Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #826
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
It's all for fun though. :P I'm not pretending to be right. The only way to know for sure is to ask the designer.
No problem.

I will say I'm happy they didn't go with something that looked like a Z.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 02-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #827
Kal-El.9859
Life Found A Way

so much *****ing over the Zod symbol. It is what it is. To me it looks like it could be their form of a Kryptonian Z...what sense would it make for it to be an obvious Omega? None at all

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 02-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #828
fanboiii
♢♦ ᴍᴀᴅ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ♦♢

There's no sense in making it an omega at all. The design came from somewhere though and there was thought put into it.

In fact, there was thought put into all of Krypton.

Quote:
concerning the mythology of Superman’s iconic S in Zack Snyder’s Man of Steel by costume designer Michael Wilkinson.

Wilkinson explained that since they created a “neo-medieval” back story for Krypton (which included the creation of a new language), it made sense to utilize the suit design as part of the mythology. “Everyone on Krypton wears this suit,” he suggested. Using ZBrush and rapid prototyping, Wilkinson came up the blue/gray color and chainmail look. “It has function and purpose and a logic to this fantastical world,” he added.
That's why basing Zod's symbol on a Medieval Z makes sense to me way more than a Greek omega or the Communist symbol.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:50 PM   #829
LeXcalibur
Lord Luthor

zod symbol looks russian'esque

Old 02-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #830
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Nope. Unlike you, I didn't decide what it looked like from the start. That's why you're reasoning backwards. I'm making a deduction, which is thinking backwards. That's not the same as already having a conclusion and trying to justify that conclusion: reasoning backwards.

By nerd application, do you mean thought?
1) How do you know I 'decided what it looked like from the start'? I said what it looked like to begin with, but I make a rule to think before I post.

2) I am interested by your distinction between 'thinking' and 'reasoning'. I'm not sure it corresponds to accepted usage. I also don't see what you are deducing. What have you deducted? Your thinking seems to be based on typological reasoning rather than deduction. Mine is based on deductive reasoning rather than typology.

3) By nerd application, I mean the undertaking of a type of esoteric analysis that was unlikely to have been considered in the production of the entity being analysed. You can call it 'over-thought' if you prefer, though it certainly wasn't meant to be pejorative anyway. We're all nerds here.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #831
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
It is what it is.
That's probably the most salient opinion so far.

Quote:
To me it looks like it could be their form of a Kryptonian Z...what sense would it make for it to be an obvious Omega? None at all
No, and that's why it is twisted and bent. I think it is a modified omega, but that still makes it an omega.

We can now, of course, start quoting Wittgenstein at each other.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #832
fanboiii
♢♦ ᴍᴀᴅ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ♦♢

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
1) How do you know I 'decided what it looked like from the start'? I said what it looked like to begin with, but I make a rule to think before I post.

2) I am interested by your distinction between 'thinking' and 'reasoning'. I'm not sure it corresponds to accepted usage. I also don't see what you are deducing. What have you deducted? Your thinking seems to be based on typological reasoning rather than deduction. Mine is based on deductive reasoning rather than typology.

3) By nerd application, I mean the undertaking of a type of esoteric analysis that was unlikely to have been considered in the production of the entity being analysed. You can call it 'over-thought' if you prefer, though it certainly wasn't meant to be pejorative anyway. We're all nerds here.
Sounds like more backwards reasoning and weak accusations. What amount of deductive reasoning did you really need to say it's an omega? Looking at it?

I already posted what the designer actually said about Krypton's design. Clearly there was "nerd application" or whatever you want to call it. Facts are on my side. I think my case is convincing enough. At least, way more convincing than just saying "oh it looks like an omega. that must be it!" I already pointed out how that flawed logic can conclude it's a horse shoe.

People can make up their minds however they want. At the end of the day, we're suppose to imagine it's a Kryptonian symbol just like Superman's shield. Yet another reason why an obvious omega makes no sense. The Medieval Z has been truncated to no longer completely resemble itself, and yet it's still related to Z for Zod, and matches the end product. All of Krypton also has a Medieval design. What a coincidence! Hmm, maybe that's how the design came to be. Medieval-inspired Krypton. Medieval-inspired Krypton symbol for Zod.

Last edited by fanboiii; 02-04-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #833
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Sounds like more backwards reasoning and weak accusations. What amount of deductive reasoning did you really need to say it's an omega? Looking at it?
No, we try to think about the designers possible thought process. The fact that the symbol is an omega (or omega-like, if you insist) in form is obviously evidential. If the design looked exactly like a cat, then I would infer a different thought process behind it.

What have I accused you of, exactly?

Old 02-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #834
JAK®
Upstart

From a designer's point of view, basing a symbol off the omega symbol is a weak concept. That's what you would do just to get started. Alpha and Omega is overplayed. Researching the main motif, which we know to be medieval times, and considering the symbol has to fit with the same logic as Superman's S, would lead a designer to consider taking a look at medieval script. That's how I would do it, anyway.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #835
fanboiii
♢♦ ᴍᴀᴅ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ♦♢

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
The fact that the symbol is an omega (or omega-like, if you insist) in form is obviously evidential. If the design looked exactly like a cat, then I would infer a different thought process behind it.

What have I accused you of, exactly?
How is it a fact that the symbol is an omega? An omega is specific: The letter O in the Greek Alphabet. It's not even an exact omega. That's just a similar shape. Same shape as a U or a horse shoe. Comparing it to a cat is ridiculous because a cat has a very specific shape unlike a basic U curve. It only looks like an omega however distorted. That doesn't mean it was designed from or designed to be an omega.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #836
Kal-El.9859
Life Found A Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK® View Post
From a designer's point of view, basing a symbol off the omega symbol is a weak concept. That's what you would do just to get started. Alpha and Omega is overplayed. Researching the main motif, which we know to be medieval times, and considering the symbol has to fit with the same logic as Superman's S, would lead a designer to consider taking a look at medieval script. That's how I would do it, anyway.
Agreed

Old 02-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #837
Nitrobot
Side-Kick

Awesome Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 9

Quote:
That's a bit overly complicated, but I think you do have a point. A more direct idea is that Zod's symbol is inspired from Medieval Alphabet.

It matches the Medieval/Renaissance inspired look they used for Kryptonian design. Makes a lot more sense than the Hammer and Sickle theory.
And as the Greek lower case letter ς (sigma) looks the famous Kryptonian emblem we known as a "S", so Zod's emblem who resembles a "Z" could be indeed a Ezh or an Dze:

Abkhazian Dze (Ӡ ӡ; italics: Ӡ ӡ) is a letter of the Cyrillic script. It is used in the Abkhazian language where it represents the voiced alveolar affricate /dz/, pronounced like ⟨ds⟩ in "pods".

This letter was also used in one 1937 proposal (not adopted) for the Karelian Cyrillic alphabet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abkhazian_Dze
__________________________________________________ _______

Ezh (Ʒ ʒ), has its small letter used in the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA), representing the voiced postalveolar fricative consonant.

It is also called the "tailed z". Example: vision /ˈvɪʒən/. It is pronounced as the "s" in "treasure" or the "si" in the word "precision". (See also the Persian alphabet letter ژ.)

Ezh is used as a letter in some orthographies of Skolt Sami, both by itself, and with a caron (Ǯ ǯ). These denote partially voiced alveolar and post-alveolar affricates, respectively, broadly represented /dz/.

It also appears in the orthography of some African languages, for example in the Aja language of Benin and the Daghbani language of Ghana, where the uppercase variant looks like a reflected sigma (Σ).

Origin

Further information: tailed z

As a phonetic symbol, ezh originates with Isaac Pitman's alphabet in 1847, as a z with an added hook.

The symbol is based on medieval cursive forms of Latin z, evolving into the blackletter z letter. In Unicode, however, the blackletter z ("tailed z", German geschwänztes Z) is considered a glyph variant of z, and not an ezh.

In contexts where "tailed z" is used in contrast to tail-less z, notably in standard transcription of Middle High German, Unicode ʒ is sometimes used, strictly speaking incorrectly. Unicode offers ȥ "z with hook" as a grapheme for Middle High German coronal fricative instead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ezh_(letter)

Old 02-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #838
Kal-El.9859
Life Found A Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrobot View Post
And as the Greek lower case letter ς (sigma) looks the famous Kryptonian emblem we known as a "S", so Zod's emblem who resembles a "Z" could be indeed a Ezh or an Dze:

Abkhazian Dze (Ӡ ӡ; italics: Ӡ ӡ) is a letter of the Cyrillic script. It is used in the Abkhazian language where it represents the voiced alveolar affricate /dz/, pronounced like ⟨ds⟩ in "pods".

This letter was also used in one 1937 proposal (not adopted) for the Karelian Cyrillic alphabet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abkhazian_Dze
__________________________________________________ _______

Ezh (Ʒ ʒ), has its small letter used in the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA), representing the voiced postalveolar fricative consonant.

It is also called the "tailed z". Example: vision /ˈvɪʒən/. It is pronounced as the "s" in "treasure" or the "si" in the word "precision". (See also the Persian alphabet letter ژ.)

Ezh is used as a letter in some orthographies of Skolt Sami, both by itself, and with a caron (Ǯ ǯ). These denote partially voiced alveolar and post-alveolar affricates, respectively, broadly represented /dz/.

It also appears in the orthography of some African languages, for example in the Aja language of Benin and the Daghbani language of Ghana, where the uppercase variant looks like a reflected sigma (Σ).

Origin

Further information: tailed z

As a phonetic symbol, ezh originates with Isaac Pitman's alphabet in 1847, as a z with an added hook.

The symbol is based on medieval cursive forms of Latin z, evolving into the blackletter z letter. In Unicode, however, the blackletter z ("tailed z", German geschwänztes Z) is considered a glyph variant of z, and not an ezh.

In contexts where "tailed z" is used in contrast to tail-less z, notably in standard transcription of Middle High German, Unicode ʒ is sometimes used, strictly speaking incorrectly. Unicode offers ȥ "z with hook" as a grapheme for Middle High German coronal fricative instead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ezh_(letter)
this pretty much strengthens my belief that it is NOT an Omega....period

Old 02-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #839
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Well Damn, lol.

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Old 02-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #840
Kal-El.9859
Life Found A Way

can we now please stop saying it's an Omega? I know people won't, but hey....a guy can hope and wish

Old 02-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #841
sup101
Side-Kick

Why are people saying it's Omega.That would be so unoriginal.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:28 PM   #842
Kryptonian Warrior
The Dawn Is Upon Us
SHH! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sup101 View Post
Why are people saying it's Omega.That would be so unoriginal.
Probably because it looks like an Omega symbol?

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=230251
Old 02-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #843
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

In the end...does anybody really care?

Old 02-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #844
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Scout View Post
In the end...does anybody really care?

Old 02-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #845
sup101
Side-Kick

It will be explained in the movie.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #846
Kal-El.9859
Life Found A Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonian Warrior View Post
Probably because it looks like an Omega symbol?
but it also resembles a cursive Z and and midevil lettering as well....

Old 02-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #847
Kryptonian Warrior
The Dawn Is Upon Us
SHH! Moderator

Quote:
but it also resembles a cursive Z and and midevil lettering as well....
Who knows....he could also be an intergalactic Colts fan.

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=230251
Old 02-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #848
fanboiii
♢♦ ᴍᴀᴅ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ♦♢

It looks like a U before it looks like an Omega. So an omega is just about the last thing it looks like.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #849
Kal-El.9859
Life Found A Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonian Warrior View Post
Who knows....he could also be an intergalactic Colts fan.
that's what my money is on....

Old 02-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #850
fanboiii
♢♦ ᴍᴀᴅ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ♦♢

It also explains why the ends of the curve are different. The top end has a smaller angle. Looks like a solid match.