The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 10:07 AM   #601
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 3

Different. Not sure I like the new DP book.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #602
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

I'm surprised since Brian Posehn is writing it. Seems like that would automatically be good.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #603
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

I had no idea they released 4 issues already. I thought it was starting in Feb or something. I guess it's for the true DP die-hards because I haven't heard a peep about it.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:33 AM   #604
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

Then again, I'm pretty over zombies and vampires in comics so his first arc focusing on him killing zombie presidents was never gonna thrill me. Maybe the next arc

Old 01-24-2013, 07:14 AM   #605
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMMM...Dounuts View Post
How has Deadpool been since the new creative team has been on?
Last DP issue was pretty ****ing funny. Been solid so far, but the Zombie President thing is overstaying its welcome. Should have been a three issue arc, not 5-6.

If you like Tony Moores art and Deadpool then I highly recomend it. Alot to enjoy here.

Last edited by def28; 01-24-2013 at 07:19 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #606
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Zombie Presidents seems like more of a stand alone issue idea.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #607
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
Maybe the crossovers cross
Don't give them any ideas.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:17 PM   #608
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

A crossover within a crossover. Crosseption.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #609
TheCorpulent1
Rory PAOUNCH!
SHH! Global Moderator

Did anybody try Deadpool Killustrated? The comic that crosses DP over with literary works? I was intrigued but I heard literally nothing about it until a couple days ago.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:50 AM   #610
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

I think Uncanny Avengers #3 was one of the best single issues I've read in an extremely long time. Just the way it was structured and written and characterized...it was a perfect combination of classic and modern comic book writing.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #611
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero

That's good to hear. I am finally going to go pick up my comics this weekend. I haven't even read Superior Spider-Man #1 yet.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #612
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Last DP issue was pretty ****ing funny. Been solid so far, but the Zombie President thing is overstaying its welcome. Should have been a three issue arc, not 5-6.

If you like Tony Moores art and Deadpool then I highly recomend it. Alot to enjoy here.
I agree with all of this. This arc was cool but I'm excited to see what they move on to next.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #613
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
I think Uncanny Avengers #3 was one of the best single issues I've read in an extremely long time. Just the way it was structured and written and characterized...it was a perfect combination of classic and modern comic book writing.
You and I are so different in our taste in comics. I was so utterly bored and uninterested with this title. Though, in its defense, I think I came in with a negative attitude due to delays so I'm probably not a good judge of the issue itself.

CConn - "You're not a good judge of any comic."

Just thought I'd help you with your next line

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
Old 01-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #614
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

You forget, I upgraded you to having subpar cognitive function.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #615
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
A crossover within a crossover. Crosseption.

Cross the streams!

Old 01-25-2013, 11:53 AM   #616
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Quote:
You forget, I upgraded you to having subpar cognitive function.
Sweet!!

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
Old 01-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #617
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
Did anybody try Deadpool Killustrated? The comic that crosses DP over with literary works? I was intrigued but I heard literally nothing about it until a couple days ago.
Its alright. Kinda meh. Pretty much the same thing as DP kills the Marvel Universe in terms of quality and laughs. Should be alot funnier given the set up but not as bad some of the other DP stuff in the past years.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:33 PM   #618
THANOSRULES
Side-Kick

This was a post i put up on the CBR Boards regarding the recent ALonso in CHarge interview with LOEB /ALONSO

(http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=43393 )

and I wanted to share it here:

I really wanted to chime in on this NOVA situation..I just have a lot of thoughts on what I've read here and in the article.

First,

-LOEB is being flat out dishonest

DnA were not wrapping up NOVA. The book was still in the 25k range and we had several unfinished plot points (Garthaan Saal/Tarcel/ Namorita)
The book was never announced as canceled, and instead was put on hiatus..no doubt contingent on sales of Thanos Imperitve.

It's easy to see the "rock stars" had designs on the property and basically ambushed it by mandate..let's be real.

- These guys have no clue what they are doing

NOVA was rebooted to this Peter Parker Archetype several times, with no success. In fact this archetype is actual a punchline for bad contemporary character creation. The fact I am seeing High school Nova complete with a bully and skateboard in hand makes my stomach roll...especially with the vision of what LOEB has cranked out in the last few years. His stuff has been "cataclysmically" bad..not just bad. (The Ultimate U has still not recovered)

Rider was in a GREAT place following Annihilation I...he was a character who I had the privilege of following and seeing grow. He was a peter parker, but he grew into a complex young man who went through some horrifying and hardening life experiences in the form of combat and war...he found identifying with life back on earth tough and had a new perspective on the cost of freedom.The result was a man of dignity who became a leader and special hero with fantastic powers and sense of duty.

He was an awesome microcosm for the plight of what many young men are going through right now coming back from Iraq and Afganistan.

I think there are a lot of readers these days who can identify with that..and basically that was the tip of the iceberg on what we wanted or thought was "to come".

-Let's dive deeper into how little and how much Marvel screwed up RIchard Rider...

The very obvious thing that people are touching on is that Rider was never Promo'd like this, never got a legit shot on the Avengers (the Brubaker stint was an insult) or in mainline crossovers. I totally agree with that...but it goes further.

After Annihilation I..marvel basically became obsessed with creating new properties in the cosmic world instead of shoring up what they had...and in this, basically watered down all the momentum they built.

-Letting Giffen sign an exclusive to DC showed the priority Marvel had. Bad move. (more on Giffen later)
-In Annihilation Conquest , Nova was an afterthought..and the series focused on propping up Phyla and garbage like that Wraith character.
-This was basically the same for other marvel cosmic events up until Imperative. (which IMO was DnAs masterpiece)
-After Annihilation I...NOVA should have been a factor in major Marvel Universe event books and A list titles like the Avengers. (let alone a cartoon character and splash adds on IGN for his ongoing..which of course he never got).

Despite all this, both NOVA and GOTG actually came out with solid sales..and this could have been built upon but as the characters lost relevance (even witin the cosmic verse) readers lost interest.

I will fully admit that NOVA lost some steam in the end and needed a boost...but in the usual ways..not in anything dramatic. And for the life of me I don't see how the hiatus helped anything.

I do tend to think DnA are not regarded highly by the Marvel "Powers that be"...basically i assume they attribute the creative initial success to Giffen now in hindsight..and I personally thought Giffen nailed Nova a bit better, but I can't say this with all resolve...as no one really knows how DnA's hands were tied with what could be done and what they were mandated to do.

I still think letting GIFFEN bounce was a huge mistake.

SO ultimately it really makes me mad that guys like Alonso state that hardcore Nova fans are "small" in size, becuase it's mainly there fault this is so.

..and even still a good series launch starts , at its core, with a solid base of fans "to count on"...you play UP to these people (me).... not crap on them.

In alot of ways, as a hardcore Nova fan i would be OK with some legacy stuff if done right. Despite all the above, I'm still tossing in my head if I'm going to support this book.

Marvel (comics) is so darn directionless these days. They also hold supreme grudges against there own properties and characters (see New Warriors)..part of me feel if this book fails we will never see another shot at NOVA in a long time...and maybe... just maybe It could pave the way for a Rider return within the book (ala Hal Jordan) and have a interesting new role.

So i think I will check out issue #1..but I'm doing so with the utmost reservations....but then again i remember it's LOEB here and my skin crawls.

MARVEL, BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL NEW WARRIORS!
Old 01-27-2013, 04:39 PM   #619
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

That sounds about right.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:15 PM   #620
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Eh, I can't blame Marvel too much for dropping DnA for Bendis. It's the fans' own fault for not buying the book when DnA were on it.

But at the same time, Marvel should really just be honest about it.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:17 PM   #621
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

Eh. Someone said earlier that DnA were still selling in the 25 range. Which is respectable. It's Marvel's fault for not publicizing more than their two or three golden boy writers at a time.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #622
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

25k will be nothing compared to what it'll do once Bendis is on it.

Does Marvel even have to publicize Bendis at this point? It seems like as long as his name's on the front cover, it'll sell.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #623
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

Even if they don't have to, they still are. They have him doing interviews all over the place.

They need to push interviews with some of the lesser-known but promising talent. Like DnA.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #624
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Quote:
25k will be nothing compared to what it'll do once Bendis is on it.

Does Marvel even have to publicize Bendis at this point? It seems like as long as his name's on the front cover, it'll sell.
Tell that to Moon Knight and Spider-Woman. Neither had any solo books under his pen make it past issue 12.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #625
Thwip!
Side-Kick

I'm enjoying both the Deadpool books at the moment...but Thor is just nailing it for me