The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #401
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - Part 7

And they stole the first Iron Man tagline to boot.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:04 PM   #402
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Maid View Post
They seem to be writing Odin to be a more decent person (and not manipulative), in the MCU. So I don't suppose he's going to be setting up any traps for Jane in this movie (or marrying her, for that matter! )
I barely remember the Story for when Jane gained powers, but I'm pretty sure it was to try to keep Thor on Asgard.

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Old 01-24-2013, 01:07 PM   #403
Kryptonian Titan
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
This confirmation of the battles between Thor and Kurse being larger than life and destructive just made me ALOT more excited.

Nothing like that was said about any of the fights in THOR or The Avengers (not counting the final battle).
Count me very excited about it too, BigThor!

Old 01-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #404
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
I barely remember the Story for when Jane gained powers, but I'm pretty sure it was to try to keep Thor on Asgard.
Well. . . there might be a third story in which Jane gains powers, of which I am unaware!

The first of the two to which I was referring was the original 616 story, where Thor takes Jane to Asgard to get Odin's permission for them to marry. Odin says she has to prove herself worthy, makes her the Goddess of Flight, and she unsuccessfully battles "The Unknown" (having no practice with her new powers; thus, as 04nbod put it, it was a trap). So as you say, it didn't work out.

The second one I was thinking of is from the "What if?" line that explores what would happen if Nurse Foster found the stick that's actually Mjolnir in the cave in Norway instead of Dr. Blake. She becomes Thordis (implying that she is Worthy), flies around, saves Don and others, fights baddies, deals with Loki's misbehavior, etc. Eventually she helps defend Asgard against the Mangog. Odin gives Mjolnir back to Thor, but makes Jane a goddess permanently and. . . .proposes marriage to her.

Good times!

"I have lived many ages of men, Steven. Centuries without end. I have seen many great men, and known countless honors. But the greatest honor of this ancient and tired soul has been the privilege of fighting beside you, and calling you my friend."
Old 01-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #405
04nbod
I need to debrief you

When Jane and Sif merged giving Jane the ability to fight really well. She kicked Troll and Commie ass alike and got an amnesiac Odin's memories back (oh the irony!) and he still didn't consider her worthy. He told Thor that he couldn't set foot in Asgard Until he had left Jane.

Odin is Jane's worst enemy and when they meet it is always explosive. They represent the two sides of Thor and his responsibilities so when they're fighting its the fight between Asgard and Midgard in Thor himself.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #406
elizah72
Side-Kick

THis was posted on the IMDB board for Thor 2, so take with a grain of salt if you wish, but apparently there was a Disney conference in London with some Thor 2 footage shown.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1981115/...read/209864998

Quote:
I'm not sure what to say without giving too much away - but I guess I could give you guys one shot to talk about.

Loki, wearing what I can only describe as 'tramp clothes', with a very scraggly beard (think Christian Bale in Batman Begins, when he stole the fruit to survive) sat and slumped against the wall of a white room, yelling manically to himself.

I don't know who he was yelling at (if anyone) or why he was yelling, but it looked very interesting. It's a sort of flipped parallel to Avengers, when he was captured - only this time, he's not particularly enjoying being a prisoner and he's not being treated well.

Also the footage looks very Game of Thrones like. E.g. lots of battle scenes, involving horses, Thor hammering the sh** out of everything, stuff like that. It looked very MEDIEVEL.

Anyway, imma shut up now. But any questions about the footage I've just described I'll happily answer.

I'm not on IMDB, but if anyone is, and wants to ask this person some questions, please PM me as I have a couple questions in mind.

Last edited by elizah72; 01-24-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:08 PM   #407
Doc Ock
1951-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizah72 View Post

Amateur.
Hehe, awesome! Siftastic!

Old 01-25-2013, 01:35 AM   #408
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

I haven't had that what-if in years lol

Quote:
Well. . . there might be a third story in which Jane gains powers, of which I am unaware!

The first of the two to which I was referring was the original 616 story, where Thor takes Jane to Asgard to get Odin's permission for them to marry. Odin says she has to prove herself worthy, makes her the Goddess of Flight, and she unsuccessfully battles "The Unknown" (having no practice with her new powers; thus, as 04nbod put it, it was a trap). So as you say, it didn't work out.

The second one I was thinking of is from the "What if?" line that explores what would happen if Nurse Foster found the stick that's actually Mjolnir in the cave in Norway instead of Dr. Blake. She becomes Thordis (implying that she is Worthy), flies around, saves Don and others, fights baddies, deals with Loki's misbehavior, etc. Eventually she helps defend Asgard against the Mangog. Odin gives Mjolnir back to Thor, but makes Jane a goddess permanently and. . . .proposes marriage to her.

Good times!

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Old 01-25-2013, 04:17 AM   #409
Godzilla2000
Undisputed Kaiju Queen

You know...I think that Jane might be the one character that dies in this movie and the rumor of Frigga dying was just a Red Herring.

- It's easy to know what to do when you know what's wrong.

http://www.cdc.gov/cfs/
Old 01-25-2013, 06:25 AM   #410
elizah72
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla2000 View Post
You know...I think that Jane might be the one character that dies in this movie and the rumor of Frigga dying was just a Red Herring.

Sorry but the very recent AAA quote about having Renee in his arms or beside him, and Anthony, Chris H. and Chris E. with him, definitely points in the direction of it not being a "red herring" that Frigga dies. He's not giving her a hug and a kiss there.

A bit more from AAA

Quote:
"I didn't actually know an awful lot about that character and when I did my research in the comics there wasn't an awful lot. But with the director and myself, we sat down and looked at what was traditionally known as Kurse and we tried to put our spin on it."
However, once Akinnuoye-Agbaje began to flex his acting chops in the role, he ultimately became the part himself as Thor's nemesis.
"There was quite a bit of creative license in how I would interpret him but the wardrobe, the setting, they were phenomenal. When I set into that outfit, I was Kurse. They did such an amazing job it made my job so easy," he said.
The former "Lost" actor also paid homage to the wardrobe department, who all teamed up to put together several parts individually for the flick's tedious outfit.
"There were all these different factions, a different person was making the helmet, a different person making the arms, they all came together prior to the shoot, but in terms of my research before I didn't do an awful lot but once I got into the outfit it set it off. I think the fans are going to be pleased."

Read more at http://www.enstarz.com/articles/1215...VYmlOsA0F35.99

Last edited by elizah72; 01-25-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:25 AM   #411
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Still doesn't mean Frigga would be the *only* character to die in this movie.
This is Alan "Game of Thrones" Taylor we're talking here....he'd be more than happy to turn this into a Shakespearean tragedy with bodies dropping like flies.

And I still think that dropping Portman and Hopkins would make sense from a story standpoint to advance the Thor franchise, as well as give these actors a graceful exit from a stage they don't particularly seem interested in playing on anymore.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 01-25-2013, 07:35 AM   #412
ctsketch
Side-Kick

What are the chances that it's "The Other" who sets Kurse against Thor and Loki? to make good on his promise of Loki having no where to hide?

Old 01-25-2013, 07:38 AM   #413
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Certainly true.

Quote:
And I still think that dropping Portman and Hopkins would make sense from a story standpoint to advance the Thor franchise, as well as give these actors a graceful exit from a stage they don't particularly seem interested in playing on anymore.
Well, as has been discussed, having Odin out of the picture would make it a lot harder for Thor to help out the Avengers, or even pursue his own adventures in the other realms in solo films. So I'm especially skeptical that he will be written out. (I'm also skeptical that will happen to Jane, but the overall storyline could accommodate it better).

There's not really any evidence that either of those actors want out of the franchise. But even if they did, I doubt that would drive plot decisions. If an actor were to want out of a role, but Marvel still were to want the character in the story, they would simply recast the part. They've done so already with other roles. Conversely, if the needs of the story were to require a character to exit, they would write that character out no matter how enthusiastic the actor were to be about the role.

"I have lived many ages of men, Steven. Centuries without end. I have seen many great men, and known countless honors. But the greatest honor of this ancient and tired soul has been the privilege of fighting beside you, and calling you my friend."
Old 01-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #414
elizah72
Side-Kick

Quote:
This is Alan "Game of Thrones" Taylor we're talking here....he'd be more than happy to turn this into a Shakespearean tragedy with bodies dropping like flies. .
I agree, but I actually think some of the Warriors 3 might be in danger of that. There was some pictures from Bourne that I pointed out a while back that looked suspiciously like Volstagg being stabbed in the back. And if Valhalla is used in Thor 3, to help defend Asgard, then we'd see them again there, certainly.

Quote:
Well, as has been discussed, having Odin out of the picture would make it a lot harder for Thor to help out the Avengers, or even pursue his own adventures in the other realms in solo films. So I'm especially skeptical that he will be written out. (I'm also skeptical that will happen to Jane, but the overall storyline could accommodate it better).
agreed on Odin, I also don't think both Thor's parents will die in Thor 2. That's a bit much. I don't think jane will die but she may very well make a permanent exit from Thor's life as the love interest, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
What are the chances that it's "The Other" who sets Kurse against Thor and Loki? to make good on his promise of Loki having no where to hide?
I'm actually beginning to wonder if The Other (or someone) might be psychically attacking Loki in prison, thus causing the appearance of madness. He seemed pretty much under control at the end of Avengers. If Loki's powers had been stripped or limited by the Asgardians then he's a sitting duck for that sort of thing.

Last edited by elizah72; 01-25-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #415
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

You might be right about Hopkins as Odin. I don't mean to belittle Sir Anthony in any way, but he belongs to a group of very accomplished thespians of the "golden ager" variety who are perfectly happy to take (and keep) ANY role just to keep working. That includes Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Ben Kingsley, Michael Caine, Samuel L. Jackson, Morgan Freeman, Jeff Bridges and others --- who are all, unsurprisingly, gold mines for comic book movies.

So yeah, I'm sure Hopkins would be perfectly happy to keep playing Odin for as long as Marvel wants him to.

Portman, however, I have strong doubts about. I think she might've been misled about the tone of the Thor franchise when she saw names like Branagh, Hopkins, Russo, Samjack, Skarsgard and others attached. Now that she realizes that it's popcorn comic-book action instead of "srs bsns" Dark Knight drama, she doesn't seem overly enthusiastic. I dunno. I just think she's still young, and still has a career to think of, and she wants to be a dramatic actor instead of a damsel-in-distress for a CBM; whereas someone like Hopkins has nothing left to prove, and can afford to just have fun with his roles.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #416
Kryptonian Titan
Banned User

Quote:
You might be right about Hopkins as Odin. I don't mean to belittle Sir Anthony in any way, but he belongs to a group of very accomplished thespians of the "golden ager" variety who are perfectly happy to take (and keep) ANY role just to keep working. That includes Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Ben Kingsley, Michael Caine, Samuel L. Jackson, Morgan Freeman, Jeff Bridges and others --- who are all, unsurprisingly, gold mines for comic book movies.

So yeah, I'm sure Hopkins would be perfectly happy to keep playing Odin for as long as Marvel wants him to.

Portman, however, I have strong doubts about. I think she might've been misled about the tone of the Thor franchise when she saw names like Branagh, Hopkins, Russo, Samjack, Skarsgard and others attached. Now that she realizes that it's popcorn comic-book action instead of "srs bsns" Dark Knight drama, she doesn't seem overly enthusiastic. I dunno. I just think she's still young, and still has a career to think of, and she wants to be a dramatic actor instead of a damsel-in-distress for a CBM; whereas someone like Hopkins has nothing left to prove, and can afford to just have fun with his roles.
I don't know if your point about Portman holds... She seems comfortable enough to be in (crappy) popcorn movies like No Strings Attached and Your Highness.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #417
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarnbjorn View Post
I don't know if your point about Portman holds... She seems comfortable enough to be in (crappy) popcorn movies like No Strings Attached and Your Highness.
and you don't get much cheesier than Episode I

Old 01-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #418
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

And who would pass on kissing Chris ?

Old 01-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #419
elizah72
Side-Kick

Apparently not Jaimie Alexander.

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/new...ark-world.html (see page for more including video interview)

Quote:
"You definitely see a more vulnerable side to Sif and she does sacrifice quite a bit for Thor because she is very much in love with him, so you get to see that" Alexander said. "She cares about him, they grew up together." - Jaimie Alexander

Last edited by elizah72; 01-25-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #420
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

Sif and her actress are so damn rad; if they wanna off Jane and have Sif take over love interest duties I'm all for it. She certainly has the "interest" part more locked down than Jane imo

Old 01-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #421
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Coul View Post
Sif and her actress are so damn rad; if they wanna off Jane and have Sif take over love interest duties I'm all for it. She certainly has the "interest" part more locked down than Jane imo
That said, Thor needs a reason to love Midgard. Jane serves that purpose.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #422
elizah72
Side-Kick

I don't think at this point if Jane were not in the picture that Thor would suddenly stop loving Midgard.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #423
Kryptonian Titan
Banned User

Quote:
I don't think at this point if Jane were not in the picture that Thor would suddenly stop loving Midgard.
Yeah, midgard is under his protection after all.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #424
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
I agree.
Spideymouse is right about Jane being at least his main touchstone to Midgard, but like you, I don't think he's going to suddenly lose interest in this world just because Jane dies or breaks off their relationship or otherwise leaves the picture.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #425
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
[Sif] does sacrifice quite a bit for Thor
Now I'm a little worried about Sif. . . .

Closed Thread