The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 12:03 AM   #826
hafizbat
Side-Kick
 
hafizbat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,569
Default Re: Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

I feel a bit dumb for asking, but what did the EMP gun even do lol? It looked like he shot at the biker and missed? What is the purpose of the EMP gun? And didn't he have the same device in his belt when he killed the lights in the sewer fight with Bane? Lol sorry for the confusion, it seemed like a cool gadget so could someone explain to me what the EMP gun was for

hafizbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:49 AM   #827
herolee10
S.W. Mourner
 
herolee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 15,415
Default Re: Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
I feel a bit dumb for asking, but what did the EMP gun even do lol? It looked like he shot at the biker and missed? What is the purpose of the EMP gun? And didn't he have the same device in his belt when he killed the lights in the sewer fight with Bane? Lol sorry for the confusion, it seemed like a cool gadget so could someone explain to me what the EMP gun was for
I think it was supposed to shut down the power for the motorcycles.

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:59 AM   #828
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference
 
FeedOnATreeFrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,080
Default Re: Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

it turned off the Bike, which is why the cops were able to catch him

right?

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:01 AM   #829
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!
 
Anita18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 24,464
Default Re: Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post
it turned off the Bike, which is why the cops were able to catch him

right?
Yup. That's what an EMP does - turn off things.

__________________
To relive the TDK virals (or learn more!) visit http://www.whysoseriousredux.com
Anita18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:11 AM   #830
AnneFan
Hathaway #1
 
AnneFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 14,153
Default Re: Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
Yup. That's what an EMP does - turn off things.
There's this goggle wearing thief who does the exact opposite of this.

__________________
I dreamed a dream and "it came true."
- Anne Hathaway, actress in a supporting role winner 2013 Oscars.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:45 AM   #831
herolee10
S.W. Mourner
 
herolee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 15,415
Default Re: Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

I just watched the animated feature "The Dark Knight Returns: Part 2", and granted, while there were several things that I had issues with regarding that film, there were a few things in there where I wish we could have seen something like that portrayed in "The Dark Knight Rises".

Namely, the part where Batman rides off to go and gather his "army" in order to secure Gotham and stop its crazed citizens from overrunning it with riots.

I wish we could have gotten a scene like that with Bale's Batman and GPD in "TDKR", that would have definitely provided the much needed "ice-breaker" (no pun intended) regarding the animosity the cops are likely to have towards Batman given the events of "TDK"; I mean we all saw on how many cops were willing to turn over Batman to the Joker, let alone on how most, if not all (but Gordon and Blake) believed that Batman was responsible for killing Dent.

And of course, it would have been nice to see Bale's batman choreographed in a way that mirrored on how they had this animated Batman fighting in terms of people actually shooting at him and Batman actually dodging the gunfire or throwing batarangs at them to fend them off.

And hell, I would have loved seeing a much more BRUTAL manhunt for Batman where shots are actually being fired at him and batman actually taking injury from it as well.



But overall, I'm glad that "The Dark Knight Rises" actually ended on a note where Gotham and Bruce had a chance to start a new life afresh in a peaceful manner; whereas every version of Gotham that I've seen in any medium seems to be proverbially cursed to be "Hell on Earth", where, no matter how many years Batman puts into the job, nothing seems to be changing for the better overall.

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #832
JackWhite
Third Man
 
JackWhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,835
Default Re: Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I just watched the animated feature "The Dark Knight Returns: Part 2", and granted, while there were several things that I had issues with regarding that film, there were a few things in there where I wish we could have seen something like that portrayed in "The Dark Knight Rises".

Namely, the part where Batman rides off to go and gather his "army" in order to secure Gotham and stop its crazed citizens from overrunning it with riots.

I wish we could have gotten a scene like that with Bale's Batman and GPD in "TDKR", that would have definitely provided the much needed "ice-breaker" (no pun intended) regarding the animosity the cops are likely to have towards Batman given the events of "TDK"; I mean we all saw on how many cops were willing to turn over Batman to the Joker, let alone on how most, if not all (but Gordon and Blake) believed that Batman was responsible for killing Dent.

And of course, it would have been nice to see Bale's batman choreographed in a way that mirrored on how they had this animated Batman fighting in terms of people actually shooting at him and Batman actually dodging the gunfire or throwing batarangs at them to fend them off.

And hell, I would have loved seeing a much more BRUTAL manhunt for Batman where shots are actually being fired at him and batman actually taking injury from it as well.



But overall, I'm glad that "The Dark Knight Rises" actually ended on a note where Gotham and Bruce had a chance to start a new life afresh in a peaceful manner; whereas every version of Gotham that I've seen in any medium seems to be proverbially cursed to be "Hell on Earth", where, no matter how many years Batman puts into the job, nothing seems to be changing for the better overall.
We may have not gotten batarangs, but underground with Catwoman; Batman dodged one of the mercenaries gunfire and then tackled him.

JackWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:57 AM   #833
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger
 
The Caped Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New York City
Posts: 28,226
Default Re: Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

Today's is Bale's Birthday. (Jan 30th)

Happy 39'th Birthday Mr. Wayne !!!

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:57 PM   #834
kvz5
HBIC
 
kvz5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 20,510
Default Re: Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

Many happy returns!

kvz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:05 PM   #835
JDonaldD
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 86
Default Re: Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I just watched the animated feature "The Dark Knight Returns: Part 2", and granted, while there were several things that I had issues with regarding that film, there were a few things in there where I wish we could have seen something like that portrayed in "The Dark Knight Rises".

Namely, the part where Batman rides off to go and gather his "army" in order to secure Gotham and stop its crazed citizens from overrunning it with riots.

I wish we could have gotten a scene like that with Bale's Batman and GPD in "TDKR", that would have definitely provided the much needed "ice-breaker" (no pun intended) regarding the animosity the cops are likely to have towards Batman given the events of "TDK"; I mean we all saw on how many cops were willing to turn over Batman to the Joker, let alone on how most, if not all (but Gordon and Blake) believed that Batman was responsible for killing Dent.

And of course, it would have been nice to see Bale's batman choreographed in a way that mirrored on how they had this animated Batman fighting in terms of people actually shooting at him and Batman actually dodging the gunfire or throwing batarangs at them to fend them off.

And hell, I would have loved seeing a much more BRUTAL manhunt for Batman where shots are actually being fired at him and batman actually taking injury from it as well.



But overall, I'm glad that "The Dark Knight Rises" actually ended on a note where Gotham and Bruce had a chance to start a new life afresh in a peaceful manner; whereas every version of Gotham that I've seen in any medium seems to be proverbially cursed to be "Hell on Earth", where, no matter how many years Batman puts into the job, nothing seems to be changing for the better overall.
Agreed. There really needed to be scene before the war other than Batman showing up to take out the tank that clears the air between Batman and the cops. We have to assume Foley saw Bane's speech on TV where the truth comes out but it's not really dealt with on screen. Batman and Foley really needed to have a scene together to make Foley's arc complete. It's Gordon that inspires him out of apathy not Bats. Not sure if Bale (in the Bat voice) rallying the cops would translate to film very well, though.

JDonaldD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:46 PM   #836
JackWhite
Third Man
 
JackWhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,835
Default Re: Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvz5 View Post
Many happy returns!




Happy Belated Birthday Bale!

JackWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:09 PM   #837
RustyCage
Come what may..
 
RustyCage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gotham
Posts: 4,011
Default Re: Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
I feel a bit dumb for asking, but what did the EMP gun even do lol? It looked like he shot at the biker and missed? What is the purpose of the EMP gun? And didn't he have the same device in his belt when he killed the lights in the sewer fight with Bane? Lol sorry for the confusion, it seemed like a cool gadget so could someone explain to me what the EMP gun was for
He was using it to knock out the lights in the parking garage as he drove under them. It kept him hidden, gave him the advantage of darkness. Also provides a badass element of terror and theatricality. One of the more impressive 'Batman' moments from Nolan, in my opinion. Shame it was so brief and unexplained.

He fires it at one of the motorcycles, but an EMP wouldn't shut down a motorcycle (they certainly didn't look like electric bikes), so I'm guessing he was aiming for that little tablet he picks up later to shut off the process that he wound up being too late to stop.

This is assuming he knew about the tablet before he picks it up from the thug later, of course.

Otherwise, it doesn't make any sense to fire it. It just makes a bunch of ineffectual sparks.

__________________
Why do we fall?

Last edited by RustyCage; 01-31-2013 at 06:15 PM.
RustyCage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:11 PM   #838
RustyCage
Come what may..
 
RustyCage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gotham
Posts: 4,011
Default Re: Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I just watched the animated feature "The Dark Knight Returns: Part 2", and granted, while there were several things that I had issues with regarding that film, there were a few things in there where I wish we could have seen something like that portrayed in "The Dark Knight Rises".

Namely, the part where Batman rides off to go and gather his "army" in order to secure Gotham and stop its crazed citizens from overrunning it with riots.

I wish we could have gotten a scene like that with Bale's Batman and GPD in "TDKR", that would have definitely provided the much needed "ice-breaker" (no pun intended) regarding the animosity the cops are likely to have towards Batman given the events of "TDK"; I mean we all saw on how many cops were willing to turn over Batman to the Joker, let alone on how most, if not all (but Gordon and Blake) believed that Batman was responsible for killing Dent.

And of course, it would have been nice to see Bale's batman choreographed in a way that mirrored on how they had this animated Batman fighting in terms of people actually shooting at him and Batman actually dodging the gunfire or throwing batarangs at them to fend them off.

And hell, I would have loved seeing a much more BRUTAL manhunt for Batman where shots are actually being fired at him and batman actually taking injury from it as well.



But overall, I'm glad that "The Dark Knight Rises" actually ended on a note where Gotham and Bruce had a chance to start a new life afresh in a peaceful manner; whereas every version of Gotham that I've seen in any medium seems to be proverbially cursed to be "Hell on Earth", where, no matter how many years Batman puts into the job, nothing seems to be changing for the better overall.
^ Every bit of this.

Excellent post, man.

Yet another chunk of goodness that would've, along with other material that I feel shouldn't have been left out, made this into a brilliant two-parter.

__________________
Why do we fall?
RustyCage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #839
MasterOgami
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lost on a Silent Planet
Posts: 240
Default Re: Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyCage View Post
He fires it at one of the motorcycles, but an EMP wouldn't shut down a motorcycle (they certainly didn't look like electric bikes), so I'm guessing he was aiming for that little tablet he picks up later to shut off the process that he wound up being too late to stop.

This is assuming he knew about the tablet before he picks it up from the thug later, of course.

Otherwise, it doesn't make any sense to fire it. It just makes a bunch of ineffectual sparks.
He was using it to stop the bikes. An EMP burst would (potentially) disable the electronic components of the bike that help make it run.

http://www.popsci.com/technology/art...wer-next-month

MasterOgami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #840
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz
 
BlueLightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,292
Default Re: Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOgami View Post
He was using it to stop the bikes. An EMP burst would (potentially) disable the electronic components of the bike that help make it run.

http://www.popsci.com/technology/art...wer-next-month
So cool! Thanks for sharing.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

__________________

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

BlueLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #841
RustyCage
Come what may..
 
RustyCage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gotham
Posts: 4,011
Default Re: Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOgami View Post
He was using it to stop the bikes. An EMP burst would (potentially) disable the electronic components of the bike that help make it run.

http://www.popsci.com/technology/art...wer-next-month
Dig the article, and it's obvious what EMPs do, but the movie doesn't sell the concept.

Computers being the heart of cars (much less motorcycles) rather than just functioning as less major assistance is a relatively new thing by my understanding and hasn't completely phased in, so it seems like a niche tactic. It would only be effective on newer cars, so that's a pretty big gamble - especially if you have to stop mid-chase to fire it.

After studying the scene, every car he passes appears to still be driving just fine despite the lights going out briefly, so that makes one think the gun has a pretty soft effect on vehicles, or that the engines of the vehicles aren't susceptible to it (including, obviously, the motorcycle which he fires directly at). The primary focus seemed to be cutting the lights (which were definitely electronic).

Either way, if shutting down the engines was the goal, it clearly didn't work. Maybe we're meant to assume that Batman guessed his average looking motorcycle might be more cutting edge than it really was.

Which is fine, but the fact that it's so vaguely presented creates a pause in many viewers. One of many 'huh?' moments where the suspension of disbelief is broken by logic gaps or lack of explanation.

Ultimately, the fact that it had zero effect on any engine in the entire scene makes me want to say he was more likely going after the tablet making the transfer.

(And don't get me wrong, I love the concept, and it's probably the coolest 'this is the awesome mysterious Batman you know and love' scene in the whole film - a theme Nolan has lapses in holding consistent. So kudos for what was done well.)

__________________
Why do we fall?

Last edited by RustyCage; 02-04-2013 at 08:30 PM.
RustyCage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:47 AM   #842
MasterOgami
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lost on a Silent Planet
Posts: 240
Default Re: Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyCage View Post
Dig the article, and it's obvious what EMPs do, but the movie doesn't sell the concept.

Computers being the heart of cars (much less motorcycles) rather than just functioning as less major assistance is a relatively new thing by my understanding and hasn't completely phased in, so it seems like a niche tactic. It would only be effective on newer cars, so that's a pretty big gamble - especially if you have to stop mid-chase to fire it.

After studying the scene, every car he passes appears to still be driving just fine despite the lights going out briefly, so that makes one think the gun has a pretty soft effect on vehicles, or that the engines of the vehicles aren't susceptible to it (including, obviously, the motorcycle which he fires directly at). The primary focus seemed to be cutting the lights (which were definitely electronic).

Either way, if shutting down the engines was the goal, it clearly didn't work. Maybe we're meant to assume that Batman guessed his average looking motorcycle might be more cutting edge than it really was.

Which is fine, but the fact that it's so vaguely presented creates a pause in many viewers. One of many 'huh?' moments where the suspension of disbelief is broken by logic gaps or lack of explanation.

Ultimately, the fact that it had zero effect on any engine in the entire scene makes me want to say he was more likely going after the tablet making the transfer.
The EMP rifle is designed to disable electrical systems, so it actually would work on a car/bike/whathaveyou as long as it wasn't a pre-1970s model, in which case the rifle wouldn't have any electronics to knock out (as I understand it anyway). If the EMP disables the engine control unit, I imagine the engine's going to stop.

Take another look at the scene, its not simply that the headlights are turning off, but the engines are cutting out as well and the cars are slowing down. You can hear them restarting as the bat-pod moves ahead and the area is no longer under the effect of the EMP.

One motorcycle is caught in the EMP emanating from pod/rifle/whatever device Batman's using and the hostage manages to hop off and escape. Batman takes that driver down and then lifts the rifle to manually fire a pulse more or less -directly- at another bike that's out of range of the "general blackout" method he had been using. That bike is disabled as well, as the next time we see it its on the ground and the driver is attempting to flee on foot.

In short, Batman was using an EMP to disable lights/vehicles and was successful on both counts.

MasterOgami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:11 AM   #843
Tequilla
Side-Kick
 
Tequilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: P
Posts: 1,727
Default Re: Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

I might not remembering the scene right...but dont we see a lot of cars stopped in the emp tunnel scene ? There's a scene of a guy even trying to escape by running away from his bike and some cops grab him. Before we see exactly the motorcycle guy unable to keep escaping with the hostage. He even stops , and the guy escapes. Then after it , Batman fails shooting the other one. So i saw the emp clearly interfering with the engines (which i suppose would be the result) of the bikes. Even the sound of the scene is clear , with motor engines trying to start again.

Tequilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #844
RustyCage
Come what may..
 
RustyCage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gotham
Posts: 4,011
Default Re: Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOgami View Post
Take another look at the scene, its not simply that the headlights are turning off, but the engines are cutting out as well and the cars are slowing down. You can hear them restarting as the bat-pod moves ahead and the area is no longer under the effect of the EMP.
I rewatched it several times before making my comment. The cars don't appear to be slowing down to me. If they are, it's extremely closely cut so that it's hard to tell that they were effected beyond the lights, so again, poor communication on the director's part if that was the goal.

I don't recall hearing them restarting, but I'll take a closer listen. Hadn't considered the audio angle, so good call.

Did notice that there are some stopped cars later on, but we could just as easily chalk that up to them trying to stay out of the way of the chase, as drivers tend to do in real life when an emergency vehicle speeds by.

Supporting that idea is the fact that Batman has stopped using the EMP pulse at the point we see them stopped/stopping and hasn't even approached them yet, AND we see many of the cars' brake lights on. So it would seem they stop themselves.

Quote:
One motorcycle is caught in the EMP emanating from pod/rifle/whatever device Batman's using and the hostage manages to hop off and escape.
The rifle is glowing in the dark during the scene, so it looks like there's a mode where he just creates a field and doesn't need to fire it.

To me it looks more like the guy stops on his own to try and shoot Batman, but gets tackled.

Quote:
Batman takes that driver down and then lifts the rifle to manually fire a pulse more or less -directly- at another bike that's out of range of the "general blackout" method he had been using. That bike is disabled as well, as the next time we see it its on the ground and the driver is attempting to flee on foot.
It isn't clear that that's necessarily what stopped the bike, again. It just looks like the cops got hold of him. I mean, we can stretch and guess that's what caused it, but it cuts away and then cuts back afterward to the cops having caught up to him.

The sore thumb is that he drove off for a considerable and indeterminable (as it cuts away) distance seeming utterly unscathed after being directly blasted, while the other bike stopped immediately - assuming it wasn't intentionally, to take aim and fire at Batman. So there's an inconsistency and an uncertainty pervading the effectiveness of the gun to stop engines throughout the whole scene.

I feel like it's possible Nolan was going for what you're saying, but he established it very weakly. So weakly that many people were left kind of confused.

Could've used a few seconds of talking to Fox to straighten it out. Or at least they could have better demonstrated cars actually being stopped by it.

__________________
Why do we fall?
RustyCage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #845
MasterOgami
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lost on a Silent Planet
Posts: 240
Default Re: Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyCage View Post
I feel like it's possible Nolan was going for what you're saying, but he established it very weakly. So weakly that many people were left kind of confused.

Could've used a few seconds of talking to Fox to straighten it out. Or at least they could have better demonstrated cars actually being stopped by it.
I have to admit I thought it was pretty clear and straightforward: lights go out, cars slow, engines cut out/rev back to life, Batman fires at bike, bike's on the ground. This is the first I've of heard many people being confused by what was transpiring in the scene.

I suppose to uncover the true nature of what was occurring in the sequence we could go to the script. I'm only citing it to clarify Nolan's intention for the scene. Whether or not the finished product, which is of course different, is as clear as the script is up for debate I guess I'll agree that it would've been nice to see some cars roll to a stop, but I don't think it was necessary (and probably would've thrown off the scene's timing).

EXT. HIGHWAY - CONTINUOUS
Food Guy drives the rear bike. He looks back - sees
streetlights explode behind him - darkness catching him up.
The engine chokes and dies. The Trader jumps off, shouting
for the cops. Food Guy turns, pulling his gun. SMASH! - Food
Guy is thrown backwards off his bike by a dark wing as
BATMAN races by on the Bat-Pod.

EXT. STOCK EXCHANGE - CONTINUOUS
Foley rushes to Blakeís cruiser.

FOLEY
Letís roll, theyíve spotted the
Batman!

EXT. HIGHWAY INTERSECTION - CONTINUOUS
The remaining bikes split up as they reach a high overpass.

EXT. HIGH OVERPASS - CONTINUOUS
Batman pulls up, overlooking the intersection - pulls a
rifle-shaped device. A tone builds - he aims it at the bike
and fires.

EXT. HIGHWAY OFF-RAMP - CONTINUOUS
Janitorís bike sparks and dies. Sirens as Cops move in,
Another bike splutters and dies - the Hostage breaks for
cover.

EXT. HIGH OVERPASS - CONTINUOUS
Batman sees the last two bikes disappear beneath an
overpass. He holsters his EMP rifle and guns the Bat-Pod.

MasterOgami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:03 PM   #846
Tequilla
Side-Kick
 
Tequilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: P
Posts: 1,727
Default Re: Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

I just got home and rewatched the scene

Its crystal clear what the emp does to the bikes and the cars , etc. I dont understand the confusion.

Tequilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #847
RustyCage
Come what may..
 
RustyCage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gotham
Posts: 4,011
Default Re: Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOgami View Post
I suppose to uncover the true nature of what was occurring in the sequence we could go to the script.
Good call, again. Where did you find it??

Quote:
I'll agree that it would've been nice to see some cars roll to a stop, but I don't think it was necessary (and probably would've thrown off the scene's timing).
I think the scene needed a bit more padding, personally. Even just a handful of seconds.

There are a ton of elements of the film that needed more time though. This is one of the less important ones, but I figured it was worth analyzing for the sake of understanding.

Quote:
EXT. HIGHWAY - CONTINUOUS
Food Guy drives the rear bike. He looks back -
Waaaiiit wait wait wait wait wait wait.

FOOD GUY?

Quote:
sees
streetlights explode behind him - darkness catching him up.
The engine chokes and dies. The Trader jumps off, shouting
for the cops. Food Guy turns, pulling his gun. SMASH! - Food
Guy is thrown backwards off his bike by a dark wing as
BATMAN races by on the Bat-Pod.
Well, there we go. Issue resolved. Needed a bit more visual communication, but you can't argue with the script.

Quote:
EXT. HIGHWAY OFF-RAMP - CONTINUOUS
Janitor’s bike sparks and dies. Sirens as Cops move in,
Another bike splutters and dies - the Hostage breaks for
cover.
Janitor. lol

This is the bike the rifle was fired at. It didn't spark and die as the script says.

It drove off for a considerable amount of distance, and then the camera cuts to Batman's rifle being shot by the cop for a few seconds.

Next time we see him, the cops have apparently stopped him.

I don't remember seeing a second bike spark and die during this bit, either. Must have been cut.

__________________
Why do we fall?
RustyCage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #848
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz
 
BlueLightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,292
Default Re: Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyCage View Post

Waaaiiit wait wait wait wait wait wait.

FOOD GUY?
It was the food delivery guy nickname in the script.

__________________

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

BlueLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:41 PM   #849
Tequilla
Side-Kick
 
Tequilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: P
Posts: 1,727
Default Re: Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

What food delivery guy ?

Was there one in the stock scene ?

Tequilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:50 PM   #850
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz
 
BlueLightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,292
Default Re: Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

Yep.

__________________

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

BlueLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.