The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 02:51 AM   #76
StarvingArtist
Side-Kick
 
StarvingArtist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,599
Arrow Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
Why just on the trunks? What are the reasons superman wearing the red boots? He can’t fit his shoes in to disguise. Man doesn’t wear red boots. It looks tacky. Why red cape??? It’s neither for protection nor flight. It’s troublesome in fact. Why dark blue tights??? Why not white, black or gold???
Simply put, To explain the suit / the trunks is wasting the precious screen time. Because people will still complain and not buying the explanation.
Did Batman Begins waste screen time? Better yet, what about in the Avengers when the retaining of Captain America's stars and stripes uniform was explained by Agent Coulson in a single scene which even concluded with:

"Aren't the Stars and Stripes a little... Old fashioned?"

"With everything that's happening, the things that are about to come to light, people might just need a little old-fashioned."

That one little exchange says a lot about what the writers were trying to communicate to the audience in trying to give them reason to open up to such an ostentatious outfit. A little context goes a long way and there are innumerable examples to back up this point in case it's still not clear. Just because its hard as hell to give Superman's classic costume a legit and elegant context doesn't mean it's not the solution nor wouldn't at least help.

Also, mind you, what you're suggesting as as waste of screen time is exactly what happens in MOS when we find out the suit is kryptonian; again, the controversey being that the designers felt the classic design, as it was, was not "alien" enough and didn't fit with the context they went with. So they altered it. Apparently aliens don't wear trunks.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Batman is Batman because of his bat motif's. Take them away and he's just Manman.

Last edited by StarvingArtist; 02-05-2013 at 03:13 AM.
StarvingArtist is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 04:09 AM   #77
sf2
Side-Kick
 
sf2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,706
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Fair enough. Wow. You remember the lines!!! I was like blur walking out from the cinema. I agree, They managed to do it tastefully. However, I still can fully enjoy STM / SR which are without any explanation on the suit. My point is the explanation doesn’t help in selling the movie.

Anyway, the fact is they have dished the trunks. To me, it looks odd and I still prefer the classic look. But it’s done.

__________________
SUPERMAN RETURNS COMIC STRIPS
The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
sf2 is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 05:29 AM   #78
EtherMagic
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 819
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
and with that idea of comparing the classic costume to the new...





Man, Reeve just "HAD IT!"! The look, the smile, his amazing carisma! This Pic of Reeve says it all, you can just feel the amazingness of Sups in his personality within this pic! He was meant to play the role at the time.

Henry on the other hand is obviously much more serious (miss the smile), but... We shall see. Obviously Snyder is basing this Sups off of a more "less Campy" roll, and also a more "serious" what if this happened now kinda deal.

Just hoping Henry isn't a stail, no personality, just acting the part kinda Sups as Routh was. Carisma is KEY, the SMILE is GOD! lol Lets all pray for the best!


EDIT: Gotta say, after looking at these 2 pics side by side, it's just sad how much the color in the blue changed Just wow! We have seen it much "Bluer" on set, but the trailer has not givin much hope color wiz. Hoping it brightens up a bit come movie time




__________________
The Morningstar: "Making Superman dark is probably the dumbest idea ever. It goes against everything that the character represents."

"But there is nothing wrong with making a film about him a bit edgier and less corny."

Last edited by EtherMagic; 02-05-2013 at 07:13 AM.
EtherMagic is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #79
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick
 
Dr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,714
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
Why just on the trunks? What are the reasons superman wearing the red boots? He can’t fit his shoes in to disguise. Man doesn’t wear red boots. It looks tacky. Why red cape??? It’s neither for protection nor flight. It’s troublesome in fact. Why dark blue tights??? Why not white, black or gold???
Simply put, To explain the suit / the trunks is wasting the precious screen time. Because people will still complain and not buying the explanation.
Yes. If the trunks ever get reestablished, best bet is not to allude to them or try to “explain” them. Just move on. As noted, the only good rationale for them is tradition. But characters within the story (obviously) don’t have access to this meta-perspective. So don’t burden them with implausible (or impossible) “trunks exposition.”

On the flip side… I think some folks imagine that getting rid of Supes’ trunks puts him on some kind of slippery slope. If you rationalize that item away, then everything else must get tossed out by a similar “realism logic.” That’s not the case at all. As mentioned before, audiences have no objection to superheroes wearing distinctive “uniforms.” Witness the overall (cinematic) success of the genre. The convention has been firmly embraced. Why boots? Well, apart from Hulk, these characters have to wear something on their feet. And boots are a better choice than Keds or loafers. Why does Thor wear a cape? Well, he’s not from around here and his people happen to sport this fashion. So up to a point, these details are sufficiently obvious that they need little-to-no justification or explanation. Arguably/allegedly, the trunks are in a different category. They are (by pop culture accident) a conspicuous accessory - and would seem to require particular validation. And since none is possible… bye-bye trunks.

Dr. is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #80
Comics N' Toons
Let the Adventure Begin!
 
Comics N' Toons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,908
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherMagic View Post
Henry on the other hand is obviously much more serious (miss the smile), but... We shall see. Obviously Snyder is basing this Sups off of a more "less Campy" roll, and also a more "serious" what if this happened now kinda deal.

Just hoping Henry isn't a stail, no personality, just acting the part kinda Sups as Routh was. Carisma is KEY, the SMILE is GOD! lol Lets all pray for the best!





From the trailer/interviews and articles I've read for Snyder's vision, I see Cavill as a tortured individual who's trying to find himself. I just hope his acting doesn't come off as stoic.

Reeve was much more of an optimistic/lighthearted Superman presumably because he was raised by Brando's Jor-El, a presumably kind father, in the fortress of solitude from the age of presumably 18 to 28 (movie continuity).

Maybe Cavill won't have the guidance that Jor-El offered Reeve's Superman. If this is the case, he would probably be shaped by the world around him and would need to lose the naivety and be much more of a serious, less lighthearted Superman.

__________________
Quote:
The reason why some fans come down on Batman 89 so hard since the Nolan films have been released is 2 fold: the Nolan films are newer and fans of the actual books don't read the 70's and 80's source material that the 89 film was based upon to understand how much more pure the 89 film is compared to the modern crime-drama trilogy that Nolan created.
Comics N' Toons is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #81
StarvingArtist
Side-Kick
 
StarvingArtist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,599
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATS N' HORNETS View Post
From the trailer/interviews and articles I've read for Snyder's vision, I see Cavill as a tortured individual who's trying to find himself. I just hope his acting doesn't come off as stoic.

Reeve was much more of an optimistic/lighthearted Superman presumably because he was raised by Brando's Jor-El, a presumably kind father, in the fortress of solitude from the age of presumably 18 to 28 (movie continuity).

Maybe Cavill won't have the guidance that Jor-El offered Reeve's Superman. If this is the case, he would probably be shaped by the world around him and would need to lose the naivety and be much more of a serious, less lighthearted Superman.
I hope none of that happens.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Batman is Batman because of his bat motif's. Take them away and he's just Manman.
StarvingArtist is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #82
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty
 
Lead Cenobite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: US
Posts: 2,850
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

While I don't think Clark will get 12-year tutelage from Jor-El like in STM, he probably gets some guidance from him. Remember Jor-El's dialogue from the teaser.

__________________
Superman with realistic physics isn't Superman.
Lead Cenobite is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #83
Comics N' Toons
Let the Adventure Begin!
 
Comics N' Toons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,908
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
While I don't think Clark will get 12-year tutelage from Jor-El like in STM, he probably gets some guidance from him. Remember Jor-El's dialogue from the teaser.
This is good then. I don't mean to come off as cynical, but realistically if Clark gains all this knowledge about the human race from traveling the world and he sees problems such as war and famine and world hunger it would be hard to have an optimistic Superman. Someone or something needs to ground him.

__________________
Quote:
The reason why some fans come down on Batman 89 so hard since the Nolan films have been released is 2 fold: the Nolan films are newer and fans of the actual books don't read the 70's and 80's source material that the 89 film was based upon to understand how much more pure the 89 film is compared to the modern crime-drama trilogy that Nolan created.
Comics N' Toons is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #84
guAsp
Realist
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 68
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
and with that idea of comparing the classic costume to the new...





Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherMagic View Post
Man, Reeve just "HAD IT!"! The look, the smile, his amazing carisma! This Pic of Reeve says it all, you can just feel the amazingness of Sups in his personality within this pic! He was meant to play the role at the time.

Henry on the other hand is obviously much more serious (miss the smile), but... We shall see. Obviously Snyder is basing this Sups off of a more "less Campy" roll, and also a more "serious" what if this happened now kinda deal.

Just hoping Henry isn't a stail, no personality, just acting the part kinda Sups as Routh was. Carisma is KEY, the SMILE is GOD! lol Lets all pray for the best!


EDIT: Gotta say, after looking at these 2 pics side by side, it's just sad how much the color in the blue changed Just wow! We have seen it much "Bluer" on set, but the trailer has not givin much hope color wiz. Hoping it brightens up a bit come movie time



its funny you showed the 2 pics.
I used the same Reeve picture to show the color difference.
Still I don't mind the look we are getting (except for the dark yellow in the "S") hopefully it will look better in motion.


Last edited by guAsp; 02-05-2013 at 06:09 PM.
guAsp is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #85
guAsp
Realist
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 68
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

I was hoping something along these colors though


Last edited by guAsp; 02-05-2013 at 06:11 PM.
guAsp is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #86
Project862006
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 21,208
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

my eyes hurt lol

Project862006 is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #87
Bruce Malone
Dazed & Confused
 
Bruce Malone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Stay out of my territory
Posts: 5,484
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

There is something about the darker colors they're using, blending in better with the more "organic" or alien look of the suit.

It may sound silly but the MOS suit with lighter shades somehow seems more artificial? As if like food dye was added. The MOS suit texture actually looks a bit like it would be some animal or reptile skin.

Bruce Malone is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #88
spidermanJLA!~
SUPERHERO
 
spidermanJLA!~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Swingin' around NYC
Posts: 1,188
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

I still think that some of the magazines make the suit look like he dips it in oil, but nevertheless I think that the alien origin is an acceptable motif.

__________________
Spider-man, favorite hero.
JLA, one of my favorite teams.
spidermanJLA!~ is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #89
Kal-El.9859
Sent For A Reason
 
Kal-El.9859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Smallville/Metropolis
Posts: 8,990
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermanJLA!~ View Post
I still think that some of the magazines make the suit look like he dips it in oil, but nevertheless I think that the alien origin is an acceptable motif.
well whether we find it acceptable or not the alien deal is what they are going for...and I for one love that idea.

__________________
My father believed, if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me...out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?
-Superman

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #90
guAsp
Realist
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 68
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
There is something about the darker colors they're using, blending in better with the more "organic" or alien look of the suit.

It may sound silly but the MOS suit with lighter shades somehow seems more artificial? As if like food dye was added. The MOS suit texture actually looks a bit like it would be some animal or reptile skin.
I agree that it looks more "organic" with the darker color, but I almost feel that when designing the suit, they were hesitant to show some color.

I realize and like the whole realistic aspect they are shooting for, but with the screenshot they showed and the magazine shoot, I have doubts as to how much color it will show when well lit.

So far I don't like how dark the yellow on the "S" is. If they would've used Gold instead of Yellow it would've been better IMO.

At least I know that the reflective chainmail material will allow for a dynamic look in the film which is great, as it's never been done before.


That said, this is just 4 steps to the Reeves color:
I hope that the color would at least match the top right of this pic:

guAsp is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #91
Kal-El.9859
Sent For A Reason
 
Kal-El.9859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Smallville/Metropolis
Posts: 8,990
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by guAsp View Post
I agree that it looks more "organic" with the darker color, but I almost feel that when designing the suit, they were hesitant to show some color.

I realize and like the whole realistic aspect they are shooting for, but with the screenshot they showed and the magazine shoot, I have doubts as to how much color it will show when well lit.

So far I don't like how dark the yellow on the "S" is. If they would've used Gold instead of Yellow it would've been better IMO.

At least I know that the reflective chainmail material will allow for a dynamic look in the film which is great, as it's never been done before.


That said, this is just 4 steps to the Reeves color:
I hope that the color would at least match the top right of this pic:
bottom right looks forced so to say....and weird

__________________
My father believed, if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me...out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?
-Superman

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #92
Super Kal
Side-Kick
 
Super Kal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: a northern state :(
Posts: 47,657
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

if i were basing it on color alone, and no other alterations, i would of preferred this:

__________________
For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and His commandments are not burdensome.
Super Kal is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 07:13 PM   #93
Kal-El.9859
Sent For A Reason
 
Kal-El.9859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Smallville/Metropolis
Posts: 8,990
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Kal View Post
if i were basing it on color alone, and no other alterations, i would of preferred this:
that looks good...maybe we will see flashes of that in the movie since we have seen pictures of it taken at cons and stuff like that and it actually shows those colors

__________________
My father believed, if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me...out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?
-Superman

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #94
guAsp
Realist
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 68
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
bottom right looks forced so to say....and weird
Oh yeah I agree, the purpose was not to say I "wanted" that color, just to show how far and different they look comparing to the Reeve suit.

guAsp is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #95
Kal-El.9859
Sent For A Reason
 
Kal-El.9859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Smallville/Metropolis
Posts: 8,990
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by guAsp View Post
Oh yeah I agree, the purpose was not to say I "wanted" that color, just to show how far and different they look comparing to the Reeve suit.
It certainly accomplished that. I really like the dark blue....I just hope that we see some bright pops of yellow. If not it's certainly not going to ruin the film for me....but I'm sure others will ***** and moan about it

__________________
My father believed, if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me...out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?
-Superman

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #96
guAsp
Realist
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 68
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
It certainly accomplished that. I really like the dark blue....I just hope that we see some bright pops of yellow. If not it's certainly not going to ruin the film for me....but I'm sure others will ***** and moan about it
yup, I'm on board with you there.

guAsp is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #97
Kal-El.9859
Sent For A Reason
 
Kal-El.9859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Smallville/Metropolis
Posts: 8,990
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by guAsp View Post
yup, I'm on board with you there.
It's a shame that people let the slightest things ruin movies for them and they can't just enjoy a good story and great action

__________________
My father believed, if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me...out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?
-Superman

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #98
spidermanJLA!~
SUPERHERO
 
spidermanJLA!~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Swingin' around NYC
Posts: 1,188
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Kal View Post
if i were basing it on color alone, and no other alterations, i would of preferred this:
Great color.

__________________
Spider-man, favorite hero.
JLA, one of my favorite teams.
spidermanJLA!~ is offline  
Old 02-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #99
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!
 
Lencho01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 13,380
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

I posted this in the old "All Things" thread...

Quote:
Old, but interesting. Peter Rubin, the artist who designed the MOS emblem...

http://filmsketchr.blogspot.com/2011...lks-about.html

Quote:
Q: What can we expect next from you?

Well, Man of Steel comes out in 2013. I've left some fingerprints on that. I spent nine months working with Alex on the details of Krypton. Like I said, he's a thinker... for him, it was all about the aesthetic and the culture of these aliens - characters that everybody thinks they already know, which made it all the more challenging. He was very particular, which drove me to work hard to try master the style he had in mind. It stretched me, and I think we did some new and interesting things, both from a visual point of view and also technologically, within the process. Zack is a strong director, too, and I'm very excited by what he's bringing to the story. What we did behind the scenes is going to have repercussions in the business, and on screen it's going to knock people's socks off, in my opinion.

I'm a huge Superman fan going back to childhood, and so was very, very glad to be a part of it. I got some amazing design opportunities. For one, I was asked to design the new "S" insignia, the one that Henry Cavill is wearing in all those leaked on-set photos. I've been drawing that in one version or another since I was four years old. I was hitting in the sweet spot, and it felt like one of the high points of my career as a designer. There were some interesting struggles associated with it - I'll tell that story someday.

__________________
I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline  
Old 02-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #100
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday
 
Rust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Denmark and out there...
Posts: 4,635
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Kal View Post
if i were basing it on color alone, and no other alterations, i would of preferred this:


Still a tad too bright imo, but I definitely see the potential. It does "feel" more uplifting and makes the original look rather depressing.

__________________
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new"
Rust is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.