The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 11:26 PM   #426
The Shield
It's really Happening!
 
The Shield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,958
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone View Post
The look on Cavill's face in your avatar fits that scene perfectly.
Totally.

__________________
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof. ~John Kenneth Galbraith

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

The Shield is offline  
Old 02-01-2013, 01:49 AM   #427
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday
 
Rust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Denmark and out there...
Posts: 4,635
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

The scene from Birthright would be awesome to see done, but it would have to be story-related. No more random rescue/show-off montages. That's from the past.

That doesnt mean we cant have small time rescue stuff, but again let it be part of the story and not just thrown in there because it's tradition. I'm thinking Smallville could show some of the above, with intimate human elements.

__________________
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new"
Rust is offline  
Old 02-01-2013, 02:48 AM   #428
EtherMagic
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 835
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shield View Post
Totally.

Thats an awesome AV from the Toy/box art. I really hope they based that box art off of an actual scene in the movie, would be awesome to see Henry with such a kickass serious ready for battle look going on!

__________________
The Morningstar: "Making Superman dark is probably the dumbest idea ever. It goes against everything that the character represents."

"But there is nothing wrong with making a film about him a bit edgier and less corny."
EtherMagic is offline  
Old 02-01-2013, 03:20 AM   #429
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator
 
craigdbfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Interstellar
Posts: 28,465
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

It's beautiful is what it is. The slightly messed up hair seriously gives it a Jim Lee feel.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

__________________
Quote:
For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline  
Old 02-01-2013, 06:46 AM   #430
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!
 
hopefuldreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South West, UK
Posts: 11,298
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetard View Post
Has this article been posted already?

http://theflickcast.com/2013/01/30/e...rner-brothers/
God, I disagree with that article on almost every level.

For one thing, I do not accept that Batman and Superman are polar opposites. They both have a no kill policy, they both fight for justice and they both have a fake face they show the world by day. They a lot in common, which is why they are such good friends and work so well together.

Yes, Batman is a darker hero and his methods might be different, but I think calling them polar opposites is kind of shallow.

__________________
I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."


*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline  
Old 02-01-2013, 06:49 AM   #431
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender
 
Gianakin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 19,287
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Besides, the article uses only one of the many things Goyer/Nolan/Snyder have said about Supes and MoS, and out of context at that. Boo.

Gianakin_ is offline  
Old 02-01-2013, 06:59 AM   #432
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!
 
hopefuldreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South West, UK
Posts: 11,298
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
Besides, the article uses only one of the many things Goyer/Nolan/Snyder have said about Supes and MoS, and out of context at that. Boo.
Yup!

I resent his last comment about it not being a film for the fans. I'm a fan, and this film looks to be everything I want from a Supes film so far!

__________________
I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."


*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline  
Old 02-01-2013, 07:01 AM   #433
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender
 
Gianakin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 19,287
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

I've started reading more Supes stuff recently and just the trailers have 60% shots taken straight from the comics. So f**k that.

Gianakin_ is offline  
Old 02-01-2013, 07:03 AM   #434
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick
 
Bruce Malone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Stay out of my territory
Posts: 5,883
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

How would you guys feel if MOS just ends up sort of a mid-level success? Just good enough to warrant a sequel but not really leaving much of an impact with the audiences?

I'm thinking sort of like TASM this past summer and even that still grossed about $750 million dollars WW.

Bruce Malone is offline  
Old 02-01-2013, 07:05 AM   #435
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender
 
Gianakin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 19,287
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

If it guarantees a sequel and I like it or love it, I could care less how masses feel.

Gianakin_ is offline  
Old 02-01-2013, 07:05 AM   #436
JAKŪ
Upstart
 
JAKŪ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 7,365
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
How would you guys feel if MOS just ends up sort of a mid-level success? Just good enough to warrant a sequel but not really leaving much of an impact with the audiences?

I'm thinking sort of like TASM this past summer and even that still grossed about $750 million dollars WW.
Like Batman Begins?

__________________
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
You are now breathing manually.
JAKŪ



JAKŪ is offline  
Old 02-01-2013, 07:07 AM   #437
Project862006
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 21,203
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

whats much an impact?

stark trek imo wasn't much of a success 385 million WW on a 150 million dollar budget


and people loved it with great word of mouth

Project862006 is offline  
Old 02-01-2013, 07:11 AM   #438
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick
 
Bruce Malone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Stay out of my territory
Posts: 5,883
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKŪ View Post
Like Batman Begins?
Batman Begins was an unusual case that grew very strongly with word or mouth which translated into high video sales. It was almost the last of its kind as a blockbuster, as the home video market is a shell of itself from even 5-6 years ago.

Now films don't have the luxury to "grow" after their initial release. It's really all or nothing.

I bought up TASM mainly due to the fact that it made money but it just didn't feel like it had much impact if that's possible?

Bruce Malone is offline  
Old 02-01-2013, 07:13 AM   #439
Glassjaw
In training
 
Glassjaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Brighton/Somerset, UK
Posts: 1,391
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetard View Post
Has this article been posted already?

http://theflickcast.com/2013/01/30/e...rner-brothers/
Talk about a one sided argument. He's taken one quote and ran with it. What about the interviews where they've said what worked for Batman won't necessarily work for Superman, and that he is an unabashed hero? Ofcourse everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I can't stand the way he presents his opinion as fact, backing it up with one measly source (the Empire article.)

Glassjaw is offline  
Old 02-01-2013, 07:17 AM   #440
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender
 
Gianakin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 19,287
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
I bought up TASM mainly due to the fact that it made money but it just didn't feel like it had much impact if that's possible?
It is. TASM and Hobbit. But MoS leans on the BB side, rather than the TASM one at this point, I think.

Gianakin_ is offline  
Old 02-01-2013, 07:18 AM   #441
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender
 
Gianakin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 19,287
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassjaw View Post
backing it up with one measly source (part of the Empire article.)
Fixed. Guy's unprofessional to boot.

Gianakin_ is offline  
Old 02-01-2013, 09:00 AM   #442
Smallville13
Side-Kick
 
Smallville13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,945
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

I think the tone they're going for is similar to the source material too (For All Seasons, Peace of Earth, Birthright). There's nothing that really denotes it as a TDK-style film either really. I don't recall seeing any of that beautiful daylight imagery of farmland and the like in TDK.

As for saving kittens out've trees and stopping robbers. I'm going to say perhaps during his younger Smallville years and/or Alaska period. Only because I think the whole 'why the world needs Superman' will be the 'higher form of war' Zod brings to Earth.

Also going back to the beginning of the TDK takeover the last couple pages, I think Superman shouldn't be accepted and loved by everyone. Not even by the end of the film. It just wouldn't be very realistic. I think there would be a sort of quiet understanding and apprehensive nod of appreciation for saving Metropolis by bystanders. But they have every right to still fear and mistrust him. It's just how it would be in our society.

Smallville13 is offline  
Old 02-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #443
Zionite1
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,470
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
Only because I think the whole 'why the world needs Superman' will be the 'higher form of war' Zod brings to Earth.
I personally hope not.So basically Superman exists to fight alien invasions.That seems more in line with Greeen lantern.

What i want is for MOS to show tht the world is suffering and needs a Superman and not because Zod showed up.

One idea i had on how it cld be handled is to potray the earth as a dying planet.L ooking at our world its not that hard a leap-Potray the world as one that frequently suffers natural disaterss causing despair around the world.As a result of the disasters we have evil people taking advantage of it to cause chaos around the world.Basically the world is in a Dark place before Zod shows up.Superman becomes a hero to change all that

Zionite1 is offline  
Old 02-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #444
gdw
Side-Kick
 
gdw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans . . .
Posts: 4,714
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassjaw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by geetard View Post
Has this article been posted already?

http://theflickcast.com/2013/01/30/e...rner-brothers/
Talk about a one sided argument. He's taken one quote and ran with it. What about the interviews where they've said what worked for Batman won't necessarily work for Superman, and that he is an unabashed hero? Ofcourse everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I can't stand the way he presents his opinion as fact, backing it up with one measly source (the Empire article.)
I disagree with the article's author's opinion, not because I think he is extrapolating the wrong conclusion (beside the "brooding" melancholy he thinks Superman will be exhibiting in the end), but rather because I think that what he extrapolates IS what they are doing, and that approach is EXACTLY what Superman needs in a movie. We WOULD be skeptical, and likely terrified, of a god like alien showing up on Earth.

There would also be those who fully embraced him.

Superman needs to EARN our trust, not because of who HE is, but because of who WE are. In the end, he will be embraced by the good in us, and those few who resent him will remain cynical.

The approach will also showcase the difference between being skeptical vs cynical, which is, imo, a good thing to showcase.

This is, assuming, HOPING, thy go that approach with Luthor; having him resent Superman, distrusting him, thinking it should be MAN we look up to; failing to see how Superman can bring out the good in us, he is blinded by his own hubris in wanting to be man's "saviour" himself, and it poisons him, and fuels his own greed and cements his megalomania.

At least that's how I want to see Luthor and Superman.

__________________
You will never be forgoten Robert.

Thanks Cconn, for the avvy.

"Originally we wanted Bill Murray to play Batman." - Jon Peters.
gdw is offline  
Old 02-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #445
Krumm
Beer Snob
 
Krumm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,955
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetard View Post
Has this article been posted already?

http://theflickcast.com/2013/01/30/e...rner-brothers/
I refuse to read articles written by a guy who dresses like Silent Bob. I think that's just good practice for everything in life.

Krumm is offline  
Old 02-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #446
DarkKnight FTW
Lantern Honor Guard
 
DarkKnight FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Right Behind You
Posts: 816
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
I disagree with the article's author's opinion, not because I think he is extrapolating the wrong conclusion (beside the "brooding" melancholy he thinks Superman will be exhibiting in the end), but rather because I think that what he extrapolates IS what they are doing, and that approach is EXACTLY what Superman needs in a movie. We WOULD be skeptical, and likely terrified, of a god like alien showing up on Earth.

There would also be those who fully embraced him.

Superman needs to EARN our trust, not because of who HE is, but because of who WE are. In the end, he will be embraced by the good in us, and those few who resent him will remain cynical.

The approach will also showcase the difference between being skeptical vs cynical, which is, imo, a good thing to showcase.

This is, assuming, HOPING, thy go that approach with Luthor; having him resent Superman, distrusting him, thinking it should be MAN we look up to; failing to see how Superman can bring out the good in us, he is blinded by his own hubris in wanting to be man's "saviour" himself, and it poisons him, and fuels his own greed and cements his megalomania.

At least that's how I want to see Luthor and Superman.

__________________
"Your training is nothing! Will is everything...the will to act!"

CBM: BatLantern28
Twitter: Illusive_Man_1
XBL: DarkKnight FTW
DarkKnight FTW is offline  
Old 02-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #447
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious
 
LibidoLoca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 13,945
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

So Latino Review hints Zack or Shane are possibly up for JL...

__________________
BRYAN SINGER | ZACK SNYDER | JOSS WHEDON
APOCALYPSE | DAWN OF JUSTICE | AGE OF ULTRON
*\S/T*
LibidoLoca is offline  
Old 02-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #448
HighFivingMF
Welp.
 
HighFivingMF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 14,061
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
So Latino Review hints Zack or Shane are possibly up for JL...
Shane who? And where do they hint this?

__________________
I like Ben Affleck.
HighFivingMF is offline  
Old 02-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #449
DarkKnight FTW
Lantern Honor Guard
 
DarkKnight FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Right Behind You
Posts: 816
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
Shane who? And where do they hint this?
Shane Black. I believe they tweeted that yesterday. Shane Black would do it if Zack passes.

__________________
"Your training is nothing! Will is everything...the will to act!"

CBM: BatLantern28
Twitter: Illusive_Man_1
XBL: DarkKnight FTW
DarkKnight FTW is offline  
Old 02-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #450
Kane52630
Silver Shamrock User
 
Kane52630's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Skynet
Posts: 68,172
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

If that news is true (which I don't buy because it's Lantio Review) then that sounds awesome.

__________________
THRILLER
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Kane52630 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. Đ2014 All Rights Reserved.