The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #601
gomez147
You're not just anyone
 
gomez147's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 660
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Zack Snyder said a few months ago that they won't think on a sequel until they look the result of MOS and the success it gets. Let's see...

And about the quality, I think MOS will be great or in the worst case "regular" (as TASM was), but I'm sure it won't be bad.

gomez147 is offline  
Old 02-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #602
LeXcalibur
Lord Luthor
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 290
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

melonilex ftw

LeXcalibur is offline  
Old 02-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #603
LeXcalibur
Lord Luthor
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 290
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

if mos is as good as tasm was, for superman fans it will feel like they have the greatest movie in history. a slightly above average superhero movie is good to the general crowd. slightly above average to a fan, is downright religous!

LeXcalibur is offline  
Old 02-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #604
moviefreak
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 282
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

If it is true that Goyer is being brought in to (re)write JL, then he'll have a hard act to create a good multi-character story. How will he be able to write Diana/Wonder Woman if she's going to be introduced to the general audience for the first time in a JL team-up instead of a solo film?

moviefreak is offline  
Old 02-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #605
HighFivingMF
Welp.
 
HighFivingMF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 13,951
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviefreak View Post
How will he be able to write Diana/Wonder Woman if she's going to be introduced to the general audience for the first time in a JL team-up instead of a solo film?
The same way he'd write any character... Don't know what whether or not she has her own movie has to do with anything.

__________________
I like Ben Affleck.
HighFivingMF is online now  
Old 02-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #606
moviefreak
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 282
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
The same way he'd write any character... Don't know what whether or not she has her own movie has to do with anything.
My worry is that JL will be cramming a lot of new characters, plots & action storylines in a 120 minutes film. IMO, it will not be that good, it will be at best average.

moviefreak is offline  
Old 02-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #607
titansupes
Side-Kick
 
titansupes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,911
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
A bit off topic at the moment I guess, but it is an open discussion about Superman after all and I just wanted to share this wonderful Christopher Reeve interview that I've recently discovered. So full of life. It's bittersweet to watch.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


Another great one. Talking more about who Superman is.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Nice finds, thanks.

titansupes is online now  
Old 02-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #608
HighFivingMF
Welp.
 
HighFivingMF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 13,951
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviefreak View Post
My worry is that JL will be cramming a lot of new characters, plots & action storylines in a 120 minutes film.
It's worked for nearly every other movie ever.

We only know of 6 characters so far. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, The Flash, and Darkseid.

__________________
I like Ben Affleck.
HighFivingMF is online now  
Old 02-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #609
747
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.
 
747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sweden
Posts: 4,036
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeXcalibur View Post
if mos is as good as tasm was, for superman fans it will feel like they have the greatest movie in history. a slightly above average superhero movie is good to the general crowd. slightly above average to a fan, is downright religous!
Believe me, not for this Superman man right here.

(And TASM was below average for me)

747 is offline  
Old 02-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #610
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods
 
Scarecrow_King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The Point of Diminishing Returns
Posts: 4,977
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

There have been plenty of ensemble films that introduce just as many characters in as short a time. We don't need to see a full origin for every single one of these people. Leave that to their solo movies if they get them.

__________________
Well, it's been a shattering disillusionment. Goodnight.
Scarecrow_King is offline  
Old 02-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #611
titansupes
Side-Kick
 
titansupes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,911
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
Believe me, not for this Superman man right here.

(And TASM was below average for me)
Correct and correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow_King View Post
There have been plenty of ensemble films that introduce just as many characters in as short a time. We don't need to see a full origin for every single one of these people. Leave that to their solo movies if they get them.
...And correct again. It's like this new fangled thing of splitting movies into multiple movies. "Oh, we've just got so much story to tell". 90% of the time, that's total bs. People did just fine with one movie for the prior 90 years.

titansupes is online now  
Old 02-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #612
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney
 
RachelDawes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: In a courtroom or tied up in a warehouse
Posts: 8,725
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomez147 View Post
Zack Snyder said a few months ago that they won't think on a sequel until they look the result of MOS and the success it gets. Let's see...

And about the quality, I think MOS will be great or in the worst case "regular" (as TASM was), but I'm sure it won't be bad.
I adored TASM so if MOS were equally as good I'd be one happy girl.

__________________
RIP Heath Ledger, the Best Joker Ever.
RachelDawes is offline  
Old 02-02-2013, 09:36 PM   #613
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd
 
ConnorKon-El's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,465
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Random, but if this film is as good as the Bruce Timm Superman Animated Series, i'll be one happy son of a ***** . Because that animated series was amazing. Perfect portrayal of Superman, that was faithful to the comics but fresh as well.

ConnorKon-El is offline  
Old 02-02-2013, 09:37 PM   #614
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods
 
Scarecrow_King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The Point of Diminishing Returns
Posts: 4,977
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

All of the DCAU was brilliant. Even Static Shock was good, which was only loosely connected.

__________________
Well, it's been a shattering disillusionment. Goodnight.
Scarecrow_King is offline  
Old 02-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #615
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd
 
ConnorKon-El's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,465
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

The next Batman reboot should have a tone like the DCAU Batman series. Because it was dark, but had great fantastical villains.
Actually, if the JLA film can capture the tone of the JLA animated series, i will be happy. It had it's serious moments. It had it's light moments. I want it to be a bit more serious than the Avengers, but just as crowd pleasing.

ConnorKon-El is offline  
Old 02-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #616
Smallville13
Side-Kick
 
Smallville13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,936
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

The fact that the JL script was not written with a shared universe in mind makes me cringe. I can't believe that a year ago Snyder was adamant MOS would be it's own thing. The way he talks about the JL film in interviews reads to me like he's not too pleased with the thought of it. I hope that he gets Nolan to back him up and they go have a meeting with the accountants running WB and tell them that it's just not a good idea. Chances are he'll take this 'lucrative package' though...

Smallville13 is offline  
Old 02-02-2013, 10:00 PM   #617
herolee10
S.W. Mourner
 
herolee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 15,344
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

I wouldn't be so quick to follow Bruce Timm's style of creating a DC Universe when it comes to the live action film; namely because Bruce Timm has always placed Batman above Superman in almost every scenario; where Batman ends up saving the day more times than Superman and vice versa. I mean I never really got the feeling that they liked Superman or thought of him as a authentic hero since he's mainly portrayed as just being a alien who doesn't really uses his brains and always gets outsmarted by the villains while Batman doesn't and while the almighty Batman isn't subjected to becoming a tyrant, Superman apparently is in their version.

Plus, they really depowered Superman greatly as well.

herolee10 is offline  
Old 02-02-2013, 10:08 PM   #618
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd
 
ConnorKon-El's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,465
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I wouldn't be so quick to follow Bruce Timm's style of creating a DC Universe when it comes to the live action film; namely because Bruce Timm has always placed Batman above Superman in almost every scenario; where Batman ends up saving the day more times than Superman and vice versa. I mean I never really got the feeling that they liked Superman or thought of him as a authentic hero since he's mainly portrayed as just being a alien who doesn't really uses his brains and always gets outsmarted by the villains while Batman doesn't and while the almighty Batman isn't subjected to becoming a tyrant, Superman apparently is in their version.

Plus, they really depowered Superman greatly as well.
Kinda liked that tbh. He can withstand bullets, but after a while they can cause him pain. Seems like that is what Snyder, Nolan, and Goyer are doing. Didn't we hear something that the military's weapons actually kinda start to hurt Superman after awhile. Though we got that leaked scene description where a missile is launched into superman and it didn't hurt him, so it's all up for debate right now.

ConnorKon-El is offline  
Old 02-02-2013, 11:20 PM   #619
gdw
Side-Kick
 
gdw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans . . .
Posts: 4,710
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight FTW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassjaw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by geetard View Post
Has this article been posted already?

http://theflickcast.com/2013/01/30/e...rner-brothers/
Talk about a one sided argument. He's taken one quote and ran with it. What about the interviews where they've said what worked for Batman won't necessarily work for Superman, and that he is an unabashed hero? Ofcourse everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I can't stand the way he presents his opinion as fact, backing it up with one measly source (the Empire article.)
I disagree with the article's author's opinion, not because I think he is extrapolating the wrong conclusion (beside the "brooding" melancholy he thinks Superman will be exhibiting in the end), but rather because I think that what he extrapolates IS what they are doing, and that approach is EXACTLY what Superman needs in a movie. We WOULD be skeptical, and likely terrified, of a god like alien showing up on Earth.

There would also be those who fully embraced him.

Superman needs to EARN our trust, not because of who HE is, but because of who WE are. In the end, he will be embraced by the good in us, and those few who resent him will remain cynical.

The approach will also showcase the difference between being skeptical vs cynical, which is, imo, a good thing to showcase.

This is, assuming, HOPING, thy go that approach with Luthor; having him resent Superman, distrusting him, thinking it should be MAN we look up to; failing to see how Superman can bring out the good in us, he is blinded by his own hubris in wanting to be man's "saviour" himself, and it poisons him, and fuels his own greed and cements his megalomania.

At least that's how I want to see Luthor and Superman.


That was a complicated ass post to construct.

__________________
You will never be forgoten Robert.

Thanks Cconn, for the avvy.

"Originally we wanted Bill Murray to play Batman." - Jon Peters.
gdw is offline  
Old 02-03-2013, 02:34 AM   #620
ironman29758
Side-Kick
 
ironman29758's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,300
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I wouldn't be so quick to follow Bruce Timm's style of creating a DC Universe when it comes to the live action film; namely because Bruce Timm has always placed Batman above Superman in almost every scenario; where Batman ends up saving the day more times than Superman and vice versa. I mean I never really got the feeling that they liked Superman or thought of him as a authentic hero since he's mainly portrayed as just being a alien who doesn't really uses his brains and always gets outsmarted by the villains while Batman doesn't and while the almighty Batman isn't subjected to becoming a tyrant, Superman apparently is in their version.

Plus, they really depowered Superman greatly as well.
This. Personally I would combine ideas from Justice League:Year One, New 52 JL origin(I know I'm going to get some hate for that one but it read better all together and felt more like a movie or cartoon script at times), JL cartoon and some of Brad Meltzer's JL run(particularly the flashbacks to the JL's thoughts after the first team up) among other JL comics.

__________________
"Nazi zombies don’t wanna eat you just ‘cause they’re craving the protein. They do it ‘cause…they do it ‘cause they hate Americans, man. Talibans. They’re the Talibans of the zombie world." thanks TheNextNolan22 for reminding me how awesome Badger is
ironman29758 is offline  
Old 02-03-2013, 02:35 AM   #621
ironman29758
Side-Kick
 
ironman29758's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,300
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post


That was a complicated ass post to construct.
Even so, it's well worth the read.

__________________
"Nazi zombies don’t wanna eat you just ‘cause they’re craving the protein. They do it ‘cause…they do it ‘cause they hate Americans, man. Talibans. They’re the Talibans of the zombie world." thanks TheNextNolan22 for reminding me how awesome Badger is
ironman29758 is offline  
Old 02-03-2013, 05:07 AM   #622
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest
 
BH/HHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Leeds
Posts: 14,839
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

I'm sorry but the theories that Meloni is Lex Luthor and Lois is really Lana are pretty ridiculous, everyone seems to think there's gonna be some big twist because Nolan's involved. Ask yourself this what would be gained from those twists? answer nothing. Its not like Hardy would have to lie to just turn out to be Lex, same goes for Lois been Lana.

__________________
MAN OF STEEL


THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline  
Old 02-03-2013, 05:36 AM   #623
Kryptonian Warrior
We are Hunter Rider
 
Kryptonian Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Posts: 4,715
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
I'm sorry but the theories that Meloni is Lex Luthor and Lois is really Lana are pretty ridiculous, everyone seems to think there's gonna be some big twist because Nolan's involved. Ask yourself this what would be gained from those twists? answer nothing. Its not like Hardy would have to lie to just turn out to be Lex, same goes for Lois been Lana.
I thought that it had been mentioned that there was some sort of twist in the final MOS script? Maybe I'm totally wrong, but I swear I had heard that. I'm all for the twist of Meloni being Lex, but not really sure if that's going to happen or not. Guess we'll find out in a few months.

__________________
My Ever Growing Blu Ray Collection

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=230251
Kryptonian Warrior is offline  
Old 02-03-2013, 06:09 AM   #624
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest
 
BH/HHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Leeds
Posts: 14,839
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonian Warrior View Post
I thought that it had been mentioned that there was some sort of twist in the final MOS script? Maybe I'm totally wrong, but I swear I had heard that. I'm all for the twist of Meloni being Lex, but not really sure if that's going to happen or not. Guess we'll find out in a few months.
Well the person who said that was the guy who posted all those “spoilers” and said there'd be a superbowl spot which we now know isn't true. I just don't see what's to gain from a twist like that tbh. I just think people are expecting some twist because Nolan's involved. But yeah we'll have to wait and see.

__________________
MAN OF STEEL


THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline  
Old 02-03-2013, 07:43 AM   #625
protocida
Side-Kick
 
protocida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,679
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

So about this General Swanwick fellow...

I'm pretty sure he's Steel with a cover name.

protocida is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:34 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.