Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #76
tbetts14
Side-Kick

Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OB12 View Post
Don't worry, we are going to get superheros and supervillains. The crux of the show is going to be about how SHIELD deals with an ever-growing population of people with powers.
yes but Im still concerned about the FX budget. if the WB wouldnt give smallville and Wonderwoman the type of budget they needed,so Im concerned about the FX budget this show is getting,maybe it can get some marketing dollars from the film franchise's.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:35 AM   #77
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by babykhris View Post
I was thinking what character could appear on this show and here's a list of REALISTIC cameos I'd like to see.

Jasper Sitwell
Quasar
Damage Control
Count Nefaria
Mockingbird (since her show isn't happening put her on this.)
Jessica Jones (see Mockingbird)
mentions of The Leader
Shang-Chi
Speedball
Matt Murdock (not Daredevil)
mentions of The Punisher
Taskmaster as a rogue SHIELD agent
Isn't it better to have Daredevil and not Matt Murdock? Otherwise they have to actually cast Matt Murdock, and if he should some day return to the big screen, will they keep this TV casting? Having DD means you won't necessarily have to see his unmasked face, so it can be anyone.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:39 AM   #78
OB12
Side-Kick

Quote:
yes but Im still concerned about the FX budget. if the WB wouldnt give smallville and Wonderwoman the type of budget they needed,so Im concerned about the FX budget this show is getting,maybe it can get some marketing dollars from the film franchise's.
Keep in mind that we most likely will not get the heavy hitters in this show. What we will get is probably more street level heroes. The FX budget should be plenty to handle what is needed for characters like Daredevil, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, or Moon Knight. Smallville didn't have a big budget and some of the effects were sketchy, but I think they generally handled super strength and speed well enough and martial arts is done any number of shows just fine.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #79
babykhris
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Isn't it better to have Daredevil and not Matt Murdock? Otherwise they have to actually cast Matt Murdock, and if he should some day return to the big screen, will they keep this TV casting? Having DD means you won't necessarily have to see his unmasked face, so it can be anyone.
Daredevil OVERSHADOWS a SHIELD show. I want the show to debut smaller Marvel characters, who could eventually cameo in Avengers 2. Matt Murdock the lawyer makes sense as a liaison to SHIELD on the show

Old 01-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #80
OB12
Side-Kick

Quote:
Daredevil OVERSHADOWS a SHIELD show. I want the show to debut smaller Marvel characters, who could eventually cameo in Avengers 2. Matt Murdock the lawyer makes sense as a liaison to SHIELD on the show
I don't think I would be too terribly concerned with Daredevil overshadowing SHIELD. This show is going to be about how SHIELD deals with a world that is seeing a growing population of heroes and villains. If Daredevil is available to them, and it seems the character now is, then I could see him getting a focus episode or a several episode arc.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:10 AM   #81
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
I don't think I would be too terribly concerned with Daredevil overshadowing SHIELD. This show is going to be about how SHIELD deals with a world that is seeing a growing population of heroes and villains. If Daredevil is available to them, and it seems the character now is, then I could see him getting a focus episode or a several episode arc.
Exactly. It's not like he's going to be a regular or the show will focus on him. It would be a guest appearance or cameo even, and would add to the shared universe feel and the fact that Marvel is able to use all these different characters at their disposal.

I don't even mind DD appearing in the Affleck movie costume if that's all they have to go with at the moment. It will save on costs (and means we won't get a budget TV version). Who is to say DD can't change his costume to something better and more comic accurate later on if he does get a movie?

I suppose even Elektra could appear, but hopefully not Jennifer Garner in the role. Don't know who they would get for her, especially since her face is exposed. I think they could get a TV actress for her though, as she is unlikely to ever headline a movie of her own again. Even Jennifer Garner's onscreen sister Mia Maestro in Alias looked more like Elektra than she did.

Not that I'm suggesting her.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #82
tbetts14
Side-Kick

Quote:
Keep in mind that we most likely will not get the heavy hitters in this show. What we will get is probably more street level heroes. The FX budget should be plenty to handle what is needed for characters like Daredevil, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, or Moon Knight. Smallville didn't have a big budget and some of the effects were sketchy, but I think they generally handled super strength and speed well enough and martial arts is done any number of shows just fine.
Yes thats what Im concerned with of a flagshipshow for superman had anywhere from sketchy to decent FX. Im afraid since shield agents are not flagship characters,they are going to get less than a budget than smallville did.

I would disagree on how most shows do martial arts its alot of camera shaking,but it debatable depending on what you like.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:30 AM   #83
OB12
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yes thats what Im concerned with of a flagshipshow for superman had anywhere from sketchy to decent FX. Im afraid since shield agents are not flagship characters,they are going to get less than a budget than smallville did.

I would disagree on how most shows do martial arts its alot of camera shaking,but it debatable depending on what you like.
Different situations though. Smallville was on the CW and WB went out of their way to make sure that the show had nothing to do any of the ongoing films based on DC characters. SHIELD is going to be on ABC and backed by Disney and it is tied to the third highest grossing film of all time. SHIELD will have a decent budget if it gets picked up, which it should. I am not worried about the FX for this show at all.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #84
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Different situations though. Smallville was on the CW and WB went out of their way to make sure that the show had nothing to do any of the ongoing films based on DC characters. SHIELD is going to be on ABC and backed by Disney and it is tied to the third highest grossing film of all time. SHIELD will have a decent budget if it gets picked up, which it should. I am not worried about the FX for this show at all.
Yeah, Smallville was a TV adaptation. SHIELD is a direct spin-off of a big screen franchise with some of the same actors. In SHIELD you could easily still get even Iron Man appearing (they could either use deleted scenes of him flying from one of the movies or even utilise the same armour FX without even need RDJ to be there).

SHIELD is like Star Trek before the reboot, where the movie and TV franchises could crossover at anytime.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #85
OB12
Side-Kick

They are going about it the right way too, by setting the expectation level low. There is no expectation that we will be seeing Hulk or Thor or Dr. Strange on a regular basis. They intend for this to be smaller with characters that can be faithfully adapted on a TV budget without compromising said characters.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #86
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

I hope any superhero costumes we do see though are better than the types we get in Smallville or Arrow. Huntress in Arrow, for example, really looks generic compared to her comic book counterpart. When it comes to Mockingbird, I don't want to see something similar.

And as I mentioned with Daredevil above, they can still make use of his 2003 costume if they have to, although they'd need to find someone who is 6'4" to fill that suit. Perhaps they could tuck it in at a few places.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #87
OB12
Side-Kick

Yeah, costuming is going to be important for this show, but again this is a different animal from DC's heroes on the CW. It is tied in to an established universe, so it already has a certain level that it needs to measure up to. SHIELD needs to at least look and feel like it exists alongside IM, Thor, Cap, Avengers etc.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #88
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Marvel hasn't bought into the whole "realism" thing that DC/WB have been wedded to for the last few years, so the show is likely to hew more closely to the tone and look of the source material. They will probably use variations on the costumes in the comics, adapted to a TV budget of course. There is a lot they can do with minor heroes and villains that would be interesting without being too expensive.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #89
metaphysician
Side-Kick

They also have the advantage of not needing to use extensive SFX *every* episode. With the stars all being normal human SHIELD operatives, the typical episode probably won't need anything beyond a couple MA/guns fight scenes, and you can potentially have investigative/character episodes that have no particular SFX at all. This means they can conserve budget to spend it where it will matter.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #90
kaijunexus
===---- ゴジラ 2014 ----===

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
They also have the advantage of not needing to use extensive SFX *every* episode. With the stars all being normal human SHIELD operatives, the typical episode probably won't need anything beyond a couple MA/guns fight scenes, and you can potentially have investigative/character episodes that have no particular SFX at all. This means they can conserve budget to spend it where it will matter.
Exactly. There are numerous heroes/villains that they could harvest from the comics that wouldn't really need any SFX at all...

ゴジラ
Old 01-27-2013, 07:41 AM   #91
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Surprisingly, Cobie Smulders says that she is free to appear in S.H.I.E.L.D. because there is no conflict with her commitment to HIMYM. She also said that there have been discussions about that happening.

One can only hope that this means it's possible that Samuel L. Jackson can make cameo appearances as well. I would much rather see Fury stride onto the screen and start kicking ass than have Hill on the show.

http://www.iamrogue.com/news/movie-n...tv-series.html

Old 01-27-2013, 08:02 AM   #92
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Glad to hear that Cobie could show up on SHIELD. Once HIMYM is over, she could even be a permanent cast member eventually. I'm sure she'd appreciate a steady job, unless she also plans to do movies. But since she's not that much of a film actress from what we've seen, a regular stint in a series would suit her, unless she wants a break from weekly filming.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:38 AM   #93
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

It's pretty cool that Hill might be a part of this after all. And I feel pretty confident that SLJ will make a few appearances. Dude makes like 90 movies a year, surely he can squeeze in a few tv guest bits.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 01-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #94
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

I hope this show becomes popular enough that film actors are lining up to guest star in this either as superheroes or villains.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #95
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
It's pretty cool that Hill might be a part of this after all. And I feel pretty confident that SLJ will make a few appearances. Dude makes like 90 movies a year, surely he can squeeze in a few tv guest bits.
There is probably a good chance that SLJ will appear since he has said he's eager to do so in several recent interviews. Whether or not he does will come down to whether they can swing it in the budget and Whedon's overall plan for the show, I suppose. After Fury's appearances in several of the solo films and The Avengers, it would be strange if he did not show up in his organization's TV show.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #96
OB12
Side-Kick

Quote:
There is probably a good chance that SLJ will appear since he has said he's eager to do so in several recent interviews. Whether or not he does will come down to whether they can swing it in the budget and Whedon's overall plan for the show, I suppose. After Fury's appearances in several of the solo films and The Avengers, it would be strange if he did not show up in his organization's TV show.
My takeaway from the Smulders interview is confirmation of what many of us had suspected, that Marvel will attempt to use these characters between TV and film when and where it makes sense. We may not hear about it, but I think a lot casting for roles in the MCU will have provisions for appearances on TV should SHIELD get picked up, which it most likely will.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #97
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

I hope Tim Roth makes an appearance. Would be cool to see William Hurt and Liv Tyler as well.

I'd like "The Consultant" and "A Funny Thing Happened" to be incorporated into actual episodes so that everyone can see them. Those short films are not that widely seen by people.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #98
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
I hope Tim Roth makes an appearance. Would be cool to see William Hurt and Liv Tyler as well.

I'd like "The Consultant" and "A Funny Thing Happened" to be incorporated into actual episodes so that everyone can see them. Those short films are not that widely seen by people.
It probably won't happen if this series takes place after the events of the Avengers.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #99
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideymouse View Post
It probably won't happen if this series takes place after the events of the Avengers.
It can if there's a framing device around them so that someone is retelling events and it expands upon them. Or even without someone retelling, it could still say "6 months earlier" etc. They do that with lots of shows. Heroes had episodes set in the past occasionally. Even Arrow shows Oliver Queen's time on the island every week even though that happened 5 years ago before the present day in which it is set.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #100
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
It can if there's a framing device around them so that someone is retelling events and it expands upon them. Or even without someone retelling, it could still say "6 months earlier" etc. They do that with lots of shows. Heroes had episodes set in the past occasionally. Even Arrow shows Oliver Queen's time on the island every week even though that happened 5 years ago before the present day in which it is set.
I guess I don't see much reason to reuse the footage from those scenes, though. Perhaps I'm failing to see the narrative value of those scenes in terms of how they could frame a SHIELD episode well. I also don't know if the Whedons would even want to incorporate scenes that are wholly foreign to their own show/writing.

Closed Thread