Batman. There's a lot of places that screen time could have went. Perhaps Batman is in the movie exactly the amount that Nolan wanted him to be? I liked the less is more approach myself. It really made Batman feel like this grand, epic figure, more so than the other two films for me.

Closed Thread