The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man

Old 01-29-2013, 07:06 AM   #276
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?

Default Re: The Web Fluid: Stolen, or bought? Oscorp, or not?

the only thing we know for sure know is that Peter bought a package of the containers. I really don't buy that he has the money to keep ordering them

I really want them to show Peter doing it from scratch in the sequel.

TheWallCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:16 PM   #277
Radiator
New User - Level 0

There is definitely a problem here. Tbh, this question is the reason I found this Forum; after watching the scene where he sees the promotional video then suddenly had a box of bio-cable cartridges I asked all these questions to myself. No answer is self evident, he is too poor to be ordering cutting edge, state of the art industrial materials, I think the estimated prices given here are WAY too small. The idea he stole it is a possible explanation, but given the levels of security it at least demands a scene to show this. The most plausible explanation I think is that Gwen or Dr Connors let him have some,given their level of clearance and friendship with Peter. He probably just needed to give them some guff about how much he LOVES science
This still leaves us with the bigger problem; how does he continue to produce the web fluid?
A) he continues to buy/steal from Oscorp; obvious problems concerning expense, traceability etc.
B) he starts his own radioactive spider farm in Aunt May's attic. Serious start up and running difficulties here.
C) he secretes the organic component from his own body. Not implausible given all his spider DNA, but we are wandering dangerously close to the Raimi heresy here. Of course it doesn't need to come conveniently from the wrists as he is loading the finished products into shooters. Maybe Gwen Stacy will help him produce an inexhaustible supply

Building 'from scratch' is what should happen, however now that Webb has gone down the organic route it will be difficult to justify Peter somehow producing an inorganic version using his Salter Junior Chemistry Kit where the whole of Oscorp has failed, even with the McGuffin of 'Decay Rate Algorythym'. After all, that was for organic materials too. He would need to go down the route of B) or C) to maintain any kind of plausibility.

I'm guessing A) as Webb seems to love plot-lines around Oscorp, that's if he even feels the need to address the issue.....

Last edited by Radiator; 07-20-2013 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Clarify point
Radiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #278
CyclopsWasRight
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

I assumed he bought them from Oscorp

CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #279
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

He bought the stuff from Oscorp. It will take a while for him to use all that up. He had, what, 40 canisters? If each one holds 1000 meters of the stuff, then it should take a while for him to use. Also, at some points in the movie, he was able to retract the web back into the shooter, thus allowing him to save it even more. Also, the fluid/line itself was taken from Oscorp, but without the spinneret he invented, it would only have been some sort of line or cable, not a webbing shape.

Wadaltmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #280
TheLastBlade
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiator View Post
There is definitely a problem here. Tbh, this question is the reason I found this Forum; after watching the scene where he sees the promotional video then suddenly had a box of bio-cable cartridges I asked all these questions to myself. No answer is self evident, he is too poor to be ordering cutting edge, state of the art industrial materials, I think the estimated prices given here are WAY too small. The idea he stole it is a possible explanation, but given the levels of security it at least demands a scene to show this. The most plausible explanation I think is that Gwen or Dr Connors let him have some,given their level of clearance and friendship with Peter. He probably just needed to give them some guff about how much he LOVES science
This still leaves us with the bigger problem; how does he continue to produce the web fluid?
A) he continues to buy/steal from Oscorp; obvious problems concerning expense, traceability etc.
B) he starts his own radioactive spider farm in Aunt May's attic. Serious start up and running difficulties here.
C) he secretes the organic component from his own body. Not implausible given all his spider DNA, but we are wandering dangerously close to the Raimi heresy here. Of course it doesn't need to come conveniently from the wrists as he is loading the finished products into shooters. Maybe Gwen Stacy will help him produce an inexhaustible supply

Building 'from scratch' is what should happen, however now that Webb has gone down the organic route it will be difficult to justify Peter somehow producing an inorganic version using his Salter Junior Chemistry Kit where the whole of Oscorp has failed, even with the McGuffin of 'Decay Rate Algorythym'. After all, that was for organic materials too. He would need to go down the route of B) or C) to maintain any kind of plausibility.

I'm guessing A) as Webb seems to love plot-lines around Oscorp, that's if he even feels the need to address the issue.....
Well, there were time skips. And the movie didn't exactly tell us if Peter was THAT poor or how much is costs. I wouldn't put Peter not affording milk against him. We dont even know if he gets an allowance or not.

TheLastBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #281
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Didn't Auny May and Peter really suffer financially after Ben's death? That was one less person bringing in some income, so I'm sure that hurt them a lot. We don't know how much a box of webbing could really cost. I'm sure he has some kind of an allowance that he was saving (I doubt he blows his money as much as other kids his age).

Anyways, I think now that Peter has obtained the webbing cartridges, he can find a way to create the webbing from scratch. TASM2 is 9 months later, so he can analyze the webbing and somehow find the formula. OR he can find the formula for the webbing in his dad's notes (since he did breed the spiders).

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:57 PM   #282
TheLastBlade
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
Didn't Auny May and Peter really suffer financially after Ben's death? That was one less person bringing in some income, so I'm sure that hurt them a lot. We don't know how much a box of webbing could really cost. I'm sure he has some kind of an allowance that he was saving (I doubt he blows his money as much as other kids his age).

Anyways, I think now that Peter has obtained the webbing cartridges, he can find a way to create the webbing from scratch. TASM2 is 9 months later, so he can analyze the webbing and somehow find the formula. OR he can find the formula for the webbing in his dad's notes (since he did breed the spiders).
Again, the movie didn't really tell us that :P

TheLastBlade is offline   Reply With Quote