The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

View Poll Results: When will the fans turn on TDK Trilogy in Mass?
When a reboot or JL film is announced 32 39.51%
When we get a poster/stills of the reboot/JL film 11 13.58%
The new Trailer(s) 20 24.69%
Week of Release 18 22.22%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2013, 11:04 PM   #401
shauner111
Side-Kick

Default Re: How long before the fan community turns on the Nolan films?

I agree 1000 % with u guys.

Nolan wont be the only one to achieve that level of emotion and depth but we wont get it for a lonnng time. If i had a house to bet on, i would do it in a heartbeat. Id bet that the next series of films will be enjoyed by Bat fans for being true to the source material. But the formula will be very unoriginal and episodic throughout each sequel. Ill bet anything.

Will it become the "Amazing Spider-Man" of the Batman franchise? Liked, thought to be more accurate than past movies at times, but most agree that it's not very original? Maybe. It can surely happen. But even if the reboot is fantastic, i guarantee you the complaints/comparisons will pile up like no other.

"It's just a modern take on Burtons visual style. Nothing new here. Good but it feels empty".

"It's just a fantastical and more fun/accessible version of the Dark Knight trilogy. Even look at the Riddler. It's trying too hard to be Heath. It has a serious script but not much depth, it's just Nolan gone sci-fi and it falls flat."

They'll try to pull off the middle ground between Burton and Nolan. And it could be totally awesome, but it IS following Nolans trilogy. I feel bad for the first movie.

shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:49 PM   #402
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

I just think the rebooted version needs to be its own thing. Nolan and Burton had very distinctive styles when making their Batman films, so it shouldn't be too hard to stray away from either. If people compare (which they will), then who really cares? Let them do it all they want. What matters is if you enjoy it, and if the film makes enough money to warrant a sequel.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:55 AM   #403
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Honestly, I don't think money would be an issue for a reboot. Look at Batman Begins, look at TAS-M even...they weren't STRONG in that regard, but that's basically what happens with a reboot as it doesn't make a whole lot of cash, but a sequel will basically happen if it gets okay to strong critical acclaim and that's what matters the most, I think, when it comes to a first film.

And you're right...the next guy needs to make a different and distinctive version, but I don't think that'll be too hard to do. Burton tried to make an over-stylized gothic tone while Nolan went with a relatable and hyper-realist tone. Something in the middle to have some realistic aspects while retaining a fantastical element shouldn't be trouble.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:57 AM   #404
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
but it IS following Nolans trilogy. I feel bad for the first movie.
I am somewhat excited for the reboot, somewhat not, but this so much. With what Nolan put into the trilogy, you honestly have to feel bad for the reboot more than any other reboot series for a CBM. I would say the same thing for TAS-M if Spider-Man 3 was great too.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #405
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Honestly, I don't think money would be an issue for a reboot. Look at Batman Begins, look at TAS-M even...they weren't STRONG in that regard
Batman Begins wasn't but TASM was. 752 mil worldwide is a very healthy number.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:41 AM   #406
ThreadPool
Internet Narcissist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post

A-frickin'-men.
Thank you, sir.
As long as whoever's next doesn't just carbon copy a formula.
Like, "Oh, hey look. Marvel's/Nolan's/Zack Snyder's way successful. Let's do that!"

COME SAY HELLO
SZA
Julia
ThreadPool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:47 AM   #407
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Quote:
And you're right...the next guy needs to make a different and distinctive version, but I don't think that'll be too hard to do. Burton tried to make an over-stylized gothic tone while Nolan went with a relatable and hyper-realist tone. Something in the middle to have some realistic aspects while retaining a fantastical element shouldn't be trouble.
Yeah. Shouldn't be too hard to accomplish this. Burton and Nolan both went into the extremes with what they were doing, so getting something in the middle wouldn't be too hard. Maybe something that captures the tons of Batman: Arkham Asylum/City could work (and obviously the comic books as well). I think now we'd be able to get villains like Mr. Freeze, Clay Face, Killer Croc, since they would never make an appearance in Nolan's universe.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:51 AM   #408
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Batman Begins wasn't but TASM was. 752 mil worldwide is a very healthy number.
Healthy, yes, but it wasn't as strong compared to Raimi's trilogy. In that regards, it wasn't "strong" numbers as one would usually think Spidey would reach after the three previous films.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
Yeah. Shouldn't be too hard to accomplish this. Burton and Nolan both went into the extremes with what they were doing, so getting something in the middle wouldn't be too hard. Maybe something that captures the tons of Batman: Arkham Asylum/City could work (and obviously the comic books as well). I think now we'd be able to get villains like Mr. Freeze, Clay Face, Killer Croc, since they would never make an appearance in Nolan's universe.
I'd personally add Man-Bat to that list because I've always wanted to see him in a Batfilm.

Last edited by Anno_Domini; 01-24-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #409
RustyCage
Come what may..

I might catch some crap for this from the extremists, but I think the Court of Owls would be really cool for a film. It would roll in the mystery/detective element that I think a lot of us agree has been very sparse in the franchise so far, but also feel fresh and scary too.

Other than them, I would look to: Hush, Black Mask, Red Hood, re-invent the Riddler, Mad Hatter, maybe do something like the Holiday killer, get more into the Falcone family, Hugo Strange, re-approach Catwoman as a villain... Arkham itself could stand to be explored better.

I think I've said this elsewhere, but I also wouldn't mind if they did it as a collection of smaller but meaningful and reflective stories, in the vein of Haunted Knight or Black & White. (If you haven't read those, do it.)

Man-Bat, Freeze done right, and Clayface all would delight me too, in terms of the more 'out there' foes.

Last edited by RustyCage; 01-24-2013 at 02:08 PM.
RustyCage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #410
The Guard
Side-Kick

The only way I'd be okay with the Court of Owls is if The Penguin were involved. And The Sparrow. And Magpie.

And Robin.

Which is ironic, because the original storyline for Tim Burton's BATMAN 2 was similar to the introductory story for Court of Owls.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:09 PM   #411
RustyCage
Come what may..

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
The only way I'd be okay with the Court of Owls is if The Penguin were involved. And The Sparrow. And Magpie.

And Robin.
So basically, as many birds as possible.

Quote:
Which is ironic, because the original storyline for Tim Burton's BATMAN 2 was similar to the introductory story for Court of Owls.
Really? Got a link on this??

Old 01-24-2013, 05:25 PM   #412
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Healthy, yes, but it wasn't as strong compared to Raimi's trilogy. In that regards, it wasn't "strong" numbers as one would usually think Spidey would reach after the three previous films.
It is a very strong number considering that it not only carried the burden of being a reboot and of being the first Spider-Man movie after Spider-Man 3 but it also came out the same summer as TDKR and The Avengers.

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #413
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
It's only 30 million off Spider-Man 2's, the most widely regarded best one of the Raimi trilogy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
It is a very strong number considering that it not only carried the burden of being a reboot and of being the first Spider-Man movie after Spider-Man 3 but it also came out the same summer as TDKR and The Avengers.
Exactly. It did extremely well considering those circumstances.

- The Joker
Old 01-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #414
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
Really? Got a link on this??
You should be able to locate it via Google. It's all over the net. It's kind of vaguely similar, in terms of the secret society behind Gotham's history, etc. It's not as complex as the story involving the Court. I only read the first arc of Court of Owls, so I honestly don't know all the details of it.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #415
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Quote:
It's only 30 million off Spider-Man 2's, the most widely regarded best one of the Raimi trilogy.
I'm only saying it isn't strong because while it did make $700M+, it still couldn't at least make more than the previous Spidey film, something BB at least achieved. While I agree what TAS-M achieved were healthy box office numbers, I wouldn't call it strong and that's why I think the critical acclaim was what was more important on getting a sequel for TAS-M as much as BB.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #416
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
You should be able to locate it via Google. It's all over the net. It's kind of vaguely similar, in terms of the secret society behind Gotham's history, etc. It's not as complex as the story involving the Court. I only read the first arc of Court of Owls, so I honestly don't know all the details of it.
You know, that's a good call. I'm vaguely aware of the "Batman II" premise and you're right, it is kind of reminiscent of the Court of Owls.

And man...the latter part of that arc is...controversial, to say the least.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #417
RustyCage
Come what may..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
You know, that's a good call. I'm vaguely aware of the "Batman II" premise and you're right, it is kind of reminiscent of the Court of Owls.

And man...the latter part of that arc is...controversial, to say the least.
I'm waiting on the collected hardback to read it. Suddenly not so optimistic...

Old 01-24-2013, 08:12 PM   #418
TheGuy
Side-Kick

EDIT: Wrong post.

TheGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #419
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
I'm only saying it isn't strong because while it did make $700M+, it still couldn't at least make more than the previous Spidey film, something BB at least achieved.
The last Batman movie before BB was Batman and Robin. It's really not hard to trump that movie's box office.

Quote:
While I agree what TAS-M achieved were healthy box office numbers, I wouldn't call it strong
I guess you have a different definition of strong. I think any CBM movie that makes over 700 mil is strong.

- The Joker
Old 01-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #420
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

ASM definitely performed a bit better than I expected it to, given the circumstances. I would imagine the Sony was pretty happy with the box office returns.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #421
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
The last Batman movie before BB was Batman and Robin. It's really not hard to trump that movie's box office.
True, but at least Batman Begins was able to get over B&R as well as Returns and Forever unadjusted(domestic and WW). No one can mention TAS-M beating any past Spidey film.

Quote:
I guess you have a different definition of strong. I think any CBM movie that makes over 700 mil is strong.
Any CBM, sure. A Spider-Man film that didn't match any of the last Spidey films, debatable on calling it strong numbers. I'm sure Sony's pleased enough though, for sure.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #422
Squaremaster316
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
That isn't what I've been seeing.It seems like overnight all three films suddenly became cornball,Toby can't act,the SFX are pre-historic,etc.
While some of those aspects have been judged, even before TASM came out, there still hasn't been an outcry against the entire trilogy and TASM isn't getting very high praise, just adequate reviews. Many complaints have been fired at the film based on characterization of the lead and the villain.

There is still a strong junction as to which one is better between the two continuities.

I suspect there to be the same between Nolan's installment vs. whatever next live action Batman incarnation comes out, but there will likely be an even stronger skewing in favor of Nolan's Batman.

Squaremaster316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #423
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's misleading. TASM had 8 years of ticket price inflation and a big boost overseas from 3D ticket prices. It had a solid performance, but SM2's performance in 2004 was a hell of a lot more impressive given the ticket prices of the time. It will be interesting to see how much TASM2 can expand from TASM1. As long as it isn't sandwiched between another Avengers and TDKR situation, it should be able to increase a decent amount.

redfirebird2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:39 AM   #424
TheDevilIsMe
Banned User

The amount of negative online comments (that get highly upvoted, mind you), spoofs of certain elements online, "Honest Trailers", some crying for a Plinkett review, the fact that the film seems to be forgotten almost, and the fact that I keep seeing the film on "Top 10 Most Disappointing/Worst Sequels" lists sometimes ----

--- I'd say the fanboy backlash has already begun. Can't help but notice these things.

Either that or the vocal minority of nay-sayers have taken over the internet comment forums/comment sections/YouTube and are trying to make TDKR seem like a poorly received/disliked and/or crappy sequel.

Those that love the film usually just stay quiet and move on, and not stick around defending it. I certainly don't.

To me, the Nolan films will always be great and well done. Sure I have my issues, but it doesn't detract much.

Last edited by TheDevilIsMe; 02-05-2013 at 03:54 AM.
TheDevilIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:44 AM   #425
Bruce Malone
Why so Bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilIsMe View Post
The amount of negative online comments (that get highly upvoted, mind you), spoofs of certain elements online, "Honest Trailers", some crying for a Plinkett review, the fact that the film seems to be forgotten almost, and the fact that I keep seeing the film on "Top 10 Most Disappointing/Worst Sequels" lists sometimes ----

--- I'd say the fanboy backlash has already begun. Can't help but notice these things.

Either that or the vocal minority of nay-sayers have taken over the internet comment forums/comment sections/YouTube and are trying to make TDKR seem like a poorly received/disliked and/or crappy sequel.

Those that love the film usually just stay quiet and move on, and not stick around defending it. I certainly don't.

To me, the Nolan films will always be great and well done. Sure I have my issues, but it doesn't detract much.
Yes that's just it. The film is still greatly enjoyed by the majority of people who've seen it. Aside form the great critical reviews it has a 92% audience approval on rotten tomatoes and an 8.7 on imdb user reviews.

As for being forgotten already i think Bane was actually trending on twitter last night due to the Superbowl blackout. That football stadium scene has already entered popular culture.

Fan-boys often get too caught-up in the web of "comic-accuracy" and to them a more "comic accurate" film automatically makes it better. I feel that has been their only major complaint with regards to the nolan series.

To me as a batman fan i'm glad batman has now been associated with such a high-caliber of film making. I think we're going to look at the The Dark Knight trilogy like we do the Godfather trilogy in terms of mob films. There have been great mob films since but few have been able to compare to them as a whole.

Last edited by Bruce Malone; 02-05-2013 at 05:47 AM.
Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote