The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #651
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator
 
FilmNerdJamie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Between the Moon, New York City & your sister
Posts: 8,163
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
It's funny how Routh got casted much for his likeness to Reeve. Yet I think Cavill and Reeve look way more alike.
He wasn't cast because of his "likeness" to Reeve. Fanboy non-sense.

__________________
FilmNerdJamie is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #652
The Shield
It's really Happening!
 
The Shield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,706
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
He wasn't cast because of his "likeness" to Reeve. Fanboy non-sense.
That's not 100% accurate. It might not have been the only reason... but it was a factor.

__________________
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof. ~John Kenneth Galbraith

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

The Shield is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #653
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator
 
FilmNerdJamie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Between the Moon, New York City & your sister
Posts: 8,163
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shield View Post
That's not 100% accurate. It might not have been the only reason... but it was a factor.
Having spoken to people who worked on the movie, that is not the case.

__________________
FilmNerdJamie is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 12:58 PM   #654
The Shield
It's really Happening!
 
The Shield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,706
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
Having spoken to people who worked on the movie, that is not the case.
So it was just a coincidence he just so happened to favor him? What were the determining factors? Surely it wasn't his acting...

__________________
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof. ~John Kenneth Galbraith

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

The Shield is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #655
Kal-El.9859
Sent For A Reason
 
Kal-El.9859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Smallville/Metropolis
Posts: 8,993
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
Having spoken to people who worked on the movie, that is not the case.
I was also told by one of the writers back when blue tights was up and running that Jason wasn't Superman's son after I deduced that he was...

__________________
My father believed, if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me...out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?
-Superman

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers

Last edited by Kal-El.9859; 01-29-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Kal-El.9859 is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #656
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator
 
FilmNerdJamie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Between the Moon, New York City & your sister
Posts: 8,163
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
I was also told by one of the writers back when blue tights was up and running that Jason wasn't Superman's son after I deduced that he was...
And you expected them to say, "Yeah you got us. That's what we're doing!" before it came out? Apples and oranges, Sir.

__________________
FilmNerdJamie is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #657
Kal-El.9859
Sent For A Reason
 
Kal-El.9859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Smallville/Metropolis
Posts: 8,993
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
And you expected them to say, "Yeah you got us. That's what we're doing!" before it came out? Apples and oranges, Sir.
You never know...

__________________
My father believed, if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me...out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?
-Superman

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #658
747
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.
 
747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sweden
Posts: 3,814
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
He wasn't cast because of his "likeness" to Reeve. Fanboy non-sense.
Well it wasn't the only or even biggest factor, but I believe it was a small one. I mean they must have tried to find someone not completely unsimilar considering the movie.

__________________
Top ten favorite theatrical superhero movies:

1. The Dark Knight | 2. Superman: The Movie | 3. Batman Begins | 4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier | 5. The Avengers
6. The Dark Knight Rises | 7. X2 | 8. Spider-Man 2 | 9. Batman Returns | 10. Iron Man 3

Last edited by 747; 01-29-2013 at 01:45 PM.
747 is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 02:48 PM   #659
superman2090
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 101
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
Having spoken to people who worked on the movie, that is not the case.
Just to add my two cents. Superman has a certain look so it shouldn't surprise anyone that Reeve, Routh and Cavill all bear a resemblance to one another. They have all been made to look like Superman. In my mind, Reeve did not define what Superman should look like. Reeve simply looked like Superman.

I don't think that G. Reeves looked much like the Superman of the modern era, but he did have the qualities of a 1950's Superman with slicked back hair and a broader, less angular jaw.

While I enjoyed Dean Cain, I think his Clark looked better than his Superman.

To sum up (because I have started to ramble), I think the three big budget franchises and to some extent, Smallville, chose actors who all had the basic features of the Superman character.

superman2090 is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #660
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator
 
FilmNerdJamie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Between the Moon, New York City & your sister
Posts: 8,163
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman2090 View Post
Just to add my two cents. Superman has a certain look so it shouldn't surprise anyone that Reeve, Routh and Cavill all bear a resemblance to one another. They have all been made to look like Superman. In my mind, Reeve did not define what Superman should look like. Reeve simply looked like Superman.

I don't think that G. Reeves looked much like the Superman of the modern era, but he did have the qualities of a 1950's Superman with slicked back hair and a broader, less angular jaw.

While I enjoyed Dean Cain, I think his Clark looked better than his Superman.

To sum up (because I have started to ramble), I think the three big budget franchises and to some extent, Smallville, chose actors who all had the basic features of the Superman character.
Excellent post.

__________________
FilmNerdJamie is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #661
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick
 
Dr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,719
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman2090 View Post
To sum up (because I have started to ramble), I think the three big budget franchises and to some extent, Smallville, chose actors who all had the basic features of the Superman character.
So you’re saying… if one person looks like a character… and another person looks like the same character… then it isn’t too surprising that those people might resemble each other.

Dr. is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #662
dark_b
Side-Kick
 
dark_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 43,393
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shield View Post
So it was just a coincidence he just so happened to favor him? What were the determining factors? Surely it wasn't his acting...
oh please lets not start with this.


why was Cavill cast? because he already screentested 2000 times in the last 10 years and because he is british. Nolan boom boom.

lets stop joking. WB was not going to spend a cent more than they had to. this meant using everything from the old failed superman movies. scripts,suits,actors from the last 7 years that were desperate becoming superman. ohhhh and the suit is from the flyby script. end of story. Snyder was working on the suit with concept artist? hahahahhahahahahhah. there was a big law suit with superman. WB was doing all the work on the suit from the office. what could and what could not be used.

i dont think Routh is a good actor. but i would bet my life on it that Cavill was not cast for his acting. he looks like superman,he is cheap,he already screentested 20000 times and he is cheap.

dark_b is online now  
Old 01-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #663
JAK®
Upstart
 
JAK®'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 7,290
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman2090 View Post
In my mind, Reeve did not define what Superman should look like. Reeve simply looked like Superman.
Reeve looked like Superman, but he also defined Superman. Superman in the comics was always more middle-aged looking. His hairline was almost receding. When Reeve was cast, the biggest complaint was how young he looked. It was his acting that overcame that detail.

When John Byrne rebooted Superman in 1986, he made a conscious decision to draw Superman like Christopher Reeve. Most artists since then followed Byrne's 'redesign'. Even now we have artists like Gary Frank who basically draw a caricature of Reeve.

__________________
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
You are now breathing manually.
JAK®



JAK® is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 03:41 PM   #664
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick
 
Dr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,719
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post
lets stop joking. WB was not going to spend a cent more than they had to. this meant using everything from the old failed superman movies. scripts,suits,actors from the last 7 years that were desperate becoming superman. ohhhh and the suit is from the flyby script. end of story.
As you probably know, Hollywood is full of very protective unions, guilds and agents. So it’s unlikely that WB could negotiate discounted fees from Goyer or production and costume designers (etc.) based on the notion that a lot of work had been done for prior/failed productions. Everything has to be paid for. Again.

Dr. is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 03:43 PM   #665
JAK®
Upstart
 
JAK®'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 7,290
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
As you probably know, Hollywood is full of very protective unions, guilds and agents. So it’s unlikely that WB could negotiate discounted fees from Goyer or production and costume designers (etc.) based on the notion that a lot of work had been done for prior/failed productions. Everything has to be paid for. Again.
Then why is so much of MOS recycled from previous projects?

Even SR borrowed from previous attempts. The plane scene was taken directly from the J.J Abrams script.

__________________
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
You are now breathing manually.
JAK®



JAK® is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 03:46 PM   #666
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty
 
Lead Cenobite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: US
Posts: 2,851
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

I've never seen an unused design from pat projects that bore any real resemblance to the MoS suit other than being Superman suits. None have that alien design on the bodysuit most notably.

__________________
Superman with realistic physics isn't Superman.
Lead Cenobite is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #667
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick
 
Dr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,719
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK® View Post
Then why is so much of MOS recycled from previous projects?

Even SR borrowed from previous attempts. The plane scene was taken directly from the J.J Abrams script.
Oh, the ideas/concepts may be recycled. But it was claimed that this was a cost-saving move. I don't think that factors in at all.

Dr. is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #668
moviefreak
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 260
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK® View Post
Reeve looked like Superman, but he also defined Superman. Superman in the comics was always more middle-aged looking. His hairline was almost receding. When Reeve was cast, the biggest complaint was how young he looked. It was his acting that overcame that detail.
Almost receding but not quite. IIRC, the receding hair Superman is from the earlier period, at the time when Christopher Reeve was cast, the Superman that I most remember and recongnised as definite (even compared with the 90s' & 00s comic) was Curt Swan:



A lot of Henry Cavill's features are there.

moviefreak is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 03:53 PM   #669
dark_b
Side-Kick
 
dark_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 43,393
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

WB paid for 10 years concept artist and writters for writting action scenes. so they used them.

dark_b is online now  
Old 01-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #670
JAK®
Upstart
 
JAK®'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 7,290
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviefreak View Post
Almost receding but not quite. IIRC, the receding hair Superman is from the earlier period, at the time when Christopher Reeve was cast, the Superman that I most remember and recongnised as definite (even compared with the 90s' & 00s comic) was Curt Swan:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:


A lot of Henry Cavill's features are there.
When exactly was that page published? This is what I see when I think of Curt Swan's Superman;


__________________
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
You are now breathing manually.
JAK®



JAK® is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #671
moviefreak
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 260
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK® View Post
When exactly was that page published? This is what I see when I think of Curt Swan's Superman;

I don't recall when. Yep the above drawing is all Swan. Either, the receding hairline wasn't too obvious as in the previous incarnation, or maybe my memory is playing trick on me. I do not have access to my old comic collection as they're all boxed away in the my old home, so I could refresh my recollection at the moment..

moviefreak is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 04:07 PM   #672
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator
 
FilmNerdJamie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Between the Moon, New York City & your sister
Posts: 8,163
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK® View Post
Then why is so much of MOS recycled from previous projects?

Even SR borrowed from previous attempts. The plane scene was taken directly from the J.J Abrams script.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post
WB paid for 10 years concept artist and writters for writting action scenes. so they used them.
Bingo.

Good money was spent and reusing stuff (that was never used the first time around) is cost-effective. Nothing wrong with that.

__________________

Last edited by FilmNerdJamie; 01-29-2013 at 04:14 PM.
FilmNerdJamie is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #673
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick
 
Dr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,719
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post
WB paid for 10 years concept artist and writters for writting action scenes. so they used them.
Presumably, Snyder and co. had full access to the prior stuff - and (re)used what was good/useful. But new writers/designers still had to be hired at their going rate. Put it this way: at $225M, MOS doesn’t appear to be the beneficiary of any significant cost savings from defunct projects.

Dr. is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #674
DIRECTOR
Side-Kick
 
DIRECTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Somewhere?
Posts: 8,135
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
Pieced together this photo from Empire.



The Kryptonians.
are you serious, nobody can't combine both images and get rid of the black line in the middle, it's so distracting!!

Edit: Nevermind, tried it on Paint, doens't work

DIRECTOR is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 05:17 PM   #675
JAK®
Upstart
 
JAK®'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 7,290
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

...is that Amy Adams as a brunette.

__________________
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
You are now breathing manually.
JAK®



JAK® is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.