The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

View Poll Results: Love interest for Cap
Sharon Carter 86 79.63%
Wasp 3 2.78%
Other 19 17.59%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #951
Frico
Detective

Default Re: Love Interest for Captain America II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
I was sold on the idea of her as Sharon even before I saw this. But still, pretty good job.

I do it because of a reckless bat. I do it because it's justice for my parents. I do it because no one else will. But most of all...I do it because I have to. - Batman

Old 02-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #952
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Let me put it this way.

VanCamp is in no way anymore "generically pretty" than any of the other actresses rumored for the role.
I really disagree on that.

Like, I actually find EVC prettier than about most of them, but those other actresses have more unique features.

I have a hard time remembering who she looks like if I'm not looking at her, is what I'm saying.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:26 PM   #953
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMcGiveny View Post

Like, I actually find EVC prettier than about most of them, but those other actresses have more unique features.

I have a hard time remembering who she looks like if I'm not looking at her, is what I'm saying.
I disagree with that. Emily has a unique looking face IMO. Memorable too.

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
Old 02-04-2013, 11:42 PM   #954
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMcGiveny View Post

Funny, I think the same thing about Sharon Carter in the comics.

Look, Sharon is pretty in the comics, but she's not meant to be a knockout. Unlike Natasha, seduction is not part of her toolkit. She is a good, capable agent, whose family history connected her to Steve Rogers far more than her physical attractiveness did.

Personally, I don't think Vancamp is a knockout, either, but I know I'm in the minority on that one, and I'll happily and quietly remain in the minority; and god bless all of you who drool over her. Please continue to do so. The main thing I want to see from her is good acting, some decent gunplay and hand-to-hand, and some believable chemistry with Chris Evans.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 02-05-2013, 12:37 AM   #955
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Dry Re: Love Interest for Captain America II

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Funny, I think the same thing about Sharon Carter in the comics.

Look, Sharon is pretty in the comics, but she's not meant to be a knockout. Unlike Natasha, seduction is not part of her toolkit. She is a good, capable agent, whose family history connected her to Steve Rogers far more than her physical attractiveness did.

Personally, I don't think Vancamp is a knockout, either, but I know I'm in the minority on that one, and I'll happily and quietly remain in the minority; and god bless all of you who drool over her. Please continue to do so. The main thing I want to see from her is good acting, some decent gunplay and hand-to-hand, and some believable chemistry with Chris Evans.
For crying out loud. I'm not complaining she isn't pretty enough. I'm not demanding that she played by a knockout.

I just find her pretty without really interesting to look at.

And while Sharon isn't particularly known for her beauty in the comics, neither is Peggy or Betty Ross. And Maria Hill has been referred to as mannish.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #956
JAK®
Upstart

I just don't understand why actresses have to live up to our own personal standards of attractiveness.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #957
04nbod
I need to debrief you

Sucks for Cap. Iron Man and Thor get oscar winners, he gets the annoying one from Everwood.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #958
DarthMuppet
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04nbod View Post
Sucks for Cap. Iron Man and Thor get oscar winners, he gets the annoying one from Everwood.
Heaven forbid anyone actually give the girl a chance and see what she can do with the role...

Old 02-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #959
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Here's the thing, though: Cap gets the girl who is actually superheroine (or at least action heroine) material. Betty Ross, Pepper Potts and Jane Foster might all be lovely award-winning actresses, but they're just damsels in distress. Cap's girl gets to go on missions and kick ass right there alongside him; and I believe Vancamp is in it for the long haul. Marvel tends to hire TV stars for their recurring lead roles, as oppposed to bigger film stars for the supporting and villain roles. That says to me that she was hired for a multi-film contract.

Which also says to me that Sharon Carter isn't *necessarily* who she's playing. The suggestion has been made, not by me, but I think it's a card that still can be played: Vancamp might be Carol Danvers.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #960
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Oscar winners don't always make for the best action stars.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #961
DarthMuppet
Side-Kick

Quote:
Which also says to me that Sharon Carter isn't *necessarily* who she's playing. The suggestion has been made, not by me, but I think it's a card that still can be played: Vancamp might be Carol Danvers.
I'm fairly certain that with Emily's character being billed as a love interest, we can rule out her being Carol Danvers. I guess it ~could~ happen, but I haven't seen a single thing to suggest that's the direction they're going. She might not be Sharon Carter(although all evidence points to her being Sharon), but I really don't think Carol will appear anywhere in the film.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #962
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

I hope she is Sharon. If not, it will be like Emma Stone being cast in ASM. Everyone was pleased about it until they found out she wasn't MJ but Gwen Stacy. Then it was like, WTF?

Old 02-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #963
DarthMuppet
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
I hope she is Sharon. If not, it will be like Emma Stone being cast in ASM. Everyone was pleased about it until they found out she wasn't MJ but Gwen Stacy. Then it was like, WTF?
I agree. The ONLY possibility that makes any sense is her being Sharon Carter.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #964
CaptainCanada
Shield of the True North

Quote:
That says to me that she was hired for a multi-film contract.
Why wouldn't they sign Steve's girlfriend to a multi-film contract, regardless of who she was? And she's a bigger name than Hayley Atwell, arguably, so that doesn't prove anything.

I wonder if Sharon will run into Starlord at any point in the movieverse.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #965
DarthMuppet
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanada View Post
Why wouldn't they sign Steve's girlfriend to a multi-film contract, regardless of who she was? And she's a bigger name than Hayley Atwell, arguably, so that doesn't prove anything.
Exactly. She'll probably be signed to a four or five picture deal regardless of who she's playing. I just wish Marvel would go ahead and release a press statement so all this endless debate over who her character is would cease. I like Carol Danvers also, but really... expecting to see her in this film seems like nothing more than wishful thinking, and in my opinion, doesn't make much sense.

Here's a link to an older news article where the writers for The Winter Soldier even said they wanted to put Sharon in the film(as well as The Falcon):

http://www.slashfilm.com/captain-ame...rs-40s-scenes/

Old 02-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #966
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

What's stopping Marvel from saying who exactly she is? Why would they hold that information back? Is she not Sharon possibly? Otherwise what other possible reason do they have for not just revealing her character? Is JJ Abrams working on this somehow?

Old 02-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #967
DarthMuppet
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
What's stopping Marvel from saying who exactly she is? Why would they hold that information back? Is she not Sharon possibly? Otherwise what other possible reason do they have for not just revealing her character? Is JJ Abrams working on this somehow?
Simple really, they haven't released their official press release regarding her casting yet. It's not really that they're being secretive or anything. I'm sure her character's identity will be in it when they do. I'd expect it within the next week or so.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #968
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

Quote:
Iron Man also had to deal with the annoying girl from Popular and GCB AND Thor had the monotone Kat Dennings that was mainly know for being annoying in teen comedies and 40 Year Old Virgin.

VanCamp has done a lot more since Everwood, not fair to hold it against her.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #969
Bren
Forevernoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Meh don't bring back the waitress. Insignificant character.
Besides insignificant, she was annoying as hell imo.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #970
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMuppet View Post
I'm fairly certain that with Emily's character being billed as a love interest, we can rule out her being Carol Danvers. I guess it ~could~ happen, but I haven't seen a single thing to suggest that's the direction they're going. She might not be Sharon Carter(although all evidence points to her being Sharon), but I really don't think Carol will appear anywhere in the film.
I know, it's a long shot. And I firmly believe she *is* Sharon Carter. But I'm leaving just enough room for doubt, due to the fact that I believe Vancamp is getting a multi-pic deal that Sharon may or may not be "worthy" of, and due to the fact that it's getting increasingly harder to find a spot to drop Ms. Marvel into the lineup. Unless a Ms. Marvel movie gets announced for Phase III, I really don't see her appearing except in someone else's movie; and the only likely candidates I see in the very near future are CATWS, GOTG, or Avengers 2. Otherwise, you can pretty much write off the Avengers' "Wonder Woman," and I just don't think they're going to do that to her.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #971
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

Coulson's character had a multi-movie deal. Sharon is a hell of a lot more deserving I'm sure.
Not a good enough reason for doubt.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #972
Ksb36
Side-Kick

I just went and looked at the casting page on featurefilmcasting.com and this caught my eye: "Still to be cast is Steve Rogers' female love interest in the film, as well as Sharon Carter/Agent 13 among others."

Does this imply to anyone else that Agent 13 and Cap's love interest are not the same person? Hmmmmm......

Old 02-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #973
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Iron Man also had to deal with the annoying girl from Popular and GCB AND Thor had the monotone Kat Dennings that was mainly know for being annoying in teen comedies and 40 Year Old Virgin.

VanCamp has done a lot more since Everwood, not fair to hold it against her.

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
Old 02-05-2013, 10:16 PM   #974
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Take everything that featurefilmcasting.com posts with a grain of salt; they're usually pretty reliable, but they don't always get accurate info, and sometimes misinterpret the info they *do* get.

However, if there's anything to that at all, another possibility to consider is Diamondback. She's long been a Catwoman-like foil/love interest to Steve. But, of course, you'd have to introduce the Serpent Society first, and there's no real sign of them anywhere on the horizon, so....

I think all roads still lead back to Sharon. I just think the casting site is confused.

*Edit: however, featurefilmcasting.com does have one useful bit of information: the working title for CATWS is Freezerburn.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #975
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

I like Dennings. She had a poorly written role in a poorly written film. Atleast she wasn't boring and bland like Portman was. Don't think I blame Portman either.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Closed Thread