The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Which Version(s) of Lex Luthor?
Mad Scientist 76 21.41%
Inventor 101 28.45%
Corrupt Businessman 318 89.58%
Fan of Superboy (root of his hatred for Superman) 6 1.69%
Former Friend of Clark Kent in Smallville 49 13.80%
Crook (Donnerverse) 16 4.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 355. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 09:24 PM   #651
Rodrigo90
Hip To Be Square

Default Re: The Official Lex Luthor Casting Thread - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
There is a lot in there that is how I see Lex's backstory too, and I really enjoyed reading that (a lot of the time I just skim through stuff like that, but you actually drew me in )

But honestly, I don't want them to show his backstory that thoroughly.

We have plenty of villains with fleshed out and sympathetic backstories. We may even see that with Zod. I wanna see more villains like The Joker, whose actions NOW are relevant to the hero, and whose backstory can just be alluded too.

In a similar way to how they handled James Bond in Skyfall, it'd be okay to hint at what his childhood was like, but you don't spend entire scenes doing flashbacks.

So you could have a moment like Lex hearing about something happening down in suicide slums and one of his employees casually saying 'Hey, isn't that right by where you grew up' and then him glaring at him in a deadly way that says 'You ever mention where I came from again and i'll kill you' and then have the guy just sort of cower under his silent threat.

And then later you could have a scene where Superman is angrily confronting Lex about what his actions and contributions towards crime are doing to people on a street level, assuming that he's always been rich and just doesn't know what it's like for the people he hurts. And have him reveal to him that he knows plenty about what it's like on the bottom of the ladder, and he just chose to make sure he put all the efforts of his life into making sure he was the one on top.

I guess kind of like the Bruce/Falcone confrontation in BB in the sense that it's about opening the heroes eyes to where this corrupt man is coming from, where his power lies (because I think the suggestion there was that he only had power BECAUSE of his understanding of that kind of life) and why there is no reasoning with them.

I think subtly alluding to the fact that Lex is more than meets the eye, but still allowing him to just be a cold and evil ruthless villain rather than a sympathetic one, is a much better way to go.
Thank you, my lovely lady
I agree with you absolutely. See when you write somebody as complicated as Lex, you need to establish who he is and where he came from.
It helps you get a better perspective on how to write the character. I'm sure Nolan did with the Joker, then as you said, threw it away to keep things as you described them. Just alluding to things.

Besides, I was bored as well, just reading up Lex's history and all that

Old 01-18-2013, 06:58 AM   #652
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

Whatever the rumor says I just don't see them missing the opportunity of at least foreshadowing Lex at the end of the film. I was the first one to reference the joker card type treatment for the end, and I still would think they consider doing something like that.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:06 AM   #653
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Well, rather than just a Lex "business-card", I'd prefer something more visual, but more vague, like a closing shot of a silhouetted Lex looking out a huge window with Metropolis' skyline accompanied by some fitting last words from Lois or Clark.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:11 AM   #654
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

No you misunderstand. I don't mean you use an actual card, lol. I just mean you use the ending to reference Lex.I always described a scene where you see a bald man in his office (at night), the chair is turned around looking out the window...at the buildings that are below him. On his desk is a Daily Planet paper with the headline "Superman" We never see the actor playing Lex. But we know that is the reference setting him up as baddie in next film.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:12 AM   #655
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by \S/JcDc\S/ View Post
No you misunderstand. I don't mean you an actual card, lol. I just mean you use the ending to reference Lex.I always described a scene where you see a bald man in his office (at night), the chair is turned around looking out the window...at the buildings that are below him. On his desk is a Daily Planet paper with the headline "Superman"We never see the actor playing Lex. But we know that is the reference setting him up as baddie in next film.
I know, that's why I used the "", but I didnt know what you had in mind either.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #656
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

It's cool, I shouldn't assume people remember my ideas I posted like 4-5 years ago lol

Old 01-18-2013, 07:19 AM   #657
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Hehe, right... But it's an idea that's popped up before, so... It'd still be fitting though, especially with the right closing voice-over.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:22 AM   #658
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

It was cool to be the first to think of it though. Once I mentioned the joker card referencing, it took off as a pretty popular idea and others started posting similar thoughts. I don't have a lot of moments, so definitely proud of that one

Old 01-18-2013, 07:24 AM   #659
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Well, hasnt there been similar shots in the comicbooks and TAS?

Old 01-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #660
Lone
Level 70 Social Leper

Quote:
Originally Posted by \S/JcDc\S/ View Post
Whatever the rumor says I just don't see them missing the opportunity of at least foreshadowing Lex at the end of the film. I was the first one to reference the joker card type treatment for the end, and I still would think they consider doing something like that.
Well if that rumor turns out to be true, they're definitely foreshadowing Lex's armor as well since it mentions Zod fashioning armor. Lex could very well reverse engineer that tech.

I like how people complain about the five thousand or so lives lost in MOS while totally ignoring the seven billion one hundred twenty-four million nine hundred ninety-five thousand other people Superman saved by taking out the World Engine.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #661
N7 Joseph Shepard
Human/Kryptonian Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone View Post
Well if that rumor turns out to be true, they're definitely foreshadowing Lex's armor as well since it mentions Zod fashioning armor. Lex could very well reverse engineer that tech.

me likey

Snyder
Alexander/Arterton- Wonder Woman - Taylor
Bomer - Green Lantern -
Bay
Pine - The Flash -
Del-Toro
Pearce - Lex Luthor
Old 01-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #662
godisawesome
Side-Kick

How's about we see the armor after the battle and Zod's inevitable death/exile/depowerment and the armor gathers up the scraps and the one army official who absolutely refuses to back "the alien" mentions he's putting the armor in safe hands for research, and as they close the lid of the container we see a stylized LL or Lexcorp. insignia.

-C.S. Lewis
Old 01-18-2013, 11:07 PM   #663
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
Well, hasnt there been similar shots in the comicbooks and TAS?
Just let him have his lil' moment.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #664
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

If Lex is to do anything with Zod's armour, I'd rather it be for the creation of Metallo. If Lex is to have an actual brawl with Superman, it needs to be like All-Star. The image of Lex beating Superman bare handed, leaving him at his feet, with no little toys or machines is far more powerful than being in a great big power dispensing machine.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #665
Rowsdower!
THE WALL

I disagree. We saw Lex do that in Superman Returns, and it sucked.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #666
TDK elbowstrike
"I'm a man of my word..."

Lol. RowsDower, that avatar... I'm desperate to catch my breath after laughing so hard. Very nice.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #667
Rodrigo90
Hip To Be Square

Lex beating Superman to a pulp in his power suit is a testament to his true power, his genius and fury.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #668
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
And so the concept of Lex beating up Superman is poisoned till the end of time because it happened in one movie you hated. Keep that mind wide open.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #669
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
Lex beating Superman to a pulp in his power suit is a testament to his true power, his genius and fury.
But elevating himself to Superman's level in the most fundamental way isn't? As well as stripping Superman of his power, without relying on the tried and tested Kryptonite?

The role reversal of the situation is perfect. Lex uses his intelligence to lust after power, and once he achieves his goal, the tables are turned and a near powerless Superman beat him with his intelligence, proving that Lex was right all along.

A fight can be more than just punches, giving Lex inherent power makes it a philosophical and ideological battle too.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:33 PM   #670
N7 Joseph Shepard
Human/Kryptonian Hybrid

Quote:
that doesn't count as it was just one cheap shot, a couple kicks and then a stab in the back.

What we need is a good old fight between the two, think Neo vs. Smith in Matrix Revolutions.

We are going to get something similar to that in Man Of Steel, but its Zod, who is really a B list bad guy to Superman. Amp up Lex either with a Super-Serum (All-Star style) or with his armor and let those 2 just tear up the planet lol

Snyder
Alexander/Arterton- Wonder Woman - Taylor
Bomer - Green Lantern -
Bay
Pine - The Flash -
Del-Toro
Pearce - Lex Luthor
Old 01-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #671
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Actually, that single line 'Now fly' before stabbing him with a kryptonite shard was one of the only moments I liked. I think the line itself implies the resentment and jealousy that Luthor holds against Superman for having powers he was born with and never had to work for... He gets great satisfaction from stripping that away from him, and is taunting him with that fact.

Imagine that moment in the context of an actually good film, and it could be great.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 01-19-2013, 06:42 PM   #672
Rodrigo90
Hip To Be Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
But elevating himself to Superman's level in the most fundamental way isn't? As well as stripping Superman of his power, without relying on the tried and tested Kryptonite?

The role reversal of the situation is perfect. Lex uses his intelligence to lust after power, and once he achieves his goal, the tables are turned and a near powerless Superman beat him with his intelligence, proving that Lex was right all along.

A fight can be more than just punches, giving Lex inherent power makes it a philosophical and ideological battle too.
I liked how that situation was handled in Superman For All Seasons. Lex beat Superman (for a time) at a game Supes wasn't even playing! That was badass.

But an intellectual and physical battle should both by on the playing field. The jist of what Supes and Lex are about, exploding in one movie, in a climatic battle of wits and strength.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:13 AM   #673
Project862006
Banned User

been thinking about a lex cameo at the end of mos and i would love it if it was something like this(shot from watchmen comic) where we get a behind the shot view of him looking as superman flying out of lex corp building in likely a more shadowed lighting tho

Old 01-22-2013, 05:36 AM   #674
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

They did something similar in Justice League - the New Frontier

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 01-22-2013, 06:11 AM   #675
RetrogradeOrbit
My own Dark Passenger

I quite liked the end scene with Superman and Lex in the pilot episode of "Lois and Clark"

Don't shoot me before you watch it...

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I got thrown out of a window! What's the f***ing charge for getting pushed out of a moving car, huh? Jaywalking?

My father gave me one piece of advice. He said "Always. .." No, he said "Never..." well actually he gave me two pieces of advice, I've forgotten the other one. But the important one is, "Never chase a man over a cliff".
Closed Thread