The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 04:37 PM   #476
LokiDionysos
Eternal

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizah72 View Post
Am I correct in thinking that if The Other is in fact Chthon, as others (including you I think) has proposed, that he does have those powers? I actually am thinking the "madness" that Loki is exhibiting, could be The Other tormenting him (psychically), as his punishment, in which case Thanos wouldn't need to physically get a hold of him, if that is the case.
This is basically what I'm thinking happens with the whole Other/Thanos punishing him situation. Although I also like Cherokeesam's take on why the spaceship is crashing into the palace.

I think the Other's influence is a little more subtle and he can sort of visit Loki in whichever realm he's in and drag part of him onto an astral plane. But can only do this for certain characters and wouldn't be directly involved in being able to possess people. So, physically Loki would still be in prison, and we'd see The Other sort of pop into his head. There'd be a vision of him on some sort of plane out in space with him talking to The Other. Explaining some of how Thanos can't visit him directly to punish him.

After they have their scene out in space like that in Avengers it looked like it hurt Loki's head slightly; when The Other was threatening him and saying they could find him anywhere. So, in a way, the Other might be tormenting him mentally because he can't get at him physically yet, attacking him from inside his head first. There was no place he could hide because The Other could always access Loki's mind after the first time, find out where he was. So, eventually they might find a way to get at him. It might have been tormenting him mentally for the past year.

Last edited by LokiDionysos; 01-28-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #477
elizah72
Side-Kick

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - Part 7

and actually, this makes A LOT of sense that something is tormenting Loki (whether it be The Other or Hela or something else), and then it stops. Because if he's acting all crazy in prison, as the Italian footage seems to indicate (as well as this recent report), then what good is he to Thor for whatever mission or trip he has to take him on? He's too crazy and too much of a problem to keep under control, and not endangering people (such as Jane). If, however he's being tormented by something, and then he's not, then that would make sense why he's okay enough later to work with Thor and go on that voyage (if the Lawden spoilers are all correct, and at the moment it's looking like they are). Another thing that points to this torment, rather than insanity, is that he is so calm and goes along so easily with Thor at the end of Avengers. So, it makes a lot of sense that The Other could very well be psychically attacking him as punishment for his failure, and again in this case, they don't really need physical custody of him.

ANother question, again if this is Chthon, then how much of a match is he for Odin? because one thought I had is if it's revealed Loki's being attacked by something like this, then Odin may decide to go and handle it himself, and possibly that could be what ties him up a bit during the film (as opposed to Odinsleep). Not sure even with a well planned trap that The Other would be much of a match for Odin though, but just a thought I had.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #478
LokiDionysos
Eternal

Yeah I think the torment from within would start to take a major toll on him physically and he almost learns his lesson because he does get a little physically hurt each time the Other invades his mind. So it could be suggested the Other is sort of like an even worse form of punishment and like the serpent dripping poison in his eye. Which could be why they included the serpent in the background during his scene with the Other, in The Avengers. The Other would be almost a worse punishment on Loki's mind and body than what Odin actually went with. But the Other could almost be taunting him because he's locked up and being punished, similar to what they wanted, just trapped by a different person for now. Almost gets too overconfident and tells him some of Thanos's plans, but warns him of Malekith and Surtur.

I don't think he would really be a match for Odin, although I don't know too much about him. if Odin knew about it I think he might try to do something. I think this being was powerful at one point a very long time ago as an Elder God but devolved into his demonic form over time. In the comics he and Set are banished from existence entirely and sent to a realm completely of their own that exists outside time and space. So in my view I think Chthon has to work through people and exists in some sort of astral realm outside time and space. That's why he could just pop into Loki's head in Avengers from wherever he was, and when he talks to Thanos it's on a similar plane that seems to be floating in space. The whole Set being banished from existence is where I came up with my theory of Surtur being banished from existence a very long time ago. And that in some ways Chthon is linked to Surtur as far back as the dawn of time.

Last edited by LokiDionysos; 01-28-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #479
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokiDionysos View Post
Yeah I think the torment from within would start to take a major toll on him physically and he almost learns his lesson because he does get a little physically hurt each time the Other invades his mind. So it could be suggested the Other is sort of like an even worse form of punishment and like the serpent dripping poison in his eye. Which could be why they included the serpent in the background during his scene with the Other, in The Avengers. The Other would be almost a worse punishment on Loki's mind and body than what Odin actually went with. But the Other could almost be taunting him because he's locked up and being punished, similar to what they wanted, just trapped by a different person for now. Almost gets too overconfident and tells him some of Thanos's plans, but warns him of Malekith and Surtur.

I don't think he would really be a match for Odin, although I don't know too much about him. if Odin knew about it I think he might try to do something. I think this being was powerful at one point a very long time ago as an Elder God but devolved into his demonic form over time. In the comics he and Set are banished from existence entirely and sent to a realm completely of their own that exists outside time and space. So in my view I think Chthon has to work through people and exists in some sort of astral realm outside time and space. That's why he could just pop into Loki's head in Avengers from wherever he was, and when he talks to Thanos it's on a similar plane that seems to be floating in space. The whole Set being banished from existence is where I came up with my theory of Surtur being banished from existence a very long time ago. And that in some ways Chthon is linked to Surtur as far back as the dawn of time.
If the Other was in some realm locked outside of time and space, then that would mean Thanos was too ............ which is obviously not the case, especially with the threat The Other made to Loki if he failed them.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #480
LokiDionysos
Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
If the Other was in some realm locked outside of time and space, then that would mean Thanos was too ............ which is obviously not the case, especially with the threat The Other made to Loki if he failed them.
Basically Thanos or any other character who has psionic power/telepathy, or some forms of dark magic could be met with on an astral plane or communicated with by this being. Which could end up bringing Strange into it a little more, and connecting him to things further down the road.

So Thanos wasn't actually sitting on a platform in space and it was more like a metaphoric representation of the meeting going on within minds on the astral plane, which would only be made known in the dark world. That could be why there's that serpent in the background floating around in space when we see him threatening Loki. Part of that might have been brought in from Loki's mind, meaning there wasn't actually a serpent there in the background and they weren't actually in space. Not necessary locked there, but he dragged part of their mind outside of time and space. And doing so causes a little physical harm to Loki. he's not willingly meeting with the force as much as Thanos is, so Thanos is presented on his throne representing parts of the meeting between their minds and the position each holds.

Thanos has displayed some telepathic/psionic abilities before, most notably before his death. But here it would be The Other doing the hard work and dragging him into the astral plane so he can speak with both Loki and Thanos. Even though they're worlds apart.

Thanos is very far away from Earth, even his forces had to be brought in via wormhole. So we're left with the problem that The Other can be influencing things in two locations, separated by a lot of distance. He never physically visits Loki on the Earth. Similarly he might not have physically visited Thanos in outer space. So Thanos is somewhere out there closer to where the Guardians are. But the Other might have traveled a long distance, instantly, to meet Thanos within his mind.

Last edited by LokiDionysos; 01-28-2013 at 06:15 PM. Reason: to add
Old 01-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #481
elizah72
Side-Kick

I'll have to look again but I would have sworn the serpent in that scene was actually just one of the Chitauri Leviathans, so that would mean the Chitauri were, wherever they were. Honestly I think that Loki was the only one visiting outside his body in that scene.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #482
LokiDionysos
Eternal

Quote:
I'll have to look again but I would have sworn the serpent in that scene was actually just one of the Chitauri Leviathans, so that would mean the Chitauri were, wherever they were. Honestly I think that Loki was the only one visiting outside his body in that scene.
It could be but for some reason I think it looked different. Could just be the lighting, you might be right.

Even still it's been shown the thing doesn't need to be physically present to meet with Loki somewhere. When Loki prepares to speak with the other I think that's interesting too, it's almost like he's focusing. But to be fair it could just be Loki doing a dimension hop.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #483
elizah72
Side-Kick

well my thinking is Odin or the Asgardians would have bound his powers somehow so he'd basically be a sitting duck for such an attack from The Other or whoever. Helpless.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #484
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Yeah, I believe Thanos' throne was physically real enough. It's just that Loki was projecting astrally there. It's even possible that the psionic attack The Other/Chthon used on him actually kicked his soul/spirit back to Midgard in that scene.

And yes, I think Odin would be a sitting duck against Chthon. I am now fairly convinced that the uberpowered entity from the dawn of time or whatever is none other than, well, THE Other, who is, as his name implies, the (current) physical vessel of Chthon himself.

Chthon and Thanos together.....holy jeez. That *is* a terrifying thought. These guys could make the whole Infinity War series look like a walk in the park.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 01-28-2013, 07:51 PM   #485
samsnee
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

So are we getting a Superbowl ad?

Old 01-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #486
elizah72
Side-Kick

I've only seen confirmation of a IM3 ad so far ,unfortunately.

thanks for the answer cherokeesam.

and I see that Chthon can possess people, which makes me wonder if he could be the dark spirit associated with the Dark Elves possessing Jane (at some point, according to Lawden) if he's working with Malekith towards something for Thanos, possibly... (it's yet another option for that, anyway), so he could go from tormenting Loki to Jane, or from tormenting Loki, messing with Odin when Odin tries to stop him from torturing Loki, to possessing Jane (maybe more subtly at that point to spy for Thanos this way). I do think if that's him he'll be significantly less powerful than he is in the comics though, it doesn't make sense that a guy like that would be Thanos' lacky the way he was in Avengers, otherwise. (no pun intended lol)

Last edited by elizah72; 01-28-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #487
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

I'm loving you guys piecing together the story line with The Other being the "entity from the dawn of time" and linking everything together. Even if Thanos isn't physically seen in the movie, his presence will be felt and known to both the movie characters and movie watchers. The whole Loki being toyed with while locked up and the reverting back to normal to help is all great!! I'd love to see the film pan out like that!

Old 01-28-2013, 09:08 PM   #488
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

I'm also enjoying everyone being on the same page! haha nice to have a little community peace going on.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #489
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokiDionysos View Post
Basically Thanos or any other character who has psionic power/telepathy, or some forms of dark magic could be met with on an astral plane or communicated with by this being. Which could end up bringing Strange into it a little more, and connecting him to things further down the road.

So Thanos wasn't actually sitting on a platform in space and it was more like a metaphoric representation of the meeting going on within minds on the astral plane, which would only be made known in the dark world. That could be why there's that serpent in the background floating around in space when we see him threatening Loki. Part of that might have been brought in from Loki's mind, meaning there wasn't actually a serpent there in the background and they weren't actually in space. Not necessary locked there, but he dragged part of their mind outside of time and space. And doing so causes a little physical harm to Loki. he's not willingly meeting with the force as much as Thanos is, so Thanos is presented on his throne representing parts of the meeting between their minds and the position each holds.

Thanos has displayed some telepathic/psionic abilities before, most notably before his death. But here it would be The Other doing the hard work and dragging him into the astral plane so he can speak with both Loki and Thanos. Even though they're worlds apart.

Thanos is very far away from Earth, even his forces had to be brought in via wormhole. So we're left with the problem that The Other can be influencing things in two locations, separated by a lot of distance. He never physically visits Loki on the Earth. Similarly he might not have physically visited Thanos in outer space. So Thanos is somewhere out there closer to where the Guardians are. But the Other might have traveled a long distance, instantly, to meet Thanos within his mind.
Can you please stop making crap up.

Thanos was physically there. There's nothing in the movie to say otherwise.

Quote:
Yes, it was one of the Chitauri Leviathans.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:38 PM   #490
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Yeah, could very well just be a disorganized revolt/banditry as a result of chaos in Asgard following the events of Thor (Bifrost destroyed, a war with the Jotuns which may or may not still be escalating, Loki's machinations, Odin refusing to abdicate to Thor, etc.)

Keep in mind that Thanos obviously doesn't have the world-tripping powers that Loki does....that's why he needed Loki to get to the Tesseract in Avengers. So it might not be a simple matter to just bounce over to Asgard whenever he feels like it. And without Bifrost operational, it's possible that this also means Asgard is *completely* cut off from the rest of the universe.

But more to the point, what I've always argued is that Thanos has been misdirecting Loki (and now Odin) all along. I think he *wanted* Loki to fail in Avengers so that the Tesseract would be maneuvered into place in Asgard. From there, he could stage a false-flag attack with a bunch of expendables (insert Stallone joke here) against Asgard; and, while Odin and Thor are distracted in that battle, his *true* purpose becomes apparent when he drops in to the Treasury (spaceship crash scene....?) to steal the Gauntlet --- the thing he was after all along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Can you please stop making crap up.

Thanos was physically there. There's nothing in the movie to say otherwise.

Yes, it was one of the Chitauri Leviathans.
cut him some slack, he's not making anything UP, he's just speculating on what he thinks *could* be the case. It's sort of a "if this happens, then this is what I think would happen", he's just typing without the "if" part.

Personally, I think Thanos was there physically, and that realm was there physically, I think that scene showed that The Other can mentally get to Loki though, that's what I took from.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:19 PM   #491
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
I've only seen confirmation of a IM3 ad so far ,unfortunately.

thanks for the answer cherokeesam.

and I see that Chthon can possess people, which makes me wonder if he could be the dark spirit associated with the Dark Elves possessing Jane (at some point, according to Lawden) if he's working with Malekith towards something for Thanos, possibly... (it's yet another option for that, anyway), so he could go from tormenting Loki to Jane, or from tormenting Loki, messing with Odin when Odin tries to stop him from torturing Loki, to possessing Jane (maybe more subtly at that point to spy for Thanos this way). I do think if that's him he'll be significantly less powerful than he is in the comics though, it doesn't make sense that a guy like that would be Thanos' lacky the way he was in Avengers, otherwise. (no pun intended lol)
Honestly, I don't get the feeling that The Other regards himself as a lackey to Thanos. *Thanos* might view their relationship that way, but The Other seems to regard this as a partnership, or even friendship. It's telling that he says "OUR ally, OUR force, OUR Chitauri," "you question US?!?", "WE look beyond the Earth," "if the Tesseract is kept from US"....which indicates a certain level of equality there.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 01-28-2013, 10:42 PM   #492
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Honestly, I don't get the feeling that The Other regards himself as a lackey to Thanos. *Thanos* might view their relationship that way, but The Other seems to regard this as a partnership, or even friendship. It's telling that he says "OUR ally, OUR force, OUR Chitauri," "you question US?!?", "WE look beyond the Earth," "if the Tesseract is kept from US"....which indicates a certain level of equality there.
That's how I actually see it to. He knows what Thanos strives for, maybe befriending Thanos can help him get what *he* is striving for, or maybe it's a similar goal, and Thanos is jsut the one who is capable of it, but he needs The Other's help. I think that he sees himself as an equal, but he knows what thanos wants, and how he views, therefor he bows before him, and acts as a subordinate when need be, to strengthen their alliance, thus making their teamwork easier and better. But at the moment, I wouldn't say that there will be any backstabbing yet, not enough is known.

I personally feel like it's going to turn into an "out of hand" situation. They both have a similar goal, the power thanos wields with the IG becomes more than either of them fiigured it would (maybe not thanos) and in turn, he almost destroys then universe. Maybe not that big of scale, but I feel like even though they may be even right now in terms of their alliance, i I think it will stray moreso towards Thanos cause he is more known than whoever this guy is, even if it's Chthon

Old 01-28-2013, 10:43 PM   #493
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

So do we think there will be any thor footage during the super bowl?

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 7.5/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10, Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10
Old 01-28-2013, 11:09 PM   #494
darkslayer101
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimod0 View Post
95% sure its not gonna happen becuz IM3 is getting 60s and 30s spots

Old 01-28-2013, 11:23 PM   #495
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

^ which sucks

Old 01-29-2013, 01:15 AM   #496
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
almost positive he said 40 pound costume, not necessariliy armor, didn't he? If he DID, then it can certainly still be a costume. And the way he described Kurse as anamalistic, and he said "kurse has horns", and that he referred to him as "this big creature", to me, that sounds like he is describing a physical makeup, hopefully I am wrong though, and hopefully it is all armor, that's just how it sounded to me, based on how he worded it
*Ahem* check out the first sentence in bold.

Quote:
AAA Interview...
http://www.dailyblam.com/news/2013/0...-bullet-to-the

"He’s different from other villains because Algrim was at a time once more human..Obviously later on the weight of the character with all this armor that he wears and his strength sets him apart from the rest."

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*

Last edited by BigThor; 01-29-2013 at 01:18 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:38 AM   #497
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
*Ahem* check out the first sentence in bold.
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

never have I been so happy to be wrong.

that's actually great, i can't believe I missed that

Old 01-29-2013, 07:41 AM   #498
elizah72
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkilban2 View Post
I'm loving you guys piecing together the story line with The Other being the "entity from the dawn of time" and linking everything together. Even if Thanos isn't physically seen in the movie, his presence will be felt and known to both the movie characters and movie watchers. The whole Loki being toyed with while locked up and the reverting back to normal to help is all great!! I'd love to see the film pan out like that!
me too!

Quote:
I'm also enjoying everyone being on the same page! haha nice to have a little community peace going on.

Quote:
I get more of a monster-man crush vibe that he has on Thanos, like maybe Thanos' picture is taped to the ceiling above his bed, so he can look at it before he falls asleep at night. I do hope they make some changes/maybe even change the actor, I thought he was really pretty well hamming it up there. Over the top, and not really that scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimod0 View Post
not looking like it. Hopefully some more official pictures will come in the next couple months.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:57 AM   #499
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Do you guys think Dr. Strange now being confirmed for Phase 3 means the rumor of him being in Thor:TDW could possibly be true? I'd love it if true, even in just some minor role, but then again I doubt they cast him 3 years prior to movie release haha.
where is the news of this?

Old 01-29-2013, 08:02 AM   #500
elizah72
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
where is the news of this?

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2013/01/25...trange-marvel/

Closed Thread