The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > DC Comics

Old 01-13-2013, 03:47 AM   #251
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

Default Re: Earth 2 (It's like Earth, but 2)

I like that there is only one Darksied and stuff. Making multiple Earths with
multiple versions of the ultimate Evil takes away from the one Darkseid. Earth 2
would have taken away from there being Superman but they killed him off. James
Robinson has said this about Speedy calling himself Red Arrow too, and I think it
was him or someone else who said it about the sidekicks. That Making multiple
versions of Superman (Superboy, Supergirl, Superboy Prime, Superman of Earth 2,
Krypto, Streaky the cat, etc) too away from Superman being the last son of Krypton
and the ultimate superhero. James definitely said making Roy Harper Red Arrow
took away from Green Arrow. Said this guy is meant to be the best archer on Earth
and then so is Roy? I get that, so making the New Gods exist outside of time is
fine by me. But they can't do stories like "Alternate World where Darksied has taken
control of Earth and Superman is his prisoner and Batman is the leader of the rebels."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
Oh yeah, like a true hard reboot
and bring everybody back to their origins ala JL and AC? I could see the warrant to
that.
Comicvine's G-Man said that he thought Detective Comics should have gone the
Action Comics rout and been the past tales of Batman in his early days. He said
because it could fill in the gaps and let people know what happened and what didn't.
When did Batman first meet the Joker? When did Robin meet the Riddler? Stuff
like that. I could see him being designed something similar to this too (minus the guns)
Or maybe show why he doesn't use guns.

Last edited by Artistsean; 01-13-2013 at 03:53 AM.
Artistsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #252
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistsean View Post

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

according to James Robinson:
When asked why she has a red streak in her black hair (and why she has black hair instead of blond) he said he couldn't say. Maybe because it would reveal who the father was.

When asked if the father has already been seen he said: No. (pretty sure.) But he talked about it like she does have a father.

When asked if she is using Wonder Woman's lasso he said: Yes, she turned it around and is holding the noose part and using it like a whip. And I think he said it was altered by Apocalyptian technology.

When asked does Fury know Wonder Woman was her mother he said: Yes.

He also said that Steppenwolf (spelling?) is like her father, treats her like that. He takes joy in the fact that he is raising Wonder Woman's daughter after he murdered her. Also he is not her real father, he said someone was worried and asked him "Wonder Woman and Steppenwolf didn't sleep together did they?"

When asked if she has a civilian name he said: Yes. She is a combination of various characters like he tried to do with the Atom or Red Tornado. But he couldn't say who he used besides the original Fury (daughter of Steve Trevor and Wonder Woman and in his opinion a bland character), and he tried to make her like the Female Furies from Apocalypse but different and not like Barda.

Also Dherain was meant to be some European (I think he said) country that he thought might break away during the massive war. King Marov wasn't taken from any current DC character.

And he says next issue starts the introduction of Dr. Fate!

He has also said that Darksied and Apocalypse who attacked here in Earth 2 is the same Darksied and Apocalypse who attacked in New 52 JLA. He thought implying that there were multiple versions of Darksied out there was too much and took away from his character. So the New Gods and Apocalypse (to James anyway) exist outside of space and time or in their own dimension, or something. So does that mean that this Steppenwolf is the new Steppenwolf? Does he fit in with the new Darksied and new Orion (from Wonder Woman)? And also does this mean that Steppenwolf wont be in the rest of the New 52 stuff because he is trapped in Earth 2?
Where did he say all of this?

Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #253
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
Where did he say all of this?
On Comicvine.com's podcast on Friday. He occasionally goes there and talks about his comics, and answers questions from fans.
http://www.comicvine.com/podcast/

Old 01-13-2013, 01:50 PM   #254
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

oh ok, thanks

Old 01-14-2013, 11:34 PM   #255
Number 6
Be seeing you

I don't really think I understand how having an alternate dimension version of any character diminishes said character. There's so many Elseworlds versions of these characters that I find the idea kind of silly. Being the sole version of a character doesn't somehow make a character more meaningful or anything in my view, it all comes down to writing and presentation.

And I think, too, another issue with that is that it really limits the use of those characters. That may be a good thing, but if some writer has a good idea for a story with the New Gods in an alt universe, but can't use Steppenwolf because he's stuck on Earth 2. You can easily say the same for a ****** story being avoided because of that, but eh, I don't know, seems like two much of a double-edged sword for my tastes.

Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #256
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

Well having one version of certain characters makes sense to me because then when that character arrives you know some serious **** is going down and it makes the universe as a whole seem more shared, which is something I miss greatly from the DCU.

Hush is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #257
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

I get it too. Robinson explained his thinking on the podcasts so that helped. I think James Robinson stated it like this, Darkseid is like the Devil. The ultimate evil.
For him to be ultimate there should only be one. It lessens how powerful and dangerous he is if there is more than one version of the devil. Darkseid is so evil and powerful that he is sort of the most dangerous living creature in multiple universes (Earth New 52 and Earth 2, and probably others including his own New Gods universe).
It is a double-edged sword because it does eliminate those stories like Rock of Ages (I think it was called) and other alternate reality stories where maybe Darkseid was good or took over Earth.
But he recently showed up in Batman Beyond. Which isn't exactly an in continuity book, so maybe the comics that aren't labeled New 52 will still be able to do this.

And maybe in the regular New 52 universe there is only one Darkseid, but they can do alternate universe comics that aren't part of the continuity or something. Just my idea. Maybe the What If stories could just be stories and not alternate universes or something.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:48 PM   #258
HELL N' SPIDERS
Spider with a Power Ring

I really hope they didn't actually kill GL. He was making a great leader. And now Fate's gone all nutty. I understand they have to make everything super dark so that when they win it's a true triumph, but I'm so tired of batman always being the focus.

"The Safe-Word Is Pumpkin"

The Spider With a Power Ring
HELL N' SPIDERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:00 PM   #259
Cain
Man of Tomorrow

World's Finest annual takes place on Earth 2 and was the first book in that series in sometime to really feel like a completely satisfying read. Can't wait till Kara and Helena finally meet Prime Earth Bruce and Clark soon. Earth 2 annual was alright. I didn't spoil the new Earth 2 Batman identity for myself like many did months ago so part of me was genuinely surprised.

Pull list: Saga, The Manhattan Projects, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Justice League, Justice League 3000, Earth 2, Multiversity, X-O Manowar, Unity, Bloodshot, Archer & Armstrong, Daredevil, All-New X-Men
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:24 PM   #260
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
I don't really think I understand how having an alternate dimension version of any character diminishes said character. There's so many Elseworlds versions of these characters that I find the idea kind of silly. Being the sole version of a character doesn't somehow make a character more meaningful or anything in my view, it all comes down to writing and presentation.

And I think, too, another issue with that is that it really limits the use of those characters. That may be a good thing, but if some writer has a good idea for a story with the New Gods in an alt universe, but can't use Steppenwolf because he's stuck on Earth 2. You can easily say the same for a ****** story being avoided because of that, but eh, I don't know, seems like two much of a double-edged sword for my tastes.
I agree

Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:27 PM   #261
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELL N' SPIDERS View Post
I really hope they didn't actually kill GL. He was making a great leader. And now Fate's gone all nutty. I understand they have to make everything super dark so that when they win it's a true triumph, but I'm so tired of batman always being the focus.
He's in the solicitations coming up. I think he's just taking a backseat to build up Batman, Tornado, Aquawoman, and Jimmy before **** gets real.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:18 PM   #262
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

E2 is much more interesting than New52 Earth. I really need a whole line of E2 books. It is nice to have heroes tat who can age, grow, and change wit time.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:35 PM   #263
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

What? Most of Earth 2 has happened over the space of a few days.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:55 AM   #264
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Dudes, we are well behind down here in NZ ?

We just got evil Superman. Probably one of the better versions
of Superman turned evil.

Anyone got any inside info or spoilers on what's gonna happen to
him ?
Do you reckon he's too far gone into evil (as in slaughtering the
world army) to come back from ?

Maybe he'll sacrifice himself to defeat/destroy Darkseid, just IMO.

I've seen a teaser panel of him meeting Red Tornado/Lois, he
looks a bit disconcerted, rather than his usual red-eyed look
of general hatred and contempt for Earth and everything on it.

cheers,

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:40 AM   #265
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

I don't want to spoil it, but the focus will soon shift away from Superman for a bit, toward the people involved with Lois.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:56 AM   #266
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
I don't want to spoil it, but the focus will soon shift away from Superman for a bit, toward the people involved with Lois.
Feel free to spoil dude, just put the spoiler tags on it.

I've seen the images online where
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Superman rips off Atom's arm and beats him down with it. Nasty ! I can get isolated images from previews and pages people have scanned, but it's hard to get a sense of the story. The whole apokolips invades thing seems to be quite drawn out. If Supes is going to die I need to know ahead of time to prepare myself, because even evil Superman dying is a big deal (I've been a big Superman fan for over 3 decades)

so spoil away buddy, spoil away.

cheers !

Old 04-02-2014, 08:48 AM   #267
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Well I haven't been paying as much attention as I used to. Under Taylor the book has become glacially slow, sitting in the Batcave for the past few issues.

Basically, Superman killed Steppenwolf, releasing an energy blast across several country- presumably killing millions.

He then heads after the world army main command centre, destroys it and then fights Green Lantern, Dr Fate and I think that's where he disarms Atom. Both are defeated and a Super curb stomp gives Fate his impaired mental faculties.

At the same time Batman is infiltrating a world army base filled with superbeings. He discovers Lois, reborn as Red Tornado, Jimmy Olsen, Aquawoman and a new Kryptonian, he also kills Joker.

They all leave with help from Hawkwoman and head to the Bat-Cave, followed by issues sat in the cabe while Superman kills.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:37 PM   #268
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well I haven't been paying as much attention as I used to. Under Taylor the book has become glacially slow, sitting in the Batcave for the past few issues.

Basically, Superman killed Steppenwolf, releasing an energy blast across several country- presumably killing millions.

He then heads after the world army main command centre, destroys it and then fights Green Lantern, Dr Fate and I think that's where he disarms Atom. Both are defeated and a Super curb stomp gives Fate his impaired mental faculties.

At the same time Batman is infiltrating a world army base filled with superbeings. He discovers Lois, reborn as Red Tornado, Jimmy Olsen, Aquawoman and a new Kryptonian, he also kills Joker.

They all leave with help from Hawkwoman and head to the Bat-Cave, followed by issues sat in the cabe while Superman kills.
Many Thanks dude. I've been able to catch bits of that from images people have scanned (and the Super curb stomp issue just came out).

Any more plot details would be much appreciated. Cheers.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:01 PM   #269
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

There was the annual, which revealed Batman's identity, but it's obvious who he is anyway. As for anything else, I'm all out, I dropped the title.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:20 PM   #270
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
There was the annual, which revealed Batman's identity, but it's obvious who he is anyway. As for anything else, I'm all out, I dropped the title.

Thanks dude !