The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

View Poll Results: Which Hulk movie is better?
The Incredible Hulk 189 70.00%
Hulk 81 30.00%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2013, 09:28 PM   #626
kedrell
Aacha,cha,cha&InkaDinkaDo

Default Re: TIH vs. Ang Lee's Hulk

Going to Planet Hulk before they have taken the time in a new film to bring Hulk into his own as a character(yeah, I'm giving up on ever getting a good Hulk origin movie that starts the franchise off in a faithful 616 way with Rick Jones, etc.) would be a mistake, IMO.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:31 PM   #627
Doc Ock
The Desolation of Spidey

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Necessary Evil View Post
I don't see why everyone loves planet hulk, it was a mediocre story but a fairly good animated movie, and I don't care to see a Hulk movie wasted on that.
Everyone loves Planet Hulk because its awesome thats why! But I don't think the time is right for such a film just yet.

A Member of Raimi's "Spider-Man Trilogy" Fans | YOU MUST WATCH DOCTOR WHO | Love Smallville | I still believe in heroes Marvel Studios.
Doc Ock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #628
A Necessary Evil
Peter Parker: Spider-Man

It was okay, but I hate WWH.

Missing you, Heath
A Necessary Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:51 PM   #629
OcStat
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Not even close. Not with the vast, near unrecognizable changes to Ross' character, and the fact that his changed origin actually continues to matter in the rest of the story.
It actually has been a few years since I've seen TIH, only a few months since I last saw Ang's. I tend to forget about General Ross altogether concerning TIH. Nothing against William Hurt, more to do with the changes they made to the character like you say, I'm assuming to fill a role in the story L.L. (No way i can remember how to spell his name) was going for.

I guess I should have said I like to erase (MINOR) bits of TIH to make it a quasisequel in my own eyes.

The only real drastic change I can recall to the origin was Betty getting injured by Banner/Hulk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive1980 View Post
Give me a break.

Apart from it being pretty underwhelming- hulk smashes a couple of tanks and choppers big deal, he does not even seem to have Hulk's true strength level. Instead he is under-powered. You can clearly see Hulk struggling to lift the cannon section of a tank above his head and when the other tank blasts him he falls over.

Compare that to the actual greatest ever action scene of a comic film- Avengers Manhattan battle Hulk kills a chitauri worm with one punch. Much more like it.
Well when you put it like that...

After Avengers of course the Hulk scene is less impressive, but I think it's a far under rated these days.

Last edited by OcStat; 01-24-2013 at 10:58 PM.
OcStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:05 AM   #630
riderishot
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmarrs View Post
Planet Hulk would just be another Hulk movie mess.

Sup,Rider?

duno about planet hulk. just adding what i read from movie insider 2015 list im personally glad HULK has another movie coming out.

hmarrs have you added parker wayne on our board yet??

riderishot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:12 AM   #631
riderishot
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Going to Planet Hulk before they have taken the time in a new film to bring Hulk into his own as a character(yeah, I'm giving up on ever getting a good Hulk origin movie that starts the franchise off in a faithful 616 way with Rick Jones, etc.) would be a mistake, IMO.

all i can say check out movieinsider.com click on 2015 and read "untitle hulk" movie
discription and read base on PLANET HULK./ and you are right they should lead off with rick jones ,leader and built the story.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:09 AM   #632
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

If it were to happen in 2015, we would know by now.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #633
riderishot
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
If it were to happen in 2015, we would know by now.
ehhhh, how would you or anyone know about a unannounced untitle HULK movie that is set for 2015 release 2 years from now?? geez wish people use their heads.
if you notice i mention GO TO MOVIE INSIDER . COM FOR READING YOURSELF simply click on the year 2015 scroll down and read "UNTITLE HULK" movie scroll down more you will read " base on planet hulk" comic book.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:52 AM   #634
metaphysician
Side-Kick

The problem with Planet Hulk as a movie is that it just doesn't fit with Banner's character arc. He just achieved some degree of reconciliation with the Hulk persona, and some degree of acceptance by the world, in Avengers. To go straight from that to a planetary romance barbarian adventure that doesn't even involve Banner much at all? Would be rather horrible a clash. And that's assuming they change the whole start so that its some kind of villain, like the Leader, who sends the Hulk off into space.

It could *maybe* work as a Hulk 3. But for an immediate Hulk sequel? You really need something more earthbound, that deals with the idea of "The Hulk: Superhero".

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #635
riderishot
Side-Kick

Quote:
The problem with Planet Hulk as a movie is that it just doesn't fit with Banner's character arc. He just achieved some degree of reconciliation with the Hulk persona, and some degree of acceptance by the world, in Avengers. To go straight from that to a planetary romance barbarian adventure that doesn't even involve Banner much at all? Would be rather horrible a clash. And that's assuming they change the whole start so that its some kind of villain, like the Leader, who sends the Hulk off into space.

It could *maybe* work as a Hulk 3. But for an immediate Hulk sequel? You really need something more earthbound, that deals with the idea of "The Hulk: Superhero".

I agree, Donna Shuler is the executive producer. maybe someone will advise her to keep BANNER'S character arc. growing . show general audience why HULK is consider a SUPER HERO first.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #636
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

From the way Joss talks about A2 being the movie that basically brings down all the superheroes I'm hoping it goes like this:
Beginning of Avengers 2 we see Hulk being a superhero then in the middle Thanos comes in starts wrecking everything then using some ability to mind control Hulk into fighting the team and possibly killing people which then leads to IM, Strange, Fury, and the Council of 12 to come to the tough decision of shooting Hulk into space to stop his rampage because they weren't able to defeat Thanos therefore leaving the Hulk still under his control but in the hands of the team and this decision could be the thing that Joss was hinting at that would shake up the team and leave them feeling defeated (along with them actually being defeated by Thanos)
Then start TIH with a 15 min recap of the Hulk storyline from A2 then lead right in to Planet Hulk and then they could explain Hulk never turning back into Banner by basically having him feel betrayed by his so called friends and he feels like it's puny Banner's fault for trusting them and therefore by not reverting back to Banner he doesn't have to worry about that
That way it would all tie in together, the audience would get a sense of Hulk being a hero in A2 and it wouldn't be too much stretch of the imagination that Hulk under the influence of Thanos loses control and destroys everything because we already saw in A1 that Hulk could lose control at any time

blalex620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #637
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Hulk already got mind controlled and turned against his allies in Avengers 1. Your being repetitive because you *really* don't like the idea of a heroic Hulk.

( nevermind the fact that I am pretty sure that Thanos *won't be the villain of Avengers 2* )

Old 01-29-2013, 10:23 PM   #638
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

Quote:
Hulk already got mind controlled and turned against his allies in Avengers 1. Your being repetitive because you *really* don't like the idea of a heroic Hulk.

( nevermind the fact that I am pretty sure that Thanos *won't be the villain of Avengers 2* )
First, Hulk was never mind controlled he lost control when he the helicarrier was attacked, difference.

2nd, Jim Starlin (the creator of Thanos) already said Thanos plays a role in A2 so it's no where near out of the realm that'd he'd be the villain

http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/con...and-avengers-2

Old 01-29-2013, 10:51 PM   #639
kedrell

Hulk(along with the rest of the Avengers) may not have been mind-controlled in TA but he/they were definitely under an outside influence which seemed to effect Hulk more than the others.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:03 PM   #640
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

I think the general audience got the consensus that only Hawkeye was mind controlled

Old 01-30-2013, 12:06 AM   #641
kedrell

There's a difference between mind controlled and mind influenced. hawkeye was the former, the rest of the Avengers and especially the Hulk was the latter.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:08 AM   #642
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

@kedrell very true, I still say we haven't see a truly uncontrollable raging Hulk in the movies yet I love Hulk as a superhero but if you want to delve into the true characterization of the Hulk he has to rage at least once.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #643
metaphysician
Side-Kick

The movie made quite clear that Loki was screwing with all their minds. Just because he didn't get hit by the *same* mind control as Hawkeye, doesn't make it any less mind control. Whedon just figured that he didn't have to hit the audience over the head with a great big neon sign saying "He's being mind controlled!" for them to get it.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:34 PM   #644
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

So if what the guy from Latino review says is true I was pretty right on the money on Hulk's storyline

Old 02-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #645
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by blalex620 View Post
So if what the guy from Latino review says is true I was pretty right on the money on Hulk's storyline
That is a rather massive "if".

Old 02-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #646
Aztec
Side-Kick

So Ang Lee's "Hulk" was on AMC last week and I decided to DVR and watch it. I hadn't seen it since I saw it in theaters and hated it immensely.

Looking back at the film I wanted to answer the following questions:
1) Was it as bad as I remembered?
2) Could it fit into the MCU?

The short answers: 1) Not quite and 2) No.

The longer answers:
1) It is certainly not a good movie IMHO. I'm not even sure what it is to be honest with you. The tone kind of jumps back and forth throughout; and it's guilty of taking itself far too seriously. The one thing I do know for sure is that it's not a good Hulk movie. It just seems to me that Ang wanted to tell a different story and he just shoehorned Hulk characters into it. It's uneven, it's dry, and it really does nothing with the Hulk himself. However I did enjoy some of the characters (except Ross he was awful in this one IMHO and Banner's father was a terrible plotline) and emotions more this time than I did in the first go round.

2) To those who question if this could still be considered a quasi-prequel to the MCU; I'd have to say no. Aside from the obvious continuity errors it would introduce: the relationship between the Ross', Betty's injury during the first Hulk out, the fact that the original Hulk out took place at a completely different laboratory, and the manner of Banner gaining his powers...it still doesn't fit. Why? Because the entire tone and characterization doesn't fit with TIH/Avengers at all. It clearly just doesn't go.

My overall summation, this film is just best off forgotten.

Carrie/Machete Order: 4 films..Best Narrative Structure Possible
Search your feelings. You know it to be true.
Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #647
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztec View Post
(except Ross he was awful in this one IMHO
Burn the heretic!

Old 02-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #648
Obi-Ron
Deal with it

Old 02-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #649
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Ross was so much more like the character from the comics in Hulk it was ridiculous. The Ross from TIH annoyed me, Ross never wanted to turn the Hulk into a weapon and would never let Betty out of sight when around the Hulk.

He just wanted to destroy the Hulk and protect his daughter, and this was the Ross in Ang's movie.

1)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(2)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(3)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8(4)The Lego Movie-7.5(5)Robocop-7.5(6)300:Rise Of An Empire-7
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #650
kedrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztec View Post
My overall summation, this film is just best off forgotten.
If only I could.