The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 11:26 PM   #426
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone View Post
The look on Cavill's face in your avatar fits that scene perfectly.
Totally.

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Old 02-01-2013, 01:49 AM   #427
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

The scene from Birthright would be awesome to see done, but it would have to be story-related. No more random rescue/show-off montages. That's from the past.

That doesnt mean we cant have small time rescue stuff, but again let it be part of the story and not just thrown in there because it's tradition. I'm thinking Smallville could show some of the above, with intimate human elements.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:48 AM   #428
EtherMagic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shield View Post
Totally.

Thats an awesome AV from the Toy/box art. I really hope they based that box art off of an actual scene in the movie, would be awesome to see Henry with such a kickass serious ready for battle look going on!

"But there is nothing wrong with making a film about him a bit edgier and less corny."
Old 02-01-2013, 03:20 AM   #429
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

It's beautiful is what it is. The slightly messed up hair seriously gives it a Jim Lee feel.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 02-01-2013, 06:46 AM   #430
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetard View Post
Has this article been posted already?

http://theflickcast.com/2013/01/30/e...rner-brothers/
God, I disagree with that article on almost every level.

For one thing, I do not accept that Batman and Superman are polar opposites. They both have a no kill policy, they both fight for justice and they both have a fake face they show the world by day. They a lot in common, which is why they are such good friends and work so well together.

Yes, Batman is a darker hero and his methods might be different, but I think calling them polar opposites is kind of shallow.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 02-01-2013, 06:49 AM   #431
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Besides, the article uses only one of the many things Goyer/Nolan/Snyder have said about Supes and MoS, and out of context at that. Boo.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:59 AM   #432
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
Besides, the article uses only one of the many things Goyer/Nolan/Snyder have said about Supes and MoS, and out of context at that. Boo.
Yup!

I resent his last comment about it not being a film for the fans. I'm a fan, and this film looks to be everything I want from a Supes film so far!

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 02-01-2013, 07:01 AM   #433
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

I've started reading more Supes stuff recently and just the trailers have 60% shots taken straight from the comics. So f**k that.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:03 AM   #434
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

How would you guys feel if MOS just ends up sort of a mid-level success? Just good enough to warrant a sequel but not really leaving much of an impact with the audiences?

I'm thinking sort of like TASM this past summer and even that still grossed about $750 million dollars WW.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:05 AM   #435
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

If it guarantees a sequel and I like it or love it, I could care less how masses feel.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:05 AM   #436
JAKŪ
Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
How would you guys feel if MOS just ends up sort of a mid-level success? Just good enough to warrant a sequel but not really leaving much of an impact with the audiences?

I'm thinking sort of like TASM this past summer and even that still grossed about $750 million dollars WW.
Like Batman Begins?

Old 02-01-2013, 07:07 AM   #437
Project862006
Banned User

whats much an impact?

stark trek imo wasn't much of a success 385 million WW on a 150 million dollar budget

and people loved it with great word of mouth

Old 02-01-2013, 07:11 AM   #438
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKŪ View Post
Like Batman Begins?
Batman Begins was an unusual case that grew very strongly with word or mouth which translated into high video sales. It was almost the last of its kind as a blockbuster, as the home video market is a shell of itself from even 5-6 years ago.

Now films don't have the luxury to "grow" after their initial release. It's really all or nothing.

I bought up TASM mainly due to the fact that it made money but it just didn't feel like it had much impact if that's possible?

Old 02-01-2013, 07:13 AM   #439
Glassjaw
In training

Quote:

Talk about a one sided argument. He's taken one quote and ran with it. What about the interviews where they've said what worked for Batman won't necessarily work for Superman, and that he is an unabashed hero? Ofcourse everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I can't stand the way he presents his opinion as fact, backing it up with one measly source (the Empire article.)

Old 02-01-2013, 07:17 AM   #440
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
I bought up TASM mainly due to the fact that it made money but it just didn't feel like it had much impact if that's possible?
It is. TASM and Hobbit. But MoS leans on the BB side, rather than the TASM one at this point, I think.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:18 AM   #441
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassjaw View Post
backing it up with one measly source (part of the Empire article.)
Fixed. Guy's unprofessional to boot.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:00 AM   #442
Smallville13
Side-Kick

I think the tone they're going for is similar to the source material too (For All Seasons, Peace of Earth, Birthright). There's nothing that really denotes it as a TDK-style film either really. I don't recall seeing any of that beautiful daylight imagery of farmland and the like in TDK.

As for saving kittens out've trees and stopping robbers. I'm going to say perhaps during his younger Smallville years and/or Alaska period. Only because I think the whole 'why the world needs Superman' will be the 'higher form of war' Zod brings to Earth.

Also going back to the beginning of the TDK takeover the last couple pages, I think Superman shouldn't be accepted and loved by everyone. Not even by the end of the film. It just wouldn't be very realistic. I think there would be a sort of quiet understanding and apprehensive nod of appreciation for saving Metropolis by bystanders. But they have every right to still fear and mistrust him. It's just how it would be in our society.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #443
Zionite1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
Only because I think the whole 'why the world needs Superman' will be the 'higher form of war' Zod brings to Earth.
I personally hope not.So basically Superman exists to fight alien invasions.That seems more in line with Greeen lantern.

What i want is for MOS to show tht the world is suffering and needs a Superman and not because Zod showed up.

One idea i had on how it cld be handled is to potray the earth as a dying planet.L ooking at our world its not that hard a leap-Potray the world as one that frequently suffers natural disaterss causing despair around the world.As a result of the disasters we have evil people taking advantage of it to cause chaos around the world.Basically the world is in a Dark place before Zod shows up.Superman becomes a hero to change all that

Old 02-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #444
gdw
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassjaw View Post
Quote:

Talk about a one sided argument. He's taken one quote and ran with it. What about the interviews where they've said what worked for Batman won't necessarily work for Superman, and that he is an unabashed hero? Ofcourse everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I can't stand the way he presents his opinion as fact, backing it up with one measly source (the Empire article.)
I disagree with the article's author's opinion, not because I think he is extrapolating the wrong conclusion (beside the "brooding" melancholy he thinks Superman will be exhibiting in the end), but rather because I think that what he extrapolates IS what they are doing, and that approach is EXACTLY what Superman needs in a movie. We WOULD be skeptical, and likely terrified, of a god like alien showing up on Earth.

There would also be those who fully embraced him.

Superman needs to EARN our trust, not because of who HE is, but because of who WE are. In the end, he will be embraced by the good in us, and those few who resent him will remain cynical.

The approach will also showcase the difference between being skeptical vs cynical, which is, imo, a good thing to showcase.

This is, assuming, HOPING, thy go that approach with Luthor; having him resent Superman, distrusting him, thinking it should be MAN we look up to; failing to see how Superman can bring out the good in us, he is blinded by his own hubris in wanting to be man's "saviour" himself, and it poisons him, and fuels his own greed and cements his megalomania.

At least that's how I want to see Luthor and Superman.

Thanks Cconn, for the avvy.

"Originally we wanted Bill Murray to play Batman." - Jon Peters.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #445
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:

I refuse to read articles written by a guy who dresses like Silent Bob. I think that's just good practice for everything in life.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #446
DarkKnight FTW
Lantern Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
I disagree with the article's author's opinion, not because I think he is extrapolating the wrong conclusion (beside the "brooding" melancholy he thinks Superman will be exhibiting in the end), but rather because I think that what he extrapolates IS what they are doing, and that approach is EXACTLY what Superman needs in a movie. We WOULD be skeptical, and likely terrified, of a god like alien showing up on Earth.

There would also be those who fully embraced him.

Superman needs to EARN our trust, not because of who HE is, but because of who WE are. In the end, he will be embraced by the good in us, and those few who resent him will remain cynical.

The approach will also showcase the difference between being skeptical vs cynical, which is, imo, a good thing to showcase.

This is, assuming, HOPING, thy go that approach with Luthor; having him resent Superman, distrusting him, thinking it should be MAN we look up to; failing to see how Superman can bring out the good in us, he is blinded by his own hubris in wanting to be man's "saviour" himself, and it poisons him, and fuels his own greed and cements his megalomania.

At least that's how I want to see Luthor and Superman.

CBM: BatLantern28
Twitter: Illusive_Man_1
XBL: DarkKnight FTW
Old 02-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #447
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

So Latino Review hints Zack or Shane are possibly up for JL...

Old 02-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #448
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
So Latino Review hints Zack or Shane are possibly up for JL...
Shane who? And where do they hint this?

Old 02-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #449
DarkKnight FTW
Lantern Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
Shane who? And where do they hint this?
Shane Black. I believe they tweeted that yesterday. Shane Black would do it if Zack passes.

CBM: BatLantern28
Twitter: Illusive_Man_1
XBL: DarkKnight FTW
Old 02-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #450
Kane52630
Silver Shamrock User

If that news is true (which I don't buy because it's Lantio Review) then that sounds awesome.

Closed Thread