Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episode VII

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 01:31 AM   #901
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Default Re: J.J. Abrams to Direct Star Wars Episode VII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
Depending on how Episode VII is handled (and the others for that matter) I don't necessarily think you have to discard the feeling of finality with Jedi. That movie will likely remain as the conclusion to the Original Trilogy even if there are sequels after it. I expect this new trilogy to have its own arc and structure while still being apart of this grand narrative. Just look at the jump between ROTS and Star Wars. Star Wars doesn't feel like a sequel to that film, it feels like its own beast and the beginning of another, related story.
I think you're right. I guess I had just settled into viewing 1-6 as one big story, the rise, fall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker, and the rise and fall of the Empire. Right now I'm wondering if there will be a central figure in the new trilogy that could have a larger story that expands into the potential episodes 10, 11 and 12. Or if once all the new movies are done, there'll be a larger way of framing the entire saga...or if the saga will ever truly end now, for that matter.

I guess my issue is, by making this film Episode VII, it is positioning itself as a direct continuation of the Star Wars saga we all know, so while "rebooting" the series it does have to work as a sequel to what came before too. Otherwise they could have just called this Episode XVI and it could have really existed in its own bubble, perhaps with distant relatives of the Skywalkers/Solos. In fact if they really wanted to go full reboot with it that would probably be the best approach, since one of the special qualities of A New Hope was how it was designed as being a single chapter of a larger serial that we're just catching the middle of.

I'm glad it is Episode VII, cause I'd like to see the old cast return as much as the next fan. I'm just curious as to how this will effect our view of the saga in the big picture. Could end up enriching it even more if handled right. And you're right, A New Hope does feel like its own thing when viewed after ROTS. It's crazy how a few months ago I thought I knew everything about the Star Wars saga, and right now it's back to knowing nothing. Very cool feeling.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158

Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 02-02-2013 at 01:36 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #902
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetre15 View Post
^ This.....Completely this. Last semester I watched all 6 of those films and the Original Trilogy kept my attention and I still enjoyed the hell out of it. When I watched the prequel trilogy I could barely pay attention to anything but the fight scenes. Not to mention the CGI in that film didnt age as well as the practical effects in the original trilogy. And unlike Mark Hamill whom only delivered one "bad" line in my Opinion(i.e NOOO!!!!), Hayden Christensen is so stiff that his own shadow isnt convinced that he can act. So yeah....I pretty much agree that the OT still holds up better than the PT.
I'll disagree with the "Nooo!" part, to me it's so iconic and Shakespearean, I actually thought that line seemed charged with real emotion. I could just feel Luke's frustration, confusion and anger all in one. But to eaches own.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #903
regwec
Shakespearo

Yeah, that "Nooooo" was earned, and delivered with a genuine repulsion by Hamill. Contrast it with the shrill and unconvincing "Gandalf: Noooooooooooo" from Elijah Wood.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #904
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Heterosexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to the Opposite Sex
Homosexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to the Same Sex
Bisexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to Both Sexes
Hype-osexual - A Person More Sexually Excited By CBM Photos/Trailers Than Any Man or Woman Could Ever Hope To Make Them

Old 02-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #905
dnno1
Side-Kick

No caption thread?

Old 02-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #906
georgec
Not a hero

^ Someone on reddit already fixed that for you!

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #907
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

With anything in Hollywood money is a part of it...well hell let's not fool ourselves lending any of our services as well. Without a doubt whoever was going to get this was going to get money. JJ and some bigger directors don't necessarily need a lot, especially how many TV shows films under Bad Robot he has. With him and many directors, they could have gotten work elsewhere and made great money. With this though I think it was the passion of Star Wars, and Spielberg convincing him to do it.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #908
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Dump trucks filled with money.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 02-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #909
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Abrams is a proper fan. I love that he takes it on despite all the other stuff he has going on.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #910
Spider-Vader
Mercin' & Workin'

I don't think money had anything to do with Abrams signing up, it's definitely his passion for the series. He said no because he didn't think he was up to the task, Kennedy obviously thought otherwise.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #911
georgec
Not a hero

I think he said no because he knew that having done ST already would be a controversial point among fans. It was probably the hardest thing he's ever turned down or said. But Abrams always has said SW is most dear to him. After some convincing by Kennedy and Spielberg, he agreed.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #912
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Ya it was not that he thought he could not do it. It was more of his schedule, Kathy did say that he had a lot on his plate and was worried about personal things more so, like his family. But they got him to do it.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:35 AM   #913
sweetre15
Positive Page

How happy are y'all that Lawrence Kasdan is a consultant on this? apparently that was also what convinced Abrams

Old 02-03-2013, 02:08 AM   #914
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
Here was some unused/never completed stuff. Here was what the "Imperial City" looked like in concept before they changed it.

Stunning! I've never seen these before, McQuarrie?

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 02-03-2013, 05:08 AM   #915
Octoberist
point blank

Who else wants Larry Fong to come back as the DP/Cinematographer instead of JJ's usual guy. Not to say that the usual guy isnt' good because both Star Trek movies look great. But to get a different feel and tone, perhaps JJ should rely on Fong.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #916
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
Stunning! I've never seen these before, McQuarrie?
Yep. He is the man isn't he?

Old 02-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #917
Spider-Gnome
The Arach-Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
The impact Star Wars has had on Abrams:

http://www.starwars7news.com/2013/01...-j-abrams.html
After re-reading about the first time J.J. Abrams met Damon Lindelof, do you think there is any way he wouldn't allow Lindelof be involved?

The Spectacular Spider-Man:
The BEST adaptation of the Spider-Man comics in any form
Old 02-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #918
Spider-Gnome
The Arach-Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetre15 View Post
How happy are y'all that Lawrence Kasdan is a consultant on this? apparently that was also what convinced Abrams
Very! I wish he had this attitude when Lucas approached him about the prequels!

The Spectacular Spider-Man:
The BEST adaptation of the Spider-Man comics in any form
Old 02-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #919
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Vader View Post
I don't think money had anything to do with Abrams signing up, it's definitely his passion for the series. He said no because he didn't think he was up to the task, Kennedy obviously thought otherwise.
Really? Really? Not even a little bit?

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 02-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #920
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Money is always a factor.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #921
TheWiseGuy487
Electrifying!

I'm sure money did play a factor (hey, he's got to pay the bills like the rest of us).

However, knowing his love for Star Wars, I'm sure money wasn't the main factor.

5-.-2-.-14

Old 02-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #922
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

You can never be sure of anything.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #923
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Somebody always has to turn it into a money thing. I pray I never become that cynical.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 02-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #924
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Somebody always has to turn it into a money thing. I pray I never become that cynical.
Because it usually is when it comes to Hollywood. He said no a couple of months ago, now he said yes. Did his schedule become more open in that time? No. Did his passion for Star Wars change over the course of two months? No. What you call cynicism, I call realism. There is no denying he loves Star Wars and he's passionate about it but the reasons he said no a couple of months ago haven't changed. Which leaves only a few possible explanations and yes, money is one of them.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #925
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
Because it usually is when it comes to Hollywood. He said no a couple of months ago, now he said yes. Did his schedule become more open in that time? No. Did his passion for Star Wars change over the course of two months? No. What you call cynicism, I call realism. There is no denying he loves Star Wars and he's passionate about it but the reasons he said no a couple of months ago haven't changed. Which leaves only a few possible explanations and yes, money is one of them.
That or he thought about it more, that is a realistic thing that does happen in this world.

Last edited by Solidus; 02-03-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Closed Thread