The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #726
Airwings
Waves of air

Default Re: The All Encompassing AQUAMAN Movie Thread

Should the scales in the shirt sort of "reflect" light?

How about the colors, darker or lighter? Would it work with brighter or muted ones?

Last edited by Airwings; 02-01-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #727
The Guard
Side-Kick

I would think Aquaman would need several looks.

Whatever he wears on the surface world as Arthur.

The classic gold/orange "scaled" look in some fashion for recoinassance/normal hero work.

He could have a more warrior-like look complete with armored gauntlets for battle.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 02-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #728
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwings View Post
Should the scales in the shirt sort of "reflect" light?
Yeah, I think that'd be cool.

Quote:
How about the colors, darker or lighter? Would it work with bright or muted?
Hmm...good question. If the suit is going to reflect light, it doesn't have to be all that bright, does it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
I would think Aquaman would need several looks.

Whatever he wears on the surface world as Arthur.

The classic gold/orange "scaled" look in some fashion for recoinassance/normal hero work.

He could have a more warrior-like look complete with armored gauntlets for battle.
Now that I think about it, I agree that he'd need more than one outfit. He'd need the Aquaman outfit for superhero business and some kind of royal garb for when he's in Atlantis or interacting with the surface world on behalf of Atlantis. Maybe even casual attire for when he's just hanging out in his father's lighthouse with Mera?

Old 02-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #729
The Guard
Side-Kick

Yup. Some royal robes would be nice, a la KINGDOM COME.

And if I'm right
Old 02-01-2013, 10:20 PM   #730
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Question, since if I do get behind this I don't want to stray too far, would it be appropriate if his garb is the royal atlantean garb? Meaning on Earth it's seen as a costume, but in Atlantis its more ceremonial. Think the way Captain America's costume held dual purpose.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag
Old 02-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #731
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

It would depend on how you choose to portray Atlantean culture.

If you wanted to go the traditional route, then it would be inappropriate for Aquaman to go into battle in what's considered ceremonial garb.

However, if you wanted to go in a different direction, where their ceremonial clothing also happened to be armor (like Thor), it wouldn't be so out of place.

Last edited by The Boy Scout; 02-01-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:06 AM   #732
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Scout View Post
Yes.

I think they should just cut their losses and ditch them entirely.

The New 52 has it covered.

Agreed.

Eh. I think Aquaman only needs one outfit. If they want to change it to something that signifies nobility or something at the end of the first film or at the beginning of the second, that's fine, but he shouldn't have more than two outfits IMO.

Same for Wonder Woman.
I think that, like Wonder Woman, his clothing would be normal to him but appear to be a costume to us on the surface. So his culture would make him seem like he was wearing superhero costumes. But its unrealistic to think he would only wear one "costume" the whole movie. But variations that are all similar, all green and orange, all scaled and gold plated and such. Not dramatically different like Princess Amidala in Star Wars. But just variations on a theme. With Batman his Bat suit is a total costume, meant to be, same with Superman. But with Aquaman and Wonder Woman they didn't set out to be costumed heroes, they just are these heroes and they appear to be costumed because of their cultures.
Just as the Greeks or Romans (which wasn't Atlantis meant to be a part of) had different clothing than us but still more than one style:

Last edited by Artistsean; 02-02-2013 at 04:09 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:37 AM   #733
Airwings
Waves of air

Should his suit be shiny like this as well? It sure looks better than just plain colors. The belt being made of gold gives him an extra edge, and an even more regal appearance.

Last edited by Airwings; 02-02-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #734
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistsean View Post
I think that, like Wonder Woman, his clothing would be normal to him but appear to be a costume to us on the surface. So his culture would make him seem like he was wearing superhero costumes. But its unrealistic to think he would only wear one "costume" the whole movie. But variations that are all similar, all green and orange, all scaled and gold plated and such. Not dramatically different like Princess Amidala in Star Wars. But just variations on a theme. With Batman his Bat suit is a total costume, meant to be, same with Superman. But with Aquaman and Wonder Woman they didn't set out to be costumed heroes, they just are these heroes and they appear to be costumed because of their cultures.
Just as the Greeks or Romans (which wasn't Atlantis meant to be a part of) had different clothing than us but still more than one style...
Check my other posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwings View Post
Should his suit be shiny like this as well?
Again, I'd like for the top half of the costume to be made of a material that allows it to reflect light. The bottom half would just be made out of neoprene or something.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:22 AM   #735
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

Lose the dish washing cloves and go with the Gauntlets (give them purpose though!) also the shirt needs to be scaled and be Armor like. Really the Young Justice design is pretty bad ads but an amalgam of that and nu52 would be perfect.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:33 AM   #736
Project862006
Banned User

wouldn't man of steel material work well for aquaman?

Old 02-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #737
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

The MOS material looks like chainmail. Aquaman's should look like scales.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #738
Project862006
Banned User

so thor then

Old 02-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #739
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

I'd say Thor is too metallic. I really want this thing to seem "alien" and have an almost organic sense in how close it is to the skin itself. In that you wonder if it was made from fish skin, but it wasn't in-film or off-film, but has that feel. Kind of like a more protective wet-suit foundation.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag
Old 02-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #740
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

I disagree with that only because it needs to look like it would offer protection and your describing a lighter material that would seem to tear easy. Wetsuit foundation seems silly because Arthur doesn't NEED to wear this he just chooses too but he does so because it offers a tad bit of extra protection. That's my opinion.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #741
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Just explain that Atlantean fabric is tougher than ours and you're fine. Aquaman (like Superman) is one of those heroes who don't need to wear anything that looks like it offers protection.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #742
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Exactly we're talking about Atlantean stylized armor made of a material that isn't available here on Earth giving it an otherworldly approach and feel. This fabric wouldn't be easy to tear and is used because of the protection it gives them living in this form of environment.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #743
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

Except that Atlantis is on earth, can't really be otherworldly.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #744
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

Its under water, like Themiscara or the Inhuman's world, its totally isolated from the surface. Until now...

But the armor should be Earthly. Unless you introduce an idea like Vibrinium in Wakanda and Black Panther.
But Aquaman doesn't have that in his story I don't think.

What with the New 52 sort of altering things for movies, it would seem at times, I think that his costume would be complicated like most superhero costumes. Batman's armored look, Spider-Man's textured design, Amazing Spider-Man's textured design, Superman Returns and the new Man of Steel's texture and parterns design, Captain America and Hawkeye's design, Thor (up top).
So I could see them making parts of his costume harder (armor shell) like material while making other parts the scales. Like in Jim Lee's original sketch up top. I could see the shoulder parts and chest plate being different than the material on the arms.

Last edited by Artistsean; 02-02-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #745
The Guard
Side-Kick

I wouldn't mind seeing some kind of scaled "second skin" (the metaphor works, too) approach to his regular Atlantean/superhero garb.

I've never understood the orange (I mean, I get it, those colors exist in the ocean and in nature) I've just always thought it should be some kind of darker gold to make him look more regal in general. Sort of an organic second skin, designed (or grown) to withstand the pressures of the deep. It would also give him and Wonder Woman something visual in common related to their royalty (the gold).

I'm all for the idea of a regal-looking, "shell-like" armor, as we've seen in some concepts of Aquaman's potential redesign in the New 52, for serious battles.

And if I'm right
Old 02-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #746
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hush View Post
And that, I forget the percentage 90% of the earth is still uncharted due to it all being under water. If we have visited every part under water - Atlantis would have been found. On land we've adapted to an environment that is better suited to us. In sea they would have adapted to a much different environment. Also keep in mind that just with normal clothes it feels like we weigh a ton when moving through the ocean - thus, theoretically if Atlantians or anything like us they too would have adapted by using fabrics which are more light weight yet are stronger than anything we've found on dry land. And if normal clothes is heavy - armor would be even more so. They'd need to find something else more appropriate to their environment. Scientists are still discovering things all the time and most - if not all - will tell you we're just breaching the surface when it comes to discovering things deep in the abyss.

Also might not be in the story right now - but you can't use "well, this wasn't in the comics so we can't do it" - if people followed that there would be no differences ever found for better or worse. Lex Luthor would still be a mad scientist. Kryptonite wouldn't exist. And Superman wouldn't be able to fly. All only found in the radio show and then only afterwards in the comics. That's why I believe in being faithful to a point.

I'd actually work with a team of scientists to find out how the buildings and cities, clothing, etc, would have been formed and what building materials they would have used for everything if a people evolved under water rather than on dry land. Hoping to be as accurate as possible when formulating said-world among other things.

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 02-02-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #747
Airwings
Waves of air

Project862006: Thor's scales are squares. Aquaman's should be circle-shaped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hush View Post
No it can't be otherworldly, but it should appear to be. Understand the reasoning?

Old 02-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #748
GothamLantern

I have thought of an idea for an entire Aquaman trilogy! Here is the summary of the first film: When Prince Orin (Aquaman) is born to Atlanna and Atlan, King and Queen of the underwater kingdom of Atlantis, the superstitious Atlanteans and their King fear the newborn, as he is born with blond hair, supposedly marking him with the Curse of Kordax. Kordax is revealed to have been an ancient Atlantean tyrant who had been killed by Atlan decades ago. King Atlan sentences Orin to be placed on Mercy Reef, where he should suffocate and die. Atlanna steals her child, though, and takes him to the lighthouse of Thomas Curry, her secret human lover. Unbeknowest to King Atlan, Orin's true father is Thomas. Because of this, Orin can breathe on land. Thomas agrees to take care of Orin, and raises him as his son, giving him the human name of Arthur. When Atlanna returns to Atlantis, she is sentenced to death by her own cruel husband. As the years go by, Arthur (unknowing of his real origins and believing his mother died in a boating accident during a storm while he was a baby) begins to notice that he can hold his breath for extended periods of time underwater, and fish seem to mysteriously do as he wants to do, just by him thinking. His father Thomas has a son with another human, and names him Orm, who Arthur looks after and cares for as a big brother. When Arthur becomes a young man, his father leaves him in charge of the lighthouse for a night. The light goes out during a storm, and Arthur sees a fishing boat about to crash into jagged rocks. Without thinking, Arthur jumps out of the lighthouse and dives into the water. Standing on the rocks, he manages to hold the ship back with his bare hands, and telepathically call for dolphins to come to carry the fishermen to safety. When the men are taken to the shore and go to the town, they mutter in shock under their breath about an "Aquaman". Arthur finally confronts his father about his mother. When Thomas explains that Arthur is from Atlantis and is heir to the throne, Arthur decides he must go back to the civilization that deemed him a monster to clear his name. He leaves his father and little brother, who is oblivious to the real reason Arthur is leaving. Arthur dyes his hair black to blend in with the Atlanteans. When Arthur reaches Poseidonis, the capitol of Atlantis, he meets a young Atlantean woman named Mera, who he starts a romantic relationship with and reveals his identity to. She warns him that he will be killed if he is discovered. Despite what she says, Arthur attempts to approach Atlan to show that he is not a menace, he is immediately arrested by royal guards and placed in a prison with Atlantis's former chief scientist, Dr. Nuidis Vulko. The prisoners wear Atlantean prison garb, which includes an orange top made of scales, green gloves and leggings, with a gold belt with an A on the center. Vulko explains to Arthur that he knew his mother, and was the one Atlantean who didn't believe in the Curse of Kordax. He also says that the Atlanteans are too ignorant to realize that Atlan has become a tyrant. Arthur is sentenced to death (again) by the king, who eventually agrees to meet Arthur face to face. Atlan reveals that he himself is none other than Kordax, under a magic spell that has transformed him from his monstrous form into an Atlantean appearence. He killed the real Atlan and took the throne to himself. Knowing that no one will believe the "cursed" Arthur, he is put back into the prison. Vulk reveals that because he is half human, half Atlantean, his powers of strength, speed, air breathing, and telepathy with fish belongs to him and no other Atlantean. Arthur summons a giant whale to break him and Vulko out of the prison. As Vulko goes to his lab to figure out a way to reveal Kordax's true form, Arthur leads a legion of fish against the royal guards as he makes his way to the castle. When he meets Kordax outside of the castle, Kordax attempts to turn the Atlanteans against Arthur by pointing out his superpowers, that are a sign of the Curse of Kordax. Right then, Vulko reverses Kordax's spell, showing his true form to his people. Wielding Poseidon's trident (the King of Atlantis's mark of power), Kordax attacks Arthur. With the help of the sealife, Arthur defeats Kordax, and casts him into an abyss. Picking up the dropped trident, Arthur uses it to cover the abyss, sealing Kordax forever. The Atlanteans finally accept Arthur as their king, though they still are suspicious of him and do not trust him completely, even fearing him somewhat. Arthur appoints Vulko as his royal adviser. Vulko shows Arthur an ancient temple, which Arthur says he will use as his base of operations. When Vulko asks what Arthur means by this, Arthur explains that in Atlantis, he will be known as King Arthur, but humans are not yet ready to know of the ancienct peoples' existence. He must defend the land as the superhero Aquaman.

Like I said I have thought of two sequels to this, which take place in an entire DC cinematic universe, and would tie in (with other films in the universe) to a Justice League film. If you have any feedback it'd be appreciated, and I'd be happy to leave a summary of my other Aquaman/DC universe film ideas as well

Old 02-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #749
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

feedback eh? Use paragraphs!

Old 02-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #750
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

Yeah that block of text is unreadable.

Closed Thread