The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 02-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #26
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Default Re: "You think you'e the only one who can learn the strength to escape?"

Its a fantastic line.

Tequilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #27
batbax
Side-Kick

Default Re: "You think you'e the only one who can learn the strength to escape?"

Hehe.. Maybe batman should sing his line there. We all know batman is best in musical form. Lol.

batbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:14 AM   #28
bionics
The Illmatik One.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Absolutely. Myths are meant for us to dive into and derive meaning from. These characters are total archetypes, they're giant walking metaphors. And the films explicitly deal with a struggle of ideals and the power of symbols.

The immediate, plot reason for the line was to set up Talia's reveal. But to say the line doesn't offer a window into a contrasting nature between Batman and Bane, where one had the strength to escape the pit (another giant metaphor) while one didn't...it forsakes a larger view of the movie and the characters.
Well said.

Although it becomes irritating to attribute a metaphor or deeper meaning to every single line in a movie in a contrived manner, I think this is an instance where you can regard what is being said at more than face value.

bionics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:21 AM   #29
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionics View Post
Well said.

Although it becomes irritating to attribute a metaphor or deeper meaning to every single line in a movie in a contrived manner, I think this is an instance where you can regard what is being said at more than face value.
Not everything needs to be a metaphor. But there's a continuous subtext in Rises (because that's the subject of the topic). That usually happens with good writing.

Tequilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #30
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilla View Post
Not everything needs to be a metaphor. But there's a continuous subtext in Rises (because that's the subject of the topic). That usually happens with good writing.
Exactly. It's not so much that Nolan is like, "Oh let's have a metaphor here, let's make this line have a deeper meaning"....the film is structured in such a way that these core ideas flow naturally out of the plot. Rises relies on a lot more symbolism to get its ideas across than the previous films.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #31
Jim Smiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post
last son, I think Bane's conversation with Bruce after they arrived at the Pit is the biggest support for this theory. He gets a haunted look when he talks about people climbing over one another to stay in the sun. Like the stuff he saw in the Pit lingered with him.
I like this, you're on to something. Because, Ra's rescues Talia and Bane. Fixes Bane up, and whats he do...go back to the Pit. Why else go back if not for this reason...it was the only "home" he has ever known.

"This is Bane's prision now, he wouldn't want this story told."

Jim Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:52 AM   #32
Just_Human
Side-Kick

I think he just meant that he never escaped by himself, unlike Talia and Bruce

That's all

Just_Human is offline   Reply With Quote