The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #826
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!
 
Lencho01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 16,020
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
It's all for fun though. :P I'm not pretending to be right. The only way to know for sure is to ask the designer.
No problem.

I will say I'm happy they didn't go with something that looked like a Z.

__________________
I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline  
Old 02-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #827
Kal-El.9859
Life Found A Way
 
Kal-El.9859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Smallville/Metropolis
Posts: 10,562
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

so much *****ing over the Zod symbol. It is what it is. To me it looks like it could be their form of a Kryptonian Z...what sense would it make for it to be an obvious Omega? None at all

__________________
My father believed, if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me...out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?
-Superman

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline  
Old 02-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #828
fanboiii
♢♦ ᴍᴀᴅ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ♦♢
 
fanboiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 4,320
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

There's no sense in making it an omega at all. The design came from somewhere though and there was thought put into it.

In fact, there was thought put into all of Krypton.

Quote:
concerning the mythology of Superman’s iconic S in Zack Snyder’s Man of Steel by costume designer Michael Wilkinson.

Wilkinson explained that since they created a “neo-medieval” back story for Krypton (which included the creation of a new language), it made sense to utilize the suit design as part of the mythology. “Everyone on Krypton wears this suit,” he suggested. Using ZBrush and rapid prototyping, Wilkinson came up the blue/gray color and chainmail look. “It has function and purpose and a logic to this fantastical world,” he added.
That's why basing Zod's symbol on a Medieval Z makes sense to me way more than a Greek omega or the Communist symbol.

__________________
DC Rɪsᴇs
fanboiii is offline  
Old 02-03-2013, 11:50 PM   #829
LeXcalibur
Lord Luthor
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 290
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

zod symbol looks russian'esque

LeXcalibur is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #830
regwec
Shakespearo
 
regwec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Herne's Oak
Posts: 23,938
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
Nope. Unlike you, I didn't decide what it looked like from the start. That's why you're reasoning backwards. I'm making a deduction, which is thinking backwards. That's not the same as already having a conclusion and trying to justify that conclusion: reasoning backwards.

By nerd application, do you mean thought?
1) How do you know I 'decided what it looked like from the start'? I said what it looked like to begin with, but I make a rule to think before I post.

2) I am interested by your distinction between 'thinking' and 'reasoning'. I'm not sure it corresponds to accepted usage. I also don't see what you are deducing. What have you deducted? Your thinking seems to be based on typological reasoning rather than deduction. Mine is based on deductive reasoning rather than typology.

3) By nerd application, I mean the undertaking of a type of esoteric analysis that was unlikely to have been considered in the production of the entity being analysed. You can call it 'over-thought' if you prefer, though it certainly wasn't meant to be pejorative anyway. We're all nerds here.

__________________
Better Off ----> Out
Love Freedom?
regwec is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #831
regwec
Shakespearo
 
regwec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Herne's Oak
Posts: 23,938
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
It is what it is.
That's probably the most salient opinion so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
To me it looks like it could be their form of a Kryptonian Z...what sense would it make for it to be an obvious Omega? None at all
No, and that's why it is twisted and bent. I think it is a modified omega, but that still makes it an omega.

We can now, of course, start quoting Wittgenstein at each other.

__________________
Better Off ----> Out
Love Freedom?
regwec is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #832
fanboiii
♢♦ ᴍᴀᴅ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ♦♢
 
fanboiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 4,320
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
1) How do you know I 'decided what it looked like from the start'? I said what it looked like to begin with, but I make a rule to think before I post.

2) I am interested by your distinction between 'thinking' and 'reasoning'. I'm not sure it corresponds to accepted usage. I also don't see what you are deducing. What have you deducted? Your thinking seems to be based on typological reasoning rather than deduction. Mine is based on deductive reasoning rather than typology.

3) By nerd application, I mean the undertaking of a type of esoteric analysis that was unlikely to have been considered in the production of the entity being analysed. You can call it 'over-thought' if you prefer, though it certainly wasn't meant to be pejorative anyway. We're all nerds here.
Sounds like more backwards reasoning and weak accusations. What amount of deductive reasoning did you really need to say it's an omega? Looking at it?

I already posted what the designer actually said about Krypton's design. Clearly there was "nerd application" or whatever you want to call it. Facts are on my side. I think my case is convincing enough. At least, way more convincing than just saying "oh it looks like an omega. that must be it!" I already pointed out how that flawed logic can conclude it's a horse shoe.

People can make up their minds however they want. At the end of the day, we're suppose to imagine it's a Kryptonian symbol just like Superman's shield. Yet another reason why an obvious omega makes no sense. The Medieval Z has been truncated to no longer completely resemble itself, and yet it's still related to Z for Zod, and matches the end product. All of Krypton also has a Medieval design. What a coincidence! Hmm, maybe that's how the design came to be. Medieval-inspired Krypton. Medieval-inspired Krypton symbol for Zod.

__________________
DC Rɪsᴇs

Last edited by fanboiii; 02-04-2013 at 01:39 PM.
fanboiii is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #833
regwec
Shakespearo
 
regwec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Herne's Oak
Posts: 23,938
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
Sounds like more backwards reasoning and weak accusations. What amount of deductive reasoning did you really need to say it's an omega? Looking at it?
No, we try to think about the designers possible thought process. The fact that the symbol is an omega (or omega-like, if you insist) in form is obviously evidential. If the design looked exactly like a cat, then I would infer a different thought process behind it.

What have I accused you of, exactly?

__________________
Better Off ----> Out
Love Freedom?
regwec is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #834
JAK®
Upstart
 
JAK®'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 7,380
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

From a designer's point of view, basing a symbol off the omega symbol is a weak concept. That's what you would do just to get started. Alpha and Omega is overplayed. Researching the main motif, which we know to be medieval times, and considering the symbol has to fit with the same logic as Superman's S, would lead a designer to consider taking a look at medieval script. That's how I would do it, anyway.

__________________
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
You are now breathing manually.
JAK®



JAK® is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #835
fanboiii
♢♦ ᴍᴀᴅ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ♦♢
 
fanboiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 4,320
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
The fact that the symbol is an omega (or omega-like, if you insist) in form is obviously evidential. If the design looked exactly like a cat, then I would infer a different thought process behind it.

What have I accused you of, exactly?
How is it a fact that the symbol is an omega? An omega is specific: The letter O in the Greek Alphabet. It's not even an exact omega. That's just a similar shape. Same shape as a U or a horse shoe. Comparing it to a cat is ridiculous because a cat has a very specific shape unlike a basic U curve. It only looks like an omega however distorted. That doesn't mean it was designed from or designed to be an omega.

__________________
DC Rɪsᴇs
fanboiii is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #836
Kal-El.9859
Life Found A Way
 
Kal-El.9859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Smallville/Metropolis
Posts: 10,562
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK® View Post
From a designer's point of view, basing a symbol off the omega symbol is a weak concept. That's what you would do just to get started. Alpha and Omega is overplayed. Researching the main motif, which we know to be medieval times, and considering the symbol has to fit with the same logic as Superman's S, would lead a designer to consider taking a look at medieval script. That's how I would do it, anyway.
Agreed

__________________
My father believed, if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me...out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?
-Superman

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #837
Nitrobot
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Brazil
Posts: 404
Awesome Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
That's a bit overly complicated, but I think you do have a point. A more direct idea is that Zod's symbol is inspired from Medieval Alphabet.



It matches the Medieval/Renaissance inspired look they used for Kryptonian design. Makes a lot more sense than the Hammer and Sickle theory.
And as the Greek lower case letter ς (sigma) looks the famous Kryptonian emblem we known as a "S", so Zod's emblem who resembles a "Z" could be indeed a Ezh or an Dze:



Abkhazian Dze (Ӡ ӡ; italics: Ӡ ӡ) is a letter of the Cyrillic script. It is used in the Abkhazian language where it represents the voiced alveolar affricate /dz/, pronounced like ⟨ds⟩ in "pods".

This letter was also used in one 1937 proposal (not adopted) for the Karelian Cyrillic alphabet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abkhazian_Dze
__________________________________________________ _______

Ezh (Ʒ ʒ), has its small letter used in the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA), representing the voiced postalveolar fricative consonant.

It is also called the "tailed z". Example: vision /ˈvɪʒən/. It is pronounced as the "s" in "treasure" or the "si" in the word "precision". (See also the Persian alphabet letter ژ.)

Ezh is used as a letter in some orthographies of Skolt Sami, both by itself, and with a caron (Ǯ ǯ). These denote partially voiced alveolar and post-alveolar affricates, respectively, broadly represented /dz/.

It also appears in the orthography of some African languages, for example in the Aja language of Benin and the Daghbani language of Ghana, where the uppercase variant looks like a reflected sigma (Σ).

Origin

Further information: tailed z

As a phonetic symbol, ezh originates with Isaac Pitman's alphabet in 1847, as a z with an added hook.

The symbol is based on medieval cursive forms of Latin z, evolving into the blackletter z letter. In Unicode, however, the blackletter z ("tailed z", German geschwänztes Z) is considered a glyph variant of z, and not an ezh.

In contexts where "tailed z" is used in contrast to tail-less z, notably in standard transcription of Middle High German, Unicode ʒ is sometimes used, strictly speaking incorrectly. Unicode offers ȥ "z with hook" as a grapheme for Middle High German coronal fricative instead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ezh_(letter)

Nitrobot is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #838
Kal-El.9859
Life Found A Way
 
Kal-El.9859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Smallville/Metropolis
Posts: 10,562
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrobot View Post
And as the Greek lower case letter ς (sigma) looks the famous Kryptonian emblem we known as a "S", so Zod's emblem who resembles a "Z" could be indeed a Ezh or an Dze:



Abkhazian Dze (Ӡ ӡ; italics: Ӡ ӡ) is a letter of the Cyrillic script. It is used in the Abkhazian language where it represents the voiced alveolar affricate /dz/, pronounced like ⟨ds⟩ in "pods".

This letter was also used in one 1937 proposal (not adopted) for the Karelian Cyrillic alphabet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abkhazian_Dze
__________________________________________________ _______

Ezh (Ʒ ʒ), has its small letter used in the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA), representing the voiced postalveolar fricative consonant.

It is also called the "tailed z". Example: vision /ˈvɪʒən/. It is pronounced as the "s" in "treasure" or the "si" in the word "precision". (See also the Persian alphabet letter ژ.)

Ezh is used as a letter in some orthographies of Skolt Sami, both by itself, and with a caron (Ǯ ǯ). These denote partially voiced alveolar and post-alveolar affricates, respectively, broadly represented /dz/.

It also appears in the orthography of some African languages, for example in the Aja language of Benin and the Daghbani language of Ghana, where the uppercase variant looks like a reflected sigma (Σ).

Origin

Further information: tailed z

As a phonetic symbol, ezh originates with Isaac Pitman's alphabet in 1847, as a z with an added hook.

The symbol is based on medieval cursive forms of Latin z, evolving into the blackletter z letter. In Unicode, however, the blackletter z ("tailed z", German geschwänztes Z) is considered a glyph variant of z, and not an ezh.

In contexts where "tailed z" is used in contrast to tail-less z, notably in standard transcription of Middle High German, Unicode ʒ is sometimes used, strictly speaking incorrectly. Unicode offers ȥ "z with hook" as a grapheme for Middle High German coronal fricative instead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ezh_(letter)
this pretty much strengthens my belief that it is NOT an Omega....period

__________________
My father believed, if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me...out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?
-Superman

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #839
The Shield
It's really Happening!
 
The Shield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,974
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

Well Damn, lol.

__________________
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof. ~John Kenneth Galbraith

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

The Shield is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #840
Kal-El.9859
Life Found A Way
 
Kal-El.9859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Smallville/Metropolis
Posts: 10,562
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

can we now please stop saying it's an Omega? I know people won't, but hey....a guy can hope and wish

__________________
My father believed, if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me...out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?
-Superman

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #841
sup101
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 685
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

Why are people saying it's Omega.That would be so unoriginal.

sup101 is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 08:28 PM   #842
Kryptonian Warrior
The Dawn Is Upon Us
SHH! Moderator
 
Kryptonian Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Posts: 4,755
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sup101 View Post
Why are people saying it's Omega.That would be so unoriginal.
Probably because it looks like an Omega symbol?

__________________
My Ever Growing Blu Ray Collection

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=230251
Kryptonian Warrior is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #843
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick
 
The Boy Scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,881
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

In the end...does anybody really care?

The Boy Scout is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #844
herolee10
S.W. Mourner
 
herolee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 16,400
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Scout View Post
In the end...does anybody really care?

herolee10 is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #845
sup101
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 685
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

It will be explained in the movie.

sup101 is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #846
Kal-El.9859
Life Found A Way
 
Kal-El.9859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Smallville/Metropolis
Posts: 10,562
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonian Warrior View Post
Probably because it looks like an Omega symbol?
but it also resembles a cursive Z and and midevil lettering as well....

__________________
My father believed, if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me...out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?
-Superman

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #847
Kryptonian Warrior
The Dawn Is Upon Us
SHH! Moderator
 
Kryptonian Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Posts: 4,755
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
but it also resembles a cursive Z and and midevil lettering as well....
Who knows....he could also be an intergalactic Colts fan.

__________________
My Ever Growing Blu Ray Collection

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=230251
Kryptonian Warrior is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #848
fanboiii
♢♦ ᴍᴀᴅ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ♦♢
 
fanboiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 4,320
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

It looks like a U before it looks like an Omega. So an omega is just about the last thing it looks like.

__________________
DC Rɪsᴇs
fanboiii is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #849
Kal-El.9859
Life Found A Way
 
Kal-El.9859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Smallville/Metropolis
Posts: 10,562
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonian Warrior View Post
Who knows....he could also be an intergalactic Colts fan.
that's what my money is on....

__________________
My father believed, if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me...out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?
-Superman

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #850
fanboiii
♢♦ ᴍᴀᴅ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ♦♢
 
fanboiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 4,320
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9



It also explains why the ends of the curve are different. The top end has a smaller angle. Looks like a solid match.


__________________
DC Rɪsᴇs
fanboiii is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.