The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #576
ThePhantasm
Feedin' the Wampa
 
ThePhantasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 11,755
Default Re: The Official Jimmy Olsen Casting & Discussion Thread

How important was a Jimmy Olsen going to be in a film trilogy anywho? He's always such a minor character in the films.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow_22 View Post
Look for reports of mysterious heroism in the next 6 years. Then check back on this thread
Countdown to Mysterious Heroism | H.E.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #577
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!
 
Lencho01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 16,013
Default Re: The Official Jimmy Olsen Casting & Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
They didn't use Cat Grant because **** Cat Grant.
Come on, man. You know we want to see this on the big screen...




__________________
I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #578
The Guard
Side-Kick
 
The Guard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 26,106
Default Re: The Official Jimmy Olsen Casting & Discussion Thread

Oh, it's probably just some silly "Jimmy Olsen has a twin" storyline. Nah, a Superman project would never do that...

Wonder if Lex Luthor is going to be a female, too.

Also, this makes Turtle Boy less and less a possibility.

__________________
Writer and Lyricist of GOTHAM'S KNIGHT: THE BATMAN MUSICAL

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:33 PM   #579
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!
 
hopefuldreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South West, UK
Posts: 11,346
Default Re: The Official Jimmy Olsen Casting & Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
How important was a Jimmy Olsen going to be in a film trilogy anywho? He's always such a minor character in the films.
Don't see why he couldn't have had a similar amount of relevance as John Blake or someone like that... there is plenty of room within a well written story, for a good young man with the best intentions trying to follow the heroes example.

__________________
I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."


*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #580
superman2090
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 101
Default Re: The Official Jimmy Olsen Casting & Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
How important was a Jimmy Olsen going to be in a film trilogy anywho? He's always such a minor character in the films.
I agree. He's annoying if you ask me. I dont care if he's in it or not much less if they turn the character female. If the rumors are true, I think it's fine.

superman2090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #581
Kalonthar
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The Official Jimmy Olsen Casting & Discussion Thread

I'm less bothered by the possibility of them making Jimmy a female than I am by the fact that a lot of people over the internet seem to like it simply to stick it to the purists and/or people that don't bow down to political correctness.

  Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #582
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!
 
Lencho01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 16,013
Default Re: The Official Jimmy Olsen Casting & Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Oh, it's probably just some silly "Jimmy Olsen has a twin" storyline. Nah, a Superman project would never do that...

Wonder if Lex Luthor is going to be a female, too.

Also, this makes Turtle Boy less and less a possibility.
She's a spy for Lexcorp!

Luthor has Jimmy kidnapped and replaced with Jenny. When Jenny shows up for work, she makes people think maybe someone spelled her name wrong. Thus, Luthor will know what the DP prints about him and can think of a plan for damage control. This leads to the sequel... MOS 2: The Search for Jimmy Olsen.

__________________
I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #583
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!
 
I SEE SPIDEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In Superman's arms
Posts: 36,482
Default Re: The Official Jimmy Olsen Casting & Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalonthar View Post
I'm less bothered by the possibility of them making Jimmy a female than I am by the fact that a lot of people over the internet seem to like it simply to stick it to the purists and/or people that don't bow down to political correctness.
It's PC to not care about Jimmy or any changes made to his character?

__________________
Come think with us:http://thinkmcflythink.squarespace.com/

2014 IS THE YEAR DC/WB DECIDED TO GET SERIOUS.
I SEE SPIDEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #584
Kalonthar
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The Official Jimmy Olsen Casting & Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
It's PC to not care about Jimmy or any changes made to his character?
I'd say that they'd think that depends on the change itself. Either way, I'm not talking about what's PC or not. I just found it disappointing that some people on other sites like the idea simply because they can use it to troll those who don't like the idea, whether it's because those who are against it don't like the change because it's not part of the mythos or because they think PC is getting out of hand. Or because they think the sun is trying to murder them with skittles or any number of reasons.

  Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #585
ThePhantasm
Feedin' the Wampa
 
ThePhantasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 11,755
Default Re: The Official Jimmy Olsen Casting & Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
Don't see why he couldn't have had a similar amount of relevance as John Blake or someone like that... there is plenty of room within a well written story, for a good young man with the best intentions trying to follow the heroes example.
Well, to be honest, I hate the John Blake character... he was the worst part of TDKR in my opinion...

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow_22 View Post
Look for reports of mysterious heroism in the next 6 years. Then check back on this thread
Countdown to Mysterious Heroism | H.E.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #586
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!
 
I SEE SPIDEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In Superman's arms
Posts: 36,482
Default Re: The Official Jimmy Olsen Casting & Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalonthar View Post
I'd say that they'd think that depends on the change itself. Either way, I'm not talking about what's PC or not. I just found it disappointing that some people on other sites like the idea simply because they can use it to troll those who don't like the idea, whether it's because those who are against it don't like the change because it's not part of the mythos or because they think PC is getting out of hand. Or because they think the sun is trying to murder them with skittles or any number of reasons.
I don't condone trolling and I don't have a problem with people who are purists about things like this as I myself am a purists about certain things. That being said usually PC is code word for "I want to be a dick to the less powerful without being criticized for it." Not always but usually.

__________________
Come think with us:http://thinkmcflythink.squarespace.com/

2014 IS THE YEAR DC/WB DECIDED TO GET SERIOUS.
I SEE SPIDEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #587
FilmNerdJamie
Magneto was right!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
FilmNerdJamie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Between the Moon, New York City & your sister
Posts: 8,235
Default Re: The Official Jimmy Olsen Casting & Discussion Thread

Not against this. But it feels like change for the sake of change.

Unlike Perry White where it felt like, "Hey Laurence Fishburne is available and wants to do it... Why not?"

__________________
FilmNerdJamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #588
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!
 
I SEE SPIDEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In Superman's arms
Posts: 36,482
Default Re: The Official Jimmy Olsen Casting & Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
Not against this. But it feels like change for the sake of change.

Unlike Perry White where it felt like, "Hey Laurence Fishburne is available and wants to do it... Why not?"
That and Fishburne is awesome.

Honestly if it's true it's odd but I don't have any affection towards mr. Olsen so it will just be one of those things I look at ten years from now and say "hey, remember that time they made Jimmy a chick? That was odd!" And then I'd go back to eating my McNuggets or something.

__________________
Come think with us:http://thinkmcflythink.squarespace.com/

2014 IS THE YEAR DC/WB DECIDED TO GET SERIOUS.
I SEE SPIDEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #589
DIRECTOR
Side-Kick
 
DIRECTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Somewhere?
Posts: 8,169
Default Re: The Official Jimmy Olsen Casting & Discussion Thread

this all goes back to the lawsuit.... you guys watch, Jenny Olsen will have a sex change for the sequal........ and thus Jimmy Olsen

DIRECTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #590
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!
 
Lencho01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 16,013
Default Re: The Official Jimmy Olsen Casting & Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRECTOR View Post
this all goes back to the lawsuit.... you guys watch, Jenny Olsen will have a sex change for the sequal........ and thus Jimmy Olsen
That could be it.

Superman - no trucks
Lois - a redhead
Perry - a Black man
Jimmy - a woman
Lex - not seen

__________________
I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:17 PM   #591
ThePhantasm
Feedin' the Wampa
 
ThePhantasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 11,755
Default Re: The Official Jimmy Olsen Casting & Discussion Thread

This could just be a big deal about nothing, like Ramirez being rumored to be Montoya in TDK, etc.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow_22 View Post
Look for reports of mysterious heroism in the next 6 years. Then check back on this thread
Countdown to Mysterious Heroism | H.E.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #592
Smallville13
Side-Kick
 
Smallville13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,951
Default Re: The Official Jimmy Olsen Casting & Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
Don't see why he couldn't have had a similar amount of relevance as John Blake or someone like that... there is plenty of room within a well written story, for a good young man with the best intentions trying to follow the heroes example.
Or woman...

Look in the end I don't think anyone will complain if we really like this new character and she ends up being preferable to Jimmy.

Smallville13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:14 PM   #593
Rodrigo90
Winky wink!
 
Rodrigo90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Newcastle, UK
Posts: 22,185
Default Re: The Official Jimmy Olsen Casting & Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
This could just be a big deal about nothing, like Ramirez being rumored to be Montoya in TDK, etc.
Flass and Stephens both being based on characteristics of Bullock in Batman.

__________________
"You can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs - hehehehehehehehe "
Joker
Rodrigo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:38 PM   #594
Compi716
The SHH! Jew
 
Compi716's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Los Angeles.
Posts: 8,455
Default Re: The Official Jimmy Olsen Casting & Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
Flass and Stephens both being based on characteristics of Bullock in Batman.
Flass was based on Flass.

__________________
Clark Kent is Superman's critique of the entire Human race.

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Compi716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:08 AM   #595
Eddie Dean
I Am Not Nice
 
Eddie Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Pangaea
Posts: 6,551
Default Re: The Official Jimmy Olsen Casting & Discussion Thread

Except Flass in Year One is a tall, athletic guy with a blonde crew cut as opposed to Mark Boone Jr's very Bullock-y look and attitude.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Lee Jones
I cannot sanction your buffoonery.
Eddie Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:22 AM   #596
HighFivingMF
Welp.
 
HighFivingMF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 14,144
Default Re: The Official Jimmy Olsen Casting & Discussion Thread

He's still a crooked dick like Flass. Some interpretations of Bullock are corrupt, but still, his name's Flass, so he's based on Flass. He just looks more, but still not very much, like Bullock.

__________________
I like Ben Affleck.
HighFivingMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:39 AM   #597
Frodo
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,675
Default Re: The Official Jimmy Olsen Casting & Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I don't condone trolling and I don't have a problem with people who are purists about things like this as I myself am a purists about certain things. That being said usually PC is code word for "I want to be a dick to the less powerful without being criticized for it." Not always but usually.
I agree . I doubt that the Olsen change was meant to be PC because they're wasn't anything UN PC about him to begin with. I also think that the PC term is usually thrown out for lack of a better argument. I think the change for change sake is a better argument but even then, that argument isn't enough to for me to think the change is a bad idea.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:58 AM   #598
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite
 
Ultimatehero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,473
Default Re: The Official Jimmy Olsen Casting & Discussion Thread

This really sucks. I'm not sexist but, come the hell on - it would easy to change Cat Grant into being whatever the hell this Jenny character is. The audience isn't familiar with Cat and the only difference would be a name. Leaving Jimmy to still be the same character we all know and to include both of them instead of some weird amalgamation. If people say, well his obsession over Superman would seem to be placed better with a woman... okay, if you really want PC - make him gay. That's PC and true to some adaptations at least.

__________________
"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag
Ultimatehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #599
Compi716
The SHH! Jew
 
Compi716's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Los Angeles.
Posts: 8,455
Default Re: The Official Jimmy Olsen Casting & Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatehero View Post
This really sucks. I'm not sexist but, come the hell on - it would easy to change Cat Grant into being whatever the hell this Jenny character is. The audience isn't familiar with Cat and the only difference would be a name. Leaving Jimmy to still be the same character we all know and to include both of them instead of some weird amalgamation. If people say, well his obsession over Superman would seem to be placed better with a woman... okay, if you really want PC - make him gay. That's PC and true to some adaptations at least.
This post deserves two thumbs up. There's no good reason to make Jimmy a woman other than to "spice things up" for the sake of being different.

Other posters can spin this any way they'd like, but it really boils down to this: it's a stupid, pointless change. And for those saying that Jimmy isn't an important character to the mythos, so what does matter anyways...this thread clearly shows that he does matter.

__________________
Clark Kent is Superman's critique of the entire Human race.

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Compi716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #600
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick
 
Dr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,844
Default Re: The Official Jimmy Olsen Casting & Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRECTOR View Post
this all goes back to the lawsuit.... you guys watch, Jenny Olsen will have a sex change for the sequal........ and thus Jimmy Olsen
The degree to which the lawsuit constrained MOS is overstated.

In any case, I don’t think “Jimmy Olsen” (by that name) was a S&S creation. (I believe he first appeared on the radio show.) So putting “legal distance” between an old and new version of the character wouldn’t have been necessary.

Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.