The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Spidey-World

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #851
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Default Re: Ultimate Spider-Man animated series discussion thread - Part 1

I happen to think everyone is wrong on certain things and statements in this thread. I'm just going to respond to the points I disagree on with each person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy313 View Post
Dude don't talk
Regardless of whether or not someone here is with your opinion or against it, you have no right to tell other people to not talk (a nice way of saying "get the hell out of here") just because they disagree with you. That is an act of censorship. I'm pretty sure the mods wouldn't approve of it if they saw it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthcoolness3 View Post
4. It's not Spectacular Spider-Man Season 3
5. Spider-Man and the other heroes have deaged and turned into teenagers.
4. I loved TSSM but that is an absolutely biased and unfair opinion. You can't bash on something simply because it isn't something else. You would be no better than the people that bash the Webb's Spider-Man reboot just because it isn't Raimi's Spider-Man 4. You need to critique Ultimate Spider-Man on its own. Saying that it sucks because it isn't TSSM is not valid criticism because you can have a good Spider-Man show that isn't TSSM Season 3.

5. When it comes to Spider-Man alone, this is not a flaw at all. It is actually faithful to the comics in this department. Peter Parker first became Spider-Man in high school in the comics and this show is about a Spider-Man in his early career as well so it makes sense why he is in high school. Spider-Man's high school years are just as important as his college & adult years. This is no "de-aging" or alteration of the character. Spider-Man is at the age he is supposed to be at this time in his career. I can't say the same thing for everyone else though. Luke Cage and the rest shouldn't have been turned into teens.

I also want to point out that TSSM had a high school Spider-Man too yet you never complained about it there and you love the show. That makes you look like a hypocrite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdeverea View Post
1. Drake Bell does well. If the show had a more serious tone, you'd likely not complain.
3. No biggie.
4. Contract with Sony ran out and now Marvel is run by Disney.
6. The storyline is Spider-Man battling familiar foes under altered cicumstances (he's a SHIELD agent, he's on a team, he's got weapons at his disposal sometimes). He's still a geek just quite immature, as he should be written since he's 15 or 16 years old.

7. They made a show with elements for ages 6-40.
1. Drake Bell sounds like a really whiny and annoying version of Spider-Man. He may be the worst or at least one of the worst Spider-Man voice actors I ever heard though this may be due to the script. I'll have to watch Avengers EMH Season 2 and hear what he sounds like there in order to draw a conclusion but based on a clip with Spidey in Season 2 that I saw on YT, it doesn't sound any better. If anything, he may sound slightly worse in that show because you can tell his voice is dubbed over someone else's voice.

2. No offense to you but this is a really stupid statement. Yes, it is a big deal that one of Spidey's greatest and most iconic villains was butchered to the point where this version of him makes Raimi's version of him look like Todd McFarlane's version of him from Amazing Spider-Man #300 in comparison. That says a lot.

4. This is true but I recently gave it a thought and feel it wouldn't have made it a difference anyway because Marvel Animation has openly come out and admitted that they prefer silly unintelligent kids shows with not much of an ongoing story behind them, which is why they cancelled Avengers EMH. TSSM would've probably been cancelled either way and replaced with USM or something similar.

6. He isn't a geek in this show and acts nothing like Spider-Man should have. The immaturity is going too far as well. Even high school Spidey would never act like this. As I said before, he acts the exact opposite way Spider-Man should act. He acts more like Naruto as opposed to Peter Parker/Spider-Man. And for those not familiar with Naruto anime/manga, the Naruto character is literally an annoying immature unlikable irrational moronic retard (no joke lol).

As for him being a SHIELD agent while being on a team and having weapons at his disposal, those are all horribly out of character things for Spider-Man and they don't belong in Spider-Man stories. Including all those things only further prove the writers don't get the character at all which is why they're writing him like Naruto.

7. I disagree. I think they made a show for kids below the age of 6.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #852
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

For some bizarre reason I'm feeling optimistic about this whole mess and don't think USM will go beyond 52 episodes.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:17 PM   #853
bigdaddy313
Side-Kick

Dude it wasn't a command it was more of a suggestion, I should have added the words "don't bother", add the lol sign and say "just let it go".

I am one of those who always tell guys to respect one another and if anyone felt disrespected from me with that comment, I say "my bad".

And Shikamaru take it easy on me huh, calling me out lol

Last edited by bigdaddy313; 01-22-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:16 AM   #854
Spider-Aziz
Shinya Kogami

Anyone saw Electro episode? I didn't

~*SHH SIX*~
member 14: Supa-Pizza
Proud member of H.E
I still respect members of T.H.E.M, no bad feelings toward any of them.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:37 AM   #855
GoldGoblin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
Anyone saw Electro episode? I didn't
^
Yep.You see the classic Electro costume where we get no origin of who he is or how he got the way that he did.Then he gets electrocuted and becomes Ultimate Electro where he was a bigger threat.

This episode was like most of them,crap...

Old 01-23-2013, 03:37 AM   #856
Spider-Aziz
Shinya Kogami

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldGoblin View Post
^
Yep.You see the classic Electro costume where we get no origin of who he is or how he got the way that he did.Then he gets electrocuted and becomes Ultimate Electro where he was a bigger threat.

This episode was like most of them,crap...
Electro is one of those villains I don't like his origin
I can tolerate his classic origin, and the idea of making him a mutant is even better

~*SHH SIX*~
Proud member of H.E

Old 01-23-2013, 04:56 AM   #857
GoldGoblin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Electro is one of those villains I don't like his origin
I can tolerate his classic origin, and the idea of making him a mutant is even better
^
At the end of the episode he is turned back to classic Electro,no more mutant.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #858
tdeverea
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
I happen to think everyone is wrong on certain things and statements in this thread. I'm just going to respond to the points I disagree on with each person.

Regardless of whether or not someone here is with your opinion or against it, you have no right to tell other people to not talk (a nice way of saying "get the hell out of here") just because they disagree with you. That is an act of censorship. I'm pretty sure the mods wouldn't approve of it if they saw it.

4. I loved TSSM but that is an absolutely biased and unfair opinion. You can't bash on something simply because it isn't something else. You would be no better than the people that bash the Webb's Spider-Man reboot just because it isn't Raimi's Spider-Man 4. You need to critique Ultimate Spider-Man on its own. Saying that it sucks because it isn't TSSM is not valid criticism because you can have a good Spider-Man show that isn't TSSM Season 3.

5. When it comes to Spider-Man alone, this is not a flaw at all. It is actually faithful to the comics in this department. Peter Parker first became Spider-Man in high school in the comics and this show is about a Spider-Man in his early career as well so it makes sense why he is in high school. Spider-Man's high school years are just as important as his college & adult years. This is no "de-aging" or alteration of the character. Spider-Man is at the age he is supposed to be at this time in his career. I can't say the same thing for everyone else though. Luke Cage and the rest shouldn't have been turned into teens.

I also want to point out that TSSM had a high school Spider-Man too yet you never complained about it there and you love the show. That makes you look like a hypocrite.

1. Drake Bell sounds like a really whiny and annoying version of Spider-Man. He may be the worst or at least one of the worst Spider-Man voice actors I ever heard though this may be due to the script. I'll have to watch Avengers EMH Season 2 and hear what he sounds like there in order to draw a conclusion but based on a clip with Spidey in Season 2 that I saw on YT, it doesn't sound any better. If anything, he may sound slightly worse in that show because you can tell his voice is dubbed over someone else's voice.

2. No offense to you but this is a really stupid statement. Yes, it is a big deal that one of Spidey's greatest and most iconic villains was butchered to the point where this version of him makes Raimi's version of him look like Todd McFarlane's version of him from Amazing Spider-Man #300 in comparison. That says a lot.

4. This is true but I recently gave it a thought and feel it wouldn't have made it a difference anyway because Marvel Animation has openly come out and admitted that they prefer silly unintelligent kids shows with not much of an ongoing story behind them, which is why they cancelled Avengers EMH. TSSM would've probably been cancelled either way and replaced with USM or something similar.

6. He isn't a geek in this show and acts nothing like Spider-Man should have. The immaturity is going too far as well. Even high school Spidey would never act like this. As I said before, he acts the exact opposite way Spider-Man should act. He acts more like Naruto as opposed to Peter Parker/Spider-Man. And for those not familiar with Naruto anime/manga, the Naruto character is literally an annoying immature unlikable irrational moronic retard (no joke lol).

As for him being a SHIELD agent while being on a team and having weapons at his disposal, those are all horribly out of character things for Spider-Man and they don't belong in Spider-Man stories. Including all those things only further prove the writers don't get the character at all which is why they're writing him like Naruto.

7. I disagree. I think they made a show for kids below the age of 6.

You lost me at "no offense to you but that was a really stupid statement..."

Discussion's over for me. Thanks for the response.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #859
NCBIII
Side-Kick

I don't think Drake Bell sucking as Spidey has much to do with the script. There are some lines that would make me laugh if they were spoken by Josh Keaton or Christopher Daniel Barnes, but Drake Bell misses the mark. The most recent example I can think of is when he says, "I calls em' like I sees em'!" in the Electro episode. An amusing line to me, but poorly delivered by Bell.

My problem with him is not just that everything he says comes out whiny and forced (as though he has to try really hard to achieve that puberty voice he goes for), it's also that he has no variety in his delivery. He delivers most of the lines with the same inflections and rate of speech, so it all sounds the same to me. He's also majorly lacking charisma, which is essential to Spidey quippage.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:13 AM   #860
Spider-Aziz
Shinya Kogami

I don't think he sucks, maybe somewhat underwhelming, but not a sucker

~*SHH SIX*~
Proud member of H.E

Old 01-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #861
spidey99
Side-Kick

Just watched the Electro episode I dvdr'd the other day. It was cool. I laughed a few times. Then again, I'm easily amused. this new cartoon has grown on me. I can deal with it just fine.

Keep On Thwipin'!!!
Sam

Old 01-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #862
Marvel Spider
Amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBIII View Post
I don't think Drake Bell sucking as Spidey has much to do with the script. There are some lines that would make me laugh if they were spoken by Josh Keaton or Christopher Daniel Barnes, but Drake Bell misses the mark. The most recent example I can think of is when he says, "I calls em' like I sees em'!" in the Electro episode. An amusing line to me, but poorly delivered by Bell.

My problem with him is not just that everything he says comes out whiny and forced (as though he has to try really hard to achieve that puberty voice he goes for), it's also that he has no variety in his delivery. He delivers most of the lines with the same inflections and rate of speech, so it all sounds the same to me. He's also majorly lacking charisma, which is essential to Spidey quippage.
I agree. When Drake was announced for the voice, I didn't think it was that bad of a choice, and I thought he'd do fine. BUT....his delivery is way off. Like you said, there's no variety. It's all basically yelling in a whiny voice. He needs to tone it down.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:23 PM   #863
Spidey_62
Eeeeeeeeeeelectro

I had no idea when I was watching the episode, but Christopher Daniel Barnes actually voiced Electro.

"So you don't like names, huh? Well that's too bad, Frog-Face. 'Cause to me you're nothing but a two-bit, no-account, second-rate, sewer-breath-baboon with a brain of a pigeon and the face of an eel!" ~ Spider-Man

DeviantArt. Art blog. Hype Art Thread. Twitter. Instagram. YouTube.

INFINITE WONDERS- fun superhero comics drawn by me
Old 01-24-2013, 10:46 PM   #864
Panthro
Our Savior Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
I had no idea when I was watching the episode, but Christopher Daniel Barnes actually voiced Electro.
My mind is officially blown

New 52 Flash SUCKS
Old 01-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #865
Spider-Aziz
Shinya Kogami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
He did? he kinda sounds like Crispin Freeman in some clips

~*SHH SIX*~
Proud member of H.E

Old 01-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #866
Spidey_62
Eeeeeeeeeeelectro

Quote:
He did?
He did. Pretty random but cool.

"So you don't like names, huh? Well that's too bad, Frog-Face. 'Cause to me you're nothing but a two-bit, no-account, second-rate, sewer-breath-baboon with a brain of a pigeon and the face of an eel!" ~ Spider-Man

DeviantArt. Art blog. Hype Art Thread. Twitter. Instagram. YouTube.

INFINITE WONDERS- fun superhero comics drawn by me
Old 01-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #867
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdeverea View Post
You lost me at "no offense to you but that was a really stupid statement..."

Discussion's over for me. Thanks for the response.
Fair enough. Thanks for the response as well.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:54 AM   #868
Spider-Aziz
Shinya Kogami

I had something to comment on this episode, but then I forgot it.....
Oh yeah, the "MY S.H.I.E.L.D. web shooters are AC/DC"
Dude, these are pieces you just place on top of your gloved conventional web shooters, didst thou easily forget?

~*SHH SIX*~
Proud member of H.E

Old 01-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #869
GoldGoblin
Side-Kick

Can't Greg Weisman make Spectacular Spider-Man Season 3 if he calls the show something else?Like The Amazing Spectacular Spider-Man.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #870
GamerSlyRatchet
Side-Kick

Quote:
Can't Greg Weisman make Spectacular Spider-Man Season 3 if he calls the show something else?Like The Amazing Spectacular Spider-Man.
Sony has the rights to the characters, storylines, and all.

Not to mention Weisman can't make something he's not hired to do.

I can say the biggest difference between this show [YOUNG JUSTICE] and "ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN" is showcased in one detail; this show expects their audience to know who H.G. Welles is, while "USM" assumes kids have never done anything but play video games in their room or watch MTV.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #871
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

I also feel the need to bring up that Greg Weisman did approach Marvel and proposed them the idea to continue TSSM as a comic book similar to how he continued Gargoyles as a comic but Marvel did not let him do so for some unknown reason.

Not surprised. It's not happening as long as Joey Q is there. Maybe he was afraid its chances of success could overshadow Slott's crappy overrated run on The Amazing Spider-Man which Quesada personally loves.

Damn. It really sucks. Would've been nice to have a good Spider-Man comic book for once. There's been very few to none since One More Day.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #872
GoldGoblin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
Sony has the rights to the characters, storylines, and all.

Not to mention Weisman can't make something he's not hired to do.
^
Why won't Sony let him do it?

Old 01-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #873
GamerSlyRatchet
Side-Kick

Quote:
^
Because they can't. Sony gave away the television rights to Marvel.

The only POSSIBLE loophole I can think of is animated DTVs, since they are covered within the movie rights Sony kept, which also explains why Marvel hasn't released a Spidey DTV. Greg planned to go the college years with them, but he could get arcs for each movie. The only issue with that is whether Sony will see the profit with that or not.

I can say the biggest difference between this show [YOUNG JUSTICE] and "ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN" is showcased in one detail; this show expects their audience to know who H.G. Welles is, while "USM" assumes kids have never done anything but play video games in their room or watch MTV.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:02 PM   #874
r0derix
Side-Kick

Quote:
^
Sony no longer has the TV rights. I don't know the specifics, but the general idea of the deal was Sony gave the TV rights back to Marvel but got to keep the movie rights.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:14 PM   #875
GoldGoblin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
Because they can't. Sony gave away the television rights to Marvel.

The only POSSIBLE loophole I can think of is animated DTVs, since they are covered within the movie rights Sony kept, which also explains why Marvel hasn't released a Spidey DTV. Greg planned to go the college years with them, but he could get arcs for each movie. The only issue with that is whether Sony will see the profit with that or not.
^
Your a genius,that would be considered a movie.So lets get this thing made.

Closed Thread