The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Old 11-29-2009, 04:39 AM   #51
Timstuff
Banned User

Default Re: Friday The 13th Video Game

Still, it will probably deliver a heckuvalot more than an actual licensed Jason game could. In many ways it's an homage to slasher horror flicks and the main character was clearly designed after Jason, however the big difference is that it's got a premise that was made for gameplay. Friday The 13th's story does not accomodate gameplay, which is why there are barely any games based on it (and the ones that do exist are crap). There's nothing in the F13 movies that screams "this could work as a video game." It's basically a movie about a man chopping up a bunch of horny, defenseless teenagers. There's no challenge to be had in there, and no sport. You can't make a survival horror game where there's only one enemy, and you can't make an action game where all of the enemies are helpless, virtually innocent civilians. There'd be no sport in killing camp counselors for 12 hours, and players would probably not identify with Jason as a playable character since he is twisted, amoral, and kills people just because he hates sex. On paper it's a bad idea, and in practice it would probably be even worse.

Last edited by Timstuff; 11-29-2009 at 04:43 AM.
Timstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:24 AM   #52
Soapy
It's happening again...

Having thought about it, I've come up with a couple of ways of doing a Friday the 13th video game. Neither of them from Jason's point of view. Both of them bad.

Option A: An adventure game like Heavy Rain. You play as a character investigating Camp Crystal Lake. Pro: Lots of room for creepy atmosphere and terrifying encounters with Jason. Con: Not the type of game fans of slasher movies would appreciate.

Option B: An action/horror game where you find yourself stranded at Camp Crystal Lake and you have to deal with a bunch of hockey mask-wearing Jason-worshiping cultists. Pro: Potentially a lot of blood and gore. Con: Too dissimilar from the source material and it wouldn't really evoke the feeling and mood of a horror movie.

Option C: The best option in my opinion. Don't make it. A Friday the 13th video game is a terrible, stupid idea and should never be seriously considered.

Last edited by Soapy; 11-29-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:48 PM   #53
Fresh Prince
Banned User

People obviously you did not read my Ash Campbell idea....You play as him in the game fighting demons, zombies and Jason....While helping out the campers...Also Tommy Jarvis can appear in the game helping you out along with that chick with telekenisis.

Fresh Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:21 PM   #54
Tron Bonne
There's Evil Here. Within

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamar141 View Post
Option A: An adventure game like Heavy Rain. You play as a character investigating Camp Crystal Lake. Pro: Lots of room for creepy atmosphere and terrifying encounters with Jason. Con: Not the type of game fans of slasher movies would appreciate.
I would love to see something like this set in the vein of the TV show.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Tron Bonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:02 PM   #55
Fresh Prince
Banned User

Or they could make a munsters game in the veins of something like Street Fighter for example...Were you have all your horror icons and pick one to fight the other...Like Pinhead vs. Dracula for example.

Fresh Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:44 PM   #56
Thundarr
Side-Kick

First off, this has been done with another legendary horror film . . . Jaws. I think it was for PS2. You played as the shark and swam around eating swimmers and boaters. I'm not sure what the challenges were in that game (never played it, just saw commercials for it). I'm guessing maybe shark hunters?

Anyway, if you want to have a video game based on Friday The 13th, I suggest basing it on the Darkhorse comics rather than the actual movies. Specifically, the first story arc entitled "Blood Bath". A bunch of teens are hired to fix up Camp Crystal Lake for the grand reopening. Turns out they were hired as bait, so that the military could capture Jason. Now in the game version you have two sets of targets. The teenagers, and the soldiers. Obviously, the soldiers are the more difficult to kill. I think THAT could work.

Thundarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:05 AM   #57
Thundarr
Side-Kick

Bump

Old 01-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #58
masterthehero
Superheroine Book Author

Why are you bumping a 4 year old thread dude?

masterthehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #59
Lord
All Mighty

I allways had an idea for a Friday the 13th game where you played as Jason, a stealth game similar to Batman: Arkham Asylum and City but way more brutal, at first you have the campers and some people around crystal lake, then as your kills increase stronger oponents begin to appear, including cops, marines, etc

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:11 PM   #60
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Just reposting this, as it was the best thing said in this thread:

Quote:
Option C: The best option in my opinion. Don't make it. A Friday the 13th video game is a terrible, stupid idea and should never be seriously considered.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #61
Thundarr
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterthehero View Post
Why are you bumping a 4 year old thread dude?
Because I felt like it. Been watching the movies lately and wanted to see if anything new had been written on a potential game.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #62
Thundarr
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPat2280 View Post
Just reposting this, as it was the best thing said in this thread:
I disagree, both with the quote and with your opinion of it.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #63
Thundarr
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
I allways had an idea for a Friday the 13th game where you played as Jason, a stealth game similar to Batman: Arkham Asylum and City but way more brutal, at first you have the campers and some people around crystal lake, then as your kills increase stronger oponents begin to appear, including cops, marines, etc
^^This!^^

The game idea has potential. The game developers just have to find a way to harness that potential. If you can play a car thief who bashes people in the head with a tire iron to steal their cars in Grand Theft Auto, play Rembrant tagging property and mugging civilians in The Warriors, and play a giant shark eating swimmers in Jaws, why not play Jason Voorhees killing campers in a Friday The 13th game?

Start off just killing campers in level one. If they see you before you can attack them, they'll run away and you'll have to chase them. If they can get to a weapon (the axe at the woodpile, the rifle on the gun rack, the meat cleaver in the kitchen, etc), they can turn around and fight back.

Level two, the town sheriff and his deputies are there with the paramedics to clean up the mess you made. Now you have to kill the paramedics, and the better armed and more difficult deputies.

Level three, the state troopers are there. No more paramedics, now all of your targets are armed and dangerous.

Level four, the FBI and SWAT team are called in.

Level five, the National Guard is called in.

Level six, the army.

Level seven, the marine corps.

And so on and so forth.

It could work.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #64
Piper Maru
Side-Kick

The final level has you facing off against Steven Seagal and Chuck Norris!

Piper Maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:48 PM   #65
Thundarr
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper Maru View Post
The final level has you facing off against Steven Seagal and Chuck Norris!
Jason vs Chuck Norris? Shortest fight ever! Finally, Jason gets put down and can't get back up.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #66
Thundarr
Side-Kick

I just found a couple of horror based video games available for download on the internet.

One of them is a Halloween game where you play as Michael Myers, in much the same way we've been discussing on this thread. It looks like a work in progress, but it ought to give you an idea of what a Friday The 13th game would look like.

The other is a "Mortal Kombat" style game, where slasher movie killers square of in one on one battles. You can play as Jason, Michael Myers, Leatherface, Ghost Face, Chucky, Freddy, etc. I haven't tried downloading it, but the trailer for it looks pretty cool.

I'll try and upload a link next time. I can't right now as I'm on my mobile phone.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:02 AM   #67
Thundarr
Side-Kick

The Halloween game is being produced by Pig Farmer Games. The game, or at least a brief demo for it, can be downloaded off of their website, www.pigfarmergames.com. It'll at least give you an idea of what a Friday The 13th video game would be like.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:12 AM   #68
Thundarr
Side-Kick

The other game I mentioned is complete (though it constantly gets updated) is called Terror Drome. It can be downloaded at www.terrordrome-thegame.com.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #69
Alchemyst
Sarah Connor?

I dunno about this one, I cant really see another Friday the 13th game. Jason is virtually unstoppable, so even if you were to beat the game, he would just ultimately come back lol.

People on the net would argue about the sky being blue if all other subjects were exhausted. The last suit was beautiful and if how it was made is a problem for them, I suggest they start watching docu-dramas about nuns in the war. You can suspend disbelief about flying and laser eyes and blue men with small penises being able to see time as a whole, but you can't let slide about how someone stitches a leotard. The mind boggles.
Alchemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #70
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemyst View Post
I dunno about this one, I cant really see another Friday the 13th game. Jason is virtually unstoppable, so even if you were to beat the game, he would just ultimately come back lol.
That's why you would be playing as him

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 07-12-2013, 11:51 PM   #71
Thundarr
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
That's why you would be playing as him
I was gonna say that but you beat me to it.

Hey Alchemyst! Try checking out the link to Pig Farmer Games I had posted earlier. They have two Halloween games where you play as Michael Myers. This game would be the same sort of thing, only with Jason.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:06 AM   #72
Fans of Reilly
Side-Kick

I was thinking just makes the game during Jason X time line You can play as Jason and opponents are Space Marines or as Space Marine that Was called to investigate murders occurred in military facility in the planet that we see Jason X. fell in the end of the film

Fans of Reilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:48 PM   #73
Alchemyst
Sarah Connor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr View Post
I was gonna say that but you beat me to it.

Hey Alchemyst! Try checking out the link to Pig Farmer Games I had posted earlier. They have two Halloween games where you play as Michael Myers. This game would be the same sort of thing, only with Jason.
I checked them out, it looks pretty cool. Now the thing is, if there were to be a Friday the 13th game, who would you want developing it?

People on the net would argue about the sky being blue if all other subjects were exhausted. The last suit was beautiful and if how it was made is a problem for them, I suggest they start watching docu-dramas about nuns in the war. You can suspend disbelief about flying and laser eyes and blue men with small penises being able to see time as a whole, but you can't let slide about how someone stitches a leotard. The mind boggles.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #74
Alchemyst
Sarah Connor?

Thundarr, how about we put Jason on the back burner and use Michael Myers instead?

Check it out, they could make a game that covers Halloween all the way through Resurrection. The game could have you start off as young Michael and it's basically like an open tutorial. Each time you complete a level, that determines what type of mask you get. If you're on the first mission and you kill only Michael's sister and do not harm the others, you get a full white mask since you played closer to Carpenter's Halloween. If you go in slashing everyone in the house, you get the dirty, tattered Rob Zombie mask. They could also have different terms for the ranking system "The Shape" is basically going through a mission with no alerts and stealth kills, "The Curse" is the lowest rating you can get meaning you murdered everyone who crossed you. The object of the game would be to see which do you lean towards, Carpenter's or Zombies all while giving you the freedom to off victims any way you want, certain kills should impact the story as well and possibly change events. Since Michael Myers never made an appearance in Halloween 3, a story can be created solely for the game to fill in the gap.

As far as the gameplay, I would say the gameplay itself should be similar to Manhunt, the longer you hold down the attack button determines exactly what type of kill you will perform. There should also be environmental kills as well. Also, the reason why I say Michael Myers is because to me he is the more interesting character IMO, Jason is pretty much a mindless zombie to a degree. Even though it's been explained why Michael is the way he is, he's still pretty psycho and I find him more creepier than Jason.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #75
Lord
All Mighty

I think Friday the 13th has more potencial for a vídeo game, Jason uses a bigger variety of weapons and kills, the setting also has more potencial in this kind of game, and Jason is a bigger killing machine, he's almost unbeatable, which is why it would make sence for cops and then the army start to appear.

Halloween is slower, while Friday the 13th is all about the kills, making it work better. It's not really about which character is better but what franchise would work better as a vídeo game, and i think Friday the 13th does, Halloween i could see as a mini vídeo game like the ones featured in Orange Box, but i don't think it could hold an entire vídeo game like Jason.