The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Ant-Man > Ant-Man

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #126
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Default Re: The Official Ant-Man News and Speculation Thread

We all do except maybe Wright. Still stuck on doing his own thing, and then once he's told his little "To Steal an Ant-Man" pet project, and he has a franchise on his hands, he probably wants nothing more to do with it because his childhood dream has already been fulfilled.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:32 PM   #127
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

Do we know if Ant Man is gonna be Hank Pym or Scott Lang in the film?

Old 01-28-2013, 01:10 AM   #128
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Not yet. We are twiddling our thumbs.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #129
spideymouse
Side-Kick

I wonder how coordinated Whedon and Wright are willing and able to be. If Ant-Man does appear in Avengers 2 before Ant-Man, who is going to cast him? Shouldn't it be Wright's right as the solo film's director/writer/person working on the character for 9+ years? Or will Whedon cast whoever he wants for his own purposes, Ruffalo-style?

Speaking of which, who casted Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye? Marvel Studios executives? Joss Whedon? The fans? Certainly not Kenneth Branagh, right?

Old 01-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #130
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideymouse View Post
I wonder how coordinated Whedon and Wright are willing and able to be. If Ant-Man does appear in Avengers 2 before Ant-Man, who is going to cast him? Shouldn't it be Wright's right as the solo film's director/writer/person working on the character for 9+ years? Or will Whedon cast whoever he wants for his own purposes, Ruffalo-style?

Speaking of which, who casted Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye? Marvel Studios executives? Joss Whedon? The fans? Certainly not Kenneth Branagh, right?
Pretty sure Marvel cast Renner.

As for Ant-Man, I still believe that Wright's movie and the Avengers sequel will shoot close enough together to allow a crossover. I believe Ed will already be in high gear, if not actually shooting, and will have the principals already cast by the time Joss gets behind the camera for TA2.

So I believe Ant-Man and Wasp *do* stand a good chance of having at least a cameo in Avengers 2, and that they will be actors chosen/okayed by Wright.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 01-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #131
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Pretty sure Marvel cast Renner.
Thought so. Pretty interesting that Marvel is able to do that outside of any specific movie or director associated. Maybe they can do that with Carol Danvers?

Quote:
As for Ant-Man, I still believe that Wright's movie and the Avengers sequel will shoot close enough together to allow a crossover. I believe Ed will already be in high gear, if not actually shooting, and will have the principals already cast by the time Joss gets behind the camera for TA2.

So I believe Ant-Man and Wasp *do* stand a good chance of having at least a cameo in Avengers 2, and that they will be actors chosen/okayed by Wright.
Maybe Whedon and Wright will cast the Pyms together. And if Wright's still doing "To Steal an Ant-Man" for his movie, he still gets to cast his leading role in Scott Lang.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:04 AM   #132
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

He's going to have allot of angry Pym fans if he does

Old 01-31-2013, 04:33 AM   #133
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
He's going to have allot of angry Pym fans if he does
I will seriously consider skipping Ant-Man in theaters if it features Lang instead of Hank & Jan.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:37 AM   #134
VictorShade
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
I will seriously consider skipping Ant-Man in theaters if it features Lang instead of Hank & Jan.

Me too.

People whine that the Pyms are 2nd tier characters,.......LANG's A 4th or 5th TIER CHARACTER!!!!

Old 01-31-2013, 04:51 PM   #135
metaphysician
Side-Kick

You do realize that every Hank Pym fan in the world could boycott the movie, and it'd have no detectable effect on its success, right?

Old 01-31-2013, 05:17 PM   #136
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
You do realize that every Hank Pym fan in the world could boycott the movie, and it'd have no detectable effect on its success, right?
It's disingenuous at best to talk about Ant-Man fans, since Hank Pym hasn't had a real comic book since the early 1960s. (The much more recent Irredeemable Ant-Man miniseries was mildly successful, but it was about Eric O'Grady.) Instead, those of us who get riled up about this are actually AVENGER fans.

And there's a LOT of us.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 01-31-2013, 08:08 PM   #137
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
I don't give a **** whether it affect the movie's success or not. The choice of Lang affects my enjoyment of the film, and that's all that matters to me.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:18 PM   #138
DOOZlovesBOOZ
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't give a **** whether it affect the movie's success or not. The choice of Lang affects my enjoyment of the film, and that's all that matters to me.
Totally agree.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:43 PM   #139
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's disingenuous at best to talk about Ant-Man fans, since Hank Pym hasn't had a real comic book since the early 1960s. (The much more recent Irredeemable Ant-Man miniseries was mildly successful, but it was about Eric O'Grady.) Instead, those of us who get riled up about this are actually AVENGER fans.

And there's a LOT of us.
This.
Quote:
And this. I'll enjoy it as much as I enjoy Rachel Dawes in Batman Begins, where a lesser character (Dawes) took the place of what would have been a much stronger character (Harvey Dent) as the Assistant DA/childhood friend of Bruce Wayne. Wasted opportunity.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:00 PM   #140
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

When was the last time Scott Lang was actually mentioned by someone involved? I just can't see MS letting Wright gloss over Hank and Jan like that in favor of Lang. Feige is no dummy. He knows Avengers fans would be pissed.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 02-01-2013, 12:17 AM   #141
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
When was the last time Scott Lang was actually mentioned by someone involved? I just can't see MS letting Wright gloss over Hank and Jan like that in favor of Lang. Feige is no dummy. He knows Avengers fans would be pissed.
I do love Lang, and I think he's a great character to make a movie with. But not the first Ant-Man movie. Save him for the second, give Hank a break by all means.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:51 AM   #142
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
The comic book that Wright was holding at Comic-Con last year was the Ant-Man Marvel Premiere from 1979 that had the To Steal an Ant-Man storyline. He didn't talk about it, but it might as well have been a mention.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:26 AM   #143
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
But Feige did say it was the Edgar Wright show in a recent interview, and that it's purely because of him that this movie is getting made at all. "The Edgar Wright show" suggests that he's got a pitch for this movie ("To Steal an Antman") that Marvel like and are letting him go forward with it. It's not that Marvel wanted to make an Ant-Man movie and then sought a director for it (which it should have been).

So it would seem that Marvel are just letting Wright get on with his own project and not interfering too much, which is a shame, because Wright's vision just doesn't really fit in with the rest of the MCU as originally proposed, and Wright takes so damn long to get any work done on this.

It's fine if Wright wants to make that movie as a pet project, but if he wants to be part of the MCU and get all the benefits and momentum of the rest of the film universe, he needs to put it aside for the greater good. It's not like he can't ever make that film. He just should save it for a sequel. If he did, he could get two potentially successful films out of this franchise, not just one (which may be less successful anyway if it's not connected properly to the rest of the MCU).

Old 02-01-2013, 07:44 AM   #144
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Wright has said in the past that the fact Ant-Man is a lesser known chracters means he can be alot more free with it.

So far Marvel Studios has been very good at sticking somewhat close to the comics be it Ultimate or 616. I sure even with a lesser known property Marvel wouldn't want to alienate there fanbase.

All we know for certain is that in the past Wright has said Ant-Man will feature Lang and Pym.

Wright had production houses by lots of old 60s Ant-Man comics for the test reel and Wright also met with Stan Lee in the past to discuss Ant-Man.

We don't know if Wright still wants to go with Pym being a hero in the 1960s and Lang being his modern successor. We don't know if Janet will feature in Ant-Man at all.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:01 AM   #145
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
But Feige did say it was the Edgar Wright show in a recent interview, and that it's purely because of him that this movie is getting made at all. "The Edgar Wright show" suggests that he's got a pitch for this movie ("To Steal an Antman") that Marvel like and are letting him go forward with it. It's not that Marvel wanted to make an Ant-Man movie and then sought a director for it (which it should have been).

So it would seem that Marvel are just letting Wright get on with his own project and not interfering too much, which is a shame, because Wright's vision just doesn't really fit in with the rest of the MCU as originally proposed, and Wright takes so damn long to get any work done on this.

It's fine if Wright wants to make that movie as a pet project, but if he wants to be part of the MCU and get all the benefits and momentum of the rest of the film universe, he needs to put it aside for the greater good. It's not like he can't ever make that film. He just should save it for a sequel. If he did, he could get two potentially successful films out of this franchise, not just one (which may be less successful anyway if it's not connected properly to the rest of the MCU).
Does beg the question of whether the decision to release Ant-Man in Nov 2015 instead of a theoretically doable Nov 2014 was directly in order to have Whedon introduce Pym as Ant-Man and Wasp in Avengers 2 and allow for Wright to tell his Lang story afterwards...

...but with all the talk of Ant-Man being Edgar Wright's separate and unique thing, would introducing Ant-Man/Wasp before the solo film be stealing Wright's thunder? It's a unique situation in which you have this director working on this script for almost a decade, and 6 months before he's about to finally release it after 12 years, another director's vision for the character appears. Talk about "To Steal an Ant-Man"! Yoink!

Old 02-01-2013, 08:01 AM   #146
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Maybe Wright should combine elements of Pym and Lang for the movie. Perhaps Pym invented the Pym Particles (obviously, since it's named after him) and the ability to shrink or grow on behalf of an organisation. But maybe his employers create the suit (at least the aesthetic design of it) for their own operative. Then maybe Pym needs to steal the suit for his own purposes either to save someone or because he's being blackmailed (perhaps by a rival organisation like AIM). Then maybe along the way he meets Jan, who tries to stop him at first, but when she realises why he needs it, agrees to help him. Then once he acquires it, he turns on his blackmailers and becomes Ant-Man himself.

So it could feature Pym but still have the basic Lang story, but with the theft of the suit given to Pym instead of Lang. Technically, it would still be "To Steal an Ant-Man", but would allow Pym to still be the main character, have created the particles and would be stealing his own creation. It can still be an origin story that way (how Pym becomes Ant-Man) and also feature a miniaturised caper/ heist.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #147
SlamAdams
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
I see no problem in Marvel hearing out talented directors who have certain Marvel heroes they want to tackle.

Quote:
Isn't all just rumors so far. I've only heard Wright talk about the Amazing Shrinking Man as inspiration.

Quote:
I feel like you are putting a lot of responsibility on Wright's head as if he was Fox or Sony and had bought the project and just doing whatever the hell he feels like doing with it. Marvel greenlit it. Fiege has been one of his biggest cheerleaders. He practically signed off every interview "Yes, Wright's Antman is in play, and I'm excited."

Old 02-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #148
K'Prime
Beast mode

I trust MS and Wright to put out a good movie.hell i Don't even care for the wife beater much and I'm still looking forward to this movie

Old 02-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #149
Marathon
Side-Kick

Would Marvel REALLY let Lang become an MCU Avenger? I think that's an absurd thought, really.

Got to hang onto something to have hope.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:57 PM   #150
DyeLorean
Cinemaphonic Quadrovision

Ant Man WILL appear in Avengers 2*. Could be in the film, or in an after credits scene. I bet.
One of the most anticipated films, everyone is gonna go see Avengers 2, what better promotion for their next film?

*Not actual news

Closed Thread