The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

View Poll Results: When will the fans turn on TDK Trilogy in Mass?
When a reboot or JL film is announced 32 39.51%
When we get a poster/stills of the reboot/JL film 11 13.58%
The new Trailer(s) 20 24.69%
Week of Release 18 22.22%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #376
BatBat
Side-Kick
 
BatBat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 358
Default Re: How long before the fan community turns on the Nolan films?

To give my opinion on the poll. I gave up on Nolan's trilogy after The Dark Knight. The final film just sealed the deal for me.

BatBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #377
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,064
Default Re: How long before the fan community turns on the Nolan films?

The thing is, part of the realism included establishing a psychological credibility. And that included Bruce seeing his endeavor as Batman being a finite one with a specific goal: cleaning up organized crime and shaking Gotham out of apathy.

He was never a guy who just planned to punch criminals in the face forever and ever. And if that makes him less like the comic book character, so be it. It fit in perfectly with the realistic tone the films were going for and made for a good story, because Bruce actually had a specific goal that he was trying to accomplish with it all.

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #378
ThreadPool
Internet Narcissist
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SuperHeroHyperbole!
Posts: 1,180
Default Re: How long before the fan community turns on the Nolan films?

Like someone said before, I think it's all up to preference. There are plenty of movies that I don't like but can admit are technically sound. They're well made films period. It's about whether or not you specifically like this interpretation. With the mostly solid acting (and some truly outstanding performances by some main characters), cinematography, practical effects it's going to age well. Very well. All this talk about the way Batman is really, "supposed to be" can get tiresome. There so many ways to approach the character. Next one might not be what I want, but it also could be great at the same time. I'm looking forward to another vision, and I'll always treasure these movies.

__________________
Emily King
Sides
S U P E R H U M A N O I D S
COME SAY HELLO
SZA
Julia
ThreadPool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #379
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,064
Default Re: How long before the fan community turns on the Nolan films?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreadPool View Post
Like someone said before, I think it's all up to preference. There are plenty of movies that I don't like but can admit are technically sound. They're well made films period. It's about whether or not you specifically like this interpretation. With the mostly solid acting (and some truly outstanding performances by some main characters), cinematography, practical effects it's going to age well. Very well. All this talk about the way Batman is really, "supposed to be" can get tiresome. There so many ways to approach the character. Next one might not be what I want, but it also could be great at the same time. I'm looking forward to another vision, and I'll always treasure these movies.


A-frickin'-men.

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #380
shauner111
Side-Kick
 
shauner111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 10,870
Default Re: How long before the fan community turns on the Nolan films?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
The thing is, part of the realism included establishing a psychological credibility. And that included Bruce seeing his endeavor as Batman being a finite one with a specific goal: cleaning up organized crime and shaking Gotham out of apathy.

He was never a guy who just planned to punch criminals in the face forever and ever. And if that makes him less like the comic book character, so be it. It fit in perfectly with the realistic tone the films were going for and made for a good story, because Bruce actually had a specific goal that he was trying to accomplish with it all.
I think it's fair to say that Nolans version of Batman wasn't about random criminals. It was about organized crime and the big threats. This is why i now believe that Blake may never have to create a suit or go out as a Batman or Nightwing. Because Bruce accomplished his goal for the time being and Blake is there incase. Gotham was REALLY bad and corrupt and filled with organized crime. Unless a new mafia starts up or another big time nutjob like the Joker or the League happens.....i dont think he is needed.

I think the idea is for the city to become a regular American city minus mob activity. Kind of like it was during the 8 year gap, but minus the lies/secrets in the system. You'll still have ur little robbery incidents, ur fights, ur domestic violence situations which unfortunately happen. People are sick everywhere, so Arkham will still take in patients. But Blake doesn't need to do anything other than feed the cops information MAYBE. The cops can take care of these normal issues like every other place does.

This is what makes Nolans trilogy different and polarizing now. Because fans want a Batman who goes on forever and who is there for the sole purpose of punching a 20 year old pick-pocketer in the mouth. Burtons Batman was that kind of Batman. Nolans just wasn't. And people are single minded with what they want for their favourite character.

shauner111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #381
Victarion
Cut
 
Victarion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,126
Default Re: How long before the fan community turns on the Nolan films?

Anyone dissatisfied with the TDK trilogy could look at it in a positive light: they can not only get a Batman franchise that feels more like the comics--more outlandish villains like Freeze and Clayface--but that maintains a serious tone and features a Batman who can go on forever.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Trevorrow
But with all this talk of filmmakers “ruining our childhood”, we forget that right now is someone else’s childhood. This is their time.
Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #382
shauner111
Side-Kick
 
shauner111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 10,870
Default Re: How long before the fan community turns on the Nolan films?

It's a long wait til the reboot, but it's coming. And those fans that you mention Mr. Wooden...they'll be rewarded im sure. They still have the comics, animated series, etc in the meantime.

shauner111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #383
jaqua99
....I need a horse!
 
jaqua99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: dont you worry about that
Posts: 6,076
Default Re: How long before the fan community turns on the Nolan films?

I disagree with you. I'm not saying how batman should be, but a comic book character, in a comic book movie, doesn't need to be grounded in realism. That's what I disliked most about the nolan trilogy.

I didn't see them as comic book movies whatsoever, I saw them as action/crime dramas that just happened to star batman and some characters associated with them. The only one I really liked was Batman begins (i am a sucker for origin stories) I've seen the dark knight 3 times, I couldnt sit through it the 3rd, and TDKR was good.

__________________
hi
jaqua99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:27 PM   #384
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,064
Default Re: How long before the fan community turns on the Nolan films?

I think Nolan's philosophy was that by grounding something, you elevate it at the same time.

The example I always point to is the Ninja Turtles movies. The first one was gritty and reality based. It took a very out there concept and played it against a real world. This heightened the excitement of seeing the Turtles IMO. The cartoon was HUGE at the time, yet the movie felt much more grounded than the cartoon. And that movie is much more highly regarded by most fans than the second film, which went for a more cartoony approach. I mean, if you think about it, that was a really ballsy way to approach it. It's to this day one of my favorite comic book films.

So I'll always be very grateful that someone did a more sober, grounded take on my favorite comic book character. It was very cathartic to see Batman operating in a world that didn't seem too far removed from our own.

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #385
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Jollity Farm
Posts: 37,541
Default Re: How long before the fan community turns on the Nolan films?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
The example I always point to is the Ninja Turtles movies. The first one was gritty and reality based.
.....it's got four talking ninja trained giant turtles and a giant talking rat lol. I know the concept of a man in a Bat costume fighting crime is unbelievable, too. But compared to TMNT, it's nothing.

Didn't the sequels have time travel and more mutant creatures that Shredder created?

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #386
TheBat812
Side-Kick
 
TheBat812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,072
Default Re: How long before the fan community turns on the Nolan films?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I think Nolan's philosophy was that by grounding something, you elevate it at the same time.

The example I always point to is the Ninja Turtles movies. The first one was gritty and reality based. It took a very out there concept and played it against a real world. This heightened the excitement of seeing the Turtles IMO. The cartoon was HUGE at the time, yet the movie felt much more grounded than the cartoon. And that movie is much more highly regarded by most fans than the second film, which went for a more cartoony approach. I mean, if you think about it, that was a really ballsy way to approach it. It's to this day one of my favorite comic book films.

I fullheartedly agree. So I'll always be very grateful that someone did a more sober, grounded take on my favorite comic book character. It was very cathartic to see Batman operating in a world that didn't seem too far removed from our own.
Not to mention it took classic batman stories and themes and interwove them ingeniously which actually gave them more weight than they ever had in comic form (imo). I think it being a contained trilogy with bruce actually having a definitive goal with an end was something that brought it to life from the pages of the comics better than anything i could have imagined. Instead of it feeling like a bond episode with no real grand arc, it really tied together, while each film felt incredibly unique in its execution. Now, I'm looking forward to the serialized approach they will probably go with now, but to get a real trilogy (which IMO is the best trilogy ever for cinematic reasons) that can't be ruined by other incarnations is amazing to me. Here's hoping what they do next can appease all those who wanted something more 'fantastical' but still have it be good and intelligent filmmaking, not just another comic book movie.

__________________
"No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness." - Aristotle
TheBat812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:36 PM   #387
shauner111
Side-Kick
 
shauner111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 10,870
Default Re: How long before the fan community turns on the Nolan films?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
I disagree with you. I'm not saying how batman should be, but a comic book character, in a comic book movie, doesn't need to be grounded in realism. That's what I disliked most about the nolan trilogy.

I didn't see them as comic book movies whatsoever, I saw them as action/crime dramas that just happened to star batman and some characters associated with them. The only one I really liked was Batman begins (i am a sucker for origin stories) I've seen the dark knight 3 times, I couldnt sit through it the 3rd, and TDKR was good.
It doesnt need to be but it was. There are many elements in batman that could be done in a more realistic fashion compared to other superheroes because he's a human being without superpowers, and so are most of his rogues. Ive always felt as a fan that there were more real elements about Batmans universe than the fantasy elements. But make no mistake..Nolans movies were far from realistic. There's plenty of fantasy. it's just more mature, more serious, and a little more real world when you put it up against the other CBM's.

You didnt see them as comic book movies but as crime dramas? No problem. They were made to be that way, cuz it was Nolans version. You have the option of disliking it. But for me, i dont enjoy comic book movies much in general. But i love crime dramas. And my favourite Batman stories were like crime dramas anyway. Batman taking on the mob, taking on the Joker, the League of assassins, Catwoman, etc. The monster stories never did it for me.

Opinions differ.

Nolans movies focused on Bruce Wayne and his humanity before anything else. So they placed it in a more relatable world and city. Burtons and Shumachers focused more on Batman, going on forever, mission after mission. Nolans was Batman as an out-of-the-ordinary character in a ordinary world. Burton/Shumacher treated Bats as something that fit in perfectly with its universe.

shauner111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #388
DACrowe
Side-Kick
 
DACrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 26,040
Default Re: How long before the fan community turns on the Nolan films?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
I disagree with you. I'm not saying how batman should be, but a comic book character, in a comic book movie, doesn't need to be grounded in realism. That's what I disliked most about the nolan trilogy.

I didn't see them as comic book movies whatsoever, I saw them as action/crime dramas that just happened to star batman and some characters associated with them. The only one I really liked was Batman begins (i am a sucker for origin stories) I've seen the dark knight 3 times, I couldnt sit through it the 3rd, and TDKR was good.
That's the thing for some of us. Nolan made great films instead of disposable popcorn entertainment like the Marvel movies. Some find that off-putting. I, like others, do not.

__________________
"Let us disappoint the Men who are raising themselves upon the ruin of this Country."

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #389
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,064
Default Re: How long before the fan community turns on the Nolan films?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
.....it's got four talking ninja trained giant turtles and a giant talking rat lol. I know the concept of a man in a Bat costume fighting crime is unbelievable, too. But compared to TMNT, it's nothing.

Didn't the sequels have time travel and more mutant creatures that Shredder created?
Wait, I'm not sure where you're coming from on this one Joker. I know that Batman is an inherently more realistic character than the TMNT, that's part of my point. Even for something as blatantly outrageous as the Ninjas Turtles, you can still play it as happening in the real world. The sequels got more outlandish and as a result they don't have nearly the same kind of dramatic weight as the first one. Most fans love the first film, while opinions tend to be much less favorable towards the second and especially third films.

I'm just trying to state my case on why it's totally justifiable to do Batman with a more realistic tone, when it's been done for even more outrageous comic book characters, and to good effect. Why not go that route with the superhero that's just a wealthy guy who does a lot of pushups?

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158

Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 01-23-2013 at 05:58 PM.
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #390
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Jollity Farm
Posts: 37,541
Default Re: How long before the fan community turns on the Nolan films?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Wait, I'm not sure where you're coming from on this one Joker. I know that Batman is an inherently more realistic character, that's part of my point. Even for something as blatantly outrageous as the Ninjas Turtles, you can still play it as happening in the real world. The sequels got more outlandish and as a result they don't have nearly the same kind of dramatic weight as the first one. Most fans love the first film, while opinions tend to be much less favorable towards the second and especially third films.

I'm just trying to state my case on why it's totally justifiable to do Batman with a more realistic tone, when it's been done for even more outrageous comic book characters, and to good effect.
Ok, I think I see what you mean. You're saying that the Turtles, while totally outrageous characters, were placed in a world with no Technodrome, or Dimension X etc. It was normal New York, and their enemy was just an evil ninja in a metal helmet.

Am I right?

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #391
TheBat812
Side-Kick
 
TheBat812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,072
Default Re: How long before the fan community turns on the Nolan films?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Wait, I'm not sure where you're coming from on this one Joker. I know that Batman is an inherently more realistic character, that's part of my point. Even for something as blatantly outrageous as the Ninjas Turtles, you can still play it as happening in the real world. The sequels got more outlandish and as a result they don't have nearly the same kind of dramatic weight as the first one. Most fans love the first film, while opinions tend to be much less favorable towards the second and especially third films.

I'm just trying to state my case on why it's totally justifiable to do Batman with a more realistic tone, when it's been done for even more outrageous comic book characters, and to good effect.
STM is the best example in terms of comics, and we know that had direct influence on the direction of BB. The idea that a man could fly and miraculously turn the world to reverse time just worked storywise, no matter how nonsensical it is. This kind of break in reality has been an important part of storytelling since the dawn of man, and it still works well, despite some people being so married to realism that that's too much to handle. That's why the TMNT movie plays straight for people despite it obviously being a bunch of dudes in costumes. I'd say that this is why when an effect has practical elements to it it always works better than pure CGI, and I thank Nolan for holding that viewpoint when so few do these days.

__________________
"No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness." - Aristotle
TheBat812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #392
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,064
Default Re: How long before the fan community turns on the Nolan films?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Ok, I think I see what you mean. You're saying that the Turtles, while totally outrageous characters, were placed in a world with no Technodrome, or Dimension X etc. It was normal New York, and their enemy was just an evil ninja in a metal helmet.

Am I right?
Bingo


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
STM is the best example in terms of comics, and we know that had direct influence on the direction of BB. The idea that a man could fly and miraculously turn the world to reverse time just worked storywise, no matter how nonsensical it is. This kind of break in reality has been an important part of storytelling since the dawn of man, and it still works well, despite some people being so married to realism that that's too much to handle. That's why the TMNT movie plays straight for people despite it obviously being a bunch of dudes in costumes. I'd say that this is why when an effect has practical elements to it it always works better than pure CGI, and I thank Nolan for holding that viewpoint when so few do these days.
Exactly...and it's really a testament to the amazing animatronic work in that movie that you could truly emotionally invest in Turtles as much as you could the humans.

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158

Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 01-23-2013 at 06:03 PM.
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #393
theShape
Creature of Darkness
 
theShape's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Inside your mind.
Posts: 11,285
Default Re: How long before the fan community turns on the Nolan films?

The "turning on Nolan" thing has happened already. Now, anyone who is still a whole-hearted fan is considered to be an apologist, helplessly defending his/her beloved Nolan. I just love the guy and his work. His take on Batman will always be there us to watch/enjoy/analyze/criticize.

But the best thing about Batman is that this was ONE TAKE on the character. Now, we have the pleasure of anticipating the NEXT TAKE, which you can bet will be wildly different from Nolan's trilogy. As fans, we ALWAYS WIN. We already have 4 different eras of Batman on film and this **** is going to go on forever. I love it.

__________________
Past the point of no return...
theShape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #394
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,064
Default Re: How long before the fan community turns on the Nolan films?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theShape View Post
The "turning on Nolan" thing has happened already. Now, anyone who is still a whole-hearted fan is considered to be an apologist, helplessly defending his/her beloved Nolan. I just love the guy and his work. His take on Batman will always be there us to watch/enjoy/analyze/criticize.

But the best thing about Batman is that this was ONE TAKE on the character. Now, we have the pleasure of anticipating the NEXT TAKE, which you can bet will be wildly different from Nolan's trilogy. As fans, we ALWAYS WIN. We already have 4 different eras of Batman on film and this **** is going to go on forever. I love it.
Beautifully said man.

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:11 PM   #395
georgec
Not a hero
 
georgec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Belize
Posts: 3,744
Default Re: How long before the fan community turns on the Nolan films?

+1 to shauner, theShape, BatLobster, and others saying similar things.

__________________
Superman with Batman - Whatever It Is... - Countdown until midnight release on March 25, 2016 - updated!

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
georgec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #396
CoolCadaver49
Not a Hero...
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 416
Default Re: How long before the fan community turns on the Nolan films?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
That's the thing for some of us. Nolan made great films instead of disposable popcorn entertainment like the Marvel movies. Some find that off-putting. I, like others, do not.
Hey now, everyone prefers different movies, and I honestly don't consider Nolan's bat-films (other than TDK) of a higher caliber than Iron-man or The Avengers . Personally, I would call The Dark Knight a great film, I would call Batman Begins a good film, and I'd call The Dark Knight Rises a... film.

Anyway, all I'm saying is, you sound like a douche because of the way you present your opinion of the films as established fact. Some find that off-putting. I, like others, do too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theShape View Post
The "turning on Nolan" thing has happened already. Now, anyone who is still a whole-hearted fan is considered to be an apologist, helplessly defending his/her beloved Nolan. I just love the guy and his work. His take on Batman will always be there us to watch/enjoy/analyze/criticize.
I've noticed this attitude, and I agree that it is a shame. Even if I don't necessarily agree with fans that love the whole trilogy, I can't understand why they should be prosecuted for their personal tastes. Plus, Nolan deserves respect for what he gave us: the most cohesive superhero trilogy put to film (so far!).


Quote:
Originally Posted by theShape View Post
But the best thing about Batman is that this was ONE TAKE on the character. Now, we have the pleasure of anticipating the NEXT TAKE, which you can bet will be wildly different from Nolan's trilogy. As fans, we ALWAYS WIN. We already have 4 different eras of Batman on film and this **** is going to go on forever. I love it.
Ah, but is there really any guarantee of that? I think a lot of fans want to see a shift into the more fantastical parts of the Bat-Mythos (so do I). But will the studio be so eager to move away from the gritty "realism" that (apparently*) made this series so successful?

*: I say apparently, because while the tone was a vital part, it certainly wasn't responsible for every successful element of the films.

__________________
Don't agree with this post? Well, it's stylistically designed to be that way, and I can't undo that, but I can diminish the effect of it.
CoolCadaver49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #397
JackWhite
Third Man
 
JackWhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,855
Default Re: How long before the fan community turns on the Nolan films?

One thing I'm nearly positive on, is that the reboot will not have nearly as much weight and emotional depth as Nolan's Bat-trilogy. That will be what I think Nolan will have over whatever comes next for sure.

I remember watching BB for the first time, during Bruce's conversation with Alfred about Wayne Manor being a mausoleum and wanting to pull it down brick for brick, I thought to myself "wow, I really give a damn about what happens to this guy."

JackWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:29 PM   #398
Figs
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Washington
Posts: 26,626
Default Re: How long before the fan community turns on the Nolan films?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
One thing I'm nearly positive on, is that the reboot will not have nearly as much weight and emotional depth as Nolan's Bat-trilogy. That will be what I think Nolan will have over whatever comes next for sure.
I feel the same way. Maybe WB will prove us wrong in the future but I have a feeling the route they're going to take Batman is back to the typical comic book movie style. By that I mean, it's going to be more by the numbers, villian is born/created, Batman goes to stop him...done. As you said, I don't think it's going to have nearly as much emotional depth to it. I think they'll still be done in a serious manner without the cheese of Schumacher's films but I think they're going to be kind of empty films.

I'm not saying Nolan is the only person who can make a deep or deeper type of comic film, I just don't think they're(WB)going to literally copy/rip off his style. That and Nolan did really well with Bruce Wayne's journey in BB more than any other comic film. Good luck to anyone trying to redo that in the future.

I'm not at all saying it's impossible for WB to get a creative team to make the next version of Batman as deep and meaningful as Nolan's, but they have their work cut out for them. I just don't want them getting lazy about it.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #399
RustyCage
Come what may..
 
RustyCage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gotham
Posts: 4,021
Default Re: How long before the fan community turns on the Nolan films?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theShape View Post
The "turning on Nolan" thing has happened already. Now, anyone who is still a whole-hearted fan is considered to be an apologist, helplessly defending his/her beloved Nolan. I just love the guy and his work. His take on Batman will always be there us to watch/enjoy/analyze/criticize.
Yep, I've been seeing this grow monstrously since TDK (believe it or not). Even after BB, there were a couple of toxic seeds being planted.

There's always gonna be some hipster bandwagon out there that wants to be above what's popular, or defend what's unpopular, just for the sake of feeling unique or superior. Just let it roll off your back. Make a point of defense if no one else is, then go back to enjoying things.

In the end, they're not what's important.

Quote:
But the best thing about Batman is that this was ONE TAKE on the character. Now, we have the pleasure of anticipating the NEXT TAKE, which you can bet will be wildly different from Nolan's trilogy. As fans, we ALWAYS WIN. We already have 4 different eras of Batman on film and this **** is going to go on forever. I love it.

__________________
Why do we fall?
RustyCage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:46 PM   #400
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,064
Default Re: How long before the fan community turns on the Nolan films?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
I feel the same way. Maybe WB will prove us wrong in the future but I have a feeling the route they're going to take Batman is back to the typical comic book movie style. By that I mean, it's going to be more by the numbers, villian is born/created, Batman goes to stop him...done. As you said, I don't think it's going to have nearly as much emotional depth to it. I think they'll still be done in a serious manner without the cheese of Schumacher's films but I think they're going to be kind of empty films.

I'm not saying Nolan is the only person who can make a deep or deeper type of comic film, I just don't think they're(WB)going to literally copy/rip off his style. That and Nolan did really well with Bruce Wayne's journey in BB more than any other comic film. Good luck to anyone trying to redo that in the future.

I'm not at all saying it's impossible for WB to get a creative team to make the next version of Batman as deep and meaningful as Nolan's, but they have their work cut out for them. I just don't want them getting lazy about it.
Yeah, bottom line is they're in a position where they probably don't want to just repeat what Nolan did, yet Nolan did so much was that was good. And beyond the "realism", the three movies just covered a rich spread of thematic and emotional territory. It touched on a lot of universal themes and followed a classic hero's arc.

In order for the next film to separate itself, it might have to be intentionally less weighty. That doesn't mean it can't be good or even great, but if they go with the serialized approach where it's a loose continuity of endless stories, by its very nature it would be less emotionally involving. Again, doesn't mean it can't lead to some incredibly enjoyable movies.

One thing I will definitely miss about the Nolan movies is the "homemade" feel they have, despite being massive. It's not too often you find a creative team where the director, writer and production designer are sitting around in a garage swapping ideas and the director is actually building models of the Batmobile himself. It's that super singular vision and hands-on approach that I think will be very tough to replace. For better or worse, those movies are really his babies. Right now it feels like the next franchise will be the studio's baby once again.

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.