Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Ant-Man > Ant-Man

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #76
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Default Re: The Official Ant-Man News and Speculation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
Simon Pegg tweeted that Ant-Man was Edgar's next movie while they were filming the worlds end and with all the prep Edgar has already done I think its possible they might film summer or fall of this year and then spend late 2013/ early in post-production as Ant-Man is going to be an effects heavy film.
I wouldn't count on that at all.
Ant Man is next on Wright's list, but it's not next on Marvels. Cap2 has to get rolling in March, then Guardians probably this summer. Marvel will focus on those two this year.

I know D'Esposito said they were considering AM as a third 2014 release (ie, a third film in production in 2013) but Wright's schedule (World's End didn't allow that.

I could definitely see Ant Man casting before the end of this year though, if he's used in A2 which will shoot early next year.

[QUOTE=spideymouse;24943377](In fact, I feel like they're behind on GOTG.) And I mean, what prep has Wright done? There hasn't been any casting done,

It's there in post #69

Quote:
and just last summer they said they were still trying to get the script right.
D'Esposito said the script was in "great shape" 5 or 6 months ago. Even if it's "done" they'll continue to tweak it up through filming.

Defend night-flight sites...
Trap clamped, snared for pyres...

Witchtripper...
Witchtripper...

Last edited by Moridin; 01-04-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:31 AM   #77
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Wright has been tweaking the script for the past 6 years, so that's not saying anything.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:01 AM   #78
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Wright has been tweaking the script for the past 6 years, so that's not saying anything.
Exactly. They've been saying "the script is great--it just needs more tweaking" for over 6 years now. That thing's been worked over more than Lucille Bluth's nips.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:42 AM   #79
PyroChamber
Chicka Chick-ahhhh

Did Wright ever say why he decided to use Lang over Pym?

And I'm starting to get the feeling that if it weren't for the MCU, this probably would have been more of a stand alone comical superhero movie.

Quote:
Sometimes, it's so easy, I'm ashamed of myself.

Last edited by PyroChamber; 01-07-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #80
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

I hope they avoid things like "Oh no we are tiny sized and are stuck in gum on the floor and now someone is about to step on us." Because avoiding that will help the Ant Man/Wasp powers seem less silly.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:24 AM   #81
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistsean View Post
I hope they avoid things like "Oh no we are tiny sized and are stuck in gum on the floor and now someone is about to step on us." Because avoiding that will help the Ant Man/Wasp powers seem less silly.
I imagine there might be a scene when Pym or Lang first use the formula and shrink down. They will probably fight off ants and discover they have super proportionate strength or something like in the comics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroChamber View Post
Did Wright ever say why he decided to use Lang over Pym?

And I'm starting to get the feeling that if it weren't for the MCU, this probably would have been more of a stand alone comical superhero movie.
I think Wright really likes Lang because he brought the Marvel Premier origin issue of Lang as a kid.

Wright has said in the past that his Ant-Man was a stand alone but that has hopefully changed.

It would be better and attract more people to see it if it was connected to the MCU.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:14 PM   #82
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post

It would be better and attract more people to see it if it was connected to the MCU.
since Ant Man is part of Phase II, it will be connected.
see official statement for the Phase I box set:
Quote:
Even more compelling for fans in the $219 set is a chance to look ahead to Marvelís Phase Two, which starts in May with Iron Man 3 and includes Thor: The Dark World, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Ant-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy and, of course, The Avengers 2.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 01-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #83
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
since Ant Man is part of Phase II, it will be connected.
see official statement for the Phase I box set:
To be fair, it was Entertainment Weekly that added Ant-Man to the list, not any official Marvel statement. I, for one, consider Ant-Man to be Phase III.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #84
SlamAdams
Side-Kick

yea I remember Marvel being pretty ambiguous about Ant Man's place in the schedule at Comic Con but at least they seem committed

Old 01-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #85
bullets
bang bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideymouse View Post
To be fair, it was Entertainment Weekly that added Ant-Man to the list, not any official Marvel statement. I, for one, consider Ant-Man to be Phase III.

How? If it happens before Avengers 2 I think it will be considered Phase ll

Old 01-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #86
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamAdams View Post
yea I remember Marvel being pretty ambiguous about Ant Man's place in the schedule at Comic Con but at least they seem committed
Yeah, I mean, there's a release date now. It's after Avengers 2, so I am opining that a movie that comes after the culmination of Phase II would be set after said culmination. To set it before Avengers 2 would be like if Thor or CA:TFA were released after The Avengers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullets View Post
How? If it happens before Avengers 2 I think it will be considered Phase ll
It is my opinion that the Ant-Man movie will take place after Avengers 2. There is no indication either way at this point if it will be a "prequel" or not, so all we have are our opinions.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #87
bullets
bang bang

I see. I was under the impression it would be out before Avengers 2

Old 01-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #88
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullets View Post
I see. I was under the impression it would be out before Avengers 2
Unfortunately, no. The official release date is November 6, 2015, six months after Avengers 2 comes out. A lot of us fans were hoping it could be released a year earlier in November 2014, which would definitely have made it a Phase II movie.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:43 PM   #89
Chewy
REDACTED

Ant-Man scoop from elmayimbe in an hour

Old 01-22-2013, 10:46 PM   #90
HighFivingMF
Welp.

JokerHereWeGoGifImTooLazyToLookUpRightNow.Gif

Old 01-22-2013, 11:48 PM   #91
Chewy
REDACTED

False alarm, it's GotG related.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #92
Chris B
Side-Kick

I was brainstorming, but if Wright wants to use Lang, what if they did something where at the beginning of the Avengers 2, Pym is already Ant-Man but is retired and his superhero career was relatively recent, only 10-15 years ago. That way his story arc in A2 could be him coming out of retirement to help with Thanos or whoever the villain ends up being.

As for Janet, they can include her origin story as a subplot within the film or she has also retired.

That way, we still get to see the Pyms play a role in the Avengers 2, while Wright can still adapt 'To Steal an Ant-Man' in his film six months later.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:39 AM   #93
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

That would just anger me...

Old 01-24-2013, 12:28 PM   #94
Terror Inc.
Side-Kick

My hope is that given the time Wright has had on this project, and Marvel's involvement since Phase one and The Avenger's took off, they shelved his "To Steal an Ant-Man" script, and came up with a new one that doesn't put Hank and Jan in the 60's or makes them retired. This way, we could get a solid Pym Ant-Man movie, have Hank and Jan in an Avengers movie, where they should be, and then just brush off the dust on Wright's old script and do "To Steal an Ant-Man" for Ant-Man 2. Wishful thinking I know, I just think it'd be the best of both worlds.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #95
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terror Inc. View Post
My hope is that given the time Wright has had on this project, and Marvel's involvement since Phase one and The Avenger's took off, they shelved his "To Steal an Ant-Man" script, and came up with a new one that doesn't put Hank and Jan in the 60's or makes them retired. This way, we could get a solid Pym Ant-Man movie, have Hank and Jan in an Avengers movie, where they should be, and then just brush off the dust on Wright's old script and do "To Steal an Ant-Man" for Ant-Man 2. Wishful thinking I know, I just think it'd be the best of both worlds.
I completely agree. Wright would still get to do his "To Steal" script, but would have much more to work with that ties into one of the biggest movies of all time. He just has to delay gratification for one movie, and he could have a whole ongoing franchise with several options available. If he stubbornly wishes to stick to that script and do it at all costs, just for this one-off movie, then he's being really short sighted and narrow minded. It's like he just wants a one-night stand.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #96
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
I completely agree. Wright would still get to do his "To Steal" script, but would have much more to work with that ties into one of the biggest movies of all time. He just has to delay gratification for one movie, and he could have a whole ongoing franchise with several options available. If he stubbornly wishes to stick to that script and do it at all costs, just for this one-off movie, then he's being really short sighted and narrow minded. It's like he just wants a one-night stand.
It's all hypothetical at this point. A lot has changed between then and now, and we have no idea what effect it has had on the script. What we do know is that Marvel has continued to preach (and enforce) cohesiveness between their movies. The fact that Wright and Marvel have stuck to each other on this project would imply that Wright is still up for playing ball Marvel's way.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:16 PM   #97
Chris B
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
That would just anger me...
How come?

Old 01-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #98
Terror Inc.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideymouse View Post
It's all hypothetical at this point. A lot has changed between then and now, and we have no idea what effect it has had on the script. What we do know is that Marvel has continued to preach (and enforce) cohesiveness between their movies. The fact that Wright and Marvel have stuck to each other on this project would imply that Wright is still up for playing ball Marvel's way.
Right, and it's that cohesiveness between the two that has me hoping Wright kinda let go of "his" Ant-Man movie in favor of something that would blend better into the current MCU. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for "To Steal an Ant-Man" I just think it would be better served down the road. That and I love Pym as Ant-Man, and Jan for that matter. They have to come first!

Old 01-24-2013, 09:45 PM   #99
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

To Steal an Ant-Man is the kind of film someone would make when the franchise is slightly losing steam or the original actor doesn't want to play anymore, and they want to reinvigorate it with a new actor/ character. It's a bit like X-Men: First Class or The Bourne Legacy or US Marshals. It's an odd thing to start off with when Hank Pym is the classic character, fits in better with the Avengers, and probably has many more fans than Scott Lang.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #100
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

In Wright's defense, I understand *why* he chose Lang initially --- the story of a loving dad who becomes a thief and steals a superhero costume (and its powers) to try to get money to pay for the medicine that will save his terminally ill daughter's life is undoubtedly drama that sells itself.

That's why I'm still quietly hoping for both. Scott and Cassie's story is compelling and emotional; while Hank and Janet's story is absolutely crucial for the evolution of the Avengers franchise.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Closed Thread