The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

View Poll Results: Beyond or Returns?
Batman Beyond 21 53.85%
Dark Knight Returns 17 43.59%
Other Future 2 5.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #51
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

Only the cartoon for me. But, it had to be anyways since I don't read much comics to begin with.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:15 PM   #52
RustyCage
Come what may..
 
RustyCage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gotham
Posts: 4,017
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Only the cartoon for me. But, it had to be anyways since I don't read much comics to begin with.
I didn't used to either, but it's given me a much richer appreciation for the love, care, references, and little quirks of the films that would have completely flown over my head otherwise.

You should totally dive in and check out the major Batman books that you think might interest you. For me, it's kind of a romantic experience - but then again, there's also a lot of disappointment to be found too. lol

I guess every garden gets it's weeds.

__________________
Why do we fall?
RustyCage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #53
Mister Meddle
The Barber of Seville
 
Mister Meddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 2,385
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

I prefer Batman Beyond. To me it's more believable and it's really what I would expect from Batman and his future. I like TDK Returns but it's difficult to believe he could go out there and kick ass at an old age. Bruce was about the same age in the beginning of Batman Beyond when he retired as Batman but the only reason he was able to last so long was because he had a new suit that was able to provide better protection and allow other abilities that would make crime fighting easier for him.

It's also difficult for me to believe he would recruit a teenage girl as his new sidekick just because she helped him to the tank when he was severely injured. In Beyond Bruce was sick of putting young sidekicks in dangerous situations and he wasn't willing to give Terry the chance however he winded up giving him the chance in a way that was more believable. Terry was the body, Bruce was the eyes, ears and spirit of Batman. And it's not like he just said "okay kid, go out and kick ass I'll see you later". Bruce literally monitored and guided him the entire way which I thought was neat because it's definitely something an old Bruce Wayne would do if decides to give the job to somebody else.

I really like TDK Returns. I own it and read the comics and I really enjoyed the new animated films. But to me Batman Beyond is the better story.

__________________
"I'm not in this business to protect the rules, I serve justice"
Mister Meddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #54
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest
 
BH/HHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Leeds
Posts: 15,082
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyCage View Post
Well, how much did you read, and what did you think? That's what I'm curious about.
I've read Hush Beyond, industrial Revolution and am continuously reading the Batman Beyond Unlimited comics (which I love more for Superman Beyond admittedly) and I've loved them all. I think there's sone continuity errors between the comics and animated series but I just let them go.

__________________
MAN OF STEEL


THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #55
RustyCage
Come what may..
 
RustyCage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gotham
Posts: 4,017
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Meddle View Post
I prefer Batman Beyond. To me it's more believable and it's really what I would expect from Batman and his future. I like TDK Returns but it's difficult to believe he could go out there and kick ass at an old age. Bruce was about the same age in the beginning of Batman Beyond when he retired as Batman but the only reason he was able to last so long was because he had a new suit that was able to provide better protection and allow other abilities that would make crime fighting easier for him.

It's also difficult for me to believe he would recruit a teenage girl as his new sidekick just because she helped him to the tank when he was severely injured. In Beyond Bruce was sick of putting young sidekicks in dangerous situations and he wasn't willing to give Terry the chance however he winded up giving him the chance in a way that was more believable. Terry was the body, Bruce was the eyes, ears and spirit of Batman. And it's not like he just said "okay kid, go out and kick ass I'll see you later". Bruce literally monitored and guided him the entire way which I thought was neat because it's definitely something an old Bruce Wayne would do if decides to give the job to somebody else.

I really like TDK Returns. I own it and read the comics and I really enjoyed the new animated films. But to me Batman Beyond is the better story.
Well put.

__________________
Why do we fall?
RustyCage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #56
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant
 
pr0xyt0xin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 5,089
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

I like pretending they both exist.

Batman's main career (Year One, TAS, JLA)
The Dark Knight Returns (age late 50s)
Batman Beyond (age 60s-70s)

headcon

pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #57
ThePhantasm
Feedin' the Wampa
 
ThePhantasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 11,755
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

They can't both exist... contradictory timelines.

Case in point: the death of the Joker.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow_22 View Post
Look for reports of mysterious heroism in the next 6 years. Then check back on this thread
Countdown to Mysterious Heroism | H.E.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #58
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick
 
Tacit Ronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 10,713
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

I thought he so readily excepted girly Robin because of a psychological need for it. Remember, the guilt of Jason kept him dream walking in the night. Perhaps, in some twisted way, he saw helping and using Carrey as some sort of redemption. TDKR Bats was flippin insane.

__________________
Robert Downey Jr: Max Ray
Daniel Craig: Jake Rockwell
Chris Evans: Ace Mccloud
The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:37 PM   #59
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant
 
pr0xyt0xin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 5,089
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
They can't both exist... contradictory timelines.

Case in point: the death of the Joker.
I'm not saying they fit perfectly. I'm just saying I think they are both great and they would have made some sense together.

For instance, seeing Bruce with a cane at the end of Dark Knight Returns. Just screamed Batman Beyond to me. Now you could argue all day about Sons of the Batman, Carrie as Robin, blah blah blah.

Bottom line is, he was doing SOMEthing between Batman and Batman Beyond... And i like to believe that was Dark Knight Returns

pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #60
dnno1
Side-Kick
 
dnno1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,662
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?


__________________
Dno
dnno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #61
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest
 
BH/HHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Leeds
Posts: 15,082
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

/\ that is awesome

__________________
MAN OF STEEL


THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #62
Bathead
The Oldest Geek
 
Bathead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sumwear in Pencilvainya
Posts: 5,221
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

I'm generally not a big fan of the "Over-Teched" look for Batman, but for Batman Beyond it kinda fits.

__________________
Little fly upon the wall,
Ain't you got no friends at all?
Wanna see God?
*splat*
Bathead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:34 PM   #63
Victarion
Cut
 
Victarion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,519
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

Overall, I found DKR to be boring. That isn't to say there weren't elements I did like: the mutant gang, the fire, the bomb were cool. I much prefer Beyond, from the rogues to the suit.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toll The Hounds
“Evil is nothing but a word, an objectification where no objectification is necessary. Cast aside this notion of some external agency as the source of inconceivable inhumanity – the sad truth is our possession of an innate proclivity towards indifference, towards deliberate denial of mercy, towards disengaging all that is moral within us. But if that is too dire, let’s call it evil. And paint it with fire and venom.”
Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #64
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist
 
Doc Samson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: GammaBase
Posts: 4,314
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

For me personally, I've just never really gotten into Batman Beyond. I just never cared for Terry as a character, and in my mind, the only reasonable successor to Batman is Dick. I really wish he would've just stayed Batman in the comics and leave it at that, it's the only scenario that ever made sense for me, for Dick to graduate from Nightwing into Batman. He's the only character I feel has ever been capable of embodying that spirit in terms of ability & experience.

DKR is also my favorite Batman story of all, so I'm somewhat partial. In particular the resolution to Batman's relationship with the Joker is the only way I could ever see it ending, as well as Bruce's own strategy to alleviate himself completely of the "Wayne persona" and travel underground to train and develop an army to continue the fight.

Technically, if Batman Beyond were to continue from where DKR ends (and erasing DK Strikes Again) and Terry was one of those underground trainees that rises to the top of the food chain, it would work much better, at least for me.

__________________
"I don't give a **** what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations,' Well, **** you. Because I don't play for your ******* approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That's what I play for."
- Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather

Last edited by Doc Samson; 01-28-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Doc Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:02 PM   #65
spidermanJLA!~
SUPERHERO
 
spidermanJLA!~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Swingin' around NYC
Posts: 1,270
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

I know you shouldn't judge a book by its film adaption but I just saw TDKR part 2. Can't say I was a fan. Every character was just weird. I didn't find it remarkable when it ended. It was a watchable movie, but everything about it is strange to me. Superman getting power from plants, random nuclear explosions, Heart attacks, Joker shooting people left and right, it just didn't work for me. Batman Beyond is for me the best choice by far.

__________________
SPIDER-MAN, Favorite Hero
JLA, Favorite Team(Well, really the X-MEN, but my name is sticking)

spidermanJLA!~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #66
ThePhantasm
Feedin' the Wampa
 
ThePhantasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 11,755
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
/\ that is awesome
I hate it. Reminds me too much of a Dremora from the Elder Scrolls.

If they ever make a BB live action, the suit should not look that complex. Its a mess.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow_22 View Post
Look for reports of mysterious heroism in the next 6 years. Then check back on this thread
Countdown to Mysterious Heroism | H.E.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:48 AM   #67
Rich-k-
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 8
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

im all pretty new to this, i watched batman beyond when i was younger when it first came out but i dont really remember much of it, and im looking to buy the animated series so i can get into the batman story properly, is the TDK returns and beyond linked in anyway? i love the the bruce wayne story, the darkness and the more adult based feel you get with the batman story if that makes sense?

Rich-k- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #68
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz
 
BlueLightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,305
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-k- View Post
im all pretty new to this, i watched batman beyond when i was younger when it first came out but i dont really remember much of it, and im looking to buy the animated series so i can get into the batman story properly, is the TDK returns and beyond linked in anyway? i love the the bruce wayne story, the darkness and the more adult based feel you get with the batman story if that makes sense?
Well, Beyond have some nods to The Dark Knight Returns but nothing major. They are two very different interpretations, I recommend both but my favorite is Beyond.

__________________

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

BlueLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #69
Hamill-Joker
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 756
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

I like Batman Beyond more, pretty much because I like where the characters are and how they are portrayed. I like Bruce's involvement in Terry's work as Batman, and their mentor/student relationship. And I like Barbara becoming Police Commissioner with her reluctant but accepting relationship with Terry.

I see it as a more grounded and steady future than that of TDKReturns. The ironic thing is that while Batman Beyond's supposed intention is to be a kids show, it can at times feel darker than Batman:TAS ever got.

I really like the villains Inque and Blight, and the concepts of Shriek and Spellbinder. While I think the best stuff mostly takes place in the first season, I do really enjoy the episodes Eyewitness and The Call Part I and II.

Hamill-Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:56 AM   #70
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,444
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

I wouldn't necessarily want a suit as busy as the one above for a Beyond movie, but that is still a very nice piece of artwork. Very nice detail.

And yeah, I think out of the two for a movie adaptation Beyond is easily my preference. We already got a pretty much perfect animated version of TDKReturns and that really scratched the itch for me. I still think a Beyond movie would be an awesome and logical reboot for the franchise. Full of potential.

Edit: Oops, guess I got this thread confused with the other Batman Beyond movie thread. I love Returns but I like tend to think more towards Beyond when I envision a future for Batman. I prefer the idea of one person being passed the mantle rather than an entire army. But that ending totally works for Returns.

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158

Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 02-08-2013 at 01:05 AM.
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:05 AM   #71
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.
 
Ponyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Wellington, NZ
Posts: 3,004
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post
Overall, I found DKR to be boring. That isn't to say there weren't elements I did like: the mutant gang, the fire, the bomb were cool. I much prefer Beyond, from the rogues to the suit.
I feel the opposite way... I was bored by Batman Beyond.

Something clicks off in my brain when Bruce Wayne isn't Batman so it already had one strike going against it. The first time I read DK Returns was in the mid 90s (a few years after I started reading comics) and I loved it from the get-go. I don't think (or at least I dont recall) that it had such huge hype around it or that it was touted the way it is today. I could be wrong about that.

I don't remember anyone saying I had to read it... though it could've been Wizard magazine telling me to snag it up. Batman Beyond interested me in the premise but the follow through never was able to keep my interest.

__________________

Ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #72
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick
 
Infinity9999x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 9,644
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Meddle View Post
I prefer Batman Beyond. To me it's more believable and it's really what I would expect from Batman and his future. I like TDK Returns but it's difficult to believe he could go out there and kick ass at an old age. Bruce was about the same age in the beginning of Batman Beyond when he retired as Batman but the only reason he was able to last so long was because he had a new suit that was able to provide better protection and allow other abilities that would make crime fighting easier for him.

It's also difficult for me to believe he would recruit a teenage girl as his new sidekick just because she helped him to the tank when he was severely injured. In Beyond Bruce was sick of putting young sidekicks in dangerous situations and he wasn't willing to give Terry the chance however he winded up giving him the chance in a way that was more believable. Terry was the body, Bruce was the eyes, ears and spirit of Batman. And it's not like he just said "okay kid, go out and kick ass I'll see you later". Bruce literally monitored and guided him the entire way which I thought was neat because it's definitely something an old Bruce Wayne would do if decides to give the job to somebody else.

I really like TDK Returns. I own it and read the comics and I really enjoyed the new animated films. But to me Batman Beyond is the better story.
I really agree with this.

I've lately been a bit torn on TDKR. When I first got into Batman, it was obviously one of the first GN's I bought along with TLH, Y1, and TMWL. I loved it when I first read it, because it was so different and so dark. I also fully understand and appreciate all the good it did for Batman comics.

However, as I get older, I also have a lot of issues with it. The first half of the story, or more precisely, right up to when Batman beats the mutant leader, is amazing. I love the way the story is set up, I love how Frank slowly builds to batman coming back, and how you only see Batman from the shadows until we finally see him diving from the sky on the robbers in the car.

However, after the mutant leader is defeated, I begin to see touches of influences from what I like to call "crazy Frank." Or the Frank Miller that exists today, who's become a parody of his former self. Batman allowing the SOB to exist, allowing an untrained girl Robin to occompany him, Selina being a prostitute, actually taking the SOB under his wing and forming some kind of underground group with them etc. etc. It just seemed a bit extreme, even for Batman. I'm really not a huge fan of the second half of TDKR.

Batman Beyond has always been more to my liking. Bruce is a man ruled by demons, and his reluctance to take another ward always seemed truer to form to me, wheras TDKR Bruce was so willing to put a girl with no training in danger. Also, BB has by far my favorite final Joker moment ever. What he does to Robin was wonderfully twisted, and still brings chills to me when I watch it.

__________________


my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down


X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Infinity9999x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #73
Mister Meddle
The Barber of Seville
 
Mister Meddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 2,385
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
Quote:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
This concept art is absolutely amazing, I always loved it. It's very perfect for a live action movie of Batman Beyond.

By the way somebody is actually making it. Costume designer Bob Dullam is working on it. Can't wait to see the final product.




__________________
"I'm not in this business to protect the rules, I serve justice"
Mister Meddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #74
Rich-k-
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 8
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Meddle View Post
This concept art is absolutely amazing, I always loved it. It's very perfect for a live action movie of Batman Beyond.

By the way somebody is actually making it. Costume designer Bob Dullam is working on it. Can't wait to see the final product.



Dude thats insane, holy crap

Rich-k- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #75
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

Both are good. But TDKR is probably one my favorite Batman comics. No Batman movie after 1986 have gone without taking some aspect out of Miller's TDKR.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.