The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Comics

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #926
Will Nolte
Side-Kick

Default Re: The SUPERIOR Spider-Man

Stegman seems to be finding his style, much like Bagley did during his Amazing run. I find Stegman's Scarlet Spider work a lot like Bagley's New Warriors work, was good, but neither hit their stride at that point.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #927
Doc Ock
Hellboy for Halloween?

I'm really looking forward to see where Superior is going with the ghost Peter stuff, Marvel NOW has thrust into a very interesting time in Marvel Comics. Now if I only could stop biting off more comics than I can chew....

Old 02-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #928
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
I'm really looking forward to see where Superior is going with the ghost Peter stuff, Marvel NOW has thrust into a very interesting time in Marvel Comics. Now if I only could stop biting off more comics than I can chew....
I know what you mean. By the end of next month I'll be buying Avengers, New Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, All-New X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, Superior Spider-Man, Avenging Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, FF, Thor: God of Thunder, Indestructible Hulk, Hawkeye, Captain Marvel, Guardians of the Galaxy, Nova....

And that's not even touching on the DC titles.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #929
Doc Ock
Hellboy for Halloween?

I want to buy DC titles but just simply cannot afford it, if I don't want other things I could...but I cant focus all my money towards comics.

I was thinking about trying out Fantastic Four, Indestructible Hulk, and Uncanny Avengers. But with GotG and Uncanny X-Men on the way I don't think its feasible.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #930
Mr. Dent
Banned User

If you're willing to pick up just one more I'd definitely recommend Hulk out of those three, it's great right now.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #931
shinlyle
King of the Haters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
If you're willing to pick up just one more I'd definitely recommend Hulk out of those three, it's great right now.
Hulk is...well...Incredible.
I'm on a very modest budget, now. So, I only pick up the following Marvel titles:
-Spider-man (whatever adjective, but no Ultimate)
-Daredevil
-Hawkeye
-Indestructible Hulk

DC, I just get Batman and Fables, which I cannot recommend enough. With Image I get Saga and The Walking Dead, which I just assume everyone reads.

I would REALLY love to be readin Young Avengers, but, sadly, I cannot justify the money. Guardians of the Galaxy may have to be purchased, though. McNiven's pencils always seem to get my money.

As for Stegman on Superior, he is killing it. The story and art both have me hooked. I wasn't sure I would enjoy this title, but here I am, anxiously awaiting the next installment.

Check out my art!
http://shinlyle.deviantart.com/
Old 02-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #932
moraldeficiency
Maxwell's Demon

A couple thoughts on SSM 2...

Peter Parker has completely become the annoying jimmny cricket of the book and is one of the worst characters in it (exactly as I feared would happen). Crazy town banana pants...just #@$^ing crazy town banana pants.

Ock's reasoning about MJ came out of no where and made no sense. By the logic no hero or villain should ever be with anyone romantically or socially and they should leave their families at once.

Why doesn't carlie mention her suspicions (although it's stupid these are still suspicions at this point) to MJ?

How did Ock live that long and just discover masturbation now?

How much of a joke is the chameleon if he always gets discovered impersonating Peter immediately but ock can be completely out of character, have someone straight up told what has happened but only that one person who was FREAKING TOLD what happened is even a little suspicious? Explain.

This book is sadly not as fun as I thought it would be. Without the MJ triangle and with Peter being a buzz kill a lot of the fun ways they could have explored this have disappeared within two issues. So far the only Superior Spider-Man showing I've enjoyed has been Avenging with the X-Men which featured everything I wanted from Ock as Spider-Man and with actual intelligent people around him. Wolverine has thus far proven to be smarter than Peter's supporting cast, his coworkers and daredevil with ease.

OMG, it makes sense now. Does Fox News know about this?
Old 02-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #933
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moraldeficiency View Post
After his accident, his mechanical arms did it for him while he slept...

I can't speak for what happened prior to that... cheap hookers I would assume...

Read The Amazing Spider-Man...100% pure Spider-Man Goodness...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Play Spider-Man Trivia here...
Old 02-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #934
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by moraldeficiency View Post
Ock's reasoning about MJ came out of no where and made no sense. By the logic no hero or villain should ever be with anyone romantically or socially and they should leave their families at once.

Why doesn't carlie mention her suspicions (although it's stupid these are still suspicions at this point) to MJ?

How much of a joke is the chameleon if he always gets discovered impersonating Peter immediately but ock can be completely out of character, have someone straight up told what has happened but only that one person who was FREAKING TOLD what happened is even a little suspicious? Explain.

Seriously? Seriously? If these are the kinds of questions one is left scratching their head over after reading a Spider-Man comic book in 2013, then I've lost all hope.

All those articles proclaiming that "comics aren't just for kids anymore" are completely wrong, because they totally are.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #935
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

It was clearly a joke. Calm the **** down.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #936
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow_King View Post
It was clearly a joke. Calm the **** down.

lol. It is a joke! And it's on the people who pay money for this stuff!

Old 02-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #937
Doc Ock
Hellboy for Halloween?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Electricz View Post
And it's on the people who pay money for this stuff!

Old 02-04-2013, 05:54 PM   #938
moraldeficiency
Maxwell's Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanofbat View Post
After his accident, his mechanical arms did it for him while he slept...

I can't speak for what happened prior to that... cheap hookers I would assume...

No, it was like a revelation. Peter's memories taught him how to masturbate...some scientist.

And those mechanical arms would not a happy penis make.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #939
moraldeficiency
Maxwell's Demon

Quote:
Seriously? Seriously? If these are the kinds of questions one is left scratching their head over after reading a Spider-Man comic book in 2013, then I've lost all hope.

All those articles proclaiming that "comics aren't just for kids anymore" are completely wrong, because they totally are.
Hey they put a masturbation sequence in the book. So lose hope, lose it now. Maybe give into hate or casual indifference? Actually I heard wonderful things about delusions of grandeur. You can pretend you're a king or some kind of wizard, that should be fun. Much better than hope.

But hey kids masturbate, I've got a cousin that's like addicted to it. It's a kid subject. Besides ock masturbating to MJ was actually by far the least disturbing sexual sequence in Spider-Man in the last 3 years. So in that regards, slott's on an uphill swing. Next stop second generation incest!

Old 02-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #940
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post

Well it is. Mind swapping? That was just as cheesy back in the 60's as it is now.

I wish they'd concentrate on just writing engrossing stories rather than relying on these gimmicks and "earth-shattering" events every other month.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #941
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

I cannot stress enough how much I am loving this title so far. The latest issue with the Vulture, where it showed Ock seemed to have some kind of warped respect for Toomes because Toomes showed it to him back in their early Sinister Six days was a neat touch.

I loved the flashback memory to Ock's childhood where Peter saw his father beating him as a child. These kind of personal touches are really enhancing the story for me.

I'd say Carlie has not voiced her suspicions yet because they are still just that. Suspicions. No real proof. The idea that Ock's mind is in Peter's body sounds crazy. Nobody would believe her and there's no way of proving it. Ock has all of Peter's memories. He could answer anything personal about him.

- The Joker
Old 02-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #942
Godzilla2000
Humble Huntress

I haven't read a Spiderman comic for over a decade but what's the status on Eddie Brock/Venom? I've been watching user reviews for this Superior Spider-man and it's like by having Doc Ock's spirit inhabiting Peter's body they're making him act like Venom.

- I take growing my hair extremely long for charity VERY seriously. Think of the children!

STOP THE INSANITY!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Understanding me:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/1...usaolp00000592
Old 02-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #943
HELL N' SPIDERS
Spider with a Power Ring

^^Wow really? Ok.

<SPOILERS>

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Eddie Brock lost his symbiote a long time ago and had cancer, was then cured by "Mr. Negatives" healing power, that made him become Anti-Venom, and then he used his Anti-Venom to save New York during Spider-Island, and then he was hunting down all the symbiotes and killing them (as seen in the current Venom comic) and then he was captured and forced to merge with Toxin.

"The Safe-Word Is Pumpkin"

The Spider With a Power Ring
Old 02-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #944
Themanofbat

Quote:
Well it is. Mind swapping? That was just as cheesy back in the 60's as it is now.

I wish they'd concentrate on just writing engrossing stories rather than relying on these gimmicks and "earth-shattering" events every other month.
I like the 60's cheese... it made me buy comics in the 70's & the 80's... and somewhere along the lines of 1985, comics became "serious", and while there are some brilliant gems in the new serious tone; Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Preacher, The Dark Knight Returns, HellBlazer, etc... I can still enjoy classic 60's style stories... why? BECAUSE THEY ARE FUN!!!!

Thanks for listening.

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Old 02-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #945
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanofbat View Post
I like the 60's cheese... it made me buy comics in the 70's & the 80's... and somewhere along the lines of 1985, comics became "serious", and while there are some brilliant gems in the new serious tone; Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Preacher, The Dark Knight Returns, HellBlazer, etc... I can still enjoy classic 60's style stories... why? BECAUSE THEY ARE FUN!!!!

Thanks for listening.

Don't get me wrong- I LOVE the 60's ASM comics. The Lee/Ditko run has never been topped in my opinion. They did something new that people are still trying to emulate today!

The reason comics became serious is because artists like Frank Miller and Alone Moore etc... showed what could be accomplished in a medium which was widely accepted as "kids stuff". Expectations were raised in terms of what we should expect in terms of storytelling quality- and rightly so.

The character of Spider-Man has become stagnant though. Marvel won't let him grow and prefers he remain in a state of arrested development. Not many interesting stories you can tell in those confines.

But Marvel's not interested in telling interesting, compelling stories, they're interested in selling books. Every month there's an "event that will shake the world of (insert character) to their core!" It's all a gimmick. Just like this mind swap stuff. In a years time (just in time for the movie! How about that!), all this Ock stuff will be over and everything will return to the status quo as though it never happened. How dreadfully boring.

Comics can be fun without resorting to poor, gimmicky storytelling! Just because it's not "dark" and "super serious" doesn't mean it has to be cheesy and gimmicky either.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #946
Thwip!
Side-Kick

Enjoyed the hell out of #3

Old 02-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #947
Themanofbat

#3 was pretty sweet...

Old 02-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #948
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Another great issue. People have been criticizing the book for not being an Otto redemption story so far, but that's missing the point of why Peter is there. This isn't just an Otto redemption story, it's a Peter/Ock bonding story. They're each other's greatest enemies and their intimately learning about each other. That's pretty clear now from this issue and it's ****ing awesome. Can't wait to see what Carlie does next.

And once again, Stegman's art is spot on. This is what I imagine a 2013 Spider-Man comic book should look like, fun, sleek character designs, and great action scenes. This book is turning out way better than I expected. It's honestly some of Slott's best work so far, and it's augmented by Stegman's great art. Giuseppe Camuncoli is on issue 4 though. I don't think he can do as good as Stegman but hopefully he doesn't take away from anything either.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:35 PM   #949
Spidey_62
Eeeeeeeeeeelectro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Another great issue. People have been criticizing the book for not being an Otto redemption story so far, but that's missing the point of why Peter is there. This isn't just an Otto redemption story, it's a Peter/Ock bonding story. They're each other's greatest enemies and their intimately learning about each other. That's pretty clear now from this issue and it's ****ing awesome. Can't wait to see what Carlie does next.

And once again, Stegman's art is spot on. This is what I imagine a 2013 Spider-Man comic book should look like, fun, sleek character designs, and great action scenes. This book is turning out way better than I expected. It's honestly some of Slott's best work so far, and it's augmented by Stegman's great art. Giuseppe Camuncoli is on issue 4 though. I don't think he can do as good as Stegman but hopefully he doesn't take away from anything either.
Agreed!

"So you don't like names, huh? Well that's too bad, Frog-Face. 'Cause to me you're nothing but a two-bit, no-account, second-rate, sewer-breath-baboon with a brain of a pigeon and the face of an eel!" ~ Spider-Man

DeviantArt. Art blog. Hype Art Thread. Twitter. Instagram. YouTube.

INFINITE WONDERS- read comics I draw. _TIMESPACE.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:36 AM   #950
Spider-Gnome
The Arach-Gnome

I too loved this past issue. This is turning into a good character study in which both Pete and Ock are learning a lot about the other. Ock's come up with interesting updates to Spidey's tech and methods. The art is great. I mean what's not to like? Seriously, I don't get the complaints that this change happened and then more complaints that it's not permanent. Some just seem to complain for the sake of complaining (seriously, moraldeficiency?).

The Spectacular Spider-Man:
The BEST adaptation of the Spider-Man comics in any form
Closed Thread