Dark Knight Rises 48 77.42%
Spider-Man 3 6 9.68%
Superman Returns 1 1.61%
Batman Forever 3 4.84%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #26
regwec
Shakespearo

Default Re: Rank the 3rd CBM's in a franchise.

TDKR, while a disappointing and unexceptional film, is easily the best of these.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #27
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

I don't think any of those movies are what I'd call good but I'd give it to TDKR by a hair above X3 for the top spot.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #28
Doc Ock
1951-2014

I..uh...I...well....

Ivotedspider-man3!

*goes and hides*

Old 02-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #29
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

No fear. All 3 are reasonably close together, I'd say. I gave TDKR a 5.5/10, X3 a 5/10 and SM3 a 4.5/10. They all have some good moments to them. It's just that the bad is too much to overcome to keep them what I would accept as good movies.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:59 AM   #30
Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
TDKR... a disappointing and unexceptional film
That was enough to post.

Spider-Man 3 does have flaws but clearly is the best of the number three films. Stumbling because a film is overambitious beats a poorly paced and badly written film that coasts off the greatness of its second installment like TDKR. SM3 could have played it safe but choose to try and jam too much in to the story. It still delivered some good stuff. You honestly can't say that about TDKR.

Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #31
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel View Post
That was enough to post.

Spider-Man 3 does have flaws but clearly is the best of the number three films. Stumbling because a film is overambitious beats a poorly paced and badly written film that coasts off the greatness of its second installment like TDKR. SM3 could have played it safe but choose to try and jam too much in to the story. It still delivered some good stuff. You honestly can't say that about TDKR.
X-Men 3 is better than Spider-Man 3 IMO.

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
JB-the-Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #32
lordofthenerds
Not a Goddamn Side-Kick

Quote:
That was enough to post.

This actually sums up Spider-Man 3 far better than TDKR. The film that featured every plot device in the book.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
You officially have no life.
lordofthenerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #33
Rorschach2012
$

this isnt even a question. TDKR.

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #34
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

I think it's clear all of these films have flaws. I personally believe that of these TDKR is by far the most over rated (people were talking oscar nominations, which is laughable considering how many gaping plot holes it has and bad script writing). X3 IMO is probably the most underrated, mainly due to the complete disregard and killing of major characters (although I find it hilarious that Prof X dies X3 style in A vs. X).

Spider-man 3 is panned more than it deserves, but after time I think it's the most disapointing of the three. I didn't feel that when the film came out.

Superman 3, Superman Returns and Batman Forever are films I wish never existed.

so in summary I'd say:

Dark Knight Rises

The good: most satisfying end to the trillogy, has some faithful hommage to the Knightfall story line, and JGL delivers a great performance.

The bad: Fails with gaping plot holes, Why didn't Fox just flood the chamber? Dr. Pavel is the only scientist to know how to enrich uranium? 6 months go by and they can only trak the truck at the last second? A major city is held by a terrorist and the President sends 3 special forces soldiers and that's it? Bruce makes it back from undisclosed prison to Gotham with just enough time to spare to stop the bomb? Bruce fixes the auto pilot but we see him in the cockpit just seconds before the bomb detinates?

The ugly: Matthew Modine in his dress blues firing a .45 at an armored tank. Cops charging like it's freaking bravehart (apparently none of the Gothem PD served time in the military or have any tactical combat training). Bane's McDonald's drive through speaker voice. Talia's death scene.

X3 - The Good - Kelsey Grammer does and excellent job as Beast, good plot use of "the cure" as a primary plot driver. Nice nods to the fan, including Colossus throwing Logan, and the danger room training scene.

The Bad - the effects for the Phonix force, that it's not a force at all just a part of Jean's psyche, locked away by Xavier. Having Rogue take the cure.

The ugly - killing of Cyclops and Xavier, and using a line for Juggernaught that was based off an internet spoof video.

Spider-man 3

The good: Sandman, both THC's performance, and the special effects. Capturing alot of the comic action, and some great scenes of Spider-man in the back suit. And after all the contraversy surrounding Danny Elfman's deaparture, Chistopher Young's music really sets the tone of the film.

The bad: Too much going on, conflicting plots, too much left to coincidence. Peter just happens to be in the one spot where the meteor hits, Marco just happns to run through a field where they are conducting science experiments in the middle of the night, etc., etc.

The ugly: The dancing and the crying.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #35
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
The ugly: Matthew Modine in his dress blues firing a .45 at an armored tank. Cops charging like it's freaking bravehart (apparently none of the Gothem PD served time in the military or have any tactical combat training).
I don't think you need any military training to realise that guns shoot out bullets, so you don't need to run aimlessly towards the fellow you're trying to kill. A short game of cowboys and Indians as a child should suffice.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #36
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
I don't think you need any military training to realise that guns shoot out bullets, so you don't need to run aimlessly towards the fellow you're trying to kill. A short game of cowboys and Indians as a child should suffice.
True dat!

Old 02-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #37
Squaremaster316
Side-Kick

Quote:
That was enough to post.

Catwoman/Bane >>> Venom/Sandman

TDKR had a superior script and better characterizations of the regulars.

Anyone who's seen both films can HONESTLY say that TDKR is superior.

Squaremaster316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #38
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squaremaster316 View Post
Catwoman/Bane >>> Venom/Sandman

TDKR had a superior script and better characterizations of the regulars.

Anyone who's seen both films can HONESTLY say that TDKR is superior.
Both films have good points and both films have serious flaws. Bane was horrible IMO, but I found Sandman to be a compelling character. I'll agree with you on Venom, but Catwoman wasn't that interesting, at least not near as interesting as Michelle Pfeiffer's character.

I do give the edge to TDKR but not for the reasons you state. As far as a superior script, at least Spider-man 3 was intentionally corny in parts, I don't think Nolan wanted Bane to come off as some weird circus freak with a fast food drive through speaker for a voice.

Spider-man 3's problam was as I mentioned above, way too much going on that's not interconnected. TDKR had a solid plot line, but it's execution was sloppy. By far it was the worst of the Nolan trillogy, IMO.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #39
regwec
Shakespearo

TDKR represents failed ambitions, while SM3 was a failure of ambition. The former is more forgivable, but still forgettable.