The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four World

Old 01-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Default Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007)

A thread to discuss the 2007 movie sequel.

This should've been a better movie. The lack of a proper Galactus was one of the major problems.

Doom's armour was better in this one, but he was still a far cry from the Latverian dictator he should've been.

I liked how Johnny was able to utilise all the powers of the 4 in the end to defeat Doom, but in a way I feel that Reed should've been the one to face off against him as his mortal enemy. I didn't really like the way that Doom went down in the end though.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
spidermanJLA!~
SUPERHERO

Default Re: Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007)

First off, the film was corny, not Captain America good corny, but just bad dialogue. The film's way of portraying a "Fantastic" family in modern times was alright, but there is some pretty weird writing throughout.
My pros:
Silver Surfer was awesome and I loved Lawrence Fishbourne in the deep, intelligent voice.
Special effects: Not perfect but it did look like F4 imo. And I for one was a fan of Thing's rock suit.
Potential: This film could honestly make a few sequels. It left with a cliffhanger.
Relationships/actors(Except Alba, no sexism intended): I liked the characters and how they were portrayed(personality wise)
Music
Costumes
MY GRIPES:
Sue got naked again?!!!!
They made some stupid decisions in this one and were just lost at times. Johnny didn't know what to do with all the girls/money. Reed and Sue wanted a family and all that. They all broke apart as a family too many times. The Thing was the best character in the film, imo.
Galactus: Don't make him a cloud. I understand it's more "understandable" to have a giant tornado devour a planet, but come on! Have a giant energy ship or something!
Corniness:I love corny movies for one, but this was too far. "I was in my room studying like a little nerd." "I'm so hot for you right now." Oh goodness....
Jessica Alba was too young for Sue and she got naked again?!!!
General Hager was a jerk.
I didn't like how the "fame" of the F4 was portrayed. Could we see one Bank Robbery or something?!
Doom had nothing to do.
Etc., but the F4 films still have a place in my heart.

spidermanJLA!~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
C. Lee
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

This movie is one of those weird entities for me. Lots of things I like, lots of things I don't.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Same here....it's weird.

I liked my first viewing of this movie better than the first. YET, I enjoy the first more each time I see it, (I'm watching it right now as a matter of fact...lol)

But, even though I liked the 2nd movie better in the first viewing.....I like it less each time I see it.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
C. Lee
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Doug Jones will be among the guests at the Lexington Comic Con in March http://lexingtoncomiccon.com/ I plan on attending.

In FFROTSS........Alba just didn't look right. I don't get into Alba bashing (because I have had a crush on her for years....not as bad as someone else who used to post here, but I must admit I likes her alot)....but her hair and makeup was just wonky here. I thought she looked great in the first FF movie though.

I was extremely disappointed in Galactus. At the very least they could have shown an actual spaceship. Kelly, don't know if you remember, but I talked years ago about inserting scenes of Galactus from the animated SS series into the movie. I did some preleminary tests that actually worked a little...but got preoccupied and put it on the back burner. I need to dig that stuff out and work on it again.

Doctor Doom still wasn't right, but done a lot better than the first movie.

Is it bad that I wasn't sad that Andre Braugher's character was zapped?

Old 01-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #6
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
Doug Jones will be among the guests at the Lexington Comic Con in March http://lexingtoncomiccon.com/ I plan on attending.

In FFROTSS........Alba just didn't look right. I don't get into Alba bashing (because I have had a crush on her for years....not as bad as someone else who used to post here, but I must admit I likes her alot)....but her hair and makeup was just wonky here. I thought she looked great in the first FF movie though.

I was extremely disappointed in Galactus. At the very least they could have shown an actual spaceship. Kelly, don't know if you remember, but I talked years ago about inserting scenes of Galactus from the animated SS series into the movie. I did some preleminary tests that actually worked a little...but got preoccupied and put it on the back burner. I need to dig that stuff out and work on it again.

Doctor Doom still wasn't right, but done a lot better than the first movie.

Is it bad that I wasn't sad that Andre Braugher's character was zapped?
OMG in the 2nd film.....good lord at the beginning of the film it was like Barbie and the F3.... I heard that after seeing that look for awhile she put her foot down and that is when we got the ponytail, softer makeup look. And then that make fiasco, stupidness of the final 3 minutes and the wedding. *shakes head* it was embarrassing. She looked great to me in the first movie, and I understand why she didn't want to do the same thing to her own hair, but damn...the wig that they used in the "fans chase Sue" scene that they shot after she cut her hair was perfectly fine, why didn't they use that one.

That piece of crap, sculpture they put on her head for the wedding was just weird. Just horrible make up people that hopefully were fired after that film.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
spidermanJLA!~
SUPERHERO

Ha, it's pretty strange how this thread is filled with moderators.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #8
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermanJLA!~ View Post
Ha, it's pretty strange how this thread is filled with moderators.
I see no moderators in this thread?

I can say however, that my first moderating job on the hype was the old F4 forum.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #9
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post

I can say however, that my first moderating job on the hype was the old F4 forum.
Would've been cool if all those old post concurrent to those movies at the time still existed.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #10
spidermanJLA!~
SUPERHERO

Quote:

Sorry, I mean admin. The guys with the red names.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #11
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermanJLA!~ View Post
Sorry, I mean admin. The guys with the red names.
I was just messin' with ya....C.Lee, myself, and Hunter all met on the first F4 boards, so yeah, you will be seeing a lot of this trio on this board.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:47 PM   #12
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Would've been cool if all those old post concurrent to those movies at the time still existed.
They do....they are in our archives. Just do a search.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #13
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
They do....they are in our archives. Just do a search.
Oh, well it would be nice if they could be imported into this forum so that it's all there together with everything else, and people could even add to them if they wanted.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:50 PM   #14
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Far too many threads, and far too little time.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #15
C. Lee
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

I met the Surfer today...

Old 07-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #16
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

i liked both FF movies, but this was my fav because of Silver Surfer. I think both movies suffer as Jessica Alba is not great Ioan Gillian was okay as Reed. Chicklis nailed BEN GRIMM and any actor can really be Johnny if he looks the part. Doom was terrible in both, but Fishburne as the Surfer's voice was FABULOUS and they got the look right!

Old 09-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #17
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

The voice Doug used on set was pretty much the same as the one Fishburne used in post - there was little point in changing them...

bubbadoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:31 AM   #18
Dagenspear
Banned User

How come people don't know that the cloud was actually a ship?

Dagenspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:44 AM   #19
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Says who?

Old 03-28-2014, 06:48 PM   #20
Dagenspear
Banned User

Quote:
Says who?
The Director. In the audio commentary. He says something to that affect in it if I recall.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:39 PM   #21
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Ok, so the director says it on the DVD in the audio commentary and we are supposed to know that when watching the movie in the theater because?????

The reason no one in the theater knew it was a ship, was because it looked like a cloud.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:52 PM   #22
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

This movie is awful. In every sense of the word. I liked the design of the Surfer and the FF costume themselves. But my goodness, the plot of this movie makes absolutely no sense. Alba is awful in this movie and looks like an alien. The film mostly centers around Johnny Storm's struggle about how hard it is to be a man who is rich and gets all the women he wants, and I just can't find myself ever feeling bad. They try to salvage Doom by making him more "sciency" but even so, he gets beat like a punk. I mean seriously, the combined 4 can't touch him, but Super Skrull Johnny beats him in 2 seconds....WHAT! The Surfer was created by Galactus, who can devour planets, yet he easily beats his master? WEAK! Also, making the Surfer's weakness being seperated from the board may have sounded good in principle, but it just nerfs his power and doesn't make him as threatening. The film tries to build stakes, but I never feel threatened because all of the "threats" end very shortly after they're introduced.

Film has 1 or 2 funny bits. Outside of that, this is easily one of the worst big budget CBM's ever produced.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:49 AM   #23
Dagenspear
Banned User

Quote:
Ok, so the director says it on the DVD in the audio commentary and we are supposed to know that when watching the movie in the theater because?????

The reason no one in the theater knew it was a ship, was because it looked like a cloud.
The hostility isn't very nice. And there was a clear structure to the cloud. The idea as I understood it was that Tim knew he couldn't do Galactus as he wanted to, so he gave the go ahead for the cloud to have a structure to leave it open for future films to do it in a way that he thought was properly. Excuse me for assuming that I'm not the only one who listens to audio commentaries. I thought this was common knowledge.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:41 AM   #24
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagenspear View Post
The hostility isn't very nice. And there was a clear structure to the cloud. The idea as I understood it was that Tim knew he couldn't do Galactus as he wanted to, so he gave the go ahead for the cloud to have a structure to leave it open for future films to do it in a way that he thought was properly. Excuse me for assuming that I'm not the only one who listens to audio commentaries. I thought this was common knowledge.
It doesn't matter what the director says when the plot point isn't explained within the confines of the movie itself. Do you think most of the general audience listens to a DVD Commentary? No, for most people, if it isn't in the movie then it doesn't exist. The movie never makes that claim about Galactus-cloud being a ship, therefore that idea isn't in actuality how it worked. Especially since that series will never be continued, so the fact it was Galactus or a ship is moot. No writer will ever expand upon this possibility or anything. To the audience, the story is over and Galactus died. Nothing says otherwise.

Last edited by Spider-Fan; 03-29-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:29 PM   #25
Dagenspear
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
It doesn't matter what the director says when the plot point isn't explained within the confines of the movie itself. Do you think most of the general audience listens to a DVD Commentary? No, for most people, if it isn't in the movie then it doesn't exist. The movie never makes that claim about Galactus-cloud being a ship, therefore that idea isn't in actuality how it worked. Especially since that series will never be continued, so the fact it was Galactus or a ship is moot. No writer will ever expand upon this possibility or anything. To the audience, the story is over and Galactus died. Nothing says otherwise.
That isn't what I asked about though. The GA has no bearing on this. More importantly the GA doesn't care. It doesn't matter to them. There's no reason to take it so personally though.