The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #801
TheFuture
Rising

Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread

God dammit Pepe.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #802
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread

I know someone will argue that it happens with a lot of top clubs but it always seems like other teams hand City results at the Etihad.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 02-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #803
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Liverpool should have taken all 3 points, fantastic strikes from Sturridge and Gerrard, but Agger and Reina were to blame for the goals they conceded even though they were well taken by Dzeko and Aguero.

No doubt the first goal should have been pulled up for the foul on Dzeko, but no way Liverpool should have kicked the ball out when he clearly wasn't hurt, he was just sitting on his arse moaning instead of getting up and chasing back to help his team.

Bellamy said Liverpool had arrived after the last two games, but for me Liverpool have played well against the other big teams for the last 2 seasons, the problem is slipping up against the lower half teams, it's the bread and butter that puts you in contention for the league and they need to get that sorted out.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 02-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #804
TheFuture
Rising

I would have taken 2 points from Arsenal and City anyway, would never have imagined though that we'd throw wins away in both games.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #805
kit1982
Side-Kick

I have nothing against Brendan Rodgers and was happy that a top team went for a young Brit manager, but some of the accolades he has got from pundits this year seem OTT. Bellamy and old GQ were saying how well he's managed Downing, but it's only a few months ago Rodgers was trying desperately to force him out the club, Henderson hardly got a look in. Sturridge apart his signings have been suspect (not a Joe Allen fan at all).
People talk about this passing football they play, but under Kenny they were hardly a longball side, I remember against Arsenal at home last season they put in a performance I haven't really seen matched since.

I dunno if I'm being overly harsh but with Dalglishs signings becoming a bigger
presence in the side after a settling in period and the emergence of Sterling, it just seems like it's been right place, right time rather than Rodgers genius. I honestly don't think if Kenny was still manager they'd be any worse off.

*puts on tin hat and awaits Spideys barrage!*

Old 02-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #806
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Petrol View Post
What a Toolbox!...
Newcastle still have a few more first team English players but half of them a rubbish.

I prefer quality of over quantity

Old 02-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #807
spidey-dude
@Ciaran_CP

once again I feel we could easily have won a game, so im frustrated but theres been some great positivesnfrom the last 2 games as we have shown that we can play better football (IMO) than arse and citeh, IMO we lost both games due to lapse in concentration, the signs are good though

and I say it week in week out but ladies and gentleman can I start saying "I told you so" about Hendo yet?

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
twitter: @Ciaran_CP

Old 02-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #808
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey-dude View Post
once again I feel we could easily have won a game, so im frustrated but theres been some great positivesnfrom the last 2 games as we have shown that we can play better football (IMO) than arse and citeh, IMO we lost both games due to lapse in concentration, the signs are good though

and I say it week in week out but ladies and gentleman can I start saying "I told you so" about Hendo yet?
Nope.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 02-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #809
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 02-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #810
Dr Lee
Feet first into hell

*Crawls in and collapses on the floor*

Still Alive folks...blasted computers hate me...

Great to see that not only we're making a bit of ground between us and City, but that Rooney is getting back to his better form.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #811
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Also congratulations to Joey Barton for his first Ligue 1 red card.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #812
Iceman
XMN AVNGRS JL

I approve of this event

Old 02-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #813
Poeman
Banned User

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...-probe?cc=5901

Dark day for soccer

380 matches suspect in European Fixing Probe
Quote:
THE HAGUE, Netherlands -- A wide-ranging match-fixing investigation has uncovered more than 380 suspicious matches -- including World Cup and European Championship qualifiers and two Champions League games...

The probe uncovered 8 million euros ($10.9 million) in betting profits and 2 million euros ($2.7 million) in bribes to players and officials and has already led to several prosecutions.

Last edited by Poeman; 02-04-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #814
spidey-dude
@Ciaran_CP

not surprised in the slightest if I am honest

I don't imagine it is due to how it actually happened (plus dudeks amazing save) but if Milan threw 05 it will be one of the most upsetting things ever

EDIT: last 3-4 years we're in the clear, now to sit back with the popcorn

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Last edited by spidey-dude; 02-04-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #815
bapi
Side-Kick

I think Liverpool deserved to win. Actually it was very similar to that game against Dortmund. They were pressing our midfield high with good intensity and had pacy players upfront. But we don't press, we have no width, no pace, no mobility... Again and again. I think it's over for City and hopefully they'll show some better performances in FA Cup. However the scary thing is Mancini didn't learn anything so if he'll stay we could see similar failure in CL next season.

Heath Ledger, 1979-2008
Old 02-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #816
Iceman
XMN AVNGRS JL

Damn, how do they get away with it when all these games are recorded and kept like permanently.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #817
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey-dude View Post
not surprised in the slightest if I am honest

I don't imagine it is due to how it actually happened (plus dudeks amazing save) but if Milan threw 05 it will be one of the most upsetting things ever

EDIT: last 3-4 years we're in the clear, now to sit back with the popcorn
I never thought Milan threw that one. They simply thought they'd already won it with the 1st half (they were allegedly already celebrating in their dressing room at half time iirc) and didn't have their heads in the game for the 2nd.

And this match fixing involves officials as much as it does players....(thinks back to Orviebo somehow missing 3 stonewall penalties Chelsea had a few years back, lol).

Remains to be seen if any English teams and/or officials are named and shamed, but I'd certainly take a good look at Chris Foy's finances if I were them (conspicuous amount of 'upsets' when he is in charge, usually with controversial decisions in favor of the underdogs).

I'd think it naive at best to beleive these syndicates have not infiltrated the English league as well, just remains a question of how much and who have they got to?

Old 02-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #818
kit1982
Side-Kick

Hmmm I'm trying to think of a manager, who not only has been in the CL in the last 4 years, but also has a history of dodgy dealings...... I'm really stuck on this one

Old 02-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #819
spidey-dude
@Ciaran_CP

papers are claiming it actually is one of our matches where the opposition keeper was told to let in 3 but we only scored once.... and it was a rebound from a save.... makes us sound ****! haha seriously though I dont know if it is speculation that it is that match cos we had 7 shots on target, he could have easily fumbled 3 goals

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Old 02-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #820
Dr Lee
Feet first into hell

To be honest, the only game I can think of is the Chelsea Barcalona CL game...but maybe that's too obvious to be the game...

Old 02-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #821
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

If the syndicates are smart they'd avoid high profile games like the plague. A lot easier to get away with this stunt for matches where the spotlight aint so bright.

Having said that the investigation has caught them out, and a good number of the players & officials involved, so maybe they aint so smart.

Regarding Chelsea's infamous game with Barcelona playing volleyball for fun...I think that ref was just incompetent. They still needed a late injury time stunner to win them that game after all (if the ref was on the take he'd have gifted them a penalty or 2 to make sure they got the win, rather than just deny us a few stonewall penalty claims and hope they got something in the net as late as they did).

Old 02-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #822
Iceman
XMN AVNGRS JL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Lee View Post
To be honest, the only game I can think of is the Chelsea Barcalona CL game...but maybe that's too obvious to be the game...
Which game was it that Chelsea had 4 penalties turned down and Ballack was going crazy. Chelsea Bayern?

Also that ref who sent off Van Persie 0.1 seconds after he kicked the ball for timewasting (against guess who..) would be a good place to start (& if he's innocent then you fire him).

Old 02-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #823
Iceman
XMN AVNGRS JL

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
If the syndicates are smart they'd avoid high profile games like the plague. A lot easier to get away with this stunt for matches where the spotlight aint so bright.

Having said that the investigation has caught them out, and a good number of the players & officials involved, so maybe they aint so smart.

Regarding Chelsea's infamous game with Barcelona playing volleyball for fun...I think that ref was just incompetent. They still needed a late injury time stunner to win them that game after all (if the ref was on the take he'd have gifted them a penalty or 2 to make sure they got the win, rather than just deny us a few stonewall penalty claims and hope they got something in the net as late as they did).
I think the issue is that with lower profile games the unusual amounts of money involved would itself attract suspicion while it wouldn't necessarily be a big deal for worldwide gambling on a major match.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #824
spidey-dude
@Ciaran_CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post

I think theres probably plenty they havent even got the feintest whisper of

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Old 02-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #825
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Ovrebo.

Closed Thread