The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #876
Super Kal
Side-Kick

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

to be quite honest, i didn't like the Donner too much. its design was very loopy and curvy, pretty similar to the Lois and Clark - however, the they used in STM was, indeed, better than the merchandise that they created for the promotion of the film. their promotional , even though had a very strong resemblance from the comics, was very scrunched together.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:16 AM   #877
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
It's the benefit of hindsight. I think flared jeans, open-necked shirts and headbands are incredibly cheesy now, but at one point in the 70s they were considered ultra fashionable. I don't dislike the original 'S' symbol but I agree that it now looks a little cheesy compared to newer ones, even the Superman Returns one. It doesn't make it a bad thing; it's just aged and looks very cartoonish next to more modern versions.

As for the new MOS crest, I love it. It retains the fluid lines of the original 'S' symbol from years ago, but adds much more texture, detail and layers. It's the first Superman crest I've seen which (in MY opinion ) is believable as a family crest, and not just a big 'S' which writers are trying to come up with a history or reason for Superman having it.

The very rich red/gold used in it are also less vibrant than the normal bright red/yellow used in the comics, and look more regal - which reinforces the whole effect.
I like the logo on the suit, but I never understood the love for this version of the logo. The curvy lines seem random.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #878
elgaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
I like the logo on the suit, but I never understood the love for this version of the logo. The curvy lines seem random.
I think they're just there to add detail and texture and make it more crest-like. Otherwise it's yet another variation of the 'S' we've gotten all these years, with a slightly different font.

Compare it to the SR 'S', which is the most recent modern version used in a film. I don't think anyone could say the MOS version doesn't look more like a family crest, and this is largely down to the detailing on it rather than the curves of the S or the font used.

Last edited by elgaz; 01-22-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #879
elgaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by \S/ View Post
Your analogy is flawed. The classic \S/ is not a passing trend like clothing styles. It's an icon the world over. Even when new versions of the \S/ are created, the original, CLASSIC shield continues to be used in the bulk of merchandising.

The New 52 shield won't be used in such a widespread manner, nor will this MOS shield.

Perhaps it's a flawed analogy, but my point still stands. Just as there are progressions in fashion and certain things fall out of taste, so too are there progressions in artwork. Comics now are much more detailed, richly illustrated and vivid. The original Superman logo (as pictured below) is reminiscent of older artwork, not more modern.

I totally agree that it's iconic the world over. However, that doesn't change the fact that I still think it looks quite dated now in terms of artwork and style. The MOS logo is the flipside, showing a more modern approach. It's just my opinion, I'm sure there are plenty who will disagree.

I agree also that the new logos probably won't be used in such a widespread manner, but I think that's more to do with a natural reluctance to change any global brand (especially one which is one of the most recognisable icons on Earth) rather than the new logo somehow being inferior in any way.

At the end of the day, at least the new logos are fairly faithful to the original - they could have easily butchered the iconic 'S. Remember this version?

Old 01-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #880
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Kal View Post
to be quite honest, i didn't like the Donner too much. its design was very loopy and curvy, pretty similar to the Lois and Clark - however, the they used in STM was, indeed, better than the merchandise that they created for the promotion of the film. their promotional , even though had a very strong resemblance from the comics, was very scrunched together.
Agreed. The promo for STM was really funny looking. I remember being irked by that even as a kid.

The same could be said for my favorite -- Superman Returns. I feel the promo shield is little too curvy where the costume shield has softer lines, particularly where the "S" meets the border.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #881
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
The same could be said for my favorite -- Superman Returns. I feel the promo shield is little too curvy where the costume shield has softer lines, particularly where the "S" meets the border.

The neat thing about the SR is that it’s got a quasi-Escher/”impossible solid” thing happening. The top face of the raised S becomes the depth axis as it curves (and vice versa).

Old 01-22-2013, 10:43 AM   #882
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

Quote:
I posted this over in the fan art page as well. The picture is extremely large so I'm just going to link to it.

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...ry-d5s7d0p.jpg
This is very cool! I think my favorite is the Young Justice model.

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Old 01-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #883
Zorex
No T, No Shade

I love the variety of S-shields we've seen over the years, and I really love the Man of Steel version. Compared to the Returns shield (the logo/poster version), it makes me like that one less. Side-by-side, the Returns version looks chunky and stiff, whereas the Man of Steel shield looks more elegant, like it naturally flows better from start-to-end of the letter.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #884
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
You're a moron.
Quote:
See my response to Project862006.
See my response to Project862006 and WoodyRom.
You have now received a 2 months probation.

The last time you received a probation, it was under your original name...you then created a new name (this one) and posted with it while your original name was serving probation....and, as per the rules in our FAQ, that name was banned and this name was put on an extended probation. So....feel perfectly free to ignore the rules and create another new name and post with it...because as per the FAQ, then you any and all names you make will be permabanned on sight.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #885
Crazymaverick
Obsessed with the \S/

I'm no good with manips, but how 'bout someone rustle up some with a little more red in the belt like these:

Old 01-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #886
Krumm
Beer Snob

The color of the suit is interesting on the toy packaging

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Old 01-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #887
spidermanJLA!~
SUPERHERO

Quote:
The color of the suit is interesting on the toy packaging

First, I just have to say how much toys/action figures have degraded over time. Second,my least favorite classic emblem has always been the Lois and Clark Tv version. It's just too curvy.

And while I love the classic emblem, the MOS version really does fit.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #888
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermanJLA!~ View Post
First, I just have to say how much toys/action figures have degraded over time.
If it's any consolation, I don't think that's an actual toy in there but just a spec illustration.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #889
The Watchman
Balls McGee

I'm quite content with the MoS 'S' but if we were to have something different I would love the Fleisher 'S'.

I just blue myself
Old 01-24-2013, 05:48 PM   #890
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
The neat thing about the SR is that it’s got a quasi-Escher/”impossible solid” thing happening. The top face of the raised S becomes the depth axis as it curves (and vice versa).
Yeah, but it IS possible though. But nice observation.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #891
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

So let's discuss this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRECTOR View Post
I think it looks very cool. The added design marks on the obliques aren't too distracting, and the belt looks very alien and cool. Personally I find the added Aquaman pattern on the shield is unnecessary, and I think the texture and design found on the shield in the promo image (and at the end of the trailer) would look better. I do wish the reds and yellows were more vibrant (especially the yellow in the \S/), but at least the S isn't that shade of Superman Returns red that it's been in other photos.

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Old 01-28-2013, 05:46 PM   #892
spidermanJLA!~
SUPERHERO

The blue/red coloring is GREAT there, but the yellow is just too dark. But the suit is still growing on me.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #893
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

I'm trying to figure out the color on the emblem. There's no way that can be yellow. Even at a weird angle yellow wouldn't come out that dark.

I think it's probably more accurate to describe it as bronze perhaps?

Old 01-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #894
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
I'm trying to figure out the color on the emblem. There's no way that can be yellow. Even at a weird angle yellow wouldn't come out that dark.

I think it changes color in different lighting situations...I mean this is obviously yellow

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 01-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #895
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
...I think it's probably more accurate to describe it as bronze perhaps?
Yep.

Or it's actually yellow and is just (very) dirty.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:54 PM   #896
Superman141
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Scout View Post
Yep.

Or it's actually yellow and is just (very) dirty.
Its Freaking yellow/Gold

Old 01-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #897
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Mustard or bronze would be more apt. Unless it has a light shining directly at it in most shots and in the trailer it's a naturally darker color.

It doesn't have a gold shine, even with a light directly on it as in that above pic.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #898
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Quote:

It's a light gold. The whole costume has a weird metallic sheen that's very reactive to light. It's actually the same as his 'belt'.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #899
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman141 View Post
Its Freaking yellow/Gold
Yeah, it totally looks like that.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #900
Superman141
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Scout View Post
Yeah, it totally looks like that.
Are you mocking me? Or being for real?

Closed Thread