The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 01-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #651
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Default Re: The Official Jimmy Olsen Casting & Discussion Thread

I never cared enough for Jimmy to be offended by a possible sex change. I get those who do, though.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:13 AM   #652
The Watchman
Balls McGee

Just think of Jimmy as a transgender if it bothers anyone...totally a guy under that skirt...

I just blue myself
The Watchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #653
Majik1387
Casting Extraordinaire ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
I'd be concerned if this rumor hadn't come from IMDB.
Co-sign.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
I don't know if the rumor is true or not, but I have to say, she's the best looking Jimmy Olsen I've ever seen.
Lies.

Majik1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #654
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

I already hate this Jenny Olsen, just cause it looks like she is smiling while running from the explosion in the trailer.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #655
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

I'm not devestated if this sex-change is true, but I don't see the point either. Jimmy brings a purpose as Clark Kent's grown up same sex friend.

I like Jimmy.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:09 PM   #656
N7 Joseph Shepard
Human/Kryptonian Hybrid

I hope that if Jenny is Jimmy, its only him in disguise and its reveled at the end that Jimmy was under cover

Snyder
Alexander/Arterton- Wonder Woman - Taylor
Bomer - Green Lantern -
Bay
Pine - The Flash -
Del-Toro
Pearce - Lex Luthor
N7 Joseph Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #657
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
Excellent points and I agree with none of them.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #658
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephCAW View Post
I hope that if Jenny is Jimmy, its only him in disguise and its reveled at the end that Jimmy was under cover
*She grabs her wig*
*Clark and Lois reacting in shock*
*Cut back to completely different male actor taking off wig vaguely similar to Jenny's hair*

Old 01-25-2013, 05:42 PM   #659
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
*She grabs her wig*
*Cut back to completely different male actor taking off wig vaguely similar to Jenny's hair*
Better disguise than Superman's.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

Old 01-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #660
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
I never cared enough for Jimmy to be offended by a possible sex change. I get those who do, though.
Neither did i, i just think it's retarded

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #661
N7 Joseph Shepard
Human/Kryptonian Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
*She grabs her wig*
well Clark pretending to be surprised, he'd probably be the only one other than Perry to know the truth

Snyder
Bomer - Green Lantern -
Bay
Pine - The Flash -
Del-Toro
Pearce - Lex Luthor
Old 01-26-2013, 12:18 AM   #662
NewYorkSpider
We're Doomed

I don't think there will be many scenes at the DP. So why introduce Jimmy right away when you won't see Clark there? I think this Jenny is just a relative and Jimmy will appear in the sequel.

NewYorkSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:33 AM   #663
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Maybe Jimmys married?....

Old 01-26-2013, 02:53 AM   #664
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

So they kill off Jimmy's wife, that will be amazingly evil.

Okay maybe they don't have to kill her. I like the idea.

LibidoLoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:03 AM   #665
N7 Joseph Shepard
Human/Kryptonian Hybrid

or....Jenny is Jimmy's sister........older sister who works at the Planet and is the reason why they have a kid as there photographer

Snyder
Bomer - Green Lantern -
Bay
Pine - The Flash -
Del-Toro
Pearce - Lex Luthor
Old 01-26-2013, 04:56 AM   #666
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
That was a really interesting read

I've always found Jimmy relatable and enjoyable for a lot of the reasons mentioned.

He's the Xander Harris (Buffy) of the Superman world. A character with nothing much special about him - no powers, no major talent or confidence. But he has heart, and the will to get involved and help because he cares about his friends and people in general.

I think it makes perfect sense that he's Supes best friend, cause he kind of represents what he loves about humanity.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #667
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post

I've always found Jimmy relatable and enjoyable for a lot of the reasons mentioned.
That interview read like a dissertation - an (arguably) interesting look at how Jimmy has functioned at the structural or thematic level. Valid, perhaps, for a character who’s been a fixture in sustained serial adventures (comics, TV). But given the practical limits of a movie (or even a trilogy), I’d say Jimmy is a second-tier supporting figure at best. Necessarily, the majority of the screen time needs to be devoted to Superman/Clark, the villain-du-jour, their conflict and interactions. Hopefully, there’d be space for personal character moments/drama with Lois, Ma Kent, etc. But that doesn’t leave much time to explore the Clark/Jimmy “bromance.” And imo, that’s a good thing.

Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #668
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
That interview read like a dissertation - an (arguably) interesting look at how Jimmy has functioned at the structural or thematic level. Valid, perhaps, for a character who’s been a fixture in sustained serial adventures (comics, TV). But given the practical limits of a movie (or even a trilogy), I’d say Jimmy is a second-tier supporting figure at best. Necessarily, the majority of the screen time needs to be devoted to Superman/Clark, the villain-du-jour, their conflict and interactions. Hopefully, there’d be space for personal character moments/drama with Lois, Ma Kent, etc. But that doesn’t leave much time to explore the Clark/Jimmy “bromance.” And imo, that’s a good thing.
As I've said before in this thread, TDKR had the time to include John Blake and give him a reasonably important role with scenes with Bruce, Alfred, Batman, Selina, Gordon etc, I don't see why MOS2 would suffer from the inclusion of Jimmy in a very similar way.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 01-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #669
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
He's the Xander Harris (Buffy) of the Superman world. A character with nothing much special about him - no powers, no major talent or confidence. But he has heart, and the will to get involved and help because he cares about his friends and people in general.

I think it makes perfect sense that he's Supes best friend, cause he kind of represents what he loves about humanity.
Pretty much this. I'm not sure how much the most popular version of Jimmy (the silver-age version, which is only what that article is all about) has to lose to fit naturally into a Nolan/Goyer universe though. I think that's the thing. Clark and Lois are going to be very close in the movie. She's not going to be the unattainable girl she's portrayed as in Birthright and at the start of most Superman origin stories. The two of them in the movie will be each others main confidantes, and best friends. So Jimmy's role is kind of nullified.

The DP dynamic is going to be changed as Lois no doubt is aware (and probably half-responsible for) the Clark Kent disguise act. I'm predicting Perry is gonna be like 'don't think of me as an idiot' Lucious Fox. Could be that Jenny may eventually be in on it too.

Smallville13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #670
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
Pretty much this. I'm not sure how much the most popular version of Jimmy (the silver-age version, which is only what that article is all about) has to lose to fit naturally into a Nolan/Goyer universe though. I think that's the thing. Clark and Lois are going to be very close in the movie. She's not going to be the unattainable girl she's portrayed as in Birthright and at the start of most Superman origin stories. The two of them in the movie will be each others main confidantes, and best friends. So Jimmy's role is kind of nullified.
I don't see why that changes Clark and Jimmy's dynamic... Jimmy's never been his 'confident' in the sense of knowing his secret, so just because Lois does (which a little part of me is still holding out on accepting until it's totally confirmed ) doesn't mean he becomes irrelevant.

As I said before, a bro needs his bro time... that doesn't go away because he gets the girl!

*\S/T*
Old 01-26-2013, 09:19 AM   #671
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't see why that changes Clark and Jimmy's dynamic... Jimmy's never been his 'confident' in the sense of knowing his secret, so just because Lois does (which a little part of me is still holding out on accepting until it's totally confirmed ) doesn't mean he becomes irrelevant.

As I said before, a bro needs his bro time... that doesn't go away because he gets the girl!
No I meant more about Lois being Clarks best friend in this. Kinda diminishes Jimmys role.

I'm not saying you're wrong either though. Just trying to get into Snyders headspace thinking on this ha.

Smallville13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #672
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:

Quote:
As I've said before in this thread, TDKR had the time to include John Blake and give him a reasonably important role with scenes with Bruce, Alfred, Batman, Selina, Gordon etc, I don't see why MOS2 would suffer from the inclusion of Jimmy in a very similar way.
I agree with you, but with the way we even learned of "Jimmy" being in this, I'd say the role will be pretty minor. If Jenny is the Jimmy of MOS, I doubt she'd even be used for comedy. Or at least not the same way we've seen Jimmy treated.

"

Old 01-27-2013, 12:56 AM   #673
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Quote:
IMO, it was also at the expense of certain characters including those listed.

LibidoLoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #674
DavidTyler
Side-Kick

I, for one, am not happy about this news. If you take Jimmy from the animated series, Justin Whalin from'Loud& Clark', throw in a skater/slacker with good having skills as well as being a skilled photog, that's the Jimmy i was hoping for. A reflection of current early college year guys. That would've made him an interesting character and an assert to Lois and the DP. This gender seems like change for the sole purpose of change.

By the way....Jimmy had an aunt Jenny atty one point

DavidTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:34 PM   #675
Uroboric Forms
Your Move, Creep

I really wouldn't get too invested in this considering it's an unfounded rumour based on a screenshot of Perry White running with a woman and IMDB. Personally I'm expecting the real Daily Planet dynamic to be established at the end of the film.

Uroboric Forms is offline   Reply With Quote