The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > DC Comics

Old 01-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #26
Baramos
Side-Kick

Default Re: If you could choose one Batman story to introduce someone to Batman comics...

The Killing Joke I would indeed reject, I felt The Man Who Laughs was much more about Batman dealing with the Joker than about the Joker/way the Joker thinks, though. It's Batman-centric, whereas the Killing Joke is indeed Joker-centric.

Baramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #27
Tristan_McClark
Side-Kick

Default Re: If you could choose one Batman story to introduce someone to Batman comics...

I would go with The Long Halloween for comics. It has the elements of a crime story that's popular on television.

If the person asked for which television series, I'd go with Batman TAS.

Tristan_McClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #28
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic

I know this might catch flak but Battle for the Cowl.

Why? Because it would introduce the entire Bat-Family all three Robins included, several main villains, Damian Wayne. A timeline of Batman's escapades and a glimpse into the future.

Also because it was technically the first true story of Batman I read once I finally got into comics. So if it worked for me it should work for them.

And definitely Batman TAS if it was for television.

BlackMagicWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #29
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan_McClark View Post
I would go with The Long Halloween for comics. It has the elements of a crime story that's popular on television.

If the person asked for which television series, I'd go with Batman TAS.
When I read it it seemed that Long Halloween (an excellent comic to introduce someone to Batman) follows Year One. The set up about Falcone and Catwoman and everything seems to flow from Year One to me. I would read in that order, Year One and then Long Halloween.
Maybe Hush would be a good one too. Its all about Batman and who he is, and sets up his relationships with everyone else. Alfred, Nightwing, Catwoman, Gordon, Joker, Two-Face, Ras al Ghul, Riddler, Jason Todd even. And it shows the relationship between Batman and Catwoman really well.

Artistsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #30
Tristan_McClark
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistsean View Post
When I read it it seemed that Long Halloween (an excellent comic to introduce someone to Batman) follows Year One. The set up about Falcone and Catwoman and everything seems to flow from Year One to me. I would read in that order, Year One and then Long Halloween.
Maybe Hush would be a good one too. Its all about Batman and who he is, and sets up his relationships with everyone else. Alfred, Nightwing, Catwoman, Gordon, Joker, Two-Face, Ras al Ghul, Riddler, Jason Todd even. And it shows the relationship between Batman and Catwoman really well.
You have a good point. And can't forget Hush! I may have been a little bias, too. I like and respect Year One, but Long Halloween really just made me a fan

Old 01-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #31
Baramos
Side-Kick

As a tangent on Batman origin comics: Did anyone else like Batman: Earth One besides me?

Baramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:49 PM   #32
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baramos View Post
As a tangent on Batman origin comics: Did anyone else like Batman: Earth One besides me?
I liked it, even if some people didn't, Gary Frank's art alone brings it up among gods like Don Newton, Jim Aparo.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:41 AM   #33
Kiltak

Cataclysm or No Man's Land.

Kiltak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:21 AM   #34
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

Earth One has a lot of interesting stuffs to bring as an alternate origin story. I don't think I would like it as a canon origin, but as a earth one origin, it's great.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:02 PM   #35
RustyCage
Come what may..

I'd start them with The Long Halloween, suggest Haunted Knight afterward, then Year One and The Killing Joke.

Also might suggest Court of Owls as an early read.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:28 AM   #36
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Batman and the Monster Men.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:41 AM   #37
TheTrekkie117

Ninja Re: If you could choose one Batman story to introduce someone to Batman comics...

I would have to be the Dick Grayson backstory, of how Graysons family was murdered, how it relates to Batman, and how Batman took in poor Dick.
Gotta love batman

TheTrekkie117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:45 AM   #38
TheTrekkie117

Quote:
I liked Earth One! I thought the origin story was an intriguing way to retell the first batman adventure ;-)

TheTrekkie117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:06 AM   #39
Bigjxxx
Side-Kick

Why not Batman and the monster men.

Bigjxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #40
Forty-Two
Newbie First Class

Scott Snyder's current run. Great plots, art, action, and characters.

Forty-Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #41
Forty-Two
Newbie First Class

I realize it is supposed to be one particular story, but it's too difficult to decide between Owls and D.O.t.F.

Forty-Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:06 AM   #42
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

I suggest Gotham Central to people a lot. Not really a Batman series, though.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #43
Sky Captain
Side-Kick

Batgirl: Year One is a good choice.

Sky Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #44
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

Batman Annual #14 - The Eye of the Beholder

Old 10-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #45
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #46
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
I found it atrocious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
I liked it, even if some people didn't, Gary Frank's art alone brings it up among gods like Don Newton, Jim Aparo.
meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Ebert
Most of the executives in Hollywood - in fact almost everyone in the movie industry - is smarter than almost all of the movies they make, and they know it. They're just not smart enough not to make them.
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #47
NosfeRomas
Side-Kick

I started with The Killing Joke and it worked for me. Because i had no idea Batman shouldn't kill i almost got the ending (i was pretty sure Batman did something to the Joker i just wasn't sure he strangled him, i thought he pushed him of a higher ground to match the joke). Getting something with good artwork also help to bring people in.

Year One is my pick, followed by The Long Halloween. The man who laughs was a huge dissapointment imo and not worthy of either the Killing Joke tie in or the Year One.

Some of them fell into Hell
NosfeRomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #48
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosfeRomas View Post
I started with The Killing Joke and it worked for me. Because i had no idea Batman shouldn't kill i almost got the ending (i was pretty sure Batman did something to the Joker i just wasn't sure he strangled him, i thought he pushed him of a higher ground to match the joke). Getting something with good artwork also help to bring people in.
I thought the exact same thing, while i knew the rules i thought he strangled the Joker, another friend of mine thought the same.

Year One is my pick, followed by The Long Halloween. The man who laughs was a huge dissapointment imo and not worthy of either the Killing Joke tie in or the Year One.[/QUOTE]
Really? I never really got the disapointment of The Man Who Laughs, i allways found it very good, i was actually disapointed by Long Halloween, some parts felt like a complete rip-off of the Godfather. With the killing joke i only discovered it was regarded as one of the Best Batman comics way after i read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Ebert
Most of the executives in Hollywood - in fact almost everyone in the movie industry - is smarter than almost all of the movies they make, and they know it. They're just not smart enough not to make them.
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #49
NosfeRomas
Side-Kick

The Long Halloween paid homage to The Godfather, Silence of the Lambs and fil, noir in general. Loeb used scenes and adapted lines and plot devices, everybody does that to a certain extent. I actually had a blast with The Long Halloween and while i do think it drags a bit its still a very well put together book and a classic story because it has everything you want from a good Batman book.

With the Man who Laughs i have many problems. Overall it doesn't seem bad but the Joker is really off if you pay close attention. His motivation is pretty bland, he comes off as lonely and sad instead of Batman's opposite or insane. When he talks i feel its someone impersonating The Joker. His schemes are quite interesting and it probably would have worked as just ONE random Joker issue but they made such a big deal about connecting it to Year One AND The Killing Joke at the same time. Also the art is a bit too sketchy.

Some of them fell into Hell
NosfeRomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #50
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

I would have added Loeb to the list, but his character's verbal tics knocked the work down a star or two, in terms of quality. Plus, the art and coloring were not the best in TLH: the women were not drawn too well. Dark Victory, on the other hand, is a different cas (better art and coloring.) Hush had great art, but had a problematic mystery and reveal. Dini did a better job of explaining Hush's motivations (and trying his origins in with Scarecrow.) So, if I had to rank his work, it would be:

-Dark Victory
-The Long Halloween
-Hush

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote