The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Celebrities

Old 08-23-2007, 10:42 AM   #1
Dark Donnie
Kenny Powers is Back!

Default Good ol Bill Murray :)

Bill Murray Arrested for Drunk Driving in a Golf Cart

Hollywood star Bill Murray has been arrested on suspicion of drunk driving in a golf cart in the Swedish capital Stockholm. The actor was stopped by police in the early hours of Sunday and alcohol was smelled on his breath, according Stockholm police detective inspector Christer Holmlund. Holmlund says, "He refused to blow in the (breath test) instrument, citing American legislation. So we applied the old method - a blood test. It will take 14 days before the results are in." Murray - who is in the city attending a golf tournament - signed a document admitting driving under the influence and permitted a police officer to enter a guilty plea on his behalf if the case goes to court. The 56-year-old will only be charged if his blood alcohol level is higher than the legal limit. If it is excessively high he could face a prison sentence - but a fine is more likely. Holmlund adds, "There were no obvious signs, like when someone is really tipsy." The officer claims mystery surrounds the golf cart and who owns it - although Murray isn't facing theft charges: "It was a golf cart. How it ended up in this predicament I don't know. I have done this since 1968 and I've never experienced anything like this."

Old 08-23-2007, 11:29 AM   #2
Drizzle
ALL HAIL MAURICE

Default Re: Good ol Bill Murray :)

That's awesome.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:42 AM   #3
rdh007
Brit Wannabe

I hope he doesn't get into too much trouble--sounds like he was cool about it.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:22 PM   #4
black_dust
FrEaK-A-ZoId!!!

Hahah thats cool

black_dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:19 AM   #5
Gabe99
Side-Kick

From CBR:
Robert Downey Wanted Bill Murray For Iron Man But Couldn’t Find Him

Bill Murray: The ESQ+A
Quote:
The actor talks about inaccessibility and freedom, commitment and fatherhood. And Wes Anderson. And citrus fruit.

From CA:
Parting Shot: A 1975 Fantastic Four Radio Show Starring Bill Murray as the Human Torch

Gabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:25 AM   #6
GregComicFan
movie and comic buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Donnie View Post
The officer claims mystery surrounds the golf cart and who owns it - although Murray isn't facing theft charges: "It was a golf cart. How it ended up in this predicament I don't know. I have done this since 1968 and I've never experienced anything like this."
I'm a cop in Maryland. I guess not a whole lot happens in Sweden. lol

the guy has never had any person drive drunk in something other than a car???

or he's just never had a DUI???

Kids steal and joyride in golf carts all the time... and they're probably drunk.

GregComicFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #7
3rdstone
In a room full of mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregComicFan View Post
I'm a cop in Maryland. I guess not a whole lot happens in Sweden. lol

the guy has never had any person drive drunk in something other than a car???

or he's just never had a DUI???

Kids steal and joyride in golf carts all the time... and they're probably drunk.

So it's common in USA that famous actors ride golf carts drunk, outside trendy nightclubs in central New York at half past three in the night?

- If you don't eat your meat you can't have any pudding! How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!?

3rdstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:59 PM   #8
sandmjuggalos
SAM R I

On a good night....

Old 01-30-2013, 04:01 AM   #9
Gabe99
Side-Kick

USC students hope for Bill Murray on Bill Murray Appreciation Day
Bill Murray Appreciaton Day will be held on Feb. 2

Old 01-30-2013, 11:48 AM   #10
PyroChamber
Chicka Chick-ahhhh

Just further proof that Bill Murray just doesn't give a ****.

Quote:
Sometimes, it's so easy, I'm ashamed of myself.
PyroChamber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:44 PM   #11
Pink Ranger
TV Poster, Radio Face

I guess Bill reasons that he'll get an Oscar one day if he starts behaving more like Daniel Day Lewis.

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:57 PM   #12
THUNDERSTRIKE
YOU THINK THIS IS EASY?!?

maybe he was looking for gophers at the golf course and he lost his way...

THUNDERSTRIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:24 PM   #13
dynamic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUNDERSTRIKE View Post
maybe he was looking for gophers at the golf course and he lost his way...

dynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:01 PM   #14
Holiday
'Bout that action

I found out a couple days ago that Tim Burton wanted Murray to play Batman before he found Keaton. That would have been, um... interesting.

Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #15
Gabe99
Side-Kick

Default Re: Groundhog Day 2013

From Obsessed With Film:
Just How Many Days Does Bill Murray REALLY Spend Stuck Reliving GROUNDHOG DAY?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Gallagher
33 years and 350 days

So if my math is right (it probably isn”t) that means something like…

413 months
1766 weeks
12,395 days
297, 480 hours
17, 848, 800 minutes

So next time you are asked… “Hey, just how many days does Bill Murray spend locked in Groundhog Day?” – The answer my friends, is, 12,395 days!!

That’s a far shout from that 8 years figure bandied about in that article mentioned above – and even further away from the 10,000 years that were supposedly mentioned in the initial drafts of the film. I can only thank my lucky stars I didn’t have to go to those lengths!

All that effort to find out that Harold Ramis was pretty much right in the first sodding place. It’s alright though, man’s a goddamn genius.

For anyone who wants to check all of this, I really don’t suggest watching Groundhog Day in this manner. It’s not the best way to enjoy what is essentially a light-hearted comedy whose metaphysical concerns are supposed to be enjoyed in fun, and not worked out mathematically. Normal people should be happy to just watch, and accept that Phil Connors is stuck repeating his one day endlessly over and over until he finds himself- but then, I don’t think I’m normal.

20 Thoughts on the 20th Anniversary of Groundhog Day
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris O'Shea
This February marks the twentieth anniversary of Groundhog Day — the Bill Murray film about living the same day over and over again. This February marks the twentieth anniversary of Groundhog Day — the Bill Murray film about living the same day over and over again. Sorry. That's the last time I do that, promise. Here are twenty thoughts, small and large, personal and not, on the occasion.

1. When Groundhog Day was released in 1993, pretty much everyone loved it. Roger Ebert gave it three stars and said that while it was clearly a comedy, "There's an underlying dynamic that is a little more thoughtful." The New York Times praised it for being "witty," and the Washington Post called it "wildly funny."

2. If you're a fan of Murray and Harold Ramis (who worked together most famously on Ghostbusters, among other films), Groundhog Day is bittersweet, as this marked the beginning of their estrangement. Ramis claimed that Murray acted irrationally and immaturely during the shoot (to be fair, Murray's marriage was rumored to be on the rocks). Years later, Ramis told The New Yorker, "What I’d want to say to him is just what we tell our children: 'You don’t have to throw tantrums to get what you want. Just say what you want.'" Obviously, there are two sides to every story, but regardless of what happened, it's a shame these two no longer work together.

3. I'm from Pittsburgh, and I'm almost positive that when the trio is leaving the city for Punxsutawney, they are headed the wrong way. Punxsutawney is east of Pittsburgh, but they look to be traveling west.

4. Phil Connors (Murray) plays a weatherman who is cynical, self-centered, and bored with his career, which is exactly how I imagine most meteorologists feel. No one likes them because they have the easiest job ever created. Meteorologists simply look at some radars and proudly proclaim that there's a 20 percent chance of something. If they're wrong — as they often are — they just shrug their shoulders and say, "It's the weather! It's unpredictable!"

5. How Connors deals with his Groundhog Day strikes me as fairly realistic. I like that Ramis has Connors delve into his evil side when he first realizes there won't be any consequences. When no one is watching — and there’s little chance we’ll pay for the wrongs we commit — what are most of us likely to do? Bad things ... like steal money from perhaps the dumbest armored-car guards ever. In time, my guess is we'd all lose interest and begin to question what we did to keep us in this looping nightmare, just like Connors does.

6. One of Connors's conquests while exploring his dark side is to manipulate and then bed Nancy Taylor (Marita Geraghty). The year after Groundhog Day was released, Geraghty played Margaret on "The Big Salad" episode of Seinfeld. Unfortunately, she didn't fare much better there — Newman tells Jerry that he dumped Margaret because he considered her unattractive. (I try to find a way to work Seinfeld into everything.)

7. Something that has always puzzled me about Groundhog Day: Why didn't Connors just stay awake past 6 a.m.? That's the point at which February 2 begins again and he wakes to the awful "I Got You Babe" blaring. Drink some coffee, chase that with some Jolt (the energy soda for people who preferred their heart failure to taste like battery acid and come in a fun package), and a king-size Snickers — whatever you need to do. I suppose it's inferred that Connors tried to stay awake through it, but Ramis should've made that clearer.

8. There's a slew of memorable characters in Groundhog Day, but my favorite is definitely Ned "Needlenose Ned, Ned the Head" Ryerson. Ryerson (the character actor par excellence Stephen Tobolowsky) is supremely annoying, but when Connors slugs him, you almost feel bad for the guy. But remember, Ryerson points at Connors, laughs, and says, "Watch out for that first step; it's a doozy!" each time Connors steps into a puddle. What kind of a person laughs at someone who gets a wet foot? Someone who deserves to be punched, that's who.

9. Rita (Andie MacDowell), the producer, tells Connors that she "always toasts to world peace" when Connors is busy trying to seduce her. Talk about a buzzkill. Her drink of choice is also sweet vermouth on the rocks, which is just gross.

10. Murray seems extremely comfortable playing an unhappy person, so it makes sense that most of the good dialogue in Groundhog Day comes when he is still being mean to people. When Ryerson asks Connors what he is doing for dinner, Connors shoots back, "Something else." At one point, Connors brushes someone off by bluntly stating, "Don't mess with me porkchop." Connors's perfect day, the one he wished he was reliving, is also masterfully delivered. "I was in the Virgin Islands once," Connors explains. "I met a girl. We ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters."

11. A lot of ambiguity surrounds just how much time passes during Connors's endless loop. Ramis at one point is on record as saying it was ten years, but then he changed his mind and said it was "more like 30 or 40." Tobolowsky (Ryerson) claimed in interviews that Ramis told him it was 10,000 years. I would say the 30 to 40 years is accurate, because Connors would need at least that to remember every tiny detail he learns about the townspeople, how to play the piano, etc.

12. After Connors grows tired of being repeatedly rebuffed by Rita, he begins a downward spiral. It's at this point that he finally admits that he doesn't like himself. He then tries to commit suicide by: driving off a cliff, electrocution via a toaster tossed into his bath water, jumping in front of a truck, and launching himself from a church bell tower. He lists a few more ways (burning, for example) that aren't shown.

13. For someone who hates his job, give credit to Connors for continuing to go back to the live report on Punxsutawney Phil every day for decades. That's an excellent work ethic.

14. Speaking of furry Phil, groundhogs and woodchucks are the same animal. The more you know.

15. Debbie, a local who has cold feet about marrying another local named Fred, decides to go through with it after Connors convinces them that they're in love. Fred is played by a very young Michael Shannon, who now is more widely known for portraying the ultra-creepy Nelson Van Alden on Boardwalk Empire.

16. It's nice that Rita ends up falling for Connors, but she does so after just one day. I can hear Rita's friends right now: "What? You just met that guy! Girl, what the hell is wrong with you? When you get back to Pittsburgh, we're going out.”

17. Groundhog Day is definitely a time-travel movie. This is why Connors is capable of remembering details and learning new skills, like playing "Rhapsody on a Theme by Paginini," by Sergei Rachmaninoff, on the piano. Connors is on a broken time record; when 6 a.m. hits, the record skips back to the exact same point of February 2.

18. Murray starred in Mad Dog and Glory — alongside Robert De Niro and Uma Thurman — in 1993 as well. In the film, Murray plays a mob boss who does stand-up comedy. De Niro, a shy police crime-scene photographer, saves Murray's life, and to repay him, Murray asks De Niro to accept Thurman's, uh, services. Now you know why you don't remember Mad Dog and Glory.

19. Murray recently told GQ that the only way he'd return to traditionally funny movies like Groundhog Day is if he wrote one. It's a shame, because rewatching this has made me appreciate just how perfect Murray is in straight comedies.

20. The moral of Groundhog Day? The easiest way to prevent undesirable time travel is to stop being a jackass.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #16
Gabe99
Side-Kick

Default Re: Groundhog Day 2013

From /film February 2nd, 2011:
Listen to Ned Ryerson Describe The Making of ‘Groundhog Day’

From /film February 5th, 2009:
The /Filmcast Commentary – Groundhog Day (GUEST: Stephen Tobolowsky)

"The Tobolowsky Files"