The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

View Poll Results: Love interest for Cap
Sharon Carter 86 79.63%
Wasp 3 2.78%
Other 19 17.59%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 02:40 AM   #776
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

Default Re: Love Interest for Captain America II

I still say they should do this story idea:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistsean View Post
I think he should have a sort of Love Triangle. Not so there is the drama of juggling two girls or one finding out or something. Not that type of triangle. It should be Agent Sharon Carter of SHIELD and Bernie Rosenthal, an stained glass artist and glass blower.
The idea would be that he is drawn to both women, one represents his life as Captain America and the other represents his life as Steve Rogers. Which should he choose?
It would help symbolize the choice Steve feels like he has to make, being Steve or being Captain America.

Thats what I would make the movie about too.
It would take place in modern day and show how Steve is struggling with his new life. Should he give up being Steve since everyone he knew is dead or dying? Should he just be Captain America? Or should he try being Steve? Being an artist like he was before the serum and WWII? Should he try to have a normal life apart from Captain America?
A sort of love triangle that reflects his inner turmoil about where his life is heading, the two paths he can take.
And then add the stuff about the Winter Soldier on top of all that.

So, maybe, he sets himself up a new life outside of being Cap where he meets Bernie, but then the Winter Soldier stuff brings him and Agent Carter together. The turmoil also can be effected, one way or the other, by Bucky and the Winter Soldier. Maybe it makes him feel he should retire from being Cap, maybe it makes him feel he cannot ever retire. Maybe if Bucky becomes good again it opens the door for him to retire being Cap, pass it on like in the comics.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:28 AM   #777
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
I've said it a few times before, Cap doesn't need a female. His only love interest in this movie should be

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Yeah, but Steve can't get no satisfaction from an abstract concept. He needs some girly action.

It's too bad they can't bring back Hayley Atwell. She was perfect.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:58 AM   #778
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistsean View Post
I still say they should do this story idea:

A sort of love triangle that reflects his inner turmoil about where his life is heading, the two paths he can take.
And then add the stuff about the Winter Soldier on top of all that.

So, maybe, he sets himself up a new life outside of being Cap where he meets Bernie, but then the Winter Soldier stuff brings him and Agent Carter together. The turmoil also can be effected, one way or the other, by Bucky and the Winter Soldier. Maybe it makes him feel he should retire from being Cap, maybe it makes him feel he cannot ever retire. Maybe if Bucky becomes good again it opens the door for him to retire being Cap, pass it on like in the comics.

Ugh. No Bernie.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 01-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #779
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Cap needs to get laid.
It's been 70 years. Maybe longer.
:P

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Yeah, but Steve can't get no satisfaction from an abstract concept. He needs some girly action.

Steve Rogers,the 100 year old virgin

Old 01-26-2013, 12:25 PM   #780
Guerrilla
Side-Kick

Quote:
Cap needs to get laid.
I admit. I am terrible at manips. But whatever. I had to do this...

Old 01-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #781
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

It's actually more like 95 years.

- CM Punk
Old 01-27-2013, 04:34 AM   #782
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrilla View Post
I admit. I am terrible at manips. But whatever. I had to do this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
It's actually more like 95 years.
Not Mine; but close enough.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:49 AM   #783
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

You guys have too much time on your hands

Old 01-27-2013, 09:29 AM   #784
Christopher_M
League of Shadows

Since Marvel has been very interested with the cast of Scott Pilgrim.. including hiring Chris Evans.. looking at Mary Elizabeth Winstead (for Maria Hill), Anna Kendrick (Cap 2) and Brandon Routh (rumored for Guardians)... I wouldn't mind seeing Brie Larson at least being considered for Sharon or even Mockingbird..

Old 01-27-2013, 03:03 PM   #785
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

If she got more muscular/toned than what she looked like in 21 Jump Street, I'd be happy.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #786
Schlosser85
SHH! Global Moderator
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Cap needs to get laid.

Pretty sure he's a virgin, considering he'd never really even interacted with a woman before Maggie and I don't think they had sex.

Two wrongs just make something more wrong.

Movie Review Site:
Old 01-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #787
Zatanna
Mistress of Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post

Her in that dress? Dayum.

I really loved her. She was one of the best things about the movie IMO.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:43 PM   #788
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
Pretty sure he's a virgin, considering he'd never really even interacted with a woman before Maggie and I don't think they had sex.
Who's Maggie....? You mean Peggy Carter....?

Look, people get a lot of mileage out of the "90-100 Year Old Virgin" bit, but there's no evidence to prove that Steve never got laid during WWII. Or before WWII, for that matter. The hapless romantics out there like to pretend that Steve and Peggy were this match-made-in-heaven couple and that he dutifully remained chaste and virgin for that dance that would never happen....

....but realistically, the dude was a young, good-looking guy even as a wimp, and he actually had a double date before the whole Super Soldier Serum thing; and then he was surrounded by a bevy of beautiful USO dancers for a good part of the early war; and after he bulked up with Super Steroids, Private Lorraine probably represented one of a ton of women who willingly threw themselves at Cap.

If he remained "chaste" through all that, with or without Peggy Carter, let's face it: he had to be in the closet. There's just no way a red-blooded all-American boy from Brooklyn would've passed on at least one of those many opportunities.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #789
flickchick85
Loose Seal

Quote:
Look, people get a lot of mileage out of the "90-100 Year Old Virgin" bit, but there's no evidence to prove that Steve never got laid during WWII. Or before WWII, for that matter. The hapless romantics out there like to pretend that Steve and Peggy were this match-made-in-heaven couple and that he dutifully remained chaste and virgin for that dance that would never happen....

....but realistically, the dude was a young, good-looking guy even as a wimp, and he actually had a double date before the whole Super Soldier Serum thing; and then he was surrounded by a bevy of beautiful USO dancers for a good part of the early war; and after he bulked up with Super Steroids, Private Lorraine probably represented one of a ton of women who willingly threw themselves at Cap.

If he remained "chaste" through all that, with or without Peggy Carter, let's face it: he had to be in the closet. There's just no way a red-blooded all-American boy from Brooklyn would've passed on at least one of those many opportunities.
Well whether it's believable or not, the movie clearly implied that was indeed the case, from the very thinly veiled "waiting for the right partner" metaphor that they kept running to the very end, to Steve being horrified at the very thought that Peggy might suspect him of having any kind of relations with another girl (when Natalie Dormer stole a kiss). In fact, I think his incredibly uncomfortable behavior during that whole scene, even before Peggy walked, in is evidence enough that Steve was still very much in virgin territory at that point. They wanted us to believe that Steve had eyes for no girl other than Peggy, regardless of how unrealistic that may seem.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
Old 01-27-2013, 10:53 PM   #790
Human Torch
Mandatory Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
Well whether it's believable or not, the movie clearly implied that was indeed the case, from the very thinly veiled "waiting for the right partner" metaphor that they kept running to the very end, to Steve being horrified at the very thought that Peggy might suspect him of having any kind of relations with another girl (when Natalie Dormer stole a kiss). In fact, I think his incredibly uncomfortable behavior during that whole scene, even before Peggy walked, in is evidence enough that Steve was still very much in virgin territory at that point. They wanted us to believe that Steve had eyes for no girl other than Peggy, regardless of how unrealistic that may seem.

This

Old 01-28-2013, 05:13 AM   #791
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Steve will definitely get some sort of a love interest; there's no way that Disney and Marvel will pass up on that chance; especially with every major male avenger having had some sort of a love interest already.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:07 AM   #792
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Who's Maggie....? You mean Peggy Carter....?

I totally agree with you. Virgin!Steve saving himself for Peggy is a sweet, romantic notion but it's very unrealistic. In the Star-Spangled Man montage, they made it clear that Steve got plenty of attention from beautiful young women and seemed (shyly) to respond. During that time he and Peggy were no more than professional acquaintances who hadn't even seen each other for months. There he was, a handsome, young man who had never been able to get women to pay attention to him before, suddenly surrounded by females who practically swooned in his presence. On top of that, Captain America and the Star-Spangled Dancers traveled to dozens of cities together, which gave him plenty of time to get to know some (or all) of them much better. Steve would have to have been either a saint, a eunuch or gay not to take advantage of his newfound opportunities during that long tour.

Steve's reaction to Private Lorraine's predatory advances came after he and Peggy had reunited at the front. With Peggy around constantly, Steve had realistic hopes of having a relationship with her, whereas before that hadn't been possible. Naturally, he didn't want to get entangled with any other woman then.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:57 AM   #793
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

If you're after realism, then there's no way that a white, not-all-that-educated kid from Brooklyn in the forties would have been cool with black or Asian people, or a German person, for that matter.

The thing about Steve is he isn't a real person and so he doesn't have to behave in a way realistic. He behave in accordance to the whims of the people writing him, so he can be very racially tolerant and he can be the chaste romantic type.

Besides, a big theme of the first movie is that Steve doesn't change after he becomes a big, strong man. So if skinny Steve is a dude who could never get any female attention -and this is something we learn from the man himself, as well as see for ourselves- and he proclaims he's waiting for the right partner, and he he goes from that to having sex with random women, that kind of defeats the message.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:05 AM   #794
~fox~

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMcGiveny View Post
If you're after realism, then there's no way that a white, not-all-that-educated kid from Brooklyn in the forties would have been cool with black or Asian people, or a German person, for that matter.
This statement is ignorant. My parents were in this category and never displayed any form of racism whatsoever. They even relocated to the South, where I grew up and they treated people of all colors with respect and kindness.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:22 AM   #795
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~fox~ View Post
This statement is ignorant. My parents were in this category and never displayed any form of racism whatsoever. They even relocated to the South, where I grew up and they treated people of all colors with respect and kindness.
I admit I was generalizing for effect, but you can't deny that wasn't the widespread sentiment at the time.

There were exceptions of course, as there are to any other predominant behavior. Such as people not having sex even though they can.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:34 AM   #796
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~fox~ View Post
Yeah, gotta admit I was a little shocked at that statement, Bull. That's a "WTF....???!"

And Steve definitely defies the racist stereotype you're creating anyway....just look at the makeup of the Howling Commandos. And even beyond that, comic-book Steve showed even more racial tolerance in the whole Isaiah Bradley saga, among others. Not sure why you even dragged race into a discussion about Steve's sexuality anyway, but whatever.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:58 AM   #797
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah, gotta admit I was a little shocked at that statement, Bull. That's a "WTF....???!"

And Steve definitely defies the racist stereotype you're creating anyway....just look at the makeup of the Howling Commandos. And even beyond that, comic-book Steve showed even more racial tolerance in the whole Isaiah Bradley saga, among others. Not sure why you even dragged race into a discussion about Steve's sexuality anyway, but whatever.
I think it came from him wanting Steve to be a bigoted, male chauvinist jerk from the 1940s, out of the assumption that everyone from that time period was a bigoted, male chauvinist jerk.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:06 AM   #798
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:

And Steve definitely defies the racist stereotype you're creating anyway....just look at the makeup of the Howling Commandos.

And even beyond that, comic-book Steve showed even more racial tolerance in the whole Isaiah Bradley saga, among others. Not sure why you even dragged race into a discussion about Steve's sexuality anyway, but whatever.
Yeah, I noticed. Which is why I pointed out those three categories; Asian, Black, and in reference to Erskine, German.

My point is that just as Steve would defy convention when it came to race relations, associating with non-white then it is just as possible that he chooses not to be sexually active.

Steve does what he chooses, even when the norm is that he does the opposite.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #799
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideymouse View Post
I think it came from him wanting Steve to be a bigoted, male chauvinist jerk from the 1940s, out of the assumption that everyone from that time period was a bigoted, male chauvinist jerk.
Yeah, that's exactly what I wanted.

I'm sorry, are you implying that in 1943, people weren't racist by modern standards? That there weren't segregated army units?

Old 01-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #800
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah, I noticed. Which is why I pointed out those three categories; Asian, Black, and in reference to Erskine, German.

My point is that just as Steve would defy convention when it came to race relations, associating with non-white then it is just as possible that he chooses not to be sexually active.

Steve does what he chooses, even when the norm is that he does the opposite.
The biggest aspect of his character that they focused on is that he identifies with the underdog, "the little guy," having been one himself. I think that translates well into his ability to relate to and respect women and people of color. Why would he act like a bully after having been bullied his whole life?

Quote:
Yeah, that's exactly what I wanted.

I'm sorry, are you implying that in 1943, people weren't racist by modern standards? That there weren't segregated army units?
I'm not implying that. I just implying that someone could have been not racist in 1943. I've previously made fun of the fact that Marvel re-wrote America's history in terms of segregation in that movie, but I don't think it's out of character or unrealistic for Steve Rogers to not have been racist by modern standards.

Last edited by spideymouse; 01-28-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Closed Thread