The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Old 02-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #326
Nathan

Default Re: DmC: Devil May Cry - Part 1

With Ninja Theory, they can probably afford this to give it another try. Apparently NT takes advantage of a similar tax loophole like Uwe Boll did for his Movies. So even with their games not doing particularly well, they are still around because they always manage to get most of their money back. At least that's what I've heard.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:30 PM   #327
def28
Side-Kick

Thats probably a good call given NT's past sales.

I think its really gonna depend on how well these US #s hold. Alot of A+ game titles are gonna get released within the next few months and thats not gonna make things any better given how the game performed with no competition. If it doesnt get to a million I cant see Capcom greenlighting a sequel. Especially if they considered DMC4 sales a let down. Hopefully word of mouth and reviews hold this thing steady. Story and character wise its at a good point. Would like to see this followed up.

Last edited by def28; 02-01-2013 at 10:34 PM.
def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:00 PM   #328
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
With Ninja Theory, they can probably afford this to give it another try. Apparently NT takes advantage of a similar tax loophole like Uwe Boll did for his Movies. So even with their games not doing particularly well, they are still around because they always manage to get most of their money back. At least that's what I've heard.
Interesting. You wouldnt have any idea on the budget this game had would ya?

Old 02-01-2013, 11:11 PM   #329
Nathan

Tried looking for numbers, but didn't find any. And the whole Tax story might not even be true, because I stumbled upon an article, where Tameem complains that the UK don't get Tax breaks for game development. But I'm still surprised they are actually around.

Founded in 2000. Only made 4 games in that time. The first one being Kung Fu Chaos, which had abysmal sales. Heavenly Sword seemed to do ok, Enslaved underperformed and we have yet to see what DmC's final numbers are. But seriously, why are they still around?

Old 02-02-2013, 03:01 AM   #330
Spider-X
Big damn hero

They have talent for sure, they are good-to-great storytellers with fantastic artistic vision/direction...they've just needed help in the gameplay department, which they clearly got from capcom on this one. DmC would probably have sold better on day one if they simply kept the hair white, toned down some of the unnecessary swearing, marketed it a bit better (make Dante appears less douchey...he's honestly not as douchey in the game as the trailers and even the demo made him out to be...dare I say he's even likable)...and if Tameem talked less, if at all. That guy's got an ego that needs to be checked...and a good amount of the negativity towards this game is on his shoulders due to some previous comments he made. It's really too bad too, that all the other talent that went into this game is blown to the wayside because of some lame comments from one of the big wigs. That and the ridiculously immature overreaction from a loud minority of fans of the originals to said comments, among other things.

Seriously though, this game is fun as hell. I really do hope it gets a sequel. And this is coming from a MASSIVE DMC fan. I've been playing them since the first one and I've bought every sequel day one of release...even DMC2, which I still regret to this day.

~ Malcom Reynolds

Do you like movie reviews, trailers, etc? If so, might I recommend my oh-so-tasteful movie blog: Reel Hero
More to come...eventually

Last edited by Spider-X; 02-02-2013 at 03:20 AM.
Spider-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:19 AM   #331
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

I actually don't think there are many things wrong with this game that have any actual bearing on it's sales, I attribute that purely to the image this game has had up until this point. It's a combination of the fanboys whining about Dante and Ninja Theory not really doing anything to combat that. They kind of smiled and said "Well, this is how it is" and while that's admirable in some respects and obviously they were right since the game turned out great, there are probably still many people out there who haven't played the game, who just see all the controversy surrounding it who assume it's trash.

It really is such a shame because it's a great game. Not just a great return to form for the series but also one of the best action games to come out in years. After subpar entries like Dante's Inferno, now that we've got a good series back it would be such a shame to see that go down the gurgler.

I wrote an article the other day kind of related to this situation if anyone's interested.

https://wolvieboy.wordpress.com/2013...ase-shmanbase/

Old 02-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #332
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Well put man

Old 02-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #333
Spider-Aziz
Shinya Kogami

I'm playing it on PC, and the game is really smooth, I'm impressed with this port
One thing I didn't comment on earlier: How come none of the people in the street out of limbo shown with any emotion or reaction seeing Katt holding a Molotov? It's not like no one is there or can notice during their panic

~*SHH SIX*~
member 14: Supa-Pizza
H.E
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #334
Nathan

What I want to know, do they ever explain why a Molotov makes a bulletproof demon, well, not bulletproof anymore?

Old 02-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #335
Spider-Aziz
Shinya Kogami

Lol, they do not say anything on that matter
I think it might be a test to see if whatever magic worked on it, or maybe she added some of her limbo ingredients in it, like the Squirrel juice

~*SHH SIX*~
H.E
Old 02-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #336
Spider-Aziz
Shinya Kogami

I'm replaying stage one to purchase as many upgrades as I can, and my God is it annoying, I can't skip cutscenes
That is one thing older DMC games did better

~*SHH SIX*~
H.E
Old 02-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #337
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

I thought you could skip cutscenes? I'm pretty sure you can.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #338
Spider-Aziz
Shinya Kogami

If it's something wrong with my copy, I hope it's the only wrong about it

~*SHH SIX*~
H.E
Old 02-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #339
Drz
Real Hero

Press Select. :b

Old 02-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #340
Dark_Lord
Dark Lord of the Sith

Hadn't played any Devil May Cry games until I bought Devil May Cry 4 a few monhts after its release. I only got it because I didn't have anything else to play at the time and it was extremely cheap. I remember not liking it for some reason and I never finished it (didn't even get that far).

I still got DmC though. The game looked good, the reviews were positive and a lot of you guys seemed to like it. I just finished it and I have to say, I'm glad I bought it. It's great! I think for someone (that hadn't played the previous DMC games) like me, the fact that it was a reboot helped. I hope NT makes a sequel.

Dark_Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #341
Havok83
Side-Kick

Just beat DMC 2 . Yes I did. My final game clock was 3:47 Im not one to rush through games and it took me less than 4 hours to beat Dante's campaign. Granted I guess they wanted to count Lucia's segment to double that but isnt mainly reused assets?

Maybe it helped that I went into this with low expectations but I didnt think the was the steaming pile of crap everyone else did. I think its worth at least one playthrough, especially since its so short. I think this would have been great as a PS1 game or had it been released before DMC1. Unfortnuately as a sequel it failed as it doesnt do anything better than DMC1, except superficial stuff like improved graphics and menu. I definetly understand why people say to just skip it bc since the story is so weak it doesnt even feel vital to the DMC mythos and Im under the assumption wont add anything to a playthrough of 3 or 4. Here are my thoughts and comments on the actual game.

The story...ugh, what story? It was worst than DMC1 (which wasnt necesarily bad; just not well presented). I had to read up on wiki and its pretty bad. I saw Dante fighting some random corporation guy whom they didnt do a good job of portraying in the game. There definetly felt like there were a bit of holes, like when Dante meets up and saves Lucia towards the end. I get that we are supposed to play her segment to get the full story but Im really not compelled to want to play this game again to get that. Speaking of which, there is absoluetly NO character development at all. Dante is exactly the same he was from beginning to end. He is a very weak protagonist whom I never shared a connection to at all. You could just as easily have swapped im out for Random Joe as the new hero and I dont think it would have changed the game. Trish dissappears with absolutely no mention. I know she is a hidden character, but its odd that virtually no mention is made to her or the Devil Never Cry agency.

Bosses. There was too many of them. It seems as if there was a boss fight in pretty much most of the missions and sometimes there were 2. I had no idea why Dante was fighting these random monsters as they just apeared. The fights were also too easy and lacked strategy. Man amounted to me staying back and shooting missles and then running up to attack with DT. I found it a bit annoying how Griffon and Nelo Angelo kept popping up in DMC1, but they talked and felt a little developed. Plus being recurring villians, it always felt like they were a looming threat

Leveling system was pretty bad. In DMC1, you could upgrade different aspects of your two main weapons as well as DT to give you new moves but that is gone here. Instead you can upgrade your weapons but all that does is make them stronger. No new moves are given. Pretty much all the moves you have from the beginning are the exact same ones you have for the entire game. There arent that many. I did like the new heart/amulet system which allows you to add different attributes to your DT, but it never felt like they did anything significantly different besides letting you fly, run faster or slow time. The rest seemed more so for visual effect. The attacks and combos seemed very basic.

As for DT, what the heck did they do to it? The transformation in DMC1 actually meant something. You got a true sense that you were this more powerful beast with a new move list but DT here feels very underwhelming. I dont know how to describe it but its just weak in comparison to how it worked in the first game

I do appreciate that there was more variety to the scenery and that there wasnt much backtracking, like with the one big castle but I also thought the castle really added quite the atmosphere to the game. I felt Dante felt incredibly out of place fighting in an industrial setting and think he was better suited for the more gothic themes of the first game.

For the love of god, auto-aiming in a game like this is the worst! I hope its done away with in DMC3

Oh and the Secret Missions. WTH? In the original they were special goals placed within the game's environments and could be frustrating and fun. Here they are literally just 2 rounds of fighting monsters in one room and that formula never varis for the 20 that are hidden in the game. Boring

Was this game made by a different team from the original? Thats the only thing that could make sense for why so many things changed for the worst. It really doesnt feel the same at all.

Overall I think the game is functional as a random generic action game, but it doesnt live up to the standards set in place by the original. Sequels should aim to improve upon the previous games shortcomings but this failed to do that and instead made it worse in many other aspects. Literally all the complaints I had about DMC1 were just magnified here. I dont think its necesarily a horrible game but a horrible follow up to a great foundation that was set in place with the first. Its like the Heroes season 2 to season 1. Id give it a 6.0.

I think Im gonna take a break from DMC now. I might do a little bit of my ME3 Insanity run before going to 3

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #342
Spider-Aziz
Shinya Kogami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
Press Select. :b
Select and start both don't work on my gamepad, unfortunately
Backspace does the Select job, that's weird
Thanks for the tip

~*SHH SIX*~
H.E
Old 02-04-2013, 08:22 AM   #343
zenith16
Side-Kick

Capcom has lowered their expectations for both DMC: Devil May Cry and RES 6 sales

DmC Devil May Cry Ships 1 Million Copies; Forecast Lowered To 1.2 Million.February 4, 2013 . 1:07am

Capcom have revised their forecast for DmC Devil May Cry down from 2 million to 1.2 million.

source: siliconera

zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:28 AM   #344
Spider-Aziz
Shinya Kogami

That's pretty sad
After completing DmC I'll have to hunt RE6, guess it will be a nice break waiting over a month

~*SHH SIX*~
H.E
Old 02-04-2013, 11:08 AM   #345
Nathan

UK Chart: Ni no Kuni enchants the UK as DmC drops out

Old 02-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #346
Spider-Aziz
Shinya Kogami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
With Sleeping Dogs being there as No. 20, it shines much better than DmC at 11

~*SHH SIX*~
H.E
Old 02-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #347
Nathan

Ninja Theory explains DmC: Devil May Cry's satire

Quote:
"It seems that games are perceived to be for kids and should never tackle themes a Saturday morning cartoon wouldn’t. It would be pretty depressing and limiting if all developers accepted that as the status quo. Our games are being played by intelligent adults, so there is no reason why we can’t treat them as such."
*cough*

Old 02-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #348
jacobed
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith16 View Post
Capcom has lowered their expectations for both DMC: Devil May Cry and RES 6 sales

DmC Devil May Cry Ships 1 Million Copies; Forecast Lowered To 1.2 Million.February 4, 2013 . 1:07am

Capcom have revised their forecast for DmC Devil May Cry down from 2 million to 1.2 million.

source: siliconera
That's what it should have been to begin with. Their expectations were way too high

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #349
def28
Side-Kick

1.2 is a pretty low expectation to have. Im sure this was not their goal with this game.Heavenly Sword could end up selling more.

I believe they wanted to expand the audience, thats not happening here. Love it or hate it the franchise is losing alot of its audience with this game. Which sucks.

Last edited by def28; 02-04-2013 at 05:17 PM.
def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #350
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
1.2 is a pretty low expectation to have. Im sure this was not their goal with this game.Heavenly Sword could end up selling more.
Not really. It depends entirely on the budget, which I'm assuming was on the low side.