The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 05:19 PM   #101
conan69
Cimmerian

Default Re: Girl gone ROGUE Thread (ANNA PAQUIN's BACK!)

Right. I was just editing my post when I read your comment. Singer said hes had long conversations with Cameron about "time travel, string theory, multiverse".

It doesnt mean ignoring TLS, however it doesnt mean what happened in that film is etched in stone definitive either.

Superman Returns was a example of Singer acknowledging or using past films as a foundation or backstory to tell a story he wants to tell, without relying on the previous films as definitive.

Last edited by conan69; 01-31-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:26 PM   #102
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan69 View Post
Singer specifically used the words "clean up" with these characters and the storylines. That can mean alot of things. We dont know yet. Everything is speculation right now. "Futuristic" scenes and "alternate timelines" are really just words used to describe the "future segments". If theyve specifially said no alternate timeline, I havent read or heard it. Have a link?
Bryan Singer already said he's taking every movie into account, he's taking into account the entire universe as it’s been laid out so far on the screen, and really respecting it and trying to work with that. He's not gonna said that and then go to DOFP, with a different timeline as if the events of the original trilogy didn't happen. Obviously some of you aren't done with possibility of DOFP existing in an alternate universe when the director already said that he's not ignoring any films. DOFP will start in the same timeline as the other six X-Men movies, whether there is going to be an alternate universe after the events of DOFP is still a question.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/

Last edited by psylockolussus; 01-31-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:38 PM   #103
X4ever
Newbie First Class

Quote:
There hasnt been any mention of Collosus or Storm, so I wouldnt be suprised if those roles ended up going to Iceman and Rogue, who are working with Wolverine. Movie Wolv & Rogue have a special bond. I wouldnt be suprised to see Rogue taking over the Collosus role of the story. Giving her the super strength fans were clamoring for previously and it serves a purpose storywise to have a strength character when dealing with giant robots.
Good point conan69. I think it would make sense for Rogue to fill in for Colossus and for Iceman to fill in for Storm because their powers are similar to each other in the comics. Hey this could be why Anna Paquin signed on right away. I heard she was almost not in X3 because she tried to get out of it by starring in a movie that coincided with X3's shooting schedule. If she's not going to work on another project that will coincide with DOFP that must mean she's pleased with Rogue's treatment this time.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:01 PM   #104
conan69
Cimmerian

Quote:
Obviously some of you aren't done with possibility of DOFP existing in an alternate universe when the director already said that he's not ignoring any films
And you dont seem to understand that we didnt say he would ignore anything. A alternate timeline does not mean ignoring TLS. Theyre seperate.

He can go a few routes here...acknowledge and reference previous films without keeping them as gospel. He can always change things he wants to change for sequences that happening after we left the characters in TLS. A simple explanation of the Cure not being permanent allows for alot of wiggle room with Rogue..

This doesnt include a alternate timeline, multiverse... use whatever word you want. But in this scenario, there arent any rules, and Singer is quoted as saying he's interesting in those ideas.

BTW why would he say one thing and do another?... you mean like when they lied about Cyclops in TLS. Not saying Singers doing that, just saying that they want to keep the story under wraps, so...

Last edited by conan69; 01-31-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:55 PM   #105
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
And you dont seem to understand that we didnt say he would ignore anything. A alternate timeline does not mean ignoring TLS. Theyre seperate.
So are you saying that DOFP will be in a different timeline and it is just not a direct sequel to Last Stand. Doesn't make sense if Singer told us that he will take every movie into account then DOFP will be a different universe/timeline than Last Stand. Why would they separate them if they are really taking every movie into account?

Last edited by psylockolussus; 01-31-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:42 PM   #106
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

^Finally someone else says what I've been saying for a while and getting a bit over-the-top passionate about recently.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:27 PM   #107
Angamb
Banned User

too much closed minded on the board lately for my liking

"Singer wont do this" "this actress wont come back to the franchise" "Fox wont adress this" "Singer wont adress that relationship"...

some users really take the fun out of the board

EVERYTHING is possible. Please, open a bit your minds, and let everyone share their opinions, without saying Singer wont do this or Fox wont do that.

Please, and thanks.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:41 PM   #108
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

You are the last person here that shouldn't be saying that especially you showcase your reasons with so much positive-thinking and almost zero realistic thinking and in the next few weeks, you'll change your opinion like you always did in the past.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:46 AM   #109
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

I am praying that they give her a good wig to wear that doesnt look to fake or ridiculous.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:03 AM   #110
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

One way they could make Rogue more kick-ass is have her absorb the powers of Storm and Colossus when those two are killed fighting Sentinels. That way, Rogue has strength (from Colossus), flight (from Storm) - and also some weather-manipulating powers.

That could be what they are doing if Halle/Storm isn't coming back.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:10 AM   #111
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:

He can go a few routes here...acknowledge and reference previous films without keeping them as gospel. He can always change things he wants to change for sequences that happening after we left the characters in TLS. A simple explanation of the Cure not being permanent allows for alot of wiggle room with Rogue..

This doesnt include a alternate timeline, multiverse... use whatever word you want. But in this scenario, there arent any rules, and Singer is quoted as saying he's interesting in those ideas.

BTW why would he say one thing and do another?... you mean like when they lied about Cyclops in TLS. Not saying Singers doing that, just saying that they want to keep the story under wraps, so...
It seems more likely the future is after TLS, and then for that future and the existing trilogy to be changed by the time travel into the past, creating a clean slate of an alternate timeline in which Cyclops and Jean could be alive.

That seems more logical, because the time travel gets rid of TLS and XMO: Wolverine and creates a brand new continuity with much more freedom and where the deaths/curings of X3 didn't happen.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #112
JP
Smelly

Bingo^

Old 02-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #113
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

^ I've already made my feelings on this issue crystal clear and won't go there again, although I will say that I have yet to see anyone present evidence to back up this certainty that Singer and FOX are going to splinter the continuity.

On the Rogue front, I actually like the idea having had her absorb Storm and Colossus' powers as was suggested above.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #114
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
^ I've already made my feelings on this issue crystal clear and won't go there again, although I will say that I have yet to see anyone present evidence to back up this certainty that Singer and FOX are going to splinter the continuity.
It's not to do with having evidence, it just seems more plausible. Fans want James/Cyclops and Famke/Phoenix back and for that to happen, the events of X3 have to be undone.

The other option is for the future to be an alternate timeline where Cyclops and Jean never died, but that's rather limited and gives those characters only a fleeting reappearance if that future gets changed/overwritten in the course of the film.

Of course, they could go in all sorts of directions, we just don't know. For instance, the quotation shown on the front of the screenplay suggested that humans would be the ones under threat, not mutants. If that is taken literally - and why was it on the front of the script if it doesn't mean something significant? - there might be an option where mutants rule the future, humankind is dying out, and one normal human travels into the past to unleash Sentinels and save normal humanity. I rather like that option, as it seems closer to what might happen in reality if a superpowered species of human emerged: the rest of us (non-mutants) would become extinct! Just as happened with Neanderthal and Cro-Magnon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
On the Rogue front, I actually like the idea having had her absorb Storm and Colossus' powers as was suggested above.
I suggested that... and it could be one way of getting round the 'Halle issue', but the cast does need some ethnic diversity somewhere, as well as powerful characters to take on Sentinels.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #115
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Bishop!

Old 02-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #116
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
One way they could make Rogue more kick-ass is have her absorb the powers of Storm and Colossus when those two are killed fighting Sentinels. That way, Rogue has strength (from Colossus), flight (from Storm) - and also some weather-manipulating powers.

That could be what they are doing if Halle/Storm isn't coming back.

As I've mentioned in another thread, since when has Rogue been able to pick and choose which powers she absorbs? It's all or nothing. If she gets Colossus's strength it will be his metal as well, not just one part of it. And if it were somehow selective, how do you know she won't end up as metal-weather-controlling Rogue with no super strength or flying ability?

If she wants strength and flying ability she needs to absorb someone with powers similar to Ms Marvel. Which mutants are there around like that? Or maybe they'll have to create one who dies at the start of the movie just so Rogue can acquire those powers.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #117
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Yes that's my idea!

Old 02-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #118
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

X-Maniac, why does a splintered continuity seem like the most plausible scenario when you have Singer saying that he's acknowledging all of the existing films, you have The Wolverine taking place after TLS and featuring a cameo from Famke, and you have FOX having given zero indication that they have any interest in creating anything other than a singular continuity for the franchise?

Old 02-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #119
X4ever
Newbie First Class

Yes we already know Carol Danvers aka Ms Marvel can't be used because of right issues. The only mutant I can think of that comes closest to her powerwise is M. I think she could very easily fill in for Ms Marvel. However, if Rogue can gain an extra powerset from anybody I will be so thrilled. Some alternate universe comics change who it is she permanently absorbs and I'm pleased with that.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #120
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

I don't think Anna would have signed on if she didn't have a role with more authority and action in it.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #121
Super Film
Side-Kick

Honestly, I could see Anna Paquin signing on NOT knowing what her role would entail, because Singer is back. Considering he's still working the script after having announced her return, she may not know what's going to happen.

For all we know, Rogue get's a great death scene and that's the extent of her return to the series.

I'm bracing myself for the worst, while in my head I'm remaining cautiously optimistic regarding her character--Rogue, for me, has been one of the hearts of this series.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #122
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4ever View Post
Yes we already know Carol Danvers aka Ms Marvel can't be used because of right issues. The only mutant I can think of that comes closest to her powerwise is M. I think she could very easily fill in for Ms Marvel. However, if Rogue can gain an extra powerset from anybody I will be so thrilled. Some alternate universe comics change who it is she permanently absorbs and I'm pleased with that.
How can it be 'singular' if Singer is talking multiverses. At least one end of the film will be an alternate reality - either the future will be alternate and then prevented by actions in the past, or the future will be post-X3 and a new reality created by preventing that future happening.

How on earth are you envisaging anything 'singular' if there is a dystopian future being prevented?

Old 02-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #123
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Film View Post
Honestly, I could see Anna Paquin signing on NOT knowing what her role would entail, because Singer is back. Considering he's still working the script after having announced her return, she may not know what's going to happen.

For all we know, Rogue get's a great death scene and that's the extent of her return to the series.

I'm bracing myself for the worst, while in my head I'm remaining cautiously optimistic regarding her character--Rogue, for me, has been one of the hearts of this series.
Yes that could happen.

Like for example, Ryan Reynolds signing up for Origins and he said he was really disappointed when he practiced using swords for months and only got do 1 scene with it. Some of the actors will sign the contract without knowing how large their role is.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #124
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

X-Maniac: Singer mentions string theory, multiverses, etc. specifically in the context of bringing the FC and OXT casts together.

Go watch Back to the Future Pt. 2, the TV series Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, and the Star Trek The Next Generation episode Yesterday's Enterprise for examples of ways DoFP can be handled without disrupting the current singular continuity of the franchise.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:44 PM   #125
gkokujin
Side-Kick

Its possible Rogue could BE the time traveler. She could absorb someones power who dies or the backlash of her power used with or against another mutants power creates a rift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateJustin View Post
no kid in fifteen years will recall what was going on in the haze of animated card game shows where cat faced japanese children yelled annoyingly and danced around and shot mushrooms out of their mouths.
Closed Thread