The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Old 05-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #276
SymbioticToxin
Dominus of Megadeus

Default Re: Anime that would make great film adaptations

I don't it needs a trilogy, just 2 movies is enough. And yeah, things would have to be removed or compressed, but as along as they make the point that it's A) Not on earth and B) It's a revenge story, I'm okay. Especially with Point B. The show had no real romance plot or anything, it was a man going through the motions of getting his wifes killer and trying to not lose himself like Ray. Hollywood would try to make that a second thing to a romance plot. Stupid Hollywood.

SymbioticToxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:02 PM   #277
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
Death Note
Monster

Not much more tbh, I bet the extreme stuff like Bleach and Fairy Tail won't work
Bleach, Naruto, Hunter x Hunter and other shonen could work as they consist of story arcs that have a begining a middle and an end, but take much time so that they end up cinsisting of like 1/5 of the entire manga and can be worked very well if done right.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #278
M0n0R@y

Yes, some anime should be live action. But sometimes it's a bad idea, for example, Death Note already has 2 live action movies, but it's in japanese (which I don't mind reading the subtitles), both of those movies are alright but hollywood made rumors on making they're own live action Death Note, and this started after the "Dragon Ball Movie", a movie that disappointed many fans and myself. So when the rumor came out, western fans arn't even mentioning it, I'm embarrassed to even think if its going to be a good movie. I'm not saying all anime live action sucks. There are those anime's that are better in japanese and there are those that are better in english.

M0n0R@y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #279
Blackman
C'mon Son

Storywise Full Metal Panic could work. The first and second series could be adapted into 4 movies easily.

But they would probably try and move the setting to America, which I dont think will work very well

Blackman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #280
Lord
All Mighty

I recently started to watch Full Metal Alchemist and i think it would probably work better as a live-action tv show instead of a movie, with Naruto and Bleach you can separate the arcs into movies, however FMA has a single arc with a lot of stories in between, and all of them are quite interesting.

Make the main character a little older and i think you have a potencial hit on CW.

Naruto and Bleach have the potencial but they would have to mainly cast asian actors or in least half-asian actors (Ichigo, Chad and Orihime allways seemed to be half-japanese and that along with their hair color has been the focus of some of the flashbacks) and to tell the full story they would need in least 5 films.

In fact, i can't think of an anime/ manga that wouldn't need more than 1 film to be adapted

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 11-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #281
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by topnotch View Post
My cousin that is a film major at UCLA said that they had a discussion on anime adaptations. The conclusion of the discussion is:

Films The Class Would Make:
Gundam
Rurouni Kenshin
Twilight Q
Vexille
Outlaw Star
Origin Spirits Of The Past
Shadow Skill
Heat Guy J
MPD Psycho
Ice Blade
Death Note
Ghost In The Shell
Goglo 13
Heat
Blood+
Cowboy Bebop
Area 88
Monster
Wicked City
Sci Fi Hary
Hell Girl
Gungrave
Elfen Lied
One Piece
School Zone
X
Read Or Die
Afro Samurai

Films They Wouldn't Make:
Naruto
Gantz
The Big O
Speed Racer
Full Metal Alchemist
Baki the Grappler
Dragon Ball
Inuyuasha
Code Geass
Hellsing
Astro Boy
Samurai 7
Yu Gi Oh
Fooley Cooly
YuYu Hakusho
Trinity Blood
Trigun
Street Fighter
I know this coment is old but it's strange how they though One Piece would work better than Naruto and Dragon Ball, OP may be better but Naruto and DB have a shorter story and less story arcs. Only the first half of OP would need in least 5 films, and that's already difficult. And the problem is that after one film you automatically have to make more since the "One Piece" from which the film is titled is only discovered by the end of the story which may be in film 10 or 11.

With Naruto the first film can simply be a one-shot adapting the Zabuza arc, if it's successful they can go on, but i assure everybody that a Trilogy isn't enough to adapt this or any other long manga, Dragon Ball would be even easier, the techniques learned are progressive instead of most new fight shonens where by the 5th episode the characters know some 10 different techniques with forgetable names.

Dragon Ball is simple, the first film can start as a quest with nice visuals where you can apreciate te road to the DB ball like in the first arc, after that you can go to Picollo, the red Ribbon, the sayans and then finally end things with Freeza. Unlike Naruto and One Piece the plot's very straightforward but keeps having nice ideas.

Shonen fighting mangas can make epic franchises, but that is if the studios don't do dumb changes and respect the source material.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #282
CFE
This is a job for...

Gundam, by FAR.

Between it's sense of scope and emotion as a Japanese answer to "Star Wars" and the advances in visual effects made with the "Transformers" films and such, it would work so incredibly well if executed properly.

And while I both understand and even agree to a point with it being an original tale, part of me would be really jazzed if it were a live action adaptation of the original series...set in UC 0079 with a live action Amuro Ray, Char Aznable, Gundam, White Base, the works.

Chas Blankenship's "BAT-MANIA - The Exhibition Blog" -- Chas Blankenship's "SUPER-MANIA - The Exhibition Blog" - Coming Soon
CFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #283
Lord
All Mighty

Maybe i already posted this but here's a survey done in Japan about the top 10 anime/ manga properties they would like to see as films:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...or-live-action

Slam Dunk is number one, One Piece is in 2nd, Fullmetal Alchemist is in the 9th place and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is number 10.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #284
raysavaya
New User - Level 0

What do you think of this DRAGONBALL film adaptation?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZVQeK7_zVo

-Ray

raysavaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #285
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakzap425 View Post
Of course not. Because these series are not geared toward people over the age of 14. These shows are acutally meant for children. But that doesn't mean there won't be older teens and adults that wouldn't get anything out of them. If that were the case, anime wouldn't be so ****ing popular, now would it?!
If marketed correctly, and the right storylines, Naruto, DBZ, and Inuyasha could be very successful.

I seriously want a statistic of the ages of people who watch the supposed "childrens" anime programs. I'm pretty sure mostly adults watch them
They're Shonens, shonens are geared towards teens and young adults

Old 01-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #286
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post

Huhm, isn't Inuyasha completelly set in Japan with completelly Japanese characters and mythos? White washing it would be a bad idea
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFE View Post
Gundam, by FAR.

Between it's sense of scope and emotion as a Japanese answer to "Star Wars" and the advances in visual effects made with the "Transformers" films and such, it would work so incredibly well if executed properly.

And while I both understand and even agree to a point with it being an original tale, part of me would be really jazzed if it were a live action adaptation of the original series...set in UC 0079 with a live action Amuro Ray, Char Aznable, Gundam, White Base, the works.
Never watched Gundam but it seems more like Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica than SW, while it's not trully science fiction i think One Piece is their answer to Star Wars, from it's originality to the way it uses extablished elements of Manga/ anime.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #287
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann would make a great film franchise IMO. I will go as far as to say that it has the potential to become as big as LOTR and the original Star Wars trilogy if done right. The only problem other than adapting it well are the special effects. That last fight scene in particular cannot look good on the big screen today. However, I would love to see it get done in 10 to 20 years from now. If done properly, the special effects of that last fight can be on par with Avatar's or even better.

The anime is also short (just 27 episodes long) and has a very epic in scale film feel that I can't describe (if you watched it, you know what I mean). Most of the soundtrack would also translate to film perfectly with very little to no editing. Some of the OST literally sounds like it was pulled straight out of a big budget Hollywood movie. As for story wise, I think it has the potential to blow the mass audience away.

Other animes and mangas I can picture being adapted well into live-action are Gundam (which many of you have already brought up), Fullmetal Alchemist, Darker than Black, Full Metal Panic, Afro Samurai, Cowboy Bebop, Hellsing, and that's all I can think of off the top of my head. At least all I can think of out of the animes I would like to see get adapted in live-action. There are also some animes that I think do work in live-action but would bring nothing interesting even if adapted.

Stuff like Dragon Ball, One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, and Fairy Tail should never be turned into live-action. They simply can't be adapted mainly due to their nature and length.

Last edited by Shikamaru; 01-25-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:59 AM   #288
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann would make a great film franchise IMO. I will go as far as to say that it has the potential to become as big as LOTR and the original Star Wars trilogy if done right. The only problem other than adapting it well are the special effects. That last fight scene in particular cannot look good on the big screen today. However, I would love to see it get done in 10 to 20 years from now. If done properly, the special effects of that last fight can be on par with Avatar's or even better.

The anime is also short (just 27 episodes long) and has a very epic in scale film feel that I can't describe (if you watched it, you know what I mean). Most of the soundtrack would also translate to film perfectly with very little to no editing. Some of the OST literally sounds like it was pulled straight out of a big budget Hollywood movie. As for story wise, I think it has the potential to blow the mass audience away.

Other animes and mangas I can picture being adapted well into live-action are Gundam (which many of you have already brought up), Fullmetal Alchemist, Darker than Black, Full Metal Panic, Afro Samurai, Cowboy Bebop, Hellsing, and that's all I can think of off the top of my head. At least all I can think of out of the animes I would like to see get adapted in live-action. There are also some animes that I think do work in live-action but would bring nothing interesting even if adapted.

Stuff like Dragon Ball, One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, and Fairy Tail should never be turned into live-action. They simply can't be adapted mainly due to their nature and length.
I disagree about those, all three of them can start with a one-shot film that's not asking for a sequel, and have the potencial to be big films. One Piece, while it's certainly the best shonen right now and has an amazing story would only be possible if a lot of money was put into it's production, the people behind it were huge fans, and they had vizionary creative minds behind it.

I don't see that happening anytime, casting the OP characters wouldn't be as difficult though, since the only main character that should be cast as japanese is Zoro, as stated by Oda Luffy would be brazilian.

DB could be a road movie on that incredible universe where a young boy discovers the world for the first time, Naruto can start with Zabuza arc, and Bleach could adapt until the end of gran fisher. WOuldn't adapt Fairy Tail, it doesn't bring anything new the other animes already do

Old 01-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #289
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
I disagree about those, all three of them can start with a one-shot film that's not asking for a sequel, and have the potencial to be big films. One Piece, while it's certainly the best shonen right now and has an amazing story would only be possible if a lot of money was put into it's production, the people behind it were huge fans, and they had vizionary creative minds behind it.

I don't see that happening anytime, casting the OP characters wouldn't be as difficult though, since the only main character that should be cast as japanese is Zoro, as stated by Oda Luffy would be brazilian.

DB could be a road movie on that incredible universe where a young boy discovers the world for the first time, Naruto can start with Zabuza arc, and Bleach could adapt until the end of gran fisher. WOuldn't adapt Fairy Tail, it doesn't bring anything new the other animes already do
I just can't see it. Not only they're way too long and thus it would take forever to tell the whole story (and you would have to film them back to back in the case of something like One Piece if you don't want your actors to age by much) but there are some things in those animes that work best in that medium and I just can't see being done in live-action.

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #290
SymbioticToxin
Dominus of Megadeus

If it wasn't for the outcry it would get as a 'Starship Troopers rip-off', I'd say Blue Gender.

SymbioticToxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:52 AM   #291
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
I just can't see it. Not only they're way too long and thus it would take forever to tell the whole story (and you would have to film them back to back in the case of something like One Piece if you don't want your actors to age by much) but there are some things in those animes that work best in that medium and I just can't see being done in live-action.
Aging the characters is one of the things the movies should do, instead of having Naruto as an all powerful monster that's only 16 years old. Fullmetal Alchemist's a franchise that i think could do the jump to live-action quite well, it's not exactly something that only works in it's medium, in fact some of the more manga types of jokes sometimes fell weird in the athmosphere of the show.

The Shonens i think could be adapted better are Fullmetal Alchemist and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, the later would work very well with a Sam Raimi type of comedy and exageration.

I can see your point with DB, Naruto and Bleach, but all of them start with a self centered arc that doesn't necessarily ask for sequels, Naruto starts with Zabusa arc, which is good and easy to adapt, Bleach can adapt the first 3 volumes, with the gran fisher arc as the main story.

Those 2 start with easy to adapt stories, it's true however that once you do a sequel to them it's going to take many films before you end the story, unless they make Bleach a trilogy and end it with Soul Sociey as was the original idea.

Dragon Ball has an interesting world and different stories to pick, it wasn't as hard to adapt as Evolution made it seem, you simply have to pick this simple idea of a kid discovering the world for the first time, and unlike Naruto and Bleach you can do a sequel and not expect 5 more movies.

As for the ages, the Twilight series (sorry for this example) had 5 movies and the characters aged like 1 or 2 years, that can be done with these films too as the characters age more than in the manga but still slower than other franchises.

As for One Piece i agree, it's something that works beautifully in it's medium but would have a hard time becoming live-action, on the other hand, of all the franchises it seems like the one that would get more help from it's creator is this, Oda seems like somebody that would try to get very heavily involved with it, which would be a good thing.

After seeing photos and videos of Oz: The Great and Powerful i'm starting to think they could also pull off the effects and the crazy world of OP, however it not only needs somebody with a vision but it's also so long that if adapted it would have to be divided into sagas for the adaptation as this:
Film 1: East Blue
Film 2: Baroque Works
Film 3: Skypiea
Film 4: CP9
Film 5: Whitebeard War
Film 6: Fishman Island
Film 7: New World (which seems to be going to end after the alliance takes down one of the Yonko)

Like this the series itself the film series would be very long too, possibly reaching 10 films, and each saga has a lot of content that it makes it difficult to compress into a 2-3 hours movie. This is like Avengers, a franchise that should only be touched by fans of the manga that are conected with Disney.

Since OP didn't really take off in the USA i doubt they will try to touch it anytime soon, which is a good thing for the timebeing. Meanwhile i think Fullmetal Alchemist and Bleach are their safest options, Bleach is being adapted and acording to the people behnd it it's going to be set in Japan, now we just have to hope they know how to cast and have a decent enough script.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #292
Tristan_McClark
Side-Kick

If any film should be adapted from the Gundam franchise, it's Wing, in my opinion.

It has that covert spy angle they can use. There are the war, peace, and revolution themes. The Gundams are visually appealing and each has a theme. I think, if the movie is going to be made for the general audience, ideas like Newtypes and Coordinators should be held off until later on. In the Western world, Wing was a pretty big deal then, so this would interest producers into taking a chance.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:25 AM   #293
M-2
Ultimate BAMF

I really think that FullMetal Alchemist Brotherhood would be Perfect for Live Adaption... Split into Four Films, with Peter Jackson directing.. I think we would get a real epic film that could stand right next to the Lord of the Rings Trilogy has one of the best fantasy epic adventure stories ever told!

FILMRAPS.BLOGSPOT.COM
M-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #294
Lord
All Mighty

After thinking about it maybe a japanese Yu-Gi-oh live-action film could work, no, i'm not saying a film about a card game should be done, the manga was completelly different from the anime, where every chapter the main character would do some dangerous games. Shadi arc would be the perfect starting point

Old 02-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #295
misjuevos
WUUHAAAAAAAAA!

macross plus.
gundam wing

Old 05-31-2013, 07:43 AM   #296
AstrÝ
The Man On The Moon

Honestly, with how deep the plot is, and how they could make it semi steam punky for mainstream media, I think Full Metal Alchemist would make a pretty awesome movie.

Last edited by AstrÝ; 05-31-2013 at 07:46 AM.
AstrÝ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:58 AM   #297
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

For me, the top two entries that scream cinematic are any of the Gundam series and Outlaw Star.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:00 AM   #298
Lord
All Mighty

Thinking better about it a trilogy would be the way to go with Fullmetal Alchemist instead of 4 films, some things would be cut but it could still work. I think it's actually one of the easiest shonen animes/ mangas to adapt, you have a mainly white cast, interesting but simple powers that can be done very easily in modern times, and a straightforward, yet deep story

Old 05-31-2013, 08:37 AM   #299
CJ
Derpy Derp

Without a doubt, Cowboy Bebop. Speaking of which, what's going on with that? Last I heard, Keanu Reeves was supposed to play Spike. That was 2 or 3 years ago..

Last edited by CJ; 05-31-2013 at 08:41 AM.
CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:15 AM   #300
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

Since a Spambot resurrected this thread, and I'm watching some stuff that might work
Hajime no Ippo, but only if it's Japanese

Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote