The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #651
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Par

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
As for it being too much like Spiderman or even Batman, I just don't think it is.
Orphaned heroes (either literal or figurative orphans) are quite common within the “monomyth.” Note Moses, Cinderella, Harry Potter, Luke Skywalker - as well as Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, et. al.

Though… it might be argued that since Supes underwent the tragedy once (with his biological parents) a repetition isn’t necessary.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #652
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Par

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
This is from a panel of the great 1973 story of silver age Superman's origin.

And even if Superman doesn't feel that way when it comes to his foster parents. It's still a big part of getting to the character in other conflicts and stories. People say Superman is boring because he is too powerful. Well guess what, even with all his powers he can't save everyone or everything, and that's a great way to show Superman overcome that, it's a part of what makes him tick.

And it's not so much about guilt (it sure wasn't in STM) but more about coming to that realization and making it a part of your character, it's a huge part of Superman's humbleness imo.
Exactly

It's about coming to terms with mortality, and yeah, when your a super powered being whose mortality is a little different, it may take some moping in Alaska to come to terms with the fact that people around you are going to slip through your fingers and you may end up alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
Orphaned heroes (either literal or figurative orphans) are quite common within the “monomyth.” Note Moses, Cinderella, Harry Potter, Luke Skywalker - as well as Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, et. al.

Though… it might be argued that since Supes underwent the tragedy once (with his biological parents) a repetition isn’t necessary.
Same could be argued with Spiderman, as his parents are already dead when Uncle Ben then dies. And with Harry Potter, since Sirius dies too.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 01-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #653
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by protocida View Post
Pushing himself beyond his limits to help innocents into a tornado shelter, saving others at the expense of his own life, is not heroic?
Yeah, yeah it's heroic.....still don't want some dumb tornado being the cause, but I digress.

What's wrong with having the both Kents live? As if he can't roam the earth feeling depressed, and become superman without having a death in the family.

Xbox- XKdaAssassin (me and my son's...so be mindful of language used. Thanks!)
Old 01-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #654
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Black View Post
Yeah, yeah it's heroic.....still don't want some dumb tornado being the cause, but I digress.
I'd much rather it be the tornado, or any natural human way of dying.

If he was killed by Zod/Faora or anything remotely alien related, then there is a reason for Clark to feel 'guilty' about it.

If he dies of something completely out of his hands, it causes him to feel helpless and frustrated, but it doesn't become 'all his fault'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Black View Post
What's wrong with having the both Kents live? As if he can't roam the earth feeling depressed, and become superman without having a death in the family.
I'd rather he was roaming the earth and feeling depressed because his father tragically died, than if he was doing it just because he was feeling a bit blue one day...

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 01-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #655
WoodyROM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
I'd much rather it be the tornado, or any natural human way of dying.

If he was killed by Zod/Faora or anything remotely alien related, then there is a reason for Clark to feel 'guilty' about it.

If he dies of something completely out of his hands, it causes him to feel helpless and frustrated, but it doesn't become 'all his fault'.

I'd rather he was roaming the earth and feeling depressed because his father tragically died, than if he was doing it just because he was feeling a bit blue one day...
Couldn't agree more

Old 01-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #656
Vagosnati
Vag-El

Maybe he will die from a heart attack like in e STM.But for sure he dies,cause in a scene we see clark hanging Ma Kent.Propably he is preparing or to go public or to go to fight the villains.If Pa lived he will be there to hag him also.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:05 PM   #657
STARMAN
Side-Kick

I want Jonathan to die. As a character, I feel like he loses his importance the older Clark gets. I thought the original Superman movie handled it well. There was one scene at the cemetery where you feel his pain but he doesn't whine about his father's death for the rest of the movie.

So have the tornado blow Jonathan away.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #658
Uroboric Forms
Your Move, Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagosnati View Post
Maybe he will die from a heart attack like in e STM.But for sure he dies,cause in a scene we see clark hanging Ma Kent.Propably he is preparing or to go public or to go to fight the villains.If Pa lived he will be there to hag him also.
I must have missed that one

Old 01-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #659
Kryptonian Warrior
We are Hunter Rider

Good grief, we need some news, pics, BTS video.....SOMETHING!!! Everyone's going mad!

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=230251
Old 01-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #660
Glassjaw
In training

The Star Trek issue of Empire states the next issue goes on sale 31st Jan, which means the reveal should be happening tomorrow? Fingers crossed its a MoS like many have stated/hoped, that'll take care of our need for new pics and details I should hope.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #661
Vagosnati
Vag-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uroboric Forms View Post
I must have missed that one
Sorry mate i ment hugging

Old 01-27-2013, 02:18 PM   #662
TheIrishAvenger
You are not special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonian Warrior View Post
Good grief, we need some news, pics, BTS video.....SOMETHING!!! Everyone's going mad!
Haha. We got a full new trailer a month ago and already you're hungry for more.

"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible, and we count these moments. Those moments when we dared to aim higher -- to break barriers, to reach for the stars. To make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that, and perhaps we've just forgotten. That we're still pioneers, that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us -- because our destiny lies above us."

INTERSTELLAR

Old 01-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #663
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Edit..

Last edited by LibidoLoca; 01-27-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #664
lixdexia
Blood Angels

that's disgusting

dictated, not read.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:48 PM   #665
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

I was aiming for a humorous southern drawl, but it does come off rather lewd, doesn't it. Edit away then...

Old 01-27-2013, 02:50 PM   #666
Simo
Side-Kick

I think tomorrow Empire might be revealing their cover for the next part of their 2013 preview covering the Superhero movies which will either be Iron Man 3 or Man of Steel taking center stage and cover.

It would be interesting if it was MOS as their last issue which was the "Sci Fi" movies of 2013 featured 2 Star Trek covers, it could mean MOS would get 2....like say one featuring Superman and the other Zod offering the first official reveal.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:55 PM   #667
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

It's probably going to be IM3 next.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #668
reimius

Hi, here in Spain we have a great Superman web and they maybe have revealed a great cameo in Man of Steel, like Henry says in the trailer, what do you think? I know it's in spanish but just look at the images... http://www.supermanjaviolivares.net/....html?spref=fb

Old 01-27-2013, 03:30 PM   #669
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by reimius View Post
Hi, here in Spain we have a great Superman web and they maybe have revealed a great cameo in Man of Steel, like Henry says in the trailer, what do you think? I know it's in spanish but just look at the images... http://www.supermanjaviolivares.net/....html?spref=fb
Erm what?

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 01-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #670
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Okay, just read a google translated version.

Quote:
What if I had seen the cameo of an actor of Superman in MAN OF STEEL ... And we had not noticed?

You know who said that Man of Steel will have the cameo of "classic Superman actor, dead or alive". Obviously this has triggered speculation from those who bet on the usual cameos (Noel Neill and Jack Larson), who believe that Annette O'Toole has built her voice in the trailer for the film, even the most dreamers who believe that would be the ultimate cameo by Christopher Reeve, and it's just a matter of finding an imaginative way to do it without that clash, but are not outdated, and without that will detract from who should have it, it is none other than Henry Cavill . I include myself among the latter.

But ... What if we already had that right under the noses cameo and we had not noticed? The idea has left me the friend Reni reviews in other news. Do you remember this video from shooting Man of Steel in Chicago and published in a post on September 14, 2011? Well, take a look back:

Do not you see anything unusual? See if this will catch something striking:

Neither?? Well, we will point directly to where we should look:

Perhaps you've been with your mouth open, as I do. But yes, indeed this man in a gray suit, brown leather briefcase, hat and I would say even with glasses, who walks into the scene (and that obviously is a plus), has exactly the same appearance as Christopher Reeve wore in Superman movies when I was like Clark Kent. Specifically, you only have to remember the beginning of Superman III, in which Chris was dressed exactly like during the opening credits. Look at this screenshot comparing:

No doubt it can be a coincidence, but ... Is not it strange that a man dressed as retro as you stroll by Metropolis XXI century? Okay you can leave a man in a suit and tie, but the detail of the cap, the portfolios and even the handkerchief in his pocket ... I see too coincidental to be coincidental. Could it be that the cameo is that Cavill is crossed with this "clone" of Clark Kent / Chris Reeve in his arrival in Metropolis? And if so, will it have any direct plane camera? Any sentence? Digitize? Christopher's face for greater blood straw? Or are we making us all crazy, and I the first?

I could not tell, but what is clear is that the resemblance is undeniable. And much doubt that Snyder has left a possible nod randomly like this.

You can discuss this news on the forum in Spanish Superman.
Actually seems pretty plausible...

*\S/T*

Last edited by hopefuldreamer; 01-27-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #671
reimius

I mean, they think it can be a quick funny reference of the classic Chris Reeve's Clark Kent costume, the suit, the hat...

Old 01-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #672
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I think he'll most likely just be in the back ground, but you do have to wonder if Clark sees him and gets an idea to wear some glasses

Old 01-27-2013, 05:06 PM   #673
SpideyFan866
Hero Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
I think he'll most likely just be in the back ground, but you do have to wonder if Clark sees him and gets an idea to wear some glasses
That's what I was thinking.

However, Clark's clothes on the set there match with the scene in the SDCC footage when he gets into the elevator at the Planet and puts on the glasses.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #674
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
That's what I was thinking.

However, Clark's clothes on the set there match with the scene in the SDCC footage when he gets into the elevator at the Planet and puts on the glasses.
Yeah so it's probably just a background character to pay homage to the past.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:50 PM   #675
SpideyFan866
Hero Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Yeah so it's probably just a background character to pay homage to the past.
Probably.

I doubt they will have any huge nods.

Closed Thread