The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 10:56 PM   #26
Visceral
Side-Kick
 
Visceral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,130
Default Re: How would you make Superman Relevant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
Superman's relevant because he's the only guy who can save the people of the movie from danger, same as any other superhero. Why does this question always get asked of Superman? Why do Superman fans fret about his relevance when Batman, Iron Man, Spider-Man, and Wolverine fans don't worry about their heroes? Maybe it's because he has a reputation for being uncool.
Okay, i don't disagree with this statement, but then why does he have that rep.

__________________

Before we begin does anyone want to get out?
Visceral is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:08 PM   #27
gdw
Side-Kick
 
gdw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans . . .
Posts: 4,708
Default Re: How would you make Superman Relevant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLightning View Post
You need to put aside the relatability factor. Go to the basics. Superman is basically a figure to aspire to be, someone who sets up the example. Superman inspires humanity to be better. I believe that the best Superman stories revolve around that factor. These are universal concepts that are relevant anywhere, anytime. You just need the sensibility to showcase how great Superman is.

Somebody posted this on another thread, I think it fits.

Like the "your doctor really did get help up" part, but would be better if it wasn't followed by a couple platitudes.

__________________
You will never be forgoten Robert.

Thanks Cconn, for the avvy.

"Originally we wanted Bill Murray to play Batman." - Jon Peters.
gdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:52 PM   #28
Anubis
Sup?
 
Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The Nile Delta
Posts: 67,604
Default Re: How would you make Superman Relevant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visceral View Post
Okay, i don't disagree with this statement, but then why does he have that rep.

Cuz most people are idiots.

__________________
Quote:
"Great, now I have to take over a whole planet because of your stupid boobs."
-Rick from Rick and Morty
Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:54 PM   #29
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz
 
BlueLightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,275
Default Re: How would you make Superman Relevant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visceral View Post
Realism isn't always bad, especially when evil is a very real thing. I think that people give up sometimes, they get hurt and they stop believing in goodness, of humanity and their own. Look at TDK, people thought that was the best installment and its the one where the Joker wins, then years later Aurura. This shows me that people love darkness, because they think that this is the true nature of themselves. Martin Scorsese said that his film The Departed was about our socity post 9/11 that we were now at a moral ground zero, having lost faith in goodness.
The Joker didn't win, just putting it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
Like the "your doctor really did get help up" part, but would be better if it wasn't followed by a couple platitudes.
The quote says "Your doctor really did get held up, Reagan" But I'm not quite sure what you mean with that.

And talking about the approach of Man of Steel. It does seem that Clark struggles with his powers, and there is a little angst in that. But I think is natural, and he progresses to be the Superman we know and love. There is so much evidence to hint that they are taking the right approach, with quoting verbatim Jor-El's speech from All Star Superman in one of the teasers, and Superman almost playful "What do you think?" at the end of the last trailer.

Why Superman seems to have a "bad reputation"? I really don't know, perhaps because most people don't know him as well as they should, I think. So the problem isn't really the character, but how is portrayed.

__________________

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

BlueLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:18 AM   #30
Bren
Forevernoob
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,676
Default Re: How would you make Superman Relevant?

Imo people don't want Superman to be relevant/relatable et al, because he sets a standard they don't want to try reach.

His attitude of 'give' is far too unpopular in a world of 'take', and people don't want to change. We don't want to aspire to him, because it'd be too much effort.


Last edited by Bren; 02-03-2013 at 02:23 AM.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:35 AM   #31
Jaxon
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 200
Default Re: How would you make Superman Relevant?

How about a film where he's smashing up some bad guys with really cool special effects. I'm here to tell you, that's what people want. Michael Bay told me so

Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:40 AM   #32
fanboiii
disciple of truth
 
fanboiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,883
Default Re: How would you make Superman Relevant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Imo people don't want Superman to be relevant/relatable et al, because he sets a standard they don't want to try reach.

His attitude of 'give' is far too unpopular in a world of 'take', and people don't want to change. We don't want to aspire to him, because it'd be too much effort.
Yeah, not to speak about everyone though. There's the culture of Deadpool. Then, there's the culture of Superman. :P The self-indulgent forgot what's noble.

__________________
DC Rises

Last edited by fanboiii; 02-03-2013 at 08:43 AM.
fanboiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #33
moviedoors
Side-Kick
 
moviedoors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas City, TX
Posts: 2,335
Default Re: How would you make Superman Relevant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Imo people don't want Superman to be relevant/relatable et al, because he sets a standard they don't want to try reach.

His attitude of 'give' is far too unpopular in a world of 'take', and people don't want to change. We don't want to aspire to him, because it'd be too much effort.
I'm sorry, but that's over the top nonsense.

--------

You want to make Superman relevant to the public? Make a good movie. Done.

moviedoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #34
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest
 
BH/HHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Leeds
Posts: 14,838
Default Re: How would you make Superman Relevant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist View Post
Superman will always be relevant.

Trick is making him "cool"
This is exactly what it is, infact Snyder said we'll have to see how cool they've made him in the film.

__________________
MAN OF STEEL


THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #35
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick
 
The Boy Scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,038
Default Re: How would you make Superman Relevant?

Wanna make him relevant? Show everyone just how hard (and how awesome) it is to be Superman. The sacrifices he has to make. The benefit of being such an inspirational figure. The struggle of living in a world that needs a Superman. The awesomeness of having superpowers.

If you do that, and you do it well, Superman will become relevant in no time.

The Boy Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #36
The Guard
Side-Kick
 
The Guard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 25,804
Default Re: How would you make Superman Relevant?

Quote:
I'm convinced that 99% of the people who say he's not relevant don't really care about relevancy. They're just trying to sound smart and probably enjoy stupid dime-a-dozen 1 dimensional action flicks.
Bingo.

__________________
Writer and Lyricist of GOTHAM'S KNIGHT: THE BATMAN MUSICAL

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #37
fanboiii
disciple of truth
 
fanboiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,883
Default Re: How would you make Superman Relevant?

radical extreme superman now with punching power!

__________________
DC Rises
fanboiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #38
JAKŪ
Upstart
 
JAKŪ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 7,363
Default Re: How would you make Superman Relevant?

Stop taking him so seriously and tell interesting stories with him. As hilarious as SuperDickery.com is, those crazy stories really nail the essence of why Superman is popular. What crazy things could you do if you had powers? That is why Superman was created.

__________________
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
You are now breathing manually.
JAKŪ



JAKŪ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #39
StarvingArtist
Side-Kick
 
StarvingArtist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,600
Default Re: How would you make Superman Relevant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKŪ View Post
Stop taking him so seriously and tell interesting stories with him. As hilarious as SuperDickery.com is, those crazy stories really nail the essence of why Superman is popular. What crazy things could you do if you had powers? That is why Superman was created.
Well this comment should stir the pot...

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Batman is Batman because of his bat motif's. Take them away and he's just Manman.
StarvingArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #40
JAKŪ
Upstart
 
JAKŪ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 7,363
Default Re: How would you make Superman Relevant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist View Post
Well this comment should stir the pot...
Obviously audiences are more sophisticated nowadays, what I'm suggesting is no different to what Morrison did in All Star Superman.

__________________
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
You are now breathing manually.
JAKŪ



JAKŪ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #41
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney
 
RachelDawes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: In a courtroom or tied up in a warehouse
Posts: 8,684
Default Re: How would you make Superman Relevant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visceral View Post
Okay, i don't disagree with this statement, but then why does he have that rep.
Probably because he's a nice guy with no real edge to him. Anti-heroes are all the rage these days. SR didn't help to convince young people that he's cool, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
How about a film where he's smashing up some bad guys with really cool special effects. I'm here to tell you, that's what people want. Michael Bay told me so
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKŪ View Post
Stop taking him so seriously and tell interesting stories with him.
I agree with both of these statements. Instead of moping around about how no one respects him, Superman writers should just show him being the tough, smart, but kind, badass he is. Relevancy and coolness will follow.

__________________
RIP Heath Ledger, the Best Joker Ever.
RachelDawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #42
StarvingArtist
Side-Kick
 
StarvingArtist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,600
Default Re: How would you make Superman Relevant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKŪ View Post
Obviously audiences are more sophisticated nowadays, what I'm suggesting is no different to what Morrison did in All Star Superman.
Ah, got it. The Superdickery reference threw me off.

Agreed, to a point.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Batman is Batman because of his bat motif's. Take them away and he's just Manman.

Last edited by StarvingArtist; 02-03-2013 at 02:31 PM.
StarvingArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #43
747
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.
 
747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sweden
Posts: 4,026
Default Re: How would you make Superman Relevant?

If you're unable to relate to Superman, you're heartless.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #44
747
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.
 
747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sweden
Posts: 4,026
Default Re: How would you make Superman Relevant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKŪ View Post
What crazy things could you do if you had powers? That is why Superman was created.
More like, what good and cool things could you do if you had all these amazing powers?

Crazy isn't the word I'd use.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #45
StarvingArtist
Side-Kick
 
StarvingArtist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,600
Default Re: How would you make Superman Relevant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
More like, what good and cool things could you do if you had all these amazing powers?

Crazy isn't the word I'd use.

Aw, so you wouldn't want this?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Batman is Batman because of his bat motif's. Take them away and he's just Manman.
StarvingArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #46
gdw
Side-Kick
 
gdw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans . . .
Posts: 4,708
Default Re: How would you make Superman Relevant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLightning View Post
The Joker didn't win, just putting it here.



The quote says "Your doctor really did get held up, Reagan" But I'm not quite sure what you mean with that . . .
Sorry, that was just a typo.

What I mean is that everything after that makes it sound like he's just throwing out platitudes. Takes away the sincerity.

__________________
You will never be forgoten Robert.

Thanks Cconn, for the avvy.

"Originally we wanted Bill Murray to play Batman." - Jon Peters.
gdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #47
Rodrigo90
RIP Robin
 
Rodrigo90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 19,122
Default Re: How would you make Superman Relevant?

I think the greatest test of this issue is when Superman's pitted against corporate Lex.

Lex's plot should be to show if Superman is relevant with someone like him around, someone who is a real representation of the kind of people we have in the world. Lex being the big businessman and philanthropist, who on the surface, is everything we want and aspire to be.

__________________
"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles "
Christopher Reeve

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr
3. Bryan Cranston NOT being Lex Luthor
4. Joker being the big bad in Batman: Arkham Origins
5. Green Goblin not wearing a mask and being mutated
Rodrigo90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #48
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz
 
BlueLightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,275
Default Re: How would you make Superman Relevant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
Sorry, that was just a typo.

What I mean is that everything after that makes it sound like he's just throwing out platitudes. Takes away the sincerity.
Oh, then I disagree.

__________________

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

BlueLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #49
Anubis
Sup?
 
Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The Nile Delta
Posts: 67,604
Default Re: How would you make Superman Relevant?

Yeah, the "platitude" is the true meaning of the scene.

Otherwise he's just passing along information. I mean, wtf?

__________________
Quote:
"Great, now I have to take over a whole planet because of your stupid boobs."
-Rick from Rick and Morty
Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. Đ2014 All Rights Reserved.