The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 06:46 PM   #401
The Guard
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

The criminals in TDKR weren't imprisoned based on a lie. They were imprisoned for their crimes, out of a desire for the people of Gotham to be free of organized crime. If the lie about Dent somehow inspired the people of Gotham, so what? The legal basis for the criminals being locked up still exists. So the whole "Oh no, Gordon's lie will be revealed" bit? It doesn't mean anything. It's yet another thing the writers didn't think through, this time when they were writing TDKR and having everything hinge on this big, emotional reveal.

Quote:
In their defense(surprisingly), I would say that their intent was good(batman should be hated imo).
Right, but instead of naturally writing that in...they've got him being hated for forced dramatic reasons, instead of the obvious: He's essentially a terrorist, during a time when another terrorist is operating, thereby making people less inclined to want terrorists running around.

Quote:
Also I think it marked a that sign producers were thinking of one film at a time as opposed to an entire list of episodes(ala marvel studios). Yielding one of the more coveted cbms around.
Quote:
I agree that it showed a lack of thought. I'm not even sure Dent had two personalities, rather that he was just angry and short sighted.
Nope. He was just really mad (and a little crazy, apparently).

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 01-31-2013, 06:51 PM   #402
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Wait I thought I entered the MOS thread, did I accidentally enter a batman related one?

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
Old 01-31-2013, 06:54 PM   #403
ModusPonens
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkVeNgeanCe View Post
Wait I thought I entered the MOS thread, did I accidentally enter a batman related one?
I was thinking the same thing.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:56 PM   #404
Kal-El.9859
Life Found A Way

Quote:
I thought the same thing...is this the wrong thread?

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 01-31-2013, 07:30 PM   #405
Marvin
Side-Kick

unlike Kevin Feige, or even Stephen Spielberg and his writing team.

Nolan and Goyer are responsible for writing this bad boy, if their strengths and weakness can't be discussed here, that's a shame.

Also, this started as a discussion about weather or not superman should be hated/trusted by the public or not ala batman.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:35 PM   #406
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
The criminals in TDKR weren't imprisoned based on a lie. They were imprisoned for their crimes, out of a desire for the people of Gotham to be free of organized crime. If the lie about Dent somehow inspired the people of Gotham, so what? The legal basis for the criminals being locked up still exists. So the whole "Oh no, Gordon's lie will be revealed" bit? It doesn't mean anything. It's yet another thing the writers didn't think through, this time when they were writing TDKR and having everything hinge on this big, emotional reveal.
I get that they were in jail due to Dent's "amazing lawyer skills" and that Nolan thought that by incriminating Dent they would all have grounds to go free(somehow).

But what was that bit about the "Dent act," I'm hazy but I thought it kept them all in there too.

Either way, not my favorite movie and I hope they don't play as fast and loose going forward, just keep it simple when it comes to such things.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:38 PM   #407
rashad
Hype Board Junkie

Jezz...

Old 01-31-2013, 10:26 PM   #408
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

So um....yeah..Superman?lol

Do you guys think we'll have time to see Superman take down some small scale crimes as well in this film? Or do you guys think that his rescues will just be natural disasters and alien invasions in this film?

Old 01-31-2013, 10:35 PM   #409
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

I honestly would love to see him save a cat from a tree. Or stop a small time robbery. Lol Something I though the incredibles did well.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:37 PM   #410
Kal-El.9859
Life Found A Way

I doubt we will see small time stuff...go watch Returns for that

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 01-31-2013, 10:48 PM   #411
ThePhantasm
Feedin' the Wampa

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
I thought the same thing...is this the wrong thread?
For some horrific reason even though there are dozens of threads discussing TDKR, arguments over that movie keep entering into Superman and Spider-Man threads. Some men just want to watch the threads burn.

Countdown to Mysterious Heroism | H.E.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:52 PM   #412
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Yeah... there's plenty of Superman saving cats and small timers in the past. No more montages of cute rescues and such. It's time to go big. Let Spiderman save the kitties.

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Old 01-31-2013, 10:53 PM   #413
Showtime
Your Friend In Time
SHH! Global Moderator

Superman Open Discussion does mean any discussion you can think of...that is Superman related.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:10 PM   #414
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing Superman (even as Clark) stop a mugger or a murderer in the film; I'd like to see the look on their faces when they realize that they've just come upon a person where nothing can seemingly hurt him and that they're seriously screwed, plus it'd be a great way to demonstrated with visuals on how he represents hope where he appears at the very last minute.

I can't tell you how many times where i've seen films involving criminals of the worst nature where I wish superman was there just to throw them through a wall, it wouldn't kill them, but it would give them the beating that they deserved.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:11 PM   #415
ThePhantasm
Feedin' the Wampa

I like that Superman concerns himself with little things AND big things.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:13 PM   #416
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
Word; he's practically one of the few heroes that I know who goes about tackling all sorts of issues and doesn't limit himself to just one place in the world or universe.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:13 PM   #417
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
I hope it's in the right context, though. If Supes is present and able, of course he should help. But that scene in SR where he's floating above the earth listening to EVERYTHING...and the presumably worst thing that requires his attention right then is a bank robbery. Coincidentally in Metropolis. I mean, really?

Old 01-31-2013, 11:17 PM   #418
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

For laughs...

12 Things That Ruined Superman

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 01-31-2013, 11:21 PM   #419
geetard
In Tsujihara We Trust

Has this article been posted already?

http://theflickcast.com/2013/01/30/e...rner-brothers/

Old 01-31-2013, 11:23 PM   #420
ThePhantasm
Feedin' the Wampa

That article has a lot of baseless conjecture, a lot of overreading into things, and a lot of making a big to-do about nothing.

Maybe it'll all come true but I don't think we have any reason to worry right now.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:46 PM   #421
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing Superman (even as Clark) stop a mugger or a murderer in the film; I'd like to see the look on their faces when they realize that they've just come upon a person where nothing can seemingly hurt him and that they're seriously screwed, plus it'd be a great way to demonstrated with visuals on how he represents hope where he appears at the very last minute.

I can't tell you how many times where i've seen films involving criminals of the worst nature where I wish superman was there just to throw them through a wall, it wouldn't kill them, but it would give them the beating that they deserved.
a murderer or rapist I'm with you for MOS.

And I agree that Supes is the guy who does those small things. But for this movie, the cats in the trees and things of that nature, for me personally, I won't miss it.

There's been pleanty of that in live action in the past and the GA is used to that and knows him as the goodie 2shoes.

There's way more that has been in the comics for years that has not been seen that needs to be for the GA to see the other side that they don't know.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:52 PM   #422
Marvin
Side-Kick

I hope superman has only one villain from the outset. In every instance, that second villain paradigm has only hurt the Batfilms(whoops).

Seriously though, just stick with the Zod and his crew. No lex or anything of that sort.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:56 PM   #423
Lone
Level 70 Social Leper

I personally would like to see the gun seller scene from Birthright. Totally bad ass Superman moment but due to the recent school shooting tragedies, I don't know if it's too soon?

I like how people complain about the five thousand or so lives lost in MOS while totally ignoring the seven billion one hundred twenty-four million nine hundred ninety-five thousand other people Superman saved by taking out the World Engine.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:59 PM   #424
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone View Post
I personally would like to see the gun seller scene from Birthright. Totally bad ass Superman moment but due to the recent school shooting tragedies, I don't know if it's too soon?
Yes! I wanted to add this to my last reply. This is a scene that should be in MOS. Small but a HUGE impact.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:00 AM   #425
Lone
Level 70 Social Leper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shield View Post
Yes! I wanted to add this to my last reply. This is a scene that should be in MOS. Small but a HUGE impact.
The look on Cavill's face in your avatar fits that scene perfectly.

I like how people complain about the five thousand or so lives lost in MOS while totally ignoring the seven billion one hundred twenty-four million nine hundred ninety-five thousand other people Superman saved by taking out the World Engine.
Closed Thread