The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

Old 02-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #376
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Default Re: Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns Animated - Part 1

I'm watching Part 2 right now and I gotta say the guy who did the Reagan voice did an awesome job. Sounds just like him!

redfirebird2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #377
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

Just got the Bluray/DVD combo today at Target for just $13.99 whoohoo!!

can't wait to watch it today after work.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:33 AM   #378
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

DC should have released Parts 1 and 2 as a movie at the cinema. It's absolutely incredible. I have to say the animated increased my understanding of the graphic novel as it flows better and showed me things I'd missed. I'm reading the graphic novel now. All due respect to Moore's Watchman but I think the TDKR is the best graphic novel ever written.

Last edited by spider-neil; 02-08-2013 at 11:04 AM.
spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:12 AM   #379
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Just a note that it's a shame people are downloading these animated movies for free. More than anything else these animated movies production is dictated by sales so if the sales go down because of downloading then the production of these animated movies will stop. DC make a movie every three months it's not to much money to actually purchase these things rather than watch them for free.

Last edited by spider-neil; 02-08-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:59 AM   #380
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
Just a note that it's a shame people are downloading these animated movies for free. More than anything else these animated movies production is dictated by sales so if the sales go down because of downloading then the production of these animated movies will stop. DC make a movie every three movies it's not to much money to actually purchase these things rather than watch them for free.
I don't think its bad if they are willing to buy it aferwards though/

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #381
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

Wow this one is just incredible, it flowed just perfectly from the voice acting to the animation, I noticed also a slight hint of Hans Zimmer's vibe in the music too. Especially was surprised they didn't hold back on Joker's murderous rampage at the fair adding bits that weren't in the GN, too bad they couldn't add the Dr. Ruth Westheimer clone getting killed.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #382
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I just rewatched it for the 2nd time and I still love it, definitely the best DC animated film yet.

My favourite moment is still Superman saving that blind guy been hit by a train, it was just so well Superman lol

Old 02-07-2013, 12:03 AM   #383
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

1) TDKR, 2) TDKReturns, 3) BB, 4) TDK

Yep. TDKReturns was seriously awesome and definitely agree with the above comment that this should have been in theaters. It was just a really outstanding film.

Ultimatehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:04 AM   #384
Franny
Side-Kick

LOL at Reagan. Loved the "good news and bad news" sequence. Shame we had to lose the inner monologue, but it wouldn't had worked in this medium and would had been so wrong to attempt the characters' stating some of it out loud.
Excellent adaptation. Although I heard that the sequel from Miller isn't as good, maybe it would an adaptation into animated form? Not having read' I couldn't begin to guess.

Franny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #385
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franny View Post
LOL at Reagan. Loved the "good news and bad news" sequence. Shame we had to lose the inner monologue, but it wouldn't had worked in this medium and would had been so wrong to attempt the characters' stating some of it out loud.
Excellent adaptation. Although I heard that the sequel from Miller isn't as good, maybe it would an adaptation into animated form? Not having read' I couldn't begin to guess.
The Dark Knight Strikes Again is terrible, I'd say read it just to see how bad it is. It wouldn't work in animation at all and I doubt they'd even consider adapting it.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #386
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

I hope not. TDKSA is garbage and I don't know what the hell Miller was thinking. It gave us the best batman quote ever though.

#wtF

#IbelieveinBatfleck2k16
A Necessary Evil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #387
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Necessary Evil View Post
I hope not. TDKSA is garbage and I don't know what the hell Miller was thinking. It gave us the best batman quote ever though.
"Striking terror. Best part of the job"?

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

BlueLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #388
FCEEVIPER
Rubber bullets. Honest

Part 2 was amazing, just perfect. I don't know where Tim and Co and go from here.

Thank you Nolan, Goyer & Jonathan
The Dark Knight Saga
2005 - 2008 - 2012
FCEEVIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #389
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCEEVIPER View Post
Part 2 was amazing, just perfect. I don't know where Tim and Co and go from here.
Well he wasn't involved with Superman Unbound, not that that's a bad thing James Tucker knows Superman better I think.

On part 2, here's my official review:

http://simplysupermanbatman.wordpres...urns-part-2-2/

Old 02-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #390
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Shot me down in flames but I enjoyed The Dark Knight Returns more than BB, TDK and The Dark Knight Rises. If they release a 3 hour cut with the voice over included then I think you will have Batman perfection.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #391
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
The Dark Knight Strikes Again is terrible, I'd say read it just to see how bad it is. It wouldn't work in animation at all and I doubt they'd even consider adapting it.
I hope they adapt The Dark Knight Strikes Back because I've read it 3 times and I can't make heads or tails of it.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #392
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Part 2 was insanely good. I loved it. They really did not hold back on the Joker's violence. The carnival scene was just....WOW! I loved Emerson's voice as the Joker. He was terrific.

The Batman vs Superman fight was so well done. In the falling snow it made for a great atmosphere. I got a lump in my throat when
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Alfred dropped dead outside of the burning Wayne Manor

Overall these are the best animated Batman movies yet. Even better than Under the Red Hood, and that takes some doing.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #393
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLightning View Post
"Striking terror. Best part of the job"?
My mistake. I was thinking of all star batman and robin.

#wtF

#IbelieveinBatfleck2k16
Old 02-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #394
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Necessary Evil View Post
My mistake. I was thinking of all star batman and robin.
You mean the infamous: "I'm the goddamn Batman"? I don't like it, but I have grown to refer to this Miller's Batman incarnation as that.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

BlueLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #395
spidermanJLA!~
SUPERHERO

Sorry to rain on everyone's parade, but every thread needs a little polite debate right?
I for one, was not a fan of this film at all. Mostly because it's just not my style. Batman, imo, was way too psycho. He's just a stubborn, annoying old man with no emotion at all. I found him very dis-likable. Joker, while I thought that the violence was way too much, made sense in the context and he got what he deserved. However, I was rooting for Commissioner Yindel during the shooting scenes.
(And btw, no one in this movie can shoot, so many misses) Now again I'm really reviewing the story, so you could say I'm reviewing the book, not the film, but still. Superman getting energy from plants makes sense, but was way too over the top. And then a plane just randomly falls to the ground from a nuclear explosion. Then Batman wakes up and rides on a horse to an army. It all makes sense, but it was just a bunch if stuff happening at once. Imo, this is in nooo way the best DCAM and I'll take Red Hood over this anyday.

PS. Just my opinion.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #396
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermanJLA!~ View Post
Sorry to rain on everyone's parade, but every thread needs a little polite debate right?
I for one, was not a fan of this film at all. Mostly because it's just not my style. Batman, imo, was way too psycho. He's just a stubborn, annoying old man with no emotion at all. I found him very dis-likable. Joker, while I thought that the violence was way too much, made sense in the context and he got what he deserved. However, I was rooting for Commissioner Yindel during the shooting scenes.
(And btw, no one in this movie can shoot, so many misses) Now again I'm really reviewing the story, so you could say I'm reviewing the book, not the film, but still. Superman getting energy from plants makes sense, but was way too over the top. And then a plane just randomly falls to the ground from a nuclear explosion. Then Batman wakes up and rides on a horse to an army. It all makes sense, but it was just a bunch if stuff happening at once. Imo, this is in nooo way the best DCAM and I'll take Red Hood over this anyday.

PS. Just my opinion.
That's fair enough, everything's not for everyone

Like me for instance I personally thought the films were better than the book.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #397
ElToro
Im No Side-Kick lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
DC should have released Parts 1 and 2 as a movie at the cinema. It's absolutely incredible. I have to say the animated increased my understanding of the graphic novel as it flows better and showed me things I'd missed. I'm reading the graphic novel now. All due respect to Moore's Watchman but I think the TDKR is the best graphic novel ever written.
I can see where your going with this statement do to the fact that maybe the Millers TDKR is a lot more darker and so badass. I think both TDKR and Watchmen are different, yet they do have some things that are the same. Fighting against the government, coming back from retirement, but i feel like TDKR feels real. I think because batman just dosent have any powers makes the story a bit more interesting, more riveting. But you cant go wrong with the watchmen story. Its different because i feel like Dr. manhattan makes the story different. Its the only man with powers, while everyone else dosent have powers. in the end, i think there both very great storys by both of them.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #398
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLightning View Post
You mean the infamous: "I'm the goddamn Batman"? I don't like it, but I have grown to refer to this Miller's Batman incarnation as that.
Neither of Miller's work there either, but that line is just...

#wtF

#IbelieveinBatfleck2k16
Old 02-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #399
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermanJLA!~ View Post

PS. Just my opinion.
I disagree with you but fair enough.

IMO Red Hood was only OK. A few cool scenes but it wasn't anything special at all to me. TDKReturns part 1 & 2 are definately my favorite DCAM's at the moment. I even enjoyed it more than Mask of the Phantasm. Ill put Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker right behind TDKR.

This is honestly my favorite Batman. When he's miserable but still doing good (just in a twisted way). Stubborn is another thing that i love about Batman, even when it gets frustrating at times.

shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #400
spidermanJLA!~
SUPERHERO

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
I disagree with you but fair enough.

IMO Red Hood was only OK. A few cool scenes but it wasn't anything special at all to me. TDKReturns part 1 & 2 are definately my favorite DCAM's at the moment. I even enjoyed it more than Mask of the Phantasm. Ill put Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker right behind TDKR.

This is honestly my favorite Batman. When he's miserable but still doing good (just in a twisted way). Stubborn is another thing that i love about Batman, even when it gets frustrating at times.
I respect that, but that's where our opinions differ. I prefer a less tortured Batman.