The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Comics

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 10:42 PM   #901
socool
True
 
socool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,969
Default Re: The SUPERIOR Spider-Man

Gotta admit, Slott has me hooked. I still think the whole concept is ********, but Slott is managing to write it very well. I'm actually really enjoying it, and Stegman's art really helps. I love his stuff.

Plus, I'm glad Slott is acknowledging the stupidity of the bat signal. Never made much sense to me for the very reason Ock doesn't like it.

__________________
"A Man Remembers His Debts"
socool is offline  
Old 01-31-2013, 10:47 PM   #902
VenomSpawn
WAAAAAAAAA
 
VenomSpawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 6,223
Default Re: The SUPERIOR Spider-Man

Yeah this has been pretty fun so far. And I'm totally excited that Miguel O'Hara is apparently going to appear in issue 7. In what capacity though, I wonder.

It's a shame Ramos is doing the art for that issue, though.

__________________
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
VenomSpawn is offline  
Old 02-01-2013, 12:36 AM   #903
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man
 
Wadaltmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 908
Default Re: The SUPERIOR Spider-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomSpawn View Post
Yeah this has been pretty fun so far. And I'm totally excited that Miguel O'Hara is apparently going to appear in issue 7. In what capacity though, I wonder.

It's a shame Ramos is doing the art for that issue, though.
Bold: YES! Finally!
Italics: Aaaaand the feeling's gone. I honestly don't hate Ramos's art, but it gets annoying after a while....

Wadaltmon is offline  
Old 02-01-2013, 12:55 AM   #904
Mr. Dent
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 8,956
Default Re: The SUPERIOR Spider-Man

So I'm starting to think Superior is really a dream. The way this entire issue read felt like a bad dream for Peter. He even pointed it out how crazy it is that no one has noticed he's acting like Dr. Horrible now. Also, little things like MJ repeating Crazy-town banana pants when we know Peter has never said that (yes I know it's a community reference but still) and also things like JJ suddenly liking Spider-Man. I don't care if he's taking a harder stance, if anything JJ would just criticize him harder if Spidey were to start acting like this. Everyone feels kind of OOC right now other than Carlie, and with Peter sitting back snarking the whole book, it feels entirely like this is still Peter's book and we're taking a Freaky Friday ride right now. It would explain why he's still alive and able to witness what is basically his worst nightmare.

Still, that said, I like the issue itself. It's very humorous and that shot of Ghost Spidey watching Ock NTR MJ was pretty epic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadaltmon View Post
Bold: YES! Finally!
Italics: Aaaaand the feeling's gone. I honestly don't hate Ramos's art, but it gets annoying after a while....
Especially when Ryan's art is so good.


Last edited by Mr. Dent; 02-01-2013 at 01:20 AM.
Mr. Dent is offline  
Old 02-01-2013, 02:17 AM   #905
Mr. Dent
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 8,956
Default Re: The SUPERIOR Spider-Man

More Spidey #3 preview images




Ryan Stegman's art is killing it.

Mr. Dent is offline  
Old 02-01-2013, 07:39 AM   #906
socool
True
 
socool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,969
Default Re: The SUPERIOR Spider-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
and also things like JJ suddenly liking Spider-Man. I don't care if he's taking a harder stance, if anything JJ would just criticize him harder if Spidey were to start acting like this.
You didn't read #700, did you?

__________________
"A Man Remembers His Debts"
socool is offline  
Old 02-01-2013, 09:07 AM   #907
THUNDERSTRIKE
SWINEFELD... A HAMLET HOG
 
THUNDERSTRIKE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Within the endless maze and fighting to the end.
Posts: 5,441
Default Re: The SUPERIOR Spider-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
So I'm starting to think Superior is really a dream. The way this entire issue read felt like a bad dream for Peter. He even pointed it out how crazy it is that no one has noticed he's acting like Dr. Horrible now. Also, little things like MJ repeating Crazy-town banana pants when we know Peter has never said that (yes I know it's a community reference but still) and also things like JJ suddenly liking Spider-Man. I don't care if he's taking a harder stance, if anything JJ would just criticize him harder if Spidey were to start acting like this. Everyone feels kind of OOC right now other than Carlie, and with Peter sitting back snarking the whole book, it feels entirely like this is still Peter's book and we're taking a Freaky Friday ride right now. It would explain why he's still alive and able to witness what is basically his worst nightmare.

Still, that said, I like the issue itself. It's very humorous and that shot of Ghost Spidey watching Ock NTR MJ was pretty epic.


Especially when Ryan's art is so good.
kinda like that season opener of the original Dallas series where it was revealed that the entire previous season was merely Pam Ewing's bad dream?...

maan, that would be the ultimate slap in the fans' faces by Slott and Marvel if the Superior series was revealed to be nothing more than a bad dream...

a bad dream for the READERS is what it WOULD be, as well as a cheap and cheezy ploy by Slott and Co. if THAT were the case...

__________________
Always offensive and ON the offensive...
and always defiant, as well...
so just get over it, tough guy...
there's not a damn thing you can do about it.

If you managed to have even one thought processed thru that one brain cell that you possess...
you'd probably cut a fart, overload your brain and explode your ass apart.

yeah, right... **** IT!
THUNDERSTRIKE is offline  
Old 02-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #908
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!
 
Naked Bat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Gotham city
Posts: 7,667
Default Re: The SUPERIOR Spider-Man

I don't think that's what they are planning. The whole "I'm finding a way back" at the end of Superior #1 is clearly the key. It means it's not definitive, and Peter CAN find a way. Making this a dream would be meaningless imo.

__________________
GTA V the movie
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Share your ps4 videos
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...1#post30079049
Naked Bat is offline  
Old 02-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #909
Mr. Dent
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 8,956
Default Re: The SUPERIOR Spider-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by socool View Post
You didn't read #700, did you?
I did. You can go back and look at my post on it in this very thread. That just helps my point. Why would JJ cheer Spidey on for crushing a villains jaw brutally in front of everyone? That just vindicates his fear of Spider-Man going too far one day. My impression of JJ has always been that even though he gives Spider-Man a hard time, deep down he only does it to keep him honest and he really believes in him because he never has gone too far. Doing things like that would only make JJ worse.

Mr. Dent is offline  
Old 02-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #910
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...
 
Themanofbat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: With your Mom in Moncton, NB, Canada
Posts: 39,370
Default Re: The SUPERIOR Spider-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
I did. You can go back and look at my post on it in this very thread. That just helps my point. Why would JJ cheer Spidey on for crushing a villains jaw brutally in front of everyone? That just vindicates his fear of Spider-Man going too far one day. My impression of JJ has always been that even though he gives Spider-Man a hard time, deep down he only does it to keep him honest and he really believes in him because he never has gone too far. Doing things like that would only make JJ worse.
While I can agree with you for most of what you said... there's a couple of things to bear in mind...

1) The villain who got his jaw busted was none other than the Scorpion... a villain that was created by JJJ himself. A villain who has tried to kill JJJ many times over the years. I can totally get behind JJJ cheering as he watches the Scorpion getting beaten up.

2) JJJ's stance on Spider-Man may have softened a little since Marla's death and Spider-Island, as well as his stance on "keeping his city safe" has definitely hardened... to the point of approved brutality.

This change in JJJ comes across as very organic in my mind, so I have no issues with how things are playing out...


__________________
Alea Jacta Est

Read The Amazing Spider-Man...100% pure Spider-Man Goodness...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Play Spider-Man Trivia here...
Themanofbat is offline  
Old 02-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #911
Vid Electricz
Banned User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,845
Default Re: The SUPERIOR Spider-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUNDERSTRIKE View Post
kinda like that season opener of the original Dallas series where it was revealed that the entire previous season was merely Pam Ewing's bad dream?...

maan, that would be the ultimate slap in the fans' faces by Slott and Marvel if the Superior series was revealed to be nothing more than a bad dream...

a bad dream for the READERS is what it WOULD be, as well as a cheap and cheezy ploy by Slott and Co. if THAT were the case...

Is a brain swap NOT a cheap and cheezy ploy? I mean, talk about scraping the bottom of the "lame 1960's comic book conventions" barrel...

This is the cheezy stuff that gives comics a bad name.

Vid Electricz is offline  
Old 02-02-2013, 12:12 AM   #912
Hobgoblin
Veritas veritatum
 
Hobgoblin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Lost with a faulty compass.
Posts: 18,909
Default Re: The SUPERIOR Spider-Man

Vulture kind of looks like Ian McKellan in that art (the top panel). I'm kind of disappointed that he is still using the wingless look.

Hobgoblin is offline  
Old 02-02-2013, 03:39 AM   #913
Mr. Dent
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 8,956
Default Re: The SUPERIOR Spider-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
Vulture kind of looks like Ian McKellan in that art (the top panel). I'm kind of disappointed that he is still using the wingless look.
Marking this post for when they cast McKellan as Vulture in TASM3.

EDIT: Holy **** I just noticed Ghost Peter is in the background in that panel...he still has access to Ock's memories...


Last edited by Mr. Dent; 02-02-2013 at 03:43 AM.
Mr. Dent is offline  
Old 02-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #914
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man
 
Wadaltmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 908
Default Re: The SUPERIOR Spider-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Ryan Stegman's art is killing it.
Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Wadaltmon is offline  
Old 02-02-2013, 10:29 PM   #915
socool
True
 
socool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,969
Default Re: The SUPERIOR Spider-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadaltmon View Post
Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
The only time the phrase "Ryan Stegman's art" and "bad" are ever connected is with a "is never"

__________________
"A Man Remembers His Debts"
socool is offline  
Old 02-02-2013, 10:35 PM   #916
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods
 
Scarecrow_King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The Point of Diminishing Returns
Posts: 5,022
Default Re: The SUPERIOR Spider-Man

It's funny to me, a lot of people seem to love Stegman's work. But he hasn't really done that much. Scarlet Spider has been his longest running stint, hasn't it?

__________________
Well, it's been a shattering disillusionment. Goodnight.
Scarecrow_King is offline  
Old 02-02-2013, 11:46 PM   #917
runawayboulder
#TheFappening
 
runawayboulder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the edge
Posts: 17,407
Default Re: The SUPERIOR Spider-Man

I didn't think he was all that special on Scarlet Spider but he's really brought his A game to Superior.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
This is a message board...no one killed your mother or had sex with your dog.....try to move on in life.
runawayboulder is offline  
Old 02-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #918
Will Nolte
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 505
Default Re: The SUPERIOR Spider-Man

Stegman seems to be finding his style, much like Bagley did during his Amazing run. I find Stegman's Scarlet Spider work a lot like Bagley's New Warriors work, was good, but neither hit their stride at that point.

Will Nolte is offline  
Old 02-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #919
Doc Ock
Merry Christmas SHH!
 
Doc Ock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oklahoma, US
Posts: 8,026
Default Re: The SUPERIOR Spider-Man

I'm really looking forward to see where Superior is going with the ghost Peter stuff, Marvel NOW has thrust into a very interesting time in Marvel Comics. Now if I only could stop biting off more comics than I can chew....

__________________
Hail HydraSinestro!
The Winter Soldier - 9/10 | The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 6.5/10 | Days of Future Past - 9/10 | TMNT - ???? | Guardians of the Galaxy - 10/10
Doc Ock is offline  
Old 02-03-2013, 11:19 PM   #920
Mr. Dent
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 8,956
Default Re: The SUPERIOR Spider-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
I'm really looking forward to see where Superior is going with the ghost Peter stuff, Marvel NOW has thrust into a very interesting time in Marvel Comics. Now if I only could stop biting off more comics than I can chew....
I know what you mean. By the end of next month I'll be buying Avengers, New Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, All-New X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, Superior Spider-Man, Avenging Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, FF, Thor: God of Thunder, Indestructible Hulk, Hawkeye, Captain Marvel, Guardians of the Galaxy, Nova....

And that's not even touching on the DC titles.

Mr. Dent is offline  
Old 02-03-2013, 11:23 PM   #921
Doc Ock
Merry Christmas SHH!
 
Doc Ock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oklahoma, US
Posts: 8,026
Default Re: The SUPERIOR Spider-Man

I want to buy DC titles but just simply cannot afford it, if I don't want other things I could...but I cant focus all my money towards comics.

I was thinking about trying out Fantastic Four, Indestructible Hulk, and Uncanny Avengers. But with GotG and Uncanny X-Men on the way I don't think its feasible.

__________________
Hail HydraSinestro!
The Winter Soldier - 9/10 | The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 6.5/10 | Days of Future Past - 9/10 | TMNT - ???? | Guardians of the Galaxy - 10/10
Doc Ock is offline  
Old 02-03-2013, 11:57 PM   #922
Mr. Dent
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 8,956
Default Re: The SUPERIOR Spider-Man

If you're willing to pick up just one more I'd definitely recommend Hulk out of those three, it's great right now.

Mr. Dent is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #923
shinlyle
King of the Haters
 
shinlyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: On top of the world.
Posts: 11,757
Default Re: The SUPERIOR Spider-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
If you're willing to pick up just one more I'd definitely recommend Hulk out of those three, it's great right now.
Hulk is...well...Incredible.
I'm on a very modest budget, now. So, I only pick up the following Marvel titles:
-Spider-man (whatever adjective, but no Ultimate)
-Daredevil
-Hawkeye
-Indestructible Hulk

DC, I just get Batman and Fables, which I cannot recommend enough. With Image I get Saga and The Walking Dead, which I just assume everyone reads.

I would REALLY love to be readin Young Avengers, but, sadly, I cannot justify the money. Guardians of the Galaxy may have to be purchased, though. McNiven's pencils always seem to get my money.


As for Stegman on Superior, he is killing it. The story and art both have me hooked. I wasn't sure I would enjoy this title, but here I am, anxiously awaiting the next installment.

__________________
Check out my comics!
www.highburn.com

Check out my art!
http://shinlyle.deviantart.com/
shinlyle is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #924
moraldeficiency
Maxwell's Demon
 
moraldeficiency's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: sunny florida
Posts: 9,512
Default Re: The SUPERIOR Spider-Man

A couple thoughts on SSM 2...

Peter Parker has completely become the annoying jimmny cricket of the book and is one of the worst characters in it (exactly as I feared would happen). Crazy town banana pants...just #@$^ing crazy town banana pants.

Ock's reasoning about MJ came out of no where and made no sense. By the logic no hero or villain should ever be with anyone romantically or socially and they should leave their families at once.

Why doesn't carlie mention her suspicions (although it's stupid these are still suspicions at this point) to MJ?

How did Ock live that long and just discover masturbation now?

How much of a joke is the chameleon if he always gets discovered impersonating Peter immediately but ock can be completely out of character, have someone straight up told what has happened but only that one person who was FREAKING TOLD what happened is even a little suspicious? Explain.

This book is sadly not as fun as I thought it would be. Without the MJ triangle and with Peter being a buzz kill a lot of the fun ways they could have explored this have disappeared within two issues. So far the only Superior Spider-Man showing I've enjoyed has been Avenging with the X-Men which featured everything I wanted from Ock as Spider-Man and with actual intelligent people around him. Wolverine has thus far proven to be smarter than Peter's supporting cast, his coworkers and daredevil with ease.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post
Let me see .. Republicans are mostly gay ... Democrats oppose Republicans ... so Democrats are homophobic! :eek:

OMG, it makes sense now. Does Fox News know about this?
moraldeficiency is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #925
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...
 
Themanofbat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: With your Mom in Moncton, NB, Canada
Posts: 39,370
Default Re: The SUPERIOR Spider-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by moraldeficiency View Post
How did Ock live that long and just discover masturbation now?
After his accident, his mechanical arms did it for him while he slept...

I can't speak for what happened prior to that... cheap hookers I would assume...


__________________
Alea Jacta Est

Read The Amazing Spider-Man...100% pure Spider-Man Goodness...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Play Spider-Man Trivia here...
Themanofbat is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.