Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #351
shauner111
Side-Kick

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - Part 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
But that's really the thing. We can all speculate on Selina just leaving her behind, but we don't see any fallout between someone that is all for this "storm" and someone that is starting to change her mind. It would've made more of an impact, imo, if Selina confronted someone that she protected and allowed into her life with the knowledge that she doesn't want this life anymore and she's not going to be part of the "storm".
I see what ur saying, but i dont think it was necessary. At least i didn't think so. I got the message. Selina moved on from her problems and Jen stayed. There wasn't really a need for her and Jen to have some confrontation, maybe it would have made the audience feel a bit sorry for Jen. Not that i wouldnt mind a scene like that..but i was okay with what went down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Exactly. You'd swear Jen was prominent character who contributed something important to the story like Reese did. All Jen did was pinch a wallet, hand Selina an envelope, and enjoy the revolution in Gotham.

We didn't need to see any ending with her.
That's just it. When you put it that way...that might actually be the only scenes she's in lol. It's just not necessary to give her anything else at the end.

Last edited by shauner111; 01-22-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #352
Anno_Domini
Banned User

At least you understand my point though, Shauner, lol.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #353
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Except that he doesn't really, as there's not really any exploration of the concept whatsoever. He represents how Foley feels about Batman. Nevermind that saying "Batman is a villain" is kind of redundant filmwise after the Mayor gives a speech about how Dent was betrayed murdered by this "thug". Also, the whole police force chases Batman, so that kind of represents how they feel about him. Foley becomes somewhat redundant in that case.

Which means exactly that. Hell, for all the people of Gotham know, the Bat-symbol just means "Ha ha! I, Batman was behind Bane's occupation of your city, and now I will create this flaming symbol to show you just that!"

Even though the city pretty much did. I'm curious how a flaming Bat-emblem inherently shows that.

Or...a combination of Gordon's encounter with Foley coupled with knowing Batman was back was...although something people seem to miss the point on is that Foley being inspired by Batman's return makes no sense, as he thought Batman was a murderous thug, and I'm hard pressed to remember a sequence in the film where anything else is shown, except when Batman fights with the police, which is after Foley made his choice to stand with them in the first place. What's with Foley's sudden trust in Batman?

The biggest misfire with Foley is that the writing is half-baked. There's supposed to be an emotional payoff to Foley's final stand/sacrifice, but really you just think "Well, he's slightly less of a dick now for actually doing his job".

Yes, in regard to the merry chase. Pretty sure he's talking about the fact that there were tons and tons of police cars, etc after Batman. Not the state of the police in general.

Except that that's a congressman, not a cop. Its not any indication that the police force itself is bloated, complacent, or cocky.

That's basically just Foley being grossly incompetent and a dick.

Which is all well and good. My point is that the sequence doesn't show a police force that is bloated, cocky or complacent, but one that is on top of things.

Who really had no reason to be inspired by Batman to begin with.

We gained a crappy caricature...er, character.

And that person apparently had to be a blithering idiot, because only a blithering idiot could make Gordon look competent...

Correct. What makes it atrocious, terrible, etc, is the fact that tonally, his character barely fits the film he's in, he's incredibly poorly and broadly written, which makes him come across as a caricature of a cop, and his character's "exploration" consists of half-baked ideas and seemingly random resolutions about his few issues which make little to no sense in context.

Because Jen isn't the main character in a film, but a plot device that is more an extension of a main character, in this case, Selina.

Because apparently only being temporarily replaced by a blithering idiot could make Gordon look good by comparison. If anything, it would have been more impressive if Gordon's temporary replacement was COMPETENT, so there'd be at least SOME associated dramatic potential to "Will Gordon retire"?

I didn't really see Foley making a play for Gordon's job. His character might have been a bit more interesting if he had. The film makes it fairly clear that Foley was more or less next in line anyway, and sooner rather than later.
I love watching The Guard work

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
That's just it. When you put it that way...that might actually be the only scenes she's in lol.
They were her only scenes lol. I'd understand if she had been some kind of important element to the story, even in a minor way like Flass or Reese or Earle or Lau were. But she wasn't.

Quote:
It's just not necessary to give her anything else at the end.
Exactly. Of the million and one reviews I've read of TDKR, I don't think I've seen anyone bring her up wondering what happened to her, not even the most nit pickiest reviews.

- The Joker
Old 01-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #354
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Correct. What makes it atrocious, terrible, etc, is the fact that tonally, his character barely fits the film he's in, he's incredibly poorly and broadly written, which makes him come across as a caricature of a cop, and his character's "exploration" consists of half-baked ideas and seemingly random resolutions about his few issues which make little to no sense in context.
I'll keep this brief because honestly, I don't have much of a desire to continue discussing Foley. All I'm saying is I don't think Foley was any less broadly written or less of a cop caricature than say, Commissioner Loeb was. I'm by no means in love with the character but I just don't agree with the idea that he was the worst character in the trilogy and that he shouldn't have existed in the film. There were plenty of other broadly written characters in this trilogy, Foley's just another one in that pile. I never once said that this exact version of Foley was necessary, I'm just saying that to me, a character with his job, his flaws and his arc made sense in the film. My posts on this issue started as an objection to the idea put forth by some that Foley should have just been removed to make more screentime for Batman. That is all.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 01-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #355
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Foley is such a non-issue.

(and personally I think he's a great non-issue...)

Old 01-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #356
RustyCage
Come what may..

My problem wasn't that Foley didn't make sense (with a little imagination), it was that they didn't fully round out the punch, or the point, of him.

He's not the worst character of the trilogy.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #357
Reek
Pork Sausage

I can't say I remember a 'Foley'

Old 01-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #358
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Foley was awesome.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #359
Anno_Domini
Banned User

I sure as hell liked him.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:23 AM   #360
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

The reboot could be set for 2017...?

Ignore the source, but still.

Quote:
A Batman movie reboot may not arrive until 2017 at the earliest, according to a report.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/n...ease-date.html

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 01-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #361
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz

That seems very good. I read an article that said that perhaps Warner Bros. is waiting to see if the Justice League film does well to avoid having problems with the next iteration of Bat-Films.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/...hed-until-2017

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #362
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Just to let you guys know I moved our Justice League convo to the JL News & Spec thread.

http://forums.superherohype.com/show...450951&page=22

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 01-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #363
Anno_Domini
Banned User

I wouldn't be surprised if that's true with a Batman film being in 2017 or even later because it seems to be set in stone for a while that Warner Brothers is doing the opposite of Marvel Studios and having the team-up film first(Justice League) then spit out the individual films.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:51 AM   #364
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Has anyone noticed the similarity between when Alfred broke Batman's cowl to Bane breaking Batman's cowl? They seem to have looked the same after they're broken...or I'm just slow and it took me this long to notice, haha.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:35 AM   #365
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Has anyone noticed the similarity between when Alfred broke Batman's cowl to Bane breaking Batman's cowl? They seem to have looked the same after they're broken...or I'm just slow and it took me this long to notice, haha.
Yeah I think that's been pointed out. I also love the implication of Bane's fist was still enough to break the cowl even with the "specifications".

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 01-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #366
the last son
Side-Kick

Would anyone else have thought it was cool to see batman show up with a beard for his last fight against bane?

Old 01-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #367
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Quote:
I noticed that the minute they released the broken cowl/Bane poster.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #368
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Yeah I think that's been pointed out. I also love the implication of Bane's fist was still enough to break the cowl even with the "specifications".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
I noticed that the minute they released the broken cowl/Bane poster.
Oh..

So I guess I'm slow....lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the last son View Post
Would anyone else have thought it was cool to see batman show up with a beard for his last fight against bane?
I wouldn't. Batman is mostly clean shaven and only at times does Bruce end up growing a beard or mustache but even then, it's usually gone by the time Bruce wears the cowl, as it should be, imo.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #369
the last son
Side-Kick

I just thought the beard under the cowl would be different and epic. Would show batman has more important things on his mind than shaving. It would have looked tough. Like myself.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #370
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
I just thought the beard under the cowl would be different and epic. Would show batman has more important things on his mind than shaving. It would have looked tough. Like myself.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #371
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Your ego is hilarious.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #372
Cunning Stunts

Guys, come on. You're feeding the troll.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #373
the last son
Side-Kick

I wasn't trolling I was just joking around.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #374
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Quote:

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 01-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #375
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Lol, the gifs need to keep comin'.

Closed Thread