The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2008, 01:12 AM   #26
Allykatty1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Full Metal Alchemist live action movie

Ohhhh no, Laurence has the rights to Paolo Cuelho's novel "The Alchemist," not FMA.

  Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:48 PM   #27
xisaacx
trademarks us miserable
 
xisaacx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Metro City 86
Posts: 1,257
Default Re: Full Metal Alchemist live action movie

There is no way in hell it could happen. Its like saying zelda should be made into a movie, it would be miscast and theres to much of the story to fit into a movie. I have NO faith in hollywood to do anime justice, hence why im scared about akira.

__________________
"I want to lay on my back with a pillow and let you sit on my chest with your knees over my forearms and punch me repeatedly." - Chris Hansen
xisaacx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:21 AM   #28
markstrange
Side-Kick
 
markstrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Muskogee, Ok
Posts: 1,002
Default Re: Full Metal Alchemist live action movie

I Think this thread should be turn into a "What if" and we should start picking actors and directors and making fan-manips.





Only sort of a joke... When I first saw him, before I knew the character, this is the actor I thought of.


__________________
Superheroes fill a gap in the pop culture psyche, similar to the role of Greek mythology ... Superman is essentially a god, but Batman is more like Hercules: he`s a human being, very flawed, and bridges the divide. - Christopher Nolan

Last edited by markstrange; 01-18-2011 at 01:35 AM.
markstrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:11 PM   #29
Dandy Man
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 148
Default Re: Full Metal Alchemist live action movie

I hate the idea of any anime being made into a movie. Yet, if they were to make a movie...at least people wouldn't complain about race..since the anime takes place in germany.

Dandy Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:43 PM   #30
markstrange
Side-Kick
 
markstrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Muskogee, Ok
Posts: 1,002
Default Re: Full Metal Alchemist live action movie

Zelda should be made into a movie.

__________________
Superheroes fill a gap in the pop culture psyche, similar to the role of Greek mythology ... Superman is essentially a god, but Batman is more like Hercules: he`s a human being, very flawed, and bridges the divide. - Christopher Nolan
markstrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:00 AM   #31
Fading
>:(
 
Fading's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,199
Default Re: Full Metal Alchemist live action movie

I think it could be, but I'd rather it not. To tell the truth, while I understand the comments that say most animes could never make a good real life movie, I disagree. Thing is, while there are plenty of crazy or over the top moments in animes that wouldn't make sense in a real world setting, there's also plenty of moments that someone could make a great live action film with. FMA is no different, it has enough of a solid base to make one killer movie out of.

Problem is tho that usually anime films are left in the hands of writers or directors who want to do "their" version of it. Same with books, comics, games, ect. Except that a lot of animes need even more help to make that translation to a real world than say a video game most of the time. On top of that, the right actor is never put in the right spot. It's either someone famous who's not right for the role, or a dumb pretty face who can't act. Chances are we'd have Leonardo Decaprio cast as Ed, and Mark Walberg as Al (probably wearing bits of armor rather than being a suit as well).

So I think an FMA film is possible, and could be awesome, but I highly doubt it'd ever be put in the hands it actually needs to be put in. So no, I'd rather not see another movie like the live action Dragon Ball. Poorly made anime movies can easily kill off any hopes a good anime series ever has of making it here in the US before it ever gets real momentum. FMA is one of the few animes that hit it off with US audiences enough that quite a few ppl heard about it. Make a crappy movie and most ppl will assume that the series is that bad, or just asume it's, "Just another kids show".

__________________
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

Last edited by Fading; 02-05-2011 at 06:15 AM.
Fading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:56 PM   #32
Angelus_Darko
Derriere extraordinaire
 
Angelus_Darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Somewhere in Mexico City
Posts: 462
Default Re: Full Metal Alchemist live action movie

OK, so this is just my opinion, but I think that Roy Mustang is the one role that Keanu Reeves could play without problems.

Angelus_Darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #33
Secret Fawful
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bat Country
Posts: 2,573
Default Re: Full Metal Alchemist live action movie

European actors for the Amestrian roles. Spanish or German. I'd cast a Spaniard for roles that require greater amount of emotion, such as Edward Elric or Izumi Curtis, as Spaniards just have this way about them that gives them incredible command over emotional acting. Seriously. For the homonculi, perhaps Asian or European roles. It depends. I think that casting Asians could help the homonculi look more foreign compared to the European Amestrians to a Western audience. I consider FMA the Star Wars of the anime world so to speak, and I think the eastern sensibilities would help make the story incredibly unique to a western audience. I think if it is done, it should be done as a trilogy.

A couple casting ideas:

David Kross is a young German actor I would look at for Edward or Alphonse. He is short enough that he could easily be made to look even shorter on film, he has the right voice for Edward, and as an up-and-coming actor he's not bad. I see a lot of potential in him. You can see him opposite Kate Winslet in The Reader. He's also cast in War Horse by Steven Spielberg. Which brother he could play better is a tough call. I honestly think his face fits Edward more, as Alphonse's is much fatter, and Kross's face is more well developed, and would suit Ed more. Plus his expressions channel Ed pretty well.














Daniel Radcliffe would make a great Envy. He just has this slightly unnerving smile that Envy also sports, with a very babyish face, and a thin yet muscular physique.








Secret Fawful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:41 AM   #34
Darkb0rn
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 79
Default Re: Full Metal Alchemist live action movie

I could see it happening someday, but I dont see it being done well at all. It will be like what they did with Dragonball or Street Fighter....

Darkb0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:45 PM   #35
Lord
All Mighty
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12,879
Default Re: Full Metal Alchemist live action movie

Lol at these coments, after watching both shows i can say that it would be quite easy to adapt and would make a killer film series, don't give me that crap about it being a great work of it's medium that shouldn't be adapted into anything else because there are many other mangas/ animes that are like that, but Fullmetal's not one of those.

One Piece, Bobobobo, Doraemon, Toriko, All those are amazing works that expecially fit the manga/ anime medium and wouldn't make the jump to live-action well (One Piece's like the avengers, it could possibly work, but there would have to be some good examples of manga/ anime adaptaions, a lot of money and creative minds for it to ever work. Maybe in about 50 years?).

Fullmetal Alchemist on the other hand is a good example of a manga that could be adapted very easily, unlike Dragon Ball and Death Note which have some elements difficult to adapt, FMA's very straightforward though, doesn't have that manga only type of jokes and while big, has fights that can be easily done with modern technology.

Of course it wouldn't work as a single movie, my only question is how many films it should be, a trilogy or quadrilogy, the first film could adapt the important things up until the end of Laboratory 5, the sequel would start with hughes death and could end after the secrets of the central are revealed, along with father, then the 3rd film could adapt the entire strugle in the icy north and the 4th film could adapt the res of the story, which is basically the final battle.

The last film could be shot back-to-back, but if it's too many i've seen many posters mentioning it could be a great trilogy. I'm not sure how the plot should be divided though, some of the episodic stuff from the begining could be deleted, but the rest of the story's very straightforward

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:39 AM   #36
TheWiseGuy487
Electrifying!
 
TheWiseGuy487's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,555
Default Re: Full Metal Alchemist live action movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Lol at these coments, after watching both shows i can say that it would be quite easy to adapt and would make a killer film series, don't give me that crap about it being a great work of it's medium that shouldn't be adapted into anything else because there are many other mangas/ animes that are like that, but Fullmetal's not one of those.

One Piece, Bobobobo, Doraemon, Toriko, All those are amazing works that expecially fit the manga/ anime medium and wouldn't make the jump to live-action well (One Piece's like the avengers, it could possibly work, but there would have to be some good examples of manga/ anime adaptaions, a lot of money and creative minds for it to ever work. Maybe in about 50 years?).

Fullmetal Alchemist on the other hand is a good example of a manga that could be adapted very easily, unlike Dragon Ball and Death Note which have some elements difficult to adapt, FMA's very straightforward though, doesn't have that manga only type of jokes and while big, has fights that can be easily done with modern technology.

Of course it wouldn't work as a single movie, my only question is how many films it should be, a trilogy or quadrilogy, the first film could adapt the important things up until the end of Laboratory 5, the sequel would start with hughes death and could end after the secrets of the central are revealed, along with father, then the 3rd film could adapt the entire strugle in the icy north and the 4th film could adapt the res of the story, which is basically the final battle.

The last film could be shot back-to-back, but if it's too many i've seen many posters mentioning it could be a great trilogy. I'm not sure how the plot should be divided though, some of the episodic stuff from the begining could be deleted, but the rest of the story's very straightforward
I always thought it would be cool if they opened with a flashback to Ed and Al trying to bring back their mother.

There would be shots of them making a transmutation circle, getting all of the necessary ingredients, random textbooks/notes/diagrams on a desk and walls, intercut with credits. At first, everything seems to be going well, and then it all quickly goes to hell. Quick cuts of the catastrophe with audio of Al and Ed screaming in agony. The very last thing we see is a haunting image of the abomination brought about by the botched transmutation.

And then cut to Ed waking up in a sweat on a train, sitting right across from Al.

__________________
You wanted to be the hero. Now you gotta pay the price.

5-.-2-.-14
_______________________

TheWiseGuy487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #37
Lord
All Mighty
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12,879
Default Re: Full Metal Alchemist live action movie

Yeah, i also think that's a great way to start the story. The first film could then start with the events of Reole, Shou Tecker and how he turned his daughter into a chimera could be told when Ed mentions chimeras, the plot could then follow Scar's battle against the alchemists and end with the events of laboratory 5

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #38
TheWiseGuy487
Electrifying!
 
TheWiseGuy487's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,555
Default Re: Full Metal Alchemist live action movie

Re-reading what you said about how to divide up the events for different films, I think the very last arc should be divided into two separate films, because there is so much that happens that it probably couldn't be done justice with just one film.

I think it would be great to begin the last arc with the few-month time skip, when Ed makes his reappearance after his injury in Briggs. It's the perfect starting point and it happens after a considerable amount of time to make people wonder what has been going on. It could end with Roy Mustang vs. Envy and Hohenheim confronting Father. It would be the perfect resolution to Roy's arc, and give people a taste of what's to come.

The fifth film would begin right with the ongoing battle in Central, Father changing into his different form, Father activating the Circle, the ensuing battle between Father and the others, etc. You get the idea.

It think it's much more feasible to divide it up that way, instead of cramming it all into one film. It gives a chance to let each individual part breathe and let the story conclude properly.

I would probably divide up the overall story like this:

1st Film = Discovery Arc (includes Leore, Introduction of Scar, 5th Laboratory, Maes Hughes dies, Izumi Curtis, Greed, hint at Father, etc.)

2nd Film = Xing Arc (includes Maria Ross charged with murder of Hughes, Ed/journey to Xing, Roy vs. Lust, etc.)

3rd Film = Briggs Arc (includes the Ishval War flashback Riza tells to Ed)

4th and 5th Films = What I listed above.

__________________
You wanted to be the hero. Now you gotta pay the price.

5-.-2-.-14
_______________________


Last edited by TheWiseGuy487; 01-27-2013 at 12:49 PM.
TheWiseGuy487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #39
Lord
All Mighty
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12,879
Default Re: Full Metal Alchemist live action movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseGuy487 View Post
Re-reading what you said about how to divide up the events for different films, I think the very last arc should be divided into two separate films, because there is so much that happens that it probably couldn't be done justice with just one film.

I think it would be great to begin the last arc with the few-month time skip, when Ed makes his reappearance after his injury in Briggs. It's the perfect starting point and it happens after a considerable amount of time to make people wonder what has been going on. It could end with Roy Mustang vs. Envy and Hohenheim confronting Father. It would be the perfect resolution to Roy's arc, and leave people wondering what will happen next.

The fifth film would begin right with the ongoing battle in Central, Father changing into his different form, Father activating the Circle, the ensuing battle between Father and the others, etc. You get the idea.

It think it's much more feasible to divide it up that way, instead of cramming it all into one film. It gives a chance to let each individual part breathe and let the story conclude properly.

I would probably divide up the story like this:

1st Film = Discovery Arc (includes Leore, Introduction of Scar, 5th Laboratory, Maes Hughes dies, Izumi Curtis, Greed, hint at Father, etc.)

2nd Film = Xing Arc (includes Maria Ross charged with murder of Hughes, Ed/journey to Xing, Roy vs. Lust, etc.)

3rd Film = Briggs Arc (includes the Ishval War flashback Riza tells to Ed)

4th and 5th Films = What I listed above.
I think that then there wouldn't be that much plot for each film, i think that the final battle would work better as a single movie, start after the months skip, everybody's preparing for the battle, pride is captured and the next day the plan is put into motion. The climax is everybody against father.

If you divided the events as you just said the final film would be single battle against Father, something that can be done in 20 minutes or less (excluding the epilogue)

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #40
TheWiseGuy487
Electrifying!
 
TheWiseGuy487's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,555
Default Re: Full Metal Alchemist live action movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
I think that then there wouldn't be that much plot for each film, i think that the final battle would work better as a single movie, start after the months skip, everybody's preparing for the battle, pride is captured and the next day the plan is put into motion. The climax is everybody against father.

If you divided the events as you just said the final film would be single battle against Father, something that can be done in 20 minutes or less (excluding the epilogue)
I guess you're right about that. To be honest, I haven't watched the anime or read the manga for about a year or so, so details of the story and plot are a little sketchy to me.

Just curious, and I know you gave me a general idea of how you would divide up the story, but what would you do specifically? It would probably give me a better idea of what you're talking about.

__________________
You wanted to be the hero. Now you gotta pay the price.

5-.-2-.-14
_______________________

TheWiseGuy487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #41
Lord
All Mighty
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12,879
Default Re: Full Metal Alchemist live action movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseGuy487 View Post
I guess you're right about that. To be honest, I haven't watched the anime or read the manga for about a year or so, so details of the story and plot are a little sketchy to me.

Just curious, and I know you gave me a general idea of how you would divide up the story, but what would you do specifically? It would probably give me a better idea of what you're talking about.
Well, the 1st and last films would be like i said as for the 2nd and 3rd film i'm not very sure, i guess the 3rd film would follow Briggs very closelly, but film 2 would have to change the order some things took place and change others, like how Edward encountered Ling while Scar encountered that other girl, it was probably too much of a coincidence

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:35 AM   #42
M-2
Ultimate BAMF
 
M-2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 671
Default Re: Full Metal Alchemist live action movie

I think if this Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood ever had to made, there is only one made that could do it justice.... PETER JACKSON.

Four Movie Epic in the vain of Lord of Rings..... There aren't many epic stories to be told in the same vain as Lord of the Rings but FA would certainly earn its place next to the middle earth brilliance

__________________
In the End, You Will Always Kneel...

FILMRAPS.BLOGSPOT.COM
M-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #43
Lord
All Mighty
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12,879
Default Re: Full Metal Alchemist live action movie

I remember the fan favourite choice being Guillermo Del Toro. I think Fullmetal Alchemist's more in the scale of Harry Potter than Lord of the Rings, another reason for how it can be easy to adapt.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.