The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

View Poll Results: Actors from Original trilogy returning for a possible Days of Future past?
Ellen Page as Shadowcat 67 41.36%
Hugh Jackman as Wolverine 105 64.81%
Halle Berry as Storm 56 34.57%
Anna Paquin as Rogue 55 33.95%
James Marsden as Cyclops 82 50.62%
Ben Foster as Angel 28 17.28%
Kelsey Grammer as Beast 46 28.40%
Alan Cumming as Nightcrawler 49 30.25%
Shawn Ashmore as Iceman 48 29.63%
Famke Janssen as Jean Grey 64 39.51%
Taylor Kitsch as Gambit 39 24.07%
Daniel Cudmore as Colossus 44 27.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 04:57 AM   #976
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Default Re: Actors from original trilogy on First Class sequel with Days of Future Past - Par

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
This is the last time I'm going to say this, and then I'm finished arguing with people:
The existence of inconsistencies - actual or perceived - does not mean that the X-Men films are not meant to exist as part of a singular continuity.

FOX has made it clear that, inconsistencies or not, the films do in fact occupy and comprise a singular continuity and have shown zero indication that they plan to change this in any way, shape, or form.

Bryan Singer has said that he does intend to do some 'clean up' but this does not mean that he's going to jettison or invalidate anything that currently exists as part of said singular continuity.
I don't think anyone is disagreeing that the films are SUPPOSED to be part of a single continuity.

What people are saying is that more care should have been taken along the way to avoid the continuity errors, because at present it's like a jigsaw that doesn't quite fit together.

It seems likely that Singer will use the idea of alternate timelines and multiverses to explain away some of the differences, and perhaps he will incorporate conversations or events that deal with some of the other problems. At least, we can hope that's the case.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier 7/10, Noah 3/10
Old 01-31-2013, 08:37 AM   #977
Whiskey Tango
1964 ~ 2014

Default Re: Actors from original trilogy on First Class sequel with Days of Future Past - Par

Quote:
The existence of inconsistencies - actual or perceived - does not mean that the X-Men films are not meant to exist as part of a singular continuity.
No but it *is* a sign of lazy and sloppy storytelling, which is the only idea I personally have put forth. I don't remember ever mentioning anything about multiple continuities. But you seem to have some weird agenda here anyway, beginning with your refusal to acknowledge these errors at all and your constant deflection of peoples arguments for cleaning them up.

But feel free to run along and argue with yourself, since you apparently find everyone around here so tedious.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 01-31-2013, 08:38 AM   #978
Whiskey Tango
1964 ~ 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I don't think anyone is disagreeing that the films are SUPPOSED to be part of a single continuity.

What people are saying is that more care should have been taken along the way to avoid the continuity errors, because at present it's like a jigsaw that doesn't quite fit together.

It seems likely that Singer will use the idea of alternate timelines and multiverses to explain away some of the differences, and perhaps he will incorporate conversations or events that deal with some of the other problems. At least, we can hope that's the case.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:40 AM   #979
Picard Sisko
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
No but it *is* a sign of lazy and sloppy storytelling, which is the only idea I personally have put forth. I don't remember ever mentioning anything about multiple continuities. But you seem to have some weird agenda here anyway, beginning with your refusal to acknowledge these errors at all and your constant deflection of peoples arguments for cleaning them up.

But feel free to run along and argue with yourself, since you apparently find everyone around here so tedious.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post

Honestly, that's the only way to fix it. Otherwise, this new series has to stand on its own and have no connection to the original films or The Wolverine.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:42 AM   #980
Picard Sisko

Quote:
This is the last time I'm going to say this, and then I'm finished arguing with people:

FOX has made it clear that, inconsistencies or not, the films do in fact occupy and comprise a singular continuity and have shown zero indication that they plan to change this in any way, shape, or form.

Bryan Singer has said that he does intend to do some 'clean up' but this does not mean that he's going to jettison or invalidate anything that currently exists as part of said singular continuity.
Dude, I wasn't arguing with anyone. Just sharing my thoughts and feelings about the upcoming movie, and the continuity errors. If what you are saying is true, then that is terrible news, because it would mean that Fox would be ignoring TONS and TONS of continuity errors present throughout all of the movies without even trying to fix them. That sounds awful.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:51 AM   #981
Whiskey Tango
1964 ~ 2014

Seriously. I thought the Rothman era was over. You could expect that sort of half-assed attention to detail while that guy was in charge but hopefully the new regime places more value on quality.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:53 AM   #982
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

For a "writer" digific seems to not care about continuity or good story telling.... God forbid any of us have to read any of his work.....

Old 01-31-2013, 10:01 AM   #983
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

^ I'm actually a 'continuity Nazi' most of the time; the reason I'm not with this franchise is that when I take a look at all of the things that people list as being continuity errors, I find very few of them to actually be that erroneous, and certainly not worth splintering the current singular continuity of the franchise in order to fix.

The personal jab was completely uncalled-for, BTW.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:11 AM   #984
Picard Sisko

What have you worked on, just out of curiosity?

Old 01-31-2013, 10:18 AM   #985
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

^ My most 'high- profile' work is the Firefly Virtual Television series "Virtual Firefly", which you can find at http://www.stillflying.net.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:33 AM   #986
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
^ I'm actually a 'continuity Nazi' most of the time; the reason I'm not with this franchise is that when I take a look at all of the things that people list as being continuity errors, I find very few of them to actually be that erroneous, and certainly not worth splintering the current singular continuity of the franchise in order to fix.

The personal jab was completely uncalled-for, BTW.
i think it's pretty valid in this scenario. This franchise is broke... Singer acknowledged it with using "fixing inconsistencies" and for like the billionth time... he said that when the subject of the thesis was TIME TRAVEL/ALT Dimensions. It's just simple english.

you obviously don't think anything is broken. great for you, but when the creator says something's broken... i'm going to go with his opinion

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 01-31-2013, 10:43 AM   #987
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

^ I acknowledge that there are things that could be fixed; what I disagree with are the things that actually need to be fixed and the manner in which you go about fixing them.

The interview Singer did that was posted a few days ago says nothing about the manner in which he plans to go about fixing some of the inconsistencies; the mention of string theory, multiverses, etc. was made in reference to bringing the two casts together.

Last edited by DigificWriter; 01-31-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:02 AM   #988
Whiskey Tango
1964 ~ 2014

I thought you were done arguing about it.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:41 PM   #989
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
I thought you were done arguing about it.

#retweet

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 01-31-2013, 08:39 PM   #990
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

There's a difference between carrying on an argument on a particular subject and continuing to comment on that subject.

At any rate, let's move on to other things. Given that Singer - as producer and Co-developer of FC's story - set in motion the circumstances that will eventually lead to Nightcrawler's birth by introducing his father Aezael, I'm wondering whether or not he'll reach out to Alan Cumming and try to get him to reprise his role in DoFP.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:31 PM   #991
Angamb
Banned User

talking about Alan, today Ive noticed that he and Singer dont follow each other on twitter. Just as a curiosity.

on other hand.... I think Nightcrawler return should be kept as a surprise for a possible full cast reunion after Days of future. The same with Cyclops and Gambit.

These three characters are fan favourites, so taking into account the hype around Days of future with the current cast, Id preffer Singer and Fox to keep them out by now.

If the studio really has X4 in early development, it would be really smart to announce their return for that movie, so the hype would increase pretty quickly. believe me.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:42 PM   #992
lordofthenerds
Not a Goddamn Side-Kick

Quote:
There's a difference between carrying on an argument on a particular subject and continuing to comment on that subject.

At any rate, let's move on to other things. Given that Singer - as producer and Co-developer of FC's story - set in motion the circumstances that will eventually lead to Nightcrawler's birth by introducing his father Aezael, I'm wondering whether or not he'll reach out to Alan Cumming and try to get him to reprise his role in DoFP.
Did they really set that in motion though? Mystique never even shared a line of dialogue with Azrael.

To me, it seemed as though they originally intended to set up the birth of Nightcrawler, ditched the idea, but ended up keeping Azrael anyway.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
You officially have no life.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:48 PM   #993
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

They set up the circumstances that will eventually lead to Nightcrawler's birth by introducing Aezael and by having Mystique joining the Brotherhood at the end of the movie. Setting something up doesn't have to mean anything more significant than putting two particular characters in the same place at the same time and allowing them to meet.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:00 PM   #994
lordofthenerds
Not a Goddamn Side-Kick

Maybe they'll eat up some screen time and develop a new romance. Or maybe the two hooked up in that 10 year time gap. You never know... but I wouldn't be too surprised if we never see a relationship between those two.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:05 PM   #995
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

We already know the relationship between the two happens because of X2 and Nightcrawler's presence; therefore, we don't necessarily need to SEE it happen, although I personally think we will.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:09 PM   #996
lordofthenerds
Not a Goddamn Side-Kick

Quote:
We already know the relationship between the two happens because of X2 and Nightcrawler's presence; therefore, we don't necessarily need to see it happen, although I personally think we will.
You can believe that if you want, but they take all kinds of liberties with the comics in these movies. Hell, Havok might not even be related to Cyclops. It was never stated in X2 that Mystique was Nightcrawler's mother. What makes you think Mystique and Azazel are automatically the parents of Nightcrawler in this universe?

Last edited by lordofthenerds; 01-31-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:11 PM   #997
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

Just because Nightcrawler's parents in the comics are Mystique and Azazel, it doesn't mean they have to do that too in the movies. Mystique already met Nightcrawler before, and there was no indication that those two are mother/son. Then with Azazel, Mystique wasn't even attracted to him. And it would feel really forced if they are really going to do that mother/son thing with Mystique and Nightcrawler and the relationship between Mystique and Azazel.

Hugh Jackman - Halle Berry - Ian McKellen - Patrick Stewart
Anna Paquin - Shawn Ashmore - Daniel Cudmore - Ellen Page
Old 01-31-2013, 10:17 PM   #998
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Quote:
We already know the relationship between the two happens because of X2 and Nightcrawler's presence; therefore, we don't necessarily need to SEE it happen, although I personally think we will.
But there is nothing, and I mean NOTHING, in the movies that suggest Mystique and Azazel are Nightcrawler's parents. "Because the comics said so" really isn't proof. Keeping that particular element compliant with the comics is way more trouble than it's worth. Remember people, we've got 4 hours left to tell the stories of at LEAST 5-6 characters, alongside some plot and action and power battles. I think the tale of Nightcrawler's family ties is a good candidate for the cutting room floor.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:17 PM   #999
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

I believe Singer has gone on record stating that he and Vaughn introduced Aezael because of his comic connection to Mystique and Nightcrawler.

Singer may have taken liberties at times, but he has also demonstrated that he has a great knowledge of and reverence for the comics and has proudly drawn on them for inspiration, insight, and information.

Last edited by DigificWriter; 01-31-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:19 PM   #1000
lordofthenerds
Not a Goddamn Side-Kick

Quote:
I believe Singer has gone on record stating that he and Vaughn introduced Aezael because of his comic connection to Mystique and Nightcrawler.
Could you provide a link? Just because that may very well have been their original intention, does not mean they have to follow through with it.