Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Ant-Man > Ant-Man

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 11:21 PM   #151
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: The Official Ant-Man News and Speculation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon View Post
Would Marvel REALLY let Lang become an MCU Avenger? I think that's an absurd thought, really.

Got to hang onto something to have hope.

Why is it absurd? Lang *was* an Avenger. But he shouldn't jump the queue in front of Pym and Janet, that's for sure.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 02-05-2013, 06:45 AM   #152
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

I would rather that Lang just appear as a background supporting character in Iron Man, as he did in the actual comic for years. As for Ant-Man though, I prefer him to be Pym. I'd only want Lang as Ant-Man if Pym became Yellow Jacket.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:13 AM   #153
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Why is it absurd? Lang *was* an Avenger. But he shouldn't jump the queue in front of Pym and Janet, that's for sure.
I agree. I could cope with him taking over as Ant Man, but I don't want him first.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #154
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
I would rather that Lang just appear as a background supporting character in Iron Man, as he did in the actual comic for years. As for Ant-Man though, I prefer him to be Pym. I'd only want Lang as Ant-Man if Pym became Yellow Jacket.
Yellowjacket? Yikes.
Pym should be Giant-Man. He was Giant-Man far more than he was any of his other many identities. *Definitely* far more than he was Ant-Man.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #155
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Yellowjacket? Yikes.
Pym should be Giant-Man. He was Giant-Man far more than he was any of his other many identities. *Definitely* far more than he was Ant-Man.
But I would rather Pym be both Ant-Man and Giant Man, and do that size-changing trick he frequently did in A:EMH where he'd rapidly shift between sizes. So I see AM/ GM as just two extremes of the same identity. That's the way I'd prefer to see it in the movies.

What I mean by when Pym becomes YJ is that he's moved on quite a bit from the whole AM/GM schtick, allowing for a gap in the market to be filled by a new Ant-Man. But personally, I'm not really keen on YJ anyway. I'd rather Pym be Ant-Man/ Giant Man and forget any talk of Lang.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #156
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
But I would rather Pym be both Ant-Man and Giant Man, and do that size-changing trick he frequently did in A:EMH where he'd rapidly shift between sizes. So I see AM/ GM as just two extremes of the same identity. That's the way I'd prefer to see it in the movies.
This

I think it would be limiting if he can only shrink or grow. I like how he can do both in the cartoons.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #157
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
This

I think it would be limiting if he can only shrink or grow. I like how he can do both in the cartoons.

He can do both in the comics, too. He just prefers the BIG version of Pym because giants are strong and powerful and very, very visible.

Personally, I think the ideal balance for the movies is just to make Pym Giant-Man and Janet Van Dyne Wasp, and then forget about the character of Ant-Man (Lang or Pym) altogether. It's simply a question of powersets: make Hank the grower, and Janet the shrinker. If you add Lang as Ant-Man, or make Pym Ant-Man, then you create a redundancy: why have *two* --- or even three --- shrinkers?

Old 02-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #158
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Cool Re: The Official Ant-Man News and Speculation Thread

Quote:
He can do both in the comics, too. He just prefers the BIG version of Pym because giants are strong and powerful and very, very visible.

Personally, I think the ideal balance for the movies is just to make Pym Giant-Man and Janet Van Dyne Wasp, and then forget about the character of Ant-Man (Lang or Pym) altogether. It's simply a question of powersets: make Hank the grower, and Janet the shrinker. If you add Lang as Ant-Man, or make Pym Ant-Man, then you create a redundancy: why have *two* --- or even three --- shrinkers?
Well it's only Lang who creates a redundancy. Jan, simply by being Pym's gf and then wife, would provide reasons why he might want her to have a similar powerset, so she can accompany him on his adventures. But even if that isn't the reason, size changing is Pym's speciality anyway. He gave Janet similar powers because that's the field in which he is an expert. He might want to occasionally shrink down himself so HE can accompany her and they can work as a couple. I don't think that, just because Pym becomes Giant Man, that he can't ever shrink down to ant size.

Besides, Pym and Jan's powers aren't exactly the same when shrunk down anyway. Pym uses size changing as more of a surprise tactic, and controls ants. Jan tends to stay at insect size and uses her bio stinger. So Jan's powers are more similar to Yellow Jacket's than Ant-Man's, although really YJ's is actually a combination of Ant-Man and Wasp.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #159
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Edgar Wright briefly talked to IGN about Ant-Man

Quote:
Speaking of the ways in which his effort will differ to other comic-book movies, Wright said: “It’s a way of doing a superhero film within another genre. I wanted to tell an origin tale in a slightly different way. It’s part of the Marvel cinematic universe, but it also feels like its own piece.”

As for the reason it’s taken so long to make it to the big-screen, Wright said that it’s all been part of the plan. “I’ve been collaborating with [Marvel boss] Kevin [Feige] during the whole of that cycle” he explained. “I think people have always assumed… ‘Oh why is it taking so long to make?’ Part of it is because I wanted to make two other movies first. I wanted to make World’s End… me and Simon were very keen to make it and it felt like it was unfinished business and we wanted to wrap up the trilogy. The script came together really fast. Well not really fast, but it came together at a certain point where it was like ‘I really want to do this next.’

“But to be honest, the later I do it, it feels like I could learn more, especially about special effects. It’s a big effects movie, so I’m pleased to go into it having done Scott Pilgrim and The World’s End because you’re always learning more about that side.”

Indeed, Wright revealed that the Ant-Man test footage that screened at Comic-Con last year was shot just before The World’s End, and he even spent some of his days off finishing the effects. “I hope that at some point we’ll be able to show that at some venue all finished” he added. "Because obviously at Comic-Con we showed it unfinished. All done it looks really good.”

And when asked about his favourite Marvel movie, Wright had no hesitation: “I guess my two favourites would have to be Iron Man and The Avengers. I’ve enjoyed all of them and I think those two are the ones that score highest on the popcorn metre. That totally work as great crowd-pleasers. And I think what they’ve managed to do in terms of The Avengers coming after a five-film cycle, is kind of extraordinary and unprecedented in cinema history. To bring together four other franchises into one. It couldn’t have gone better could it? It’s amazing.”

Ant-Man is set to release at the tail-end of 2015, while The World’s End hits this summer.
It seems like the delay making Ant-Man was actually a good thing for Edgar as it allowed him to get more filmmaking experience which should benefit Ant-Man.

happy to hear the effects have turned out good.
I can't wait to see some footage.

I wonder what the scale of Ant-Man will be.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #160
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
Edgar Wright briefly talked to IGN about Ant-Man

It seems like the delay making Ant-Man was actually a good thing for Edgar as it allowed him to get more filmmaking experience which should benefit Ant-Man.

happy to hear the effects have turned out good.
I can't wait to see some footage.

I wonder what the scale of Ant-Man will be.
I'd imagine it would be on a very small scale.

Well of course Wright would gain more film making experience. But I'm not sure he expresses himself in the best way. When he says it was all part of the plan, maybe what he really means is that, in hindisight, things have worked out for the best and to his benefit. If he means that it was all part of the plan to delay it so long, well, he's not giving any reasons why Marvel would've wanted to do that. Surely if he had it ready earlier, they would've been able to incorporate Ant-man into the Avengers.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #161
fixxxer
Side-Kick

Strong collaboration/dialogue with Feige? Check.
Learning the nuances of FX? Check.
Original feel, but set firmly in the MCU? Check.

I'm really excited. Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and Scott Pilgrim vs. The World were all excellent.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #162
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
I'd imagine it would be on a very small scale.
Nice

I could see Edgar doing a post credit scene for Avengers 2 for Ant-Man.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #163
Marathon
Side-Kick

Lang would be absurd as an MCU Avenger. Didn't say anything about his Avenger-ness legitimacy elsewhere. You can't inundate the silver screen with the same character density as a comic book (multi)verse. Therefore I feel the priority is to have mostly classic Avengers. It's worrying that we already have the lame Falcon coming in. Why would we want to make it even further extra-extra-lame by throwing Lang in there, too? Does not compute AFAIC.

My worry is that after the "To Steal an Ant-Man" arc is complete, who cares about Scott Lang? You can't have one-off plot device characters (which I'm suspecting the Falcon and Lang to be) and then make them Avengers. Granted, not all Avengers are/will be heavy hitters, but even the "minor" ones should come with some sort of built-in audience affinity towards them. I just think it's beyond the pale that we might not get all of the core classic group together on the silver screen with the current crop of actors.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:46 PM   #164
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Lang would be absurd as an MCU Avenger. Didn't say anything about his Avenger-ness legitimacy elsewhere. You can't inundate the silver screen with the same character density as a comic book (multi)verse. Therefore I feel the priority is to have mostly classic Avengers. It's worrying that we already have the lame Falcon coming in. Why would we want to make it even further extra-extra-lame by throwing Lang in there, too? Does not compute AFAIC.

My worry is that after the "To Steal an Ant-Man" arc is complete, who cares about Scott Lang? You can't have one-off plot device characters (which I'm suspecting the Falcon and Lang to be) and then make them Avengers. Granted, not all Avengers are/will be heavy hitters, but even the "minor" ones should come with some sort of built-in audience affinity towards them. I just think it's beyond the pale that we might not get all of the core classic group together on the silver screen with the current crop of actors.
"Lame" Falcon.....?!?!?

I'd be tickled pink to see Falcon AND War Machine join the Avenger ranks --- and rightfully so, according to Holy Comic Book Canon. The team needs the diversity that the Avengers are famous for. Less whitebread sausage factory, and more global diversity, which is what the team is all about.

As for Lang, I agree with you that he's really a one-note character. "To Steal an Ant-Man" is a solid story arc with some great motivations and characterizations and drama, and I can see why Wright is so enraptured with it. But once you move beyond that story, there's not much left to tell: Lang becomes a D-list Avenger, Cassie gets better (and eventually becomes a superheroine in her own right), Lang gets blown up (along with the rest of the Avengers Mansion) by Jack of Hearts. The End.

Personally, I'd prefer to see Lang die a noble death at the end of Ant-Man, and have the future of the helmet and suit fall to Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne, rightfully so, and have them take their proper place in the Avenger pantheon. We really don't need to see Lang (or Ant-Man) again, ever ---- just Giant-Man and Wasp. i.e., Avenger Icons.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #165
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Actually, I'd like to see Pym as both Ant-Man and Giant Man in The Avengers. Makes for some epic scenes.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:55 PM   #166
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:

Can I get a copy of the scripts for Ant-Man, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and Avengers 2?

Old 02-07-2013, 05:11 AM   #167
Marathon
Side-Kick

I don't disagree about the need for diversity, but again, I think it's somewhat flabbergasting that instead of Black Panther (at least first) we're going to have the Falcon.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:28 AM   #168
Marathon
Side-Kick

Returning to the Lang/Pym debate, my case is simple: I like Pym and he's a classic Avenger. I don't care about Scott Lang (at all) and he's not a classic Avenger. Pym comes along with a certain Wasp (who I'm dying to see on the silver screen), Lang doesn't. Lang steals stuff and saves his daughter, that's it.

Hank & Janet > Lang. Someone needs to tattoo this on the heads of Feige & Wright.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:35 AM   #169
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Maybe once Wright has finally made this movie, someone will come and steal his Ant-Man (footage).

Old 02-07-2013, 07:57 AM   #170
Marathon
Side-Kick

And the thief will of course be Scott Lang come to life.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:27 PM   #171
SlamAdams
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't disagree about the need for diversity, but again, I think it's somewhat flabbergasting that instead of Black Panther (at least first) we're going to have the Falcon.
I'm sure they have bigger plans or at least want bigger things for panther than cap's ethnic sidekick

Kathrynn Winnick for Wonder Woman
Old 02-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #172
Marathon
Side-Kick

So we could assume BP will be introduced in his own movie eventually?

I apologize for all of the hitherto ranting, but I feel it's (just about) justified because it's not like we have an infinite amount of time and resources to do justice to the classic, vintage group of Avengers.

Will there be "civil wars" amongst the fandom over the selection of any new (to the MCU, that is) Avengers? I'd say there already are. The best way to proceed IMO is a conservative guideline: the classic/most popular Avengers first, then we can think of something else. Because, if this didn't matter or wasn't a priority, then the likes of Demolition Man would be in with a chance...

Squirrel Girl would be badass, though (and she can take down Thanos - there's your problem solved, TA2/3).

Old 02-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #173
SlamAdams
Side-Kick

Quote:
So we could assume BP will be introduced in his own movie eventually?

I apologize for all of the hitherto ranting, but I feel it's (just about) justified because it's not like we have an infinite amount of time and resources to do justice to the classic, vintage group of Avengers.

Will there be "civil wars" amongst the fandom over the selection of any new (to the MCU, that is) Avengers? I'd say there already are. The best way to proceed IMO is a conservative guideline: the classic/most popular Avengers first, then we can think of something else. Because, if this didn't matter or wasn't a priority, then the likes of Demolition Man would be in with a chance...

Squirrel Girl would be badass, though (and she can take down Thanos - there's your problem solved, TA2/3).
I would not assume BP is going to eventually get his own movie. But I would assume that Marvel would rather he get his own movie than play second fiddle in a someone else's movie

Kathrynn Winnick for Wonder Woman
Old 02-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #174
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Aside from Avengers 2, Ant-Man is my most anticipated MCU film that is confirmed for now.

I think the concept and his powers are interesting, and has great cinematic potential. I just hope we get Janet/Wasp too!

Also love that it's gonna be more of it's own thing, while still being in MCU of course. Not every film has to follow the same feel and tone.

1. The Dark Knight | 2. Superman: The Movie | 3. Batman Begins | 4. The Avengers | 5. Batman Returns
6. Captain America: The Winter Soldier | 7. X2 | 8. X-Men: Days of Future Past | 9. Spider-Man 2 | 10. The Dark Knight Rises
Old 02-09-2013, 02:57 AM   #175
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

I have a feeling they'll use Pym with Lang's story.