Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > The Avengers Sequels

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #51
kaijunexus
===---- ゴジラ 2014 ----===

Default Re: The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
CA:TFA was actually the first Phase I movie chronologicaly but the second to last to be released, TIH, the second released Phase I movie is chronologicaly the 4th.
I don't see why Phase II should handle this differently. Ant-Man is probably the most obvious candidate.
Actually, the bookends of Captain America occurred at the end of the Phase 1 timeline.

In general, the films actually went pretty much in order, with a lot of overlap between IM2, TIH, and Thor...

ゴジラ
Old 01-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #52
Incredible Hans
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijunexus View Post
Actually, the bookends of Captain America occurred at the end of the Phase 1 timeline.

In general, the films actually went pretty much in order, with a lot of overlap between IM2, TIH, and Thor...
Well...

- 99% of the Captain America movie takes place before the events of IM and TIH.

- The fact that TIH is overlapping with IM2 and Thor clearly shows that order of release doesn't mean chronological order.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #53
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideymouse View Post
Well the premise of the show is that it exists in the MCU but is wholly separate from the movies. To show cameos of the TV cast might be overstepping that premise.
I don't think anyone ever said that it would be wholly separate. Just that they didn't want a situation where viewers felt they were missing something by just watching the show and not the movies or vice-versa.

That shouldn't preclude hints and the occasional character moving back and forth. That's kind of the fun of the "shared universe" concept. You just don't want to be overbearing with it.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #54
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideymouse View Post
Well the premise of the show is that it exists in the MCU but is wholly separate from the movies. To show cameos of the TV cast might be overstepping that premise.
Well it can't be wholly separate, as it still has Coulson, who has been in the movies. And it's still about the movie universe SHIELD. Cast members of the TV series could just have a line or two in Avengers 2 instead of assigning it to a random extra, just like Agent Sitwell had. Just imagine instead of an unknown playing Galaga, it had been someone like Agent Skye, Fitz or Simmons. Of course, it wouldn't have been since they weren't invented yet, but you get the general idea.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #55
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OB12 View Post
I bet we get some overlap. Yes, the show is going to be about what happens on the fringes of this universe but I think that refers more to story and not so much characters. The stories will be smaller in scope, but the characters, while not as powerful as the ones that have been established, I think will be free to flow back and forth between TV and film.
I'd love for there to be overlap, but it would have to mean something to the stories of those characters for it to be worth the appearances. That is why I brought up the question of how much the movies would influence the show, especially if the characters are to show up in both.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #56
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

I would expect it to overlap. They exist in the same universe. That can still be known without showing overlapping. Though I would expect a bit of it, there is coulson after all

Old 01-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #57
SuperSAINT
Side-Kick

Has this been posted?

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2013/01/24...e-joss-whedon/

Old 01-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #58
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSAINT View Post
To quote someone in the comments there...

7 things = 6 gems + 1 gauntlet

It could be .

Old 01-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #59
Son of Coul
Not 100% A Dick

Or Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Black Widow, Hawkeye and Thanos

Nah not really, but I like that he said the seeds laid in IM3 will be Tony Stark's changing viewpoint and goals. Can't wait to see how that unfolds in both IM3 and Avengers 2.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:53 PM   #60
That Guy
Side-Kick

The fact that he mentioned captain america: the winter soldier when he said 7 things may have been referring to the falcon as a possible seventh menmber of the avengers.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:09 PM   #61
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
The fact that he mentioned captain america: the winter soldier when he said 7 things may have been referring to the falcon as a possible seventh menmber of the avengers.
Yup, I'm pretty sure that's what Feige was talking about. Falcon has already been rumored to be the next addition to the Avengers, and the fact that a new Avengers comic and cartoon (Marvel Now? Sorry, I haven't been keeping up in the past year or two) features the 6 Movie Avengers, plus Falcon, seems to back that up.

Which might answer the question we've all been debating about expanding the roster for Avengers 2. Sounds like Falcon's the only n00b. But I'm still holding out for more additions as Phase II wears on.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 01-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #62
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

That's what I am thinking. Either that, or it could simply be 7 differnet things in the movie. IE, for example, these "things" in avengers 1, could have been, the hulk and thor fight, ironman fight, the hulk rag dolling loki, thor's entry...I think by 7 things, they are just part of the script...basically, i don't think it gives anything away at all

Old 01-24-2013, 11:57 PM   #63
Chewy
REDACTED

Really doubt he was referencing the number of Avengers. Seems like he was just talking about beats within the movie

Old 01-25-2013, 12:22 AM   #64
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Really doubt he was referencing the number of Avengers. Seems like he was just talking about beats within the movie
I seriously doubt even producers sit around and count the number of beats or plot points in any movie.

Quote:
"It's still early days," he said, "but I told [Whedon] after reading the first sketch outline he delivered and there's a lot of work still to do, he has to sit down and turn this into a movie but there are already seven things in there that are worth the price of admission alone."
It makes perfect sense that the "seven things in there that are worth the price of admission alone" are the heroes themselves.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:26 AM   #65
Chewy
REDACTED

Seven just seems like a number he threw out - it sounds impressive. I think this is one of those cases where people are going to read a ton into an off-hand remark

Old 01-25-2013, 12:37 AM   #66
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

But it also sounds like basic movie salesmanship, too. What are you going to advertise to a journo as your main selling points in a movie? Its stars, most likely.

We've already seen "evidence" of a 7-man Avenger team in the new cartoon which is supposed to be based on the MCU Avengers, and Falcon is conspicuously present as the 7th member there.

In any event, note that Feige emphasizes that this is still the early stages of the script, and there may still be changes to the lineup over the next 2-3 years. But it *sounds* like he's saying that the first draft features IM, Cap, Thor, Hulk, Widow, Hawkeye and Falcon as the "Magnificent Seven."

Old 01-25-2013, 12:48 AM   #67
Son of Coul
Not 100% A Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Seven just seems like a number he threw out - it sounds impressive. I think this is one of those cases where people are going to read a ton into an off-hand remark
We've already gotten well into that territory, methinks.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:35 AM   #68
I'm Venom
Anti-Hero

Does anyone really think Falcon is going to be impressive?

Old 01-25-2013, 01:52 AM   #69
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

I don't know how to feel. I am..ambitious I guess. Anxious to see him more than anything. I think he will be a second tier, sort of.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:56 AM   #70
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post

I thought he might have been relating the events in CA:TWS to TA2 the way CA:TFA was related to The Avengers. Specifically, the Tesseract was found by the Red Skull in CA:TFA, then became the focus of Loki's schemes in The Avengers; so another cosmic MacGuffin might be introduced in TWS that will directly influence TA2.

We already know that Arnim Zola, who worked with the Tesseract, will be in TWS. In the comics, A.I.M. was able to create a Cosmic Cube/Tesseract on Earth. The Cube/Tesseract was a part of the Winter Soldier story in the comics, so it would make sense for his handlers to try and make another in the film. Zola could possibly attempt to recreate the Cube, or he could find some other Asgardian artifact of cosmic significance. The Infinity Gauntlet was glimpsed in Odin's vault; it's not beyond the realm of possibility that Loki removed it while he sat on the usurped throne of Asgard and it ended up on Earth. Loki is perfectly capable of secreting the gauntlet (or the Infinity Gems) away in hopes of retrieving it to use in his schemes.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #71
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
I thought he might have been relating the events in CA:TWS to TA2 the way CA:TFA was related to The Avengers. Specifically, the Tesseract was found by the Red Skull in CA:TFA, then became the focus of Loki's schemes in The Avengers; so another cosmic MacGuffin might be introduced in TWS that will directly influence TA2.

We already know that Arnim Zola, who worked with the Tesseract, will be in TWS. In the comics, A.I.M. was able to create a Cosmic Cube/Tesseract on Earth. The Cube/Tesseract was a part of the Winter Soldier story in the comics, so it would make sense for his handlers to try and make another in the film. Zola could possibly attempt to recreate the Cube, or he could find some other Asgardian artifact of cosmic significance. The Infinity Gauntlet was glimpsed in Odin's vault; it's not beyond the realm of possibility that Loki removed it while he sat on the usurped throne of Asgard and it ended up on Earth. Loki is perfectly capable of secreting the gauntlet (or the Infinity Gems) away in hopes of retrieving it to use in his schemes.
I doubt they're going to rehash the Tesseract again....they got all the mileage out of it in Phase One. And people who are trying to stretch "Six Infinity Gems + One Gauntlet = Seven Things Worth the Price of Admission" are getting, well, creative with their math. In any event, I strongly doubt that Feige would imply that a simple macguffin(s) would be the selling point(s) for Avengers 2.

People go to Avengers to see who's part of the team, and how they all work together/play off each other. It's natural that Feige would be emphasizing the roster as the selling point this early in the game (and later in the game, too). The things that would be worth the price of admission are the *players.*

Old 01-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #72
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
I seriously doubt even producers sit around and count the number of beats or plot points in any movie.

It makes perfect sense that the "seven things in there that are worth the price of admission alone" are the heroes themselves.
Agree to disagree. I'm with Chewy here. Feige chooses his words very carefully. I don't think Feige would so overtly hint at a 7-man roster by saying "seven things." It's a little too obvious. And the way he says it sounds like, there are already seven exciting things in the script...and as Joss continues working on it, there will be even more exciting things.

Also, you might be underestimating how involved producers, especially Marvel Studios producers like Feige, are in the process. With previous movies, they have given their screenwriters/directors very specific requirements for certain things to happen in their movies (TIH had to have the cave scene and the kiss before jumping out of the helicopter, Avengers had to have Loki, an alien army, and the final battle had to be in New York City). I don't think it's impossible that Marvel had seven requirements for Joss to include for TA2.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #73
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Agree to disagree then, yes.
But as you said, it's "too" obvious.
Which means that it's obvious that it's obvious-er.

And let's face it: Feige and Marvel Studios aren't practiced in the art of deception, like Chris Nolan and JJ Abrams and M. Night Shyamalan are. Those guys (and their cast/crews) flat-out lie about what is or what isn't in their movies/shows, and engage in deliberate misdirection, double-speak and outright prevarication when promoting their stuff. Feige and MS don't do that. They like to keep things under wraps, and are notoriously sensitive about leaks; but Feige isn't the type of interviewee to lead journos on wild goose chases and red herrings.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #74
Guerrilla
Side-Kick

When I read the latest Feige comments, I immediately thought he was referring to Masters of Evil when he said the "7" comment. I don't know why. Regardless, I agree that he said 7 on purpose and whether that means the IG, a 7 man roster, or the Masters...I choose to believe (at least for now) that it was an intentional reference.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #75
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrilla View Post
When I read the latest Feige comments, I immediately thought he was referring to Masters of Evil when he said the "7" comment. I don't know why. Regardless, I agree that he said 7 on purpose and whether that means the IG, a 7 man roster, or the Masters...I choose to believe (at least for now) that it was an intentional reference.
I'll grant you points for the Masters of Evil. Could well be that he's referring to seven villains that are worth the price of admission, and the fans here who've been clamoring for an MoE might get their wish after all.

I just personally doubt that it's MoE already, and that Thanos is, in fact, the Big Bad for TA2, simply because it makes no sense to plant so many seeds (not only in Avengers 1, but in both Thor movies, and inevitably in GOTG) for his character and then not harvest the fruits until Phase III.

Closed Thread